DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you guys want to draft two Dlineman early. While the word is we are looking at a big free agent Dlineman. And we have a good Dline in place already. There are other parts that make up a team.

Seemed to me like the offense was what lacked juice.

Draft... I look at for the future... not for your current season as much as I would FAs.   Long and Bennett I don't see here as long term.   My guess is they draft to replace those guys.   Obviously other needs... we have youth at a lot of other spots that I don't know how it will develop.  Not sure Mack Hollins isn't going to be good?   WRs take 3 years is the feeling... Gibson and Hollins entering year 3.   Doesn't mean don't get a WR, just means to me I don't think draft is how they will get one.   

And besides ... rumors are irrelevent about FA ... FA happens before the draft ... lets see what happens first, lets not assume.   I will make a guess though .. .I think they go after a FA on both sides of the line.   Still draft DL first.   

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Alshon has been gutting through injuries. What happens if he gets hurt? What do we have? We got a glimpse at the beginning of last season. It wasn’t good.

That's why I don't think they rely on a rookie.    sorry, I am more of an NFL guy.... the college guy needs to prove it to me on Sundays.   I appreciate your view with holes on the team... i'm not arguing... just think there are two routes to get the players... the needs for current year... you get the vets ... you draft for the future.  The 2020 DL is going to need help. I don't want to draft that help in 2020.... I don't think they do either.  

WE do know the overall philosphy ... 1st round is one of .... QB, DL, OL ... WR or CB.      S, LB and RB isn't the history... 30 years of that is significant.  

I also think we trade down a some point within the first 3 picks.   Just gut feel.   We'll see.   

Remember, this isn't me as GM ... this is me guessing what they do.   To me that's more relevant.  I don't make picks... lol

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Draft... I look at for the future... not for your current season as much as I would FAs.   Long and Bennett I don't see here as long term.   My guess is they draft to replace those guys.   Obviously other needs... we have youth at a lot of other spots that I don't know how it will develop.  Not sure Mack Hollins isn't going to be good?   WRs take 3 years is the feeling... Gibson and Hollins entering year 3.   Doesn't mean don't get a WR, just means to me I don't think draft is how they will get one.   

And besides ... rumors are irrelevent about FA ... FA happens before the draft ... lets see what happens first, lets not assume.   I will make a guess though .. .I think they go after a FA on both sides of the line.   Still draft DL first.   

Yes draft has future thinking. Not sure how that applies more to Dline than WR? I like Hollins. He hasn’t done much though. Gibson has to step up massively just to make the team. Definitely not banking on him in anyway.

I agree with FA. I believe we hit both sides of the line. Some good options looking to be available.

6 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I do believe we see a DL with one of our first 3 picks in this draft.....Would not be shocked to see us look at a RB in the 2nd round or a WR....

Absolutely.... but ... if they go skill position.. you absolutely know they are thinking he is BPA... no way they pass on linemen if its close.  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

That's why I don't think they rely on a rookie.    sorry, I am more of an NFL guy.... the college guy needs to prove it to me on Sundays.   I appreciate your view with holes on the team... i'm not arguing... just think there are two routes to get the players... the needs for current year... you get the vets ... you draft for the future.  The 2020 DL is going to need help. I don't want to draft that help in 2020.... I don't think they do either.  

WE do know the overall philosphy ... 1st round is one of .... QB, DL, OL ... WR or CB.      S, LB and RB isn't the history... 30 years of that is significant.  

I also think we trade down a some point within the first 3 picks.   Just gut feel.   We'll see.   

Remember, this isn't me as GM ... this is me guessing what they do.   To me that's more relevant.  I don't make picks... lol

I am a believer we were very ready to break that by taking Sony Michel last year. Pats took him...we traded back.

I would wager we do not trade down from those first three picks.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes draft has future thinking. Not sure how that applies more to Dline than WR? I like Hollins. He hasn’t done much though. Gibson has to step up massively just to make the team. Definitely not banking on him in anyway.

I agree with FA. I believe we hit both sides of the line. Some good options looking to be available.

