DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not really sure why we need to franchise tag Foles though? Wouldn’t it be better for a team to get him under his current option contract than the tag money?

My guess. The thinking is, the Eagles tag him based on the premise a team agrees to trade for him with an extension in place so he's not being paid $25 million for just 1 year. 

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Ham perhaps a bid war has started? IDK

I mean wouldnt that warrant the tag?

Also, the earliest date to use the franchise tag is Feb 19th and the deadline is March 5th.

Feb. 19    First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players. 

March 5    Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

Just now, Don Corleone said:

Also, the earliest date to use the franchise tag is Feb 19th and the deadline is March 5th.

I know I will miss him,but we are parting ways amicably and hope he can someday return to Philly.Still thinking Miami or jax and they could be upping the bids

5 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

Still have 15 days and teams could sweeten the pot by then.IDC what anyone says Howie is the most astute trader/deal maker anywhere in the NFL.Lurie's BEST hire

So simple and corectomundo BG! Yes, time is running out, but why in the world would the Eagles tip their hand when a trade war could develop? Any move on Foles will be done last minute. Several teams need him, as far as I can see he's the best FA QB out there. Some may try for a draft rookie and throw him to the wolves - not suggested. Expect "leaks" that several teams are interested, whether or not they're true - it's business. On a personal level I'd listen to what Foles wants and make the best of it.

4 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

So simple and corectomundo BG! Yes, time is running out, but why in the world would the Eagles tip their hand when a trade war could develop? Any move on Foles will be done last minute. Several teams need him, as far as I can see he's the best FA QB out there. Some may try for a draft rookie and throw him to the wolves - not suggested. Expect "leaks" that several teams are interested, whether or not they're true - it's business. On a personal level I'd listen to what Foles wants and make the best of it.

Perhaps Nick said "I will go here and Nowhere else" and that team came through.In another light,if there is FA we are eyeing,it's best to get UNDER the cap ASAP(or you have no shot)

2 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Doesn't matter how far you're over the cap early if you have a plan for it.

But what I'm saying is,if you get this deal done you now know what/how much you need to go and how much more cap is needed to go after the FA you want.Doing this last minute would put that at risk

In Foles' case, would anyone want to pay tag price for him, that's a gamble and we could lose that one, then we'd have to eat at least part of it. Sometimes you just have to sit tight for a while and see what offers - if any - come in. That's the business side. In Foles' case there ought to be a soft spot and if he gets an offer he wants, make the best of it - he earned it.

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

But what I'm saying is,if you get this deal done you now know what/how much you need to go and how much more cap is needed to go after the FA you want.Doing this last minute would put that at risk

In other words  ateam al;ready under the cap could swoop in and take your guy while you are still settling contracts

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

In Foles' case, would anyone want to pay tag price for him, that's a gamble and we could lose that one, then we'd have to eat at least part of it. Sometimes you just have to sit tight for a while and see what offers - if any - come in. That's the business side. In Foles' case there ought to be a soft spot and if he gets an offer he wants, make the best of it - he earned it.

if the rumor is correct,someone has already done that and felt he is worth the 25

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yes, applying the tag would hamstring what they do in FA, unless they make enough moves to not only keep Foles under the $25 million # until he's traded and still have enough for FA.

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

In other words  a team already under the cap could swoop in and take your guy while you are still settling contracts

if the rumor is correct,someone has already done that and felt he is worth the 25

Believe Cousins got 30,so 25 for Foles is not out of the question

It's not like tagging Foles you's lose all of that, it's a gamble - deals fall through all the time. You lose or gain what the final offer is or what the heck - you keep him and work out a contract w/ Wentz that's low money next yr  - which he actually is - then kicks in 2020. What happens w/ Foles is NOT one of my major concerns, time will work it out.

2 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

It's not like tagging Foles you's lose all of that, it's a gamble - deals fall through all the time. You lose or gain what the final offer is or what the heck - you keep him and work out a contract w/ Wentz that's low money next yr  - which he actually is - then kicks in 2020. What happens w/ Foles is NOT one of my major concerns, time will work it out.

