DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Let's hope that's exactly the case.  That would be awesome.

My point about the whole LEADER aspect....there are many ways to lead, but no one would ever put the word pouting in the same sentence as leader.  He's young.  He just needs to grow and continue to learn and mature.  Natural progression for most of us.

Foles was calm during the 16 and 14 point playoff performances.   Good leadership there ... its important to let your teammates and coaches know that its ok to fail.  LOL   IDK... depends how you look at it.... my thing, I'm more concerned about the failing, not really what happens afterwards or a look on someone face?    Although I guess the smile and the "my bad" pat on the chest did probably irritate me after a while?  But even more so was the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 that kept leading to punts.   #5 could have smiled all day if he got first downs, I wouldn't care.  Wentz can do whatever he wants, just move the ball.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK that he is pouting?   That's your observation.   Like I said, last year it would have been seen as a guy who cares.   doesnt let the failing slide by so easily.     Like when Brady and Manning do it.     But remember keep smiling #5 will always love you!

Observation that may or may not be right. I get that.  I'm a big fan of Wentz.  I actually bought his jersey.  Don't own a #5 jersey.  I appreciate what McNabb did in his time with the Eagles, but there were some basic throws that he consistently couldn't make that drove me crazy!  I appreciated him, but didn't love his play.  Wentz COULD be really good, assuming he continues to grow and improve.  I'm not satisfied with the 13 3/4 games that showed he was MVP of the league. Last year was a regression, some would argue a significant one.  Why? Blame it all on the knee injury? Back injury? Maybe.  I think there's more to it than we will ever know.  I just hope he can learn and put that behind him and move FORWARD.  Progression is key!

2 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

I thought it was an Eagles town!  The Sixers have been dreadful for a LONG time. I remember seeing the Phillies won the Series once several years ago.

Eagles top for sure... just not all Eagles like some cities are with one team.   Sports are big here.  2 radio stations all sports ... CSN has 24 hour sports.   Phillies sold out for a few years there.  I remember heading down to a 7:05 game on a Saturday during their run, got there at 4pm and everyone was tailgating.   So while its for sure an Eagles town for the most part, I'm not sure how many baseball cities would sell out and have packed tailgates 3 hours before the game?    Flyers stink now, but attendance has always been good over the years.  Sixers have a buzz now with the new young group.  They will dominate the talk as trade deadline comes and then when playoffs start.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Foles was calm during the 16 and 14 point playoff performances.   Good leadership there ... its important to let your teammates and coaches know that its ok to fail.  LOL   IDK... depends how you look at it.... my thing, I'm more concerned about the failing, not really what happens afterwards or a look on someone face?    Although I guess the smile and the "my bad" pat on the chest did probably irritate me after a while?  But even more so was the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 that kept leading to punts.   #5 could have smiled all day if he got first downs, I wouldn't care.  Wentz can do whatever he wants, just move the ball.  

I think it was huge that Foles kept calm no matter the circumstance. Freaking out and throwing a fit wasn’t going to help anything. Keeping calm and then coming down the field and scoring a TD at the end is exactly the way to do it(like he did vs the Bears). I worry that Wentz is a bit spoiled. Entitled maybe even. He feels he’s a mega superstar. It seems like most  things we hear is that he’s stubborn. Maybe even feels like he knows what’s best. You kind of get the sense that he feels like he is the offensive coordinator.

3 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Wentz COULD be really good, assuming he continues to grow and improve.  I'm not satisfied with the 13 3/4 games that showed he was MVP of the league. Last year was a regression, some would argue a significant one.  Why? Blame it all on the knee injury? Back injury? Maybe.  I think there's more to it than we will ever know.  I just hope he can learn and put that behind him and move FORWARD.  Progression is key!

WHY?   IDK... to me you can never short cut the work.  I'm a guy that believes in practice.    Injury aside (which is huge, regardless of how he was physically, mentally having 300lb guys trying to tackle you is different)     But the biggest thing for me was no offseason of work.   So we have 3 seasons of Wentz so far... lets take a look..

Year 1 ... names started 12 days before the season, not taking reps with first team

Year 2 ... starter and healthy from day 1, taking all reps with first team since April  

Years 3 ... rehabbing, not going to be able to start the season, doesn't take reps until week 3 practice.   