IDK... look at the WRs and look at the DL.     I think we have alshon and one of Tate or Agholor.   You want to sign JMatt Cheap then add Holling and Gibson.   Plus its an easier position togo mediocre IMO.    

DL... your line going into 2020 at the moment... Cox , Barnett.    I don't know about Jernigan for sure ... nobody else I trust at all for 2020 with either age or being good enough.    The other thing... I think the last two years have shown what dpeth can do for you on the DL.   A reason our D wore down... while PFF gives good individual grades ... the lack of depth from 2017 to 2018 was a huge factor.  IMO they will want to stack up again.   First pick if its supposed to be a lot of talent at their position they like... just seems too easy.  

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I am a believer we were very ready to break that by taking Sony Michel last year. Pats took him...we traded back.

I would wager we do not trade down from those first three picks.

Sounds like a good wager ... you get 25, 53 and 57 ... I say we don't select in all 3 spots.   Lets see what's up!   Be nice to get #69 from Jax to add to that.  If that's the case... then I think we probably trade up from 25 if our guy drops!  

We just saw with that WR corps we suck if Alshon goes down. I like the depth players(JMatt and Hollins). We have a lot riding on Alshon in that scenario. At least two seasons ago we had Torrey.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Sounds like a good wager ... you get 25, 53 and 57 ... I say we don't select in all 3 spots.   Lets see what's up!   Be nice to get #69 from Jax to add to that.  If that's the case... then I think we probably trade up from 25 if our guy drops!  

Not trading up from 25. It’s a great spot actually. A few studs look to be there still. It’s a good draft. Might be lacking at a few positions but talent wise it’s strong. 53 and 57 looks strong. Love looking at the options there. Draft prep tells me we stand and still have choices at those three spots. Right where we want to be in my estimation.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not trading up from 25. It’s a great spot actually. A few studs look to be there still. It’s a good draft. Might be lacking at a few positions but talent wise it’s strong. 53 and 57 looks strong. Love looking at the options there. Draft prep tells me we stand and still have choices at those three spots. Right where we want to be in my estimation.

Tend to agree.Getting a 3rd would also be a nice area to get a decent player.if anything we use our lower round picks to move up a bit for the better player we like(ie 3 6's and a 7th).Although they are not a major factor using those to move up 1,2,3,spots if you feel your player is in jeopardy can go a long way

IDK,Still stuck on Rapp in round 2.We manage to piece our secondary together almost every year, and seem to get the most out of those players,but it would be nice to have some solidity for 4 years.Jones may be ready to rumble at CB,and adding a decent S to me would take care of 1/2 the secondary for a few years.At some point,like it or not JP will be gone and we can't keep expecting pro bowl performance from him and why I feel getting Cajuste would be a major thing going into the future.Maybe JP can go another year,but let's get his understudy in here,so we aren't forced to put a total newbie out there(puts wentz's blind side at risk).He could spell JP and possibly gain playing time as the year progressed,easing JP out gracefully,while getting him(Cajuste) into top form-JMO 

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

LOL... DC you have the connections ... if you don't know... you know somebody that knows!    

Nah man, I just ask these guys what ya'll ask me.

But, if I ever get a job with the eagles, perhaps you can pick me up at the airport in your new flashy car?

Image result for family truckster

My other early guy I’ve been impressed with is Cody Ford also from Ok. Only one year as a full time starter. He isn’t athletic for his size...he’s just athletic. 348 pound kid that is real light on his feet. I’m impressed. Only had one full year as a starter. So he needs polishing and coaching to learn proper technique. Going to be a dominating RT. Punishes defenders.

7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Nah man, I just ask these guys what ya'll ask me.

But, if I ever get a job with the eagles, perhaps you can pick me up at the airport in your new flashy car?

Image result for family truckster

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you guys want to draft two Dlineman early. While the word is we are looking at a big free agent Dlineman. And we have a good Dline in place already. There are other parts that make up a team.

Seemed to me like the offense was what lacked juice.

