DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

The NFL Scouting Combine is a vital event in the path to the draft. More than 300 prospects will participate in the 2019 combine in their quest to achieve their NFL dreams. 

Tentative Combine workout schedule: 
» Friday, Mar 1: PK, ST, OL, RB 
» Saturday, Mar 2: QB, WO, TE 
» Sunday, Mar 3: DL, LB 
» Monday, Mar 4: DB 

Will also have to come up with a list of the next few yrs of contracts. 1st things 1st is deciding who's staying, who's leaving, do we have replacements, if not do we want a FA, if yes then who's avail? Wonder why I don't get into the draft this early - there's too many question marks. We have pretty many picks and I do like the way Bellicheat uses them on players w/ a yr or 2 of exp. No, you don't get the full 4-5 yrs of a rookie deal, you do get a better idea of how a player is going to do in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That outside WR just seems to be a need. We’ve drafted, traded, got free agents...kind of feels like time to end all that resource spending and just pony up

Well as you know I like Hakeem Butler,but he will go higher than I would want us to go.So Paris Campbell later would seem a decent choice in the 5th.Combine is really where you can sort WR's

‘58 and FL that’s why my thinking is figure out a top 35 big board. That covers our first three picks. Then you have day three sleeper picks. Really simplified version of looking at everything.

Chris Long says playing time key for him to return to the Eagles. He’s not interested in not playing on third downs. And it all just depends on who and how many DEs the team brings in. He’s not looking to retire. In fact he wants to make sure he gets more snaps. He said something to the effect of gaining momentum with a good amount of playing time.

I’m amazed by Mike Evans. He had over 1,500 yards this season. Has over 6,000 receiving yards already in his career. That’s with hot garbage throwing to him the whole time. Impressive for sure. He’s on a Hall of Fame track.

Okay Ham and GBFL,  I'm tired of messing around at the linebacker position. Draft me another Seth Joyner  (52 sacks and 24 int's).  If you can't find a Seth Joyner than I'll take a Bill Bergey. If you can't find a Bill Bergey I'll take a Jeremiah Trotter. If you can't find a Bergey I'll take a Jerry Robinson. Now you guys know what I'm looking for.

I wish we could pry CJ Mosley away from Baltimore. He’s a free agent. But I have to think they franchise tag him if they fail to sign him long term. Probably going to break the bank on him. Maybe they can squeeze out some Flacco money for him.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I wish we could pry CJ Mosley away from Baltimore. He’s a free agent. But I have to think they franchise tag him if they fail to sign him long term. Probably going to break the bank on him. Maybe they can squeeze out some Flacco money for him.

Like a lot of positions, the demands of the LB position has changed through the years. I found a guy that I was hoping some of you would take a look at to see what you think. This guy will not be a first rounder mainly because he only started for one year. He is the most well rounded Linebacker of all.  What I will call the top three rated linebackers, Josh Allen Kentucky, Devin White LSU, Mack Wilson Alabama, are all great tacklers and good in the run game but not so hot in space or pass coverage. All three of these guys will need coached up in that area and of course you  won't know if they can learn that aspect of the position until you draft them. Te'von Coney from Notre Dame is the same way and will probably go somewhere in the middle of the second round. Don't get me wrong. These guys are all good old school linebackers. The problem with old school linebackers in this day and age is that they aren't three down linbackers. The guy I want you to have a look at is a new school linebacker Germaine Pratt from N.C. State. Like I said, this guy has only started for one year but he used to be a safety that got too big for his britches. LOL  6ft 3in 240 pounds and he is suppose to have the ability to stick like glue to TE's in coverage. IMO this guy is the more well rounded linebacker than the rest of them but also probably the most risky to draft. What am I talking about? They are all risky! LOL  I certainly wouldn't want to draft a linebacker in the first round only to realize that he is only going to become a two down linebacker due to his coverage in space.

15 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Like a lot of positions, the demands of the LB position has changed through the years. I found a guy that I was hoping some of you would take a look at to see what you think. This guy will not be a first rounder mainly because he only started for one year. He is the most well rounded Linebacker of all.  What I will call the top three rated linebackers, Josh Allen Kentucky, Devin White LSU, Mack Wilson Alabama, are all great tacklers and good in the run game but not so hot in space or pass coverage. All three of these guys will need coached up in that area and of course you  won't know if they can learn that aspect of the position until you draft them. Te'von Coney from Notre Dame is the same way and will probably go somewhere in the middle of the second round. Don't get me wrong. These guys are all good old school linebackers. The problem with old school linebackers in this day and age is that they aren't three down linbackers. The guy I want you to have a look at is a new school linebacker Germaine Pratt from N.C. State. Like I said, this guy has only started for one year but he used to be a safety that got too big for his britches. LOL  6ft 3in 240 pounds and he is suppose to have the ability to stick like glue to TE's in coverage. IMO this guy is the more well rounded linebacker than the rest of them but also probably the most risky to draft. What am I talking about? They are all risky! LOL  I certainly wouldn't want to draft a linebacker in the first round only to realize that he is only going to become a two down linebacker due to his coverage in space.

Well it's always about "positioning" Where can we get him? What is his ceiling.Does he have more potential than player X? It's tricky walk on a tightrope

Also we brought back Worrilow.IDK alot about him,but Eagles seem to think he is something.Not to say we don't add another LB somewhere

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I mocked Tre Lamar from Clemson

IDK-BC,Duke,Wake,FSU,Pitt not exactly power house running/OL teams here.Maybe OK for a later round.I would not spend a 1 or 2 based on these highlights-JMO

Boston College is a power house running team. Duke has the QB being talked highly about in this draft. He was in the playoffs Championship also. Shut down that small Division III school Alabama.

Seperate: this is a review of NC St backer

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-germaine-pratt/

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Also we brought back Worrilow.IDK alot about him,but Eagles seem to think he is something.Not to say we don't add another LB somewhere

Worrilow lost his starting job for two different teams before he came here so depending how you look at him he is mainly an insurance policy. I would say he is another  Najee Goode. We need the Najee Goode's on a team but I don't believe Worrilow is the total package.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Boston College is a power house running team. Duke has the QB being talked highly about in this draft. He was in the playoffs Championship also. Shut down that small Division III school Alabama.

Seperate: this is a review of NC St backer

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-germaine-pratt/

Whatever,like my guy better

Just now, 1wrangler said:

Worrilow lost his starting job for two different teams before he came here so depending how you look at him he is mainly an insurance policy. I would say he is another  Najee Goode. We need the Najee Goode's on a team but I don't believe Worrilow is the total package.

Ceiling for Worrilow is experienced backup. He’s vet minimum guy though so no harm in the competition.

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well it's always about "positioning" Where can we get him? What is his ceiling.Does he have more potential than player X? It's tricky walk on a tightrope

At the moment I would say that Pratt is a second day pick but after the talent scouts catch up with him, who knows.