IDK.... for me, not really that complicated.   I'm usually much better at anything that I practice, especially anything involving 

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Eagles top for sure... just not all Eagles like some cities are with one team.   Sports are big here.  2 radio stations all sports ... CSN has 24 hour sports.   Phillies sold out for a few years there.  I remember heading down to a 7:05 game on a Saturday during their run, got there at 4pm and everyone was tailgating.   So while its for sure an Eagles town for the most part, I'm not sure how many baseball cities would sell out and have packed tailgates 3 hours before the game?    Flyers stink now, but attendance has always been good over the years.  Sixers have a buzz now with the new young group.  They will dominate the talk as trade deadline comes and then when playoffs start.  

Right on!  My 80 year old mom worries that I will move to Philly just because I'm such a HUGE EAGLES fan.  It's funny actually.  I do wish that I had the money and time to go to ALL  of their games.  Alas, I don't so I will enjoy them on the NFL Sunday Ticket.   The local channels here are fascinated with the Seattle Seachickens and the Denver Donkeys, two teams I don't like at all.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think it was huge that Foles kept calm no matter the circumstance. Freaking out and throwing a fit wasn’t going to help anything. Keeping calm and then coming down the field and scoring a TD at the end is exactly the way to do it(like he did vs the Bears). I worry that Wentz is a bit spoiled. Entitled maybe even. He feels he’s a mega superstar. It seems like most  things we hear is that he’s stubborn. Maybe even feels like he knows what’s best. You kind of get the sense that he feels like he is the offensive coordinator.

Yep ... none of these worries in 2017  ... lol.     Wonder why????   

We didn’t know the behind the scenes stuff as much. Now we are learning more about him. And 2017 he had DeFellipo and Reich. We are hearing he was that way with them even. He isn’t likely to get that level of QB coach and OC again. 

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We didn’t know the behind the scenes stuff as much. Now we are learning more about him. And 2017 he had DeFellipo and Reich. We are hearing he was that way with them even. He isn’t likely to get that level of QB coach and OC again. 

Oh yeah ... we are learning things like Bryce Harper signed with the Phillies ... Covington kids were threatening the drummer etc.   It's all 100% facts that we are learning.    I mean .... " I'm the best thing Carson Wentz has going for him"  quote from Joe S the guy with his 15 minutes of fame last week.     Yeah... very reliable.  No agenda there either if you look at his history.   Yep... we are learning a lot for sure!  What was the Harper contract again?  Lets call Joe S.  

So lets stop worrying about all the BS stuff now and just look at what needs to be done.    Here are things I would like to see.

1.  Stop RPOs as the main idea.  Use them sparingly.

2.  Doug, stick with the run ... early in sequences, regardless of the fact if it works or not on its own, the offense works better when they need to play the run early.     So 2A .. make sure you have RBs that you feel confident can handle the job.   I believe a big problem during the games Wentz played early on. 

3.   Allow the QB to run when he needs to.  

You do these 3 things, it all slows down the pass rush while making the offense less predictable.  Giving the QB time should be a main point in any offense.  It allows moe things to happen.     Staying healthy would help too, can't really blame anyone for that.  We were healthy at the end of the year though ... 16 points and 14 points ... so a few changes would help.  

1 hour ago, senhorcook said:

Stupid question, but what's the fascination with Perriman? He was a first round bust with the Ravens and hasn't been able to stick anywhere since.  What does that tell you about the person.....not the player.....the person?  He's not talented ENOUGH to overcome whatever baggage he has. Or he just isn't talented enough period.

BS-he's talented plenty and I am not "fascinated" Like JONES(who we HAVE) he has had early injury issues.The Ravens had MORE HEALTHY options at the time.That's not a bust in my book.If he's not 100% of course move on,but if he IS......

Fournette?  Why are fans clamoring for him so badly?  To me it seems as if he is a guy that plays when he wants to.  I don't want that kind of player in my locker room.  We've seen them before.  Not good for a team.

He plays when he wants to? Maybe the play calling changed? Maybe he wasnt giving his all because they took pay away? Maybe his O line stunk up the place? many reasons

As for the Pro Bowl....... what is that game? It's HORRIBLE!  Why play it? It's stupid!  Touch football at best. Put flags on them or just do skills challenges.  Painful thing they call a GAME.  I couldn't watch it for more than 5 minutes.....turned it to golf and watching golf bores me to tears.  I love playing golf, but watching it is like watching paint dry.  Come to think of it, watching paint dry may be more entertaining than the pro bowl. haha.

Went to one in Hawaii.It's not a game really,it's a chance for fans to get up close to their fav players.I had fun GOING,but yeah just to watch it is boredom city

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

IDK that he is pouting?   That's your observation.   Like I said, last year it would have been seen as a guy who cares.   doesnt let the failing slide by so easily.     Like when Brady and Manning do it.     But remember keep smiling #5 will always love you!