Actually ham I would finally like a stud linebacker on the team. It has been awhile since we had one however there are only 4 or 5 in this draft IMO. If the guy isn't there I wouldn't want to force it with some one else high in the draft. This year the most talent lies in the Defensive End and Defensive Tackle positions. The Eagles are getting old and expensive in some of those positions. As long as Jim Schwartz is the defensive coordinator the Eagles need 8 good defensive linemen for substitution without any drop off in play. That is a tough challenge. They don't blitz so the key to being effective is staying fresh on the line. My goal then for after this draft is completed is to have 8 good defensive linemen on board for the next 5 years. If that means drafting 4 or 5 defensive linemen in this draft to end up with two starters so be it. That is where the talent lies and that is what is needed on our line. We have to get younger as well as cheaper contractually so there is more cap space available to get some of the guys you want on offense.

Joemas, why DeSean Jackson?  He is reliable for about 4 plays and one catch per game.  I mean literally four total plays of the game.  He gets hurt EVERY time he takes a shot. I've stood next to him. I'm 150 lbs and he is NOT bigger than I am.  He's a whole lot faster, but if he's always hurt, he's not helping anything.  Plus he is a ****. I don't think the locker room needs him.  He's not good enough to deal with his BS.

Why don't the Eagles, every team for that matter, follow the Patriots pattern of finding the very quick and smart WR to play the slot?  That position could be every QBs best friend.

As for those wanting JMatt to stay? Why? What does he offer? He can't get open any longer unless you have a stud WR on the other side getting doubled every play.

Just now, senhorcook said:

Why don't the Eagles, every team for that matter, follow the Patriots pattern of finding the very quick and smart WR to play the slot?  That position could be every QBs best friend.

As for those wanting JMatt to stay? Why? What does he offer? He can't get open any longer unless you have a stud WR on the other side getting doubled every play.

I am not calling the offensive plays or Dallas Goedert would have gotten more attention. I believe this kid could be the next Gronk if he gets a chance. He is a better blocker than Ertz was at this stage of his career. In fact he may be as good as Ertz is now in that category with only minimal playing time on the field. Gronk - 6ft 6in 265 pounds and 4.68 40 yard dash.  Goedert is 6ft 6in 256 and runs a 4.65 40. Ertz's 40 time is 4.76 yet he still gets open. In Goedert's early career you can see already that his YAC average is going to be higher than Ertz. If that wasn't an important stat to the Eagles they would have never brought Tate in here mid season. IMO As long as Ertz and Goedert don't become selfish and are willing to share the load, they compliment each other on the field. It is hard to believe if both of them are receiving on the same play that one of them wouldn't be open. They both run excellent routes and are almost impossible for a linebacker to cover. Hoping that Goedert does enough in training camp this summer to keep Pederson from forgetting that he is standing on the sideline during the game.

59 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Joemas, why DeSean Jackson?  He is reliable for about 4 plays and one catch per game.  I mean literally four total plays of the game.  He gets hurt EVERY time he takes a shot. I've stood next to him. I'm 150 lbs and he is NOT bigger than I am.  He's a whole lot faster, but if he's always hurt, he's not helping anything.  Plus he is a ****. I don't think the locker room needs him.  He's not good enough to deal with his BS.

Sen, Nobody wanted DeSean out of here the first time more than me..... agree with everything you said about him here with his first stint as an Eagle.

But its different now.  The Eagles won a SB without him.  The Eagles have Alshon.  The Eagles have Ertz.   The idea in his mind that the Eagles need to kiss his arse is done.  It's over.  I think he's dying to come back here.   When the player really wants to come to your team, and your team has had way more success than the player has had.  It means DeSean being an #$%$%ole shouldn't come into play.  His desire to come here and not break the bank, should signify he wants to win.  And that's it.    when you get a talented player who is not worried about anything else but winning... that's a bad situation for the opponent.    I think DeSean is past the " Bling Bling YO" situation.  I think he's past the " It;s about Respec"  situation.  The "MEsean" part.    

