DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

16 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Guys let it go Foles and the run game both did nothing in the 2nd half so they both sucked our D was great we just needed more offense and nobody did squat put the blame anywhere you want it's a team game. In the playoffs if you don't play 60 minutes of football you lose. We didn't do that as a team. 

Correct!   Funny the extent of observation and documentation that needs to go into it to avoid giving Foles any blame.   This is the Foles mist, no other player in the history of our city can underthrow a pass by ten yards ... go 6 for 12 for 44 yards... and some reason nothing is his fault... LOL   Go FLYERS!     

DC is the man with the info!!!!!     Big props!   

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Most likely were we go is the DL but still can’t rule out a guy like Adderly in my eyes.....Eagles will like have 6-7 guys we think will be available and worth the 25th pick if none there likely move back 

Maybe if they were cutting a guy like McLeod, I would say it's a possibility, but with him, Jenkins and possibly Maddox playing safety, I don't see it happening. I do agree that it will more than likely be on the D-Line at 25.

Jeffery Simmons, DT from Miss St., he has some off field issues and didn't receive an invite to the combine. Some are saying he's potentially a top 10 pick, but I think he may slide. QB's always go high, regardless of how good the class is or not. So guys like Murray and Lock will more than likely be drafted in the top 10 and you have guys like Bosa and Q. Williams. I still believe Clemson DT Wilkins will be available at 25.

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Great news on McLeod. Was really worried the awkward situation was going to force him to try not to show up for training camp.

Him showing up had nothing to do with it .... Much like Ryan Matthews, he needed to get medically cleared in order to be cut.   That's team or league DRs.   A player can't pretend to be hurt.    A release from the Eagles would have gotten him a new contract with another team, sure salary wouldn't be as high, but a new signing bonus is immediate $$  Or a one year prove it deal?  Either way, it looks like both the team and the player want to continue the relationship, and props to Howie for working quickly to get this cap space prior to the new year starting.   Jernigan and Agholor decisions should be coming up next.  

In the event of any possible Foles trade, the Eagles need to be under the cap while his salary is still on the books.   Even if he gets traded 1 minute into the 2019 season, with a trade being agreed to earlier, they still need to get under the cap.   Howie needs to make moves anyway, but I believe he wants to get under the cap without having Foles come off in order to do it.  

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So I question Adderley’s versatility, his run support,man coverage, NFL readiness and not great tech on his back pedal. He’s a playmaker type but can he make the consistent routine plays?

I am not questioning this guy at all because I know nothing about him except that he is related to Hall of Famer Herb Adderley, so he at least has the pedigree. 

9 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

So .... original cap hit of $ 9.906,250  -  7.469,000 ... cap hit down to $2,437,250?     Not sure of the math here ... He already had a prorated bonus hit of $2,406,250 if you add $1.5 mil to that its over $3.9 mil of a cap hit.   I wonder if the $7.469 cap savings is for the combined 2 years left on his original deal?     

Just now, joemas6 said:

So .... original cap hit of $ 9.906,250  -  7.469,000 ... cap hit down to $2,437,250?     Not sure of the math here ... He already had a prorated bonus hit of $2,406,250 if you add $1.5 mil to that its over $3.9 mil of a cap hit.   I wonder if the $7.469 cap savings is for the combined 2 years left on his original deal?     

Joe, I think it is because Yates said "in total" otherwise, I believe he would have said for 2019.

Thanks for both the posts on the no comp pick and McLeod salary. Imagine we pushed more money down the road

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Joe, I think it is because Yates said "in total" otherwise, I believe he would have said for 2019.

IDK... could be talking in total when it comes to actual base salary plus everything else that is involved in a cap hit?    Really the cap savings for 2020 isn't paramount, in 2019 it is.    I will look to see any changes, might not come out for a while.  

Just now, joemas6 said:

IDK... could be talking in total when it comes to actual base salary plus everything else that is involved in a cap hit?    Really the cap savings for 2020 isn't paramount, in 2019 it is.    I will look to see any changes, might not come out for a while.  

Yeah, I'm not sure how long it'll take overthecap to update it. Spotrac may have something sooner though.

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Thanks for both the posts on the no comp pick and McLeod salary. Imagine we pushed more money down the road

Might not have had to push more money down the road, I think McCloud knows he wasn't playing up to a $7.5 mil level... $8.5 mil next year ... add in his injury.   i'm sure Howie added a guarantee in there, but I doubt it pushes more money down the road.   He only had 2 more years left.... an extension probably would have been mentioned if the deal went past 2020?  

4 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

MJK... its different that with the previous restructures ... Cox, Lane, Brooks, Ertz ...etc.... they all had long term deals in place... with McCloud, without an extension, there is no where to push money down the road.    And doing the math it looks like it actually will save us on the cap in each of the next 2 seasons.  I can't see all the $7.469 savings all coming this year, the math doesn't make sense.  

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Correct!   Funny the extent of observation and documentation that needs to go into it to avoid giving Foles any blame.   This is the Foles mist, no other player in the history of our city can underthrow a pass by ten yards ... go 6 for 12 for 44 yards... and some reason nothing is his fault... LOL   Go FLYERS!     