Maybe the pout was because he was upset with himself? You've never done that? An "I wanna take that back" play?

40 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Oh yeah ... we are learning things like Bryce Harper signed with the Phillies ... Covington kids were threatening the drummer etc.   It's all 100% facts that we are learning.    I mean .... " I'm the best thing Carson Wentz has going for him"  quote from Joe S the guy with his 15 minutes of fame last week.     Yeah... very reliable.  No agenda there either if you look at his history.   Yep... we are learning a lot for sure!  What was the Harper contract again?  Lets call Joe S.  

What I was referring to is Wentz admitting he argued with his college OC. Reich admitted to their arguments. Mostly I’m taking from people’s defense of Wentz from the article. It was telling. In his defense they still had to admit how stubborn he is. That he’s type A personality.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

What I was referring to is Wentz admitting he argued with his college OC. Reich admitted to their arguments. Mostly I’m taking from people’s defense of Wentz from the article. It was telling. In his defense they still had to admit how stubborn he is. That he’s type A personality.

He's german,I am 1/2 german we are stubborn as ...

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

He's german,I am 1/2 german we are stubborn as ...

we need to be lol

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I'd wager that Brady has argued with every OC he's had since he came to the Patsies.

It's how you resolve the argument that is important

18 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

About time

1 minute ago, ASG15 said:

I'd wager that Brady has argued with every OC he's had since he came to the Patsies.

BOOM

34 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So lets stop worrying about all the BS stuff now and just look at what needs to be done.    Here are things I would like to see.

1.  Stop RPOs as the main idea.  Use them sparingly.

2.  Doug, stick with the run ... early in sequences, regardless of the fact if it works or not on its own, the offense works better when they need to play the run early.     So 2A .. make sure you have RBs that you feel confident can handle the job.   I believe a big problem during the games Wentz played early on. 

3.   Allow the QB to run when he needs to.  

You do these 3 things, it all slows down the pass rush while making the offense less predictable.  Giving the QB time should be a main point in any offense.  It allows moe things to happen.     Staying healthy would help too, can't really blame anyone for that.  We were healthy at the end of the year though ... 16 points and 14 points ... so a few changes would help.  

I can’t agree with number 2. First down is the easiest down to throw on. Not to mention you are trying to become incredibly predictable by wanting to always run. The second half I agree with though. We need trustworthy RBs.

On 3 I would add a huge key would be get Wentz rolling out. Especially when the Oline is having problems. I can understand why they were hesitant to do this in 2018.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I can’t agree with number 2. First down is the easiest down to throw on. Not to mention you are trying to become incredibly predictable by wanting to always run. The second half I agree with though. We need trustworthy RBs.

On 3 I would add a huge key would be get Wentz rolling out. Especially when the Oline is having problems. I can understand why they were hesitant to do this in 2018.

Sry Wentz is not RG3 nor Jackson or Cam.He is a pocketpasser like Brees.If he has an opening COOL,just make sure you SLIDE early,thats how he got hurt in the first place.A QB sneak or draw would be fine,but really do you want wentz in an open field tackle situation?

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Sry Wentz is not RG3 nor Jackson or Cam.He is a pocketpasser like Brees.If he has an opening COOL,just make sure you SLIDE early,thats how he got hurt in the first place.A QB sneak or draw would be fine,but really do you want wentz in an open field tackle situation?

if you DO,then you'd best hang onto Foles for dear life

3 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Yes. And that you respect the coaches. As long as he realizes everybody has a job. Nothing wrong with bouncing ideas back and forth. Getting an understanding for what is needed and the philosophies. Arguing and being stubborn maybe not so great. Pedey is the real offensive mastermind. But he shouldn’t have to be the one to personally do everyone’s job. So he should be able to communicate and delegate to his coaches(the middle men at times).

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes. And that you respect the coaches. As long as he realizes everybody has a job. Nothing wrong with bouncing ideas back and forth. Getting an understanding for what is needed and the philosophies. Arguing and being stubborn maybe not so great. Pedey is the real offensive mastermind. But he shouldn’t have to be the one to personally do everyone’s job. So he should be able to communicate and delegate to his coaches(the middle men at times).

Anyone can argue with anyone,the coach has the final say,or he goes away cause he cant make decisions for the team

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

if you DO,then you'd best hang onto Foles for dear life

That isn’t up to us. Foles is welcome to the backup job here. If he wants that job he’ll stay. It’s up to Foles. I suspect he wants his own team. To give it a shot one more time.