If I get that guy, for cheap ... give me those 4 or 5 plays a game where he stretches the field... force teams to account for that.  I think with Alshon, Ertz, Goeddert, Agholor or Tate ... I think we light it up next year.     You can take DeSean out of any red zone situations with our current group... we couldn't do that before when he was here.   Perfect fit at this exact point in time... IMO.   

51 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I am not calling the offensive plays or Dallas Goedert would have gotten more attention. I believe this kid could be the next Gronk if he gets a chance. He is a better blocker than Ertz was at this stage of his career. In fact he may be as good as Ertz is now in that category with only minimal playing time on the field. Gronk - 6ft 6in 265 pounds and 4.68 40 yard dash.  Goedert is 6ft 6in 256 and runs a 4.65 40. Ertz's 40 time is 4.76 yet he still gets open. In Goedert's early career you can see already that his YAC average is going to be higher than Ertz. If that wasn't an important stat to the Eagles they would have never brought Tate in here mid season. IMO As long as Ertz and Goedert don't become selfish and are willing to share the load, they compliment each other on the field. It is hard to believe if both of them are receiving on the same play that one of them wouldn't be open. They both run excellent routes and are almost impossible for a linebacker to cover. Hoping that Goedert does enough in training camp this summer to keep Pederson from forgetting that he is standing on the sideline during the game.

IDK.... I thought Goedert got some good action in the playoffs.  I think he is already a better blocker than Ertz.   I think we need to relax a little on last year, he was a rookie... there is probably more to it than his talent.   ie. knowing the plays ..etc.  as far as why his playing time wasn't as high during hte season as some people may have wanted.   We can relax on Gronk comparisons at the moment... down the line is not his rookie year, but we'll see how he develops.  I like it so far, especially when a rookie gets more playing time at the ned of the year. 

As far as comparing height /weight and 40 yard dash times ...etc.   I hope a guy like Edlemen who is just a pure football player with football skills ... and not a guy you measure with those other stats ... I hope he can make people stop worrying about all the dumb combine numbers.  The heart and the brain are the two muscles that count the most.   That and "football" skills, not weight room or track skills are what counts. 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

. My goal then for after this draft is completed is to have 8 good defensive linemen on board for the next 5 years.

Well... how about 8 good DL for this year ... with the idea that the players will change as the years go, and we will keep addign and subtracting.   I'm not drafting 5 DL.  That assumes a 5th and 6th round pick is going to stick around for 5 years.   We get a FA .. and we draft a couple of guys.  That works.  Then we can address a few other positions.  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Well... how about 8 good DL for this year ... with the idea that the players will change as the years go, and we will keep addign and subtracting.   I'm not drafting 5 DL.  That assumes a 5th and 6th round pick is going to stick around for 5 years.   We get a FA .. and we draft a couple of guys.  That works.  Then we can address a few other positions.  

I have seen enough drafts to know that 1st through 7th is a crap shoot. The more picks you have the more likely you will find a diamond but figuring that you drafted one defensive lineman anywhere in the draft and he will automatically be  the starter you wanted is pretty much dreaming. 

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK.... I thought Goedert got some good action in the playoffs.  I think he is already a better blocker than Ertz.   I think we need to relax a little on last year, he was a rookie... there is probably more to it than his talent.   ie. knowing the plays ..etc.  as far as why his playing time wasn't as high during hte season as some people may have wanted.   We can relax on Gronk comparisons at the moment... down the line is not his rookie year, but we'll see how he develops.  I like it so far, especially when a rookie gets more playing time at the ned of the year. 

As far as comparing height /weight and 40 yard dash times ...etc.   I hope a guy like Edlemen who is just a pure football player with football skills ... and not a guy you measure with those other stats ... I hope he can make people stop worrying about all the dumb combine numbers.  The heart and the brain are the two muscles that count the most.   That and "football" skills, not weight room or track skills are what counts. 

I think Goedert got some good action as well if you drafted him to be Trey Burton. If you are counting on him to be something more than that then No I don't think he got nearly enough action with the players we had hurt this year. Overlooked many times in my opinion. Oh Well!