DC is the man with the info!!!!!     Big props!   

I wouldn’t say nothing is his fault but you are cherry picking stats. Was the incompletion that hit Tate in the hands and he dropped it Foles fault? Was the pass when blitzed that Agholor never turned around for Foles fault? Was the pass that Jeffrey fell down Foles fault? When hit on both sides by the blitz and threw a nice 50/50 ball to Jeffrey who didn’t really get open but couldn’t come down with the ball Foles fault? When no one was open and he threw that ball away...is that Foles fault also? That’s five passes. He did throw four bad throws in the game. But let’s not cherry pick stats without context here. You’re better than that.

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Him showing up had nothing to do with it .... Much like Ryan Matthews, he needed to get medically cleared in order to be cut.   That's team or league DRs.   A player can't pretend to be hurt.    A release from the Eagles would have gotten him a new contract with another team, sure salary wouldn't be as high, but a new signing bonus is immediate $$  Or a one year prove it deal?  Either way, it looks like both the team and the player want to continue the relationship, and props to Howie for working quickly to get this cap space prior to the new year starting.   Jernigan and Agholor decisions should be coming up next.  

In the event of any possible Foles trade, the Eagles need to be under the cap while his salary is still on the books.   Even if he gets traded 1 minute into the 2019 season, with a trade being agreed to earlier, they still need to get under the cap.   Howie needs to make moves anyway, but I believe he wants to get under the cap without having Foles come off in order to do it.  

Evaluating recovery from a knee injury...I don’t know? Doesn’t some of that revolve around questioning the person as to about his movement and how it feels?And if a guy tanks an attempt at running wouldn’t that keep him from suiting up for practice? But medically cleared...not sure what that involves.

So a S is a need. Mcleod on his last year under contract. Jenkins at his age. We could play three easily anyway. I don’t believe there is one worth a first round pick this season. Not sure one is worth a second even. I’m curious which guys fall to round three. I rate a handful of them worth that.

Completions and yardage gained are based on the whole offense. If the Oline lost two starters in the game and the blocking breaks down....that effects things. If the WR aren’t creating separation...that effects things. If the RBs don’t gain any yards rushing...that effects things. Playcalls. If the defense doesn’t get off the field. It’s a team sport. It all matters. Let’s not be like the barely fans and media and put everything on the QB. We are much better than that. We are diehard fans.

37 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

wow ... this explains it better.    Cap hit should be either $5.4 mil or $6.4 mil depending if he plays all 16 games.   So on the books probably has to go in at $5.4 to start the season?  Down $4.5 mil  from the original $9.9 right from the jump.    With the 2020 season cut off, means we can either look to sign him if he plays well (maybe during the season using some $$ as signing bonus)  or he walks as a UFA, but we still have the $2.406 cap hit for his prorated bonus in 2020 as dead money.    I'm good with that.  Especially since he should count toward a comp pick if he leaves.  

If they cut him, theywould have saved $5.093 mil ... for that $600k difference I'd say better to have him on the squad.   

I see them doing the same with Jernigan.  They can save $7 mil if they cut him ... he has an $11 mil salary... betweena pay cut and using some as signing bonus, we could save probably more than that.   Even if its close, better to have the player for the cheap difference... less money you need to put out for someone else to fill the spot.

41 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Now the out route on third down to JMatt  at the sticks in the fourth quarter? Foles sailed it and blew that. Terrible play

Lets Go FLYERS!   Clap Clap .. Clap Clap Clap!  

5 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Maybe if they were cutting a guy like McLeod, I would say it's a possibility, but with him, Jenkins and possibly Maddox playing safety, I don't see it happening. I do agree that it will more than likely be on the D-Line at 25.

Jeffery Simmons, DT from Miss St., he has some off field issues and didn't receive an invite to the combine. Some are saying he's potentially a top 10 pick, but I think he may slide. QB's always go high, regardless of how good the class is or not. So guys like Murray and Lock will more than likely be drafted in the top 10 and you have guys like Bosa and Q. Williams. I still believe Clemson DT Wilkins will be available at 25.

See my view is that we need 3 S and how do we view Maddox I think we like him more at CB and used him at S out of necessity....Now if the FO plan to fully move Maddox to S then the S need isn’t there but if not then we still lack that 3rd S....Adderly to me can come in day 1 be that 3rd S and more then capable of taking over for Jenkins(who isn’t a spring chicken anymore)....I am a strong believer in the BPA approach and not saying take Adderly over Wilkins(who I mocked to us) but depending how the draft plays out think Adderly could be in the mix for BPA 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So a S is a need. Mcleod on his last year under contract. Jenkins at his age. We could play three easily anyway. I don’t believe there is one worth a first round pick this season. Not sure one is worth a second even. I’m curious which guys fall to round three. I rate a handful of them worth that.

We don’t have a 3rd round pick not sure guys falling to round 3 helps us 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

We don’t have a 3rd round pick not sure guys falling to round 3 helps us 

Nothing is set in stone BG. Plenty can happen from now until the end of day two of the draft.