Oh but as far as the cap goes it IS a major concern 

33 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

My guess. The thinking is, the Eagles tag him based on the premise a team agrees to trade for him with an extension in place so he's not being paid $25 million for just 1 year. 

But couldn’t they do the same once we opt in to his option? I mean if Foles(his agent really) knows this is going on why pay the two mil opt out? They trade for Foles under that agreement. They could still rework a new contract with his new team. It would just be at less money and Foles saves himself two million dollars.

33 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I mean wouldnt that warrant the tag?

He could be traded once we opt in on his option....doesn’t have to get to tag situation necessarily

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

But couldn’t they do the same once we opt in to his option? I mean if Foles(his agent really) knows this is going on why pay the two mil opt out? They trade for Foles under that agreement. They could still rework a new contract with his new team. It would just be at less money and Foles saves himself two million dollars.

Yes, but, the expectation is, that he'll opt out once the Eagles officially pick up his option.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He could be traded once we opt in on his option....doesn’t have to get to tag situation necessarily

Thinking we apply the tag because a team has offered us that 25,which would pretty much force the 2 mil issue.He wants to start,he would opt out either way because he doesnt want to ride pine

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thinking we apply the tag because a team has offered us that 25,which would pretty much force the 2 mil issue.He wants to start,he would opt out either way because he doesnt want to ride pine

Tag,basically forces Foles to make 25 mil,not less under another contract.This shows Foles we are doing our best for him aka he's welcome back here and he knows we took care of him

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Tag,basically forces Foles to make 25 mil,not less under another contract.This shows Foles we are doing our best for him aka he's welcome back here and he knows we took care of him

win/win

We know it's the OS w/ what's been going on here lately. Love the Foles is great vs he screwed up argument turning into what to do w/ him now - kinda funny. The worst we would prolly do tagging would be my previous - making a deal w/ Wentz to kick in 2020. 2nd worst in tagging would be to go a bit negative, meaning a deal falls thru or simply doesn't happen and we wind up trading him for maybe 6 mill less than the tag. With Howie that's just not going to happen. Unless a good bidding war happens and Howie has it in his hand, Foles does not get tagged. None of this needs to happen till March 15th - so stop it already. You guys have way too much time on your hands, lol!

7 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yes, but, the expectation is, that he'll opt out once the Eagles officially pick up his option.

That’s what I’m trying to wrap my head around is why? Why is that better for Foles? Why is that better for a new team? Seems like his option contract is cheaper than the tag. And he keeps two million.

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

We know it's the OS w/ what's been going on here lately. Love the Foles is great vs he screwed up argument turning into what to do w/ him now - kinda funny. The worst we would prolly do tagging would be my previous - making a deal w/ Wentz to kick in 2020. 2nd worst in tagging would be to go a bit negative, meaning a deal falls thru or simply doesn't happen and we wind up trading him for maybe 6 mill less than the tag. With Howie that's just not going to happen. Unless a good bidding war happens and Howie has it in his hand, Foles does not get tagged. None of this needs to happen till March 15th - so stop it already. You guys have way too much time on your hands, lol!

Wentz deal(or anyone else) has zero to do with the Foles deal.The RUMOR is a tag and trade,so obviously someone has made an offer or come close to 25(which I doubt Howie would take less than)

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s what I’m trying to wrap my head around is why? Why is that better for Foles? Why is that better for a new team? Seems like his option contract is cheaper than the tag. And he keeps two million.

because he makes 25 mil compared to 20??? even with 2 mil "saved" thats less for him

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Perhaps there's an agreement in place to trade him to a team of his choosing that hasn't been announced yet, or, they're in the process of working on that and everyone is playing nice?

My thinking is there isn’t just one deal on the table. There is a bidding war. I don’t believe it’s just two teams even. I would assume six teams are inquiring at least. The price is set on at least a third. Everybody knows that because we’d get a third in 2020 for him leaving as a compensatory pick. So if you call you at least are willing to pay a third this year.