DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

As far as comparing height /weight and 40 yard dash times ...etc.   I hope a guy like Edlemen who is just a pure football player with football skills ... and not a guy you measure with those other stats ... I hope he can make people stop worrying about all the dumb combine numbers.  The heart and the brain are the two muscles that count the most.   That and "football" skills, not weight room or track skills are what counts. 

You hear that Renfro? Joe is talking about you!

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I have seen enough drafts to know that 1st through 7th is a crap shoot. The more picks you have the more likely you will find a diamond but figuring that you drafted one defensive lineman anywhere in the draft and he will automatically be  the starter you wanted is pretty much dreaming. 

Right... so lets not dream with 4 or 5 picks when we could possibly be passing on a player we think is better at another position.  The big thing, I don't want people secure with their jobs... I think you need to constantly change things up each year or two.  A couple draft picks along with a FA and Cox & Barnett... thats a good core to start with.  WE will need to add afte that once Bennet and Long leave, but both are fine for 2019.  

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

IDK Wrang .. never seen this kid play.  I'll pay attention some in a couple months.   Right now, I'm all in with the cap and free agency.  Other than acquiring draft picks.. I'm not looking at any players yet.    But a guy like you are describing ... with football skills and brains & heart... that works for me.  

Just now, joemas6 said:

Right... so lets not dream with 4 or 5 picks when we could possibly be passing on a player we think is better at another position.  The big thing, I don't want people secure with their jobs... I think you need to constantly change things up each year or two.  A couple draft picks along with a FA and Cox & Barnett... thats a good core to start with.  WE will need to add afte that once Bennet and Long leave, but both are fine for 2019.  

Not quite sure if Long is coming back. He has stated that he wants more playing time if he comes back and I think that is defeating the whole purpose. If he could handle more playing time I think Belichick and Pederson would have given him more playing time. He is most effective with the playing time he now has.

Just now, joemas6 said:

IDK Wrang .. never seen this kid play.  I'll pay attention some in a couple months.   Right now, I'm all in with the cap and free agency.  Other than acquiring draft picks.. I'm not looking at any players yet.    But a guy like you are describing ... with football skills and brains & heart... that works for me.  

Walk on! That became a star in a big time program. 

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

Not quite sure if Long is coming back. He has stated that he wants more playing time if he comes back and I think that is defeating the whole purpose. If he could handle more playing time I think Belichick and Pederson would have given him more playing time. He is most effective with the playing time he now has.

Is he going to retire ... he has a contract with the Eagles.  Really not up to him about playing time.   You gotta learn to sift through the BS ... just like this franchise tag with Foles.  

8 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

What's the first name?  

Just now, joemas6 said:

What's the first name?  

His first name is Hunter

Just now, 1wrangler said:

His first name is Hunter

The kid from Clemson.  Looks like a nice little player.  My guess late round pick due to size and speed.  That's your next Julian Edlemen. 

Just now, joemas6 said:

The kid from Clemson.  Looks like a nice little player.  My guess late round pick due to size and speed.  That's your next Julian Edlemen. 

At the moment he is projected 4th round but I don't think the Patriots or the Packers will let him fall that far. JMO

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

At the moment he is projected 4th round but I don't think the Patriots or the Packers will let him fall that far. JMO

IDK about Green Bay ... they have some nice young WRs and plenty of other needs.   

40 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

As far as comparing height /weight and 40 yard dash times ...etc.   I hope a guy like Edlemen who is just a pure football player with football skills ... and not a guy you measure with those other stats ... I hope he can make people stop worrying about all the dumb combine numbers.  The heart and the brain are the two