DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

He had three passes. Completed two of them. The incomplete he got hit and still threw a good ball. Alshon couldn’t come down with it or create enough separation. That’s the whole third quarter of offense. Stop blaming the QB play. Third quarter he was good. Didn’t have the ball. How is Foles supposed to produce points when the defense is on the field the whole time? 

So how do you grade Foles for the third quarter? Three pass attempts. One ordinary completion. One spectacular pass. And one good ball under heavy pressure that the WR doesn’t come down with. I give a B. Tempted to go higher with taking the double hit and throwing a great ball. Only three passing attempts is tough to judge though.

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

DWD I think I just clearly established that Foles wasn’t to blame in the third quarter. The Saints had  the ball the whole time. They kept committing penalties and our D kept letting them off the hook. It was an 11:28 drive

Ham, I never blamed the loss on Foles. Right after the game was over I got on here and blamed the coaching staff for the loss and I still believe that assumption to this day. The Eagles moved the ball in the quarter with no problems. The Saints took that offense away for the rest of the game and Pederson and Groh had no answer for it that worked. Same players were on the field the rest of the game that were on the field in the first quarter but our coaches got out coached.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Thanks for that DC. The only real downside to accepting the fifth year option

You guys are always welcome.

So to finish: 

3rd drive) 10 minutes to go. Peters is out injured. 5 yard quick pass to Alshon. Then blitz...Foles gets rid of it quick..Nellie doesn’t realize or even turn around for the pass. Incomplete. Next play pass to Ertz. Incomplete. Oh wait pass interference on the corner in coverage on Ertz. First down quick pass to Ertz but LB makes the tackle quickly for a 2 yard gain only. Next play Foles delivers a strike to Tate at the sticks. Hits him in both hands but Apple knocks it away in coverage. Incomplete. 3rd and 8 Blitz! Foles rushes it just a bit to JMatt.

Not a good pass by Foles. Probably one of the more memorable moments for those that thought Foles sucked in this game. JMatt got open at the sticks on an out. No run game. One dimension offense. With Brooks and Peters out now. Saints are blitzing with no fear now.

4th drive) pass to Tate incomplete. 16 yard pass to Ertz. Then 15 yard roughing the passer penalty. Obviously is pass,pass, pass mode but wait.... run for no gain on the obvious passing situation. Great! Clock ticking towards the two minute warning. No need to rush. But Foles gets them to the line and  zing perfect ball to Jeffrey...no wait...right through his hands...nooooooo Lattimore is sitting waiting for the gift....interception. Game over! 😥

So Foles worst quarter was the fourth. Tate dropped a pass(Apple got his hand in there), Jeffrey dropped a pass(int), Jeffrey fell down, Agholor didn’t look back(50/50 on this one. Could Foles have held it just a beat longer absorbing the blitzing pass rushing hit?), a pass interference on Ertz(not Foles fault it wasn’t a completion. Worked out for the team but doesn’t show in QB stats), one incompletion Roughing the passer penalty (obviously the blitz hit home.). 

A few good passes and decisions this quarter from Foles. Two bad passes. The third down to JMatt was a missed throw on third down that hurt. And I personally was yelling at the tv to just wait for the two minute warning, regroup and don’t rush anything. Two minutes was plenty of time to do what we needed. Plus I really didn’t want to give Brees anything to answer back. But the execution by Foles was spot on with a beautiful spiral right in to the slant of Jeffrey at the 23 yard line. Jeffrey was wide open on a great playcall. We all saw it. 23 yards away from paydirt with just under two minutes to go. I would have felt confident coming out of the two minute timeout. 

Kind of  feel like I have to give the fourth quarter grade for Foles of....Incomplete. What would have happened after the two minute timeout? His grade was on the line. Our season was on the line. EVERYTHING WAS ON THE LINE!

Conclusion: I just can’t figure how someone could say Foles sucked. I can only place blame on him for three ...maybe four bad plays in the whole game. None terrible.  That’s against the number one seed, that was well rested in a hostile environment of the Superdome.

The rushing game sucked: check. The in game injuries sucked(Brooks, Peters, Cox, Douglas, Maddox): check. Very similar feeling last time we played the Saints in the playoffs. The defense just couldn’t get off the field.

Getting McLeod to rework his deal is huge.....I have said numerous times Think our D is at its best when we have 3 good S.....Still would not rule out Adderly(or another top S for us in the 1st or 2nd round )

So is Adderley worth a first or even second round pick after he struggled so bad in man coverage at the Senior Bowl? Having previously played CB that was supposed to be a strength. I even read where watching his tape was sloppy because QBs he faced didn’t have the arm strength to challenge him. He got beat deep at the Senior Bowl by the real QB. And I’ve read scouting that questioned his run stopping. Punishes crossing receivers but bounces off RBs too often by not wrapping up. Solely a single high S that needs development.

I have seen him ranked as the top S many places. The Bama S was number one but really struggled the second half of the season and was exposed.  But the Senior Bowl brought about some big negatives with Adderley in practice and the game. No denying his return abilities though.

So I question Adderley’s versatility, his run support,man coverage, NFL readiness and not great tech on his back pedal. He’s a playmaker type but can he make the consistent routine plays?

15 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

@joemas6 Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Eagles would get a comp pick for Agholor.

Good work DC!    

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So is Adderley worth a first or even second round pick after he struggled so bad in man coverage at the Senior Bowl? Having previously played CB that was supposed to be a strength. I even read where watching his tape was sloppy because QBs he faced didn’t have the arm strength to challenge him. He got beat deep at the Senior Bowl by the real QB. And I’ve read scouting that questioned his run stopping. Punishes crossing receivers but bounces off RBs too often by not wrapping up. Solely a single high S that needs development.

I have seen him ranked as the top S many places. The Bama S was number one but really struggled the second half of the season and was exposed.  But the Senior Bowl brought about some big negatives with Adderley in practice and the game. No denying his return abilities though.

Everything I’ve seen on Adderly said he had a good game at the senior bowl and had a great week leading up to the game so completely believe he is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Everything I’ve seen on Adderly said he had a good game at the senior bowl and had a great week leading up to the game so completely believe he is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick 

I can definitely see him rising up teams boards after the last week or two. He played well and looked good. And the last few first round safeties have been pretty impactful which could help his stock. 

Yeah, I still don't see the Eagles taking a CB or Safety in the first round. My guess, the pick will be along one of the lines.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yeah, I still don't see the Eagles taking a CB or Safety in the first round. My guess, the pick will be along one of the lines.

Most likely were we go is the DL but still can’t rule out a guy like Adderly in my eyes.....Eagles will like have 6-7 guys we think will be available and worth the 25th pick if none there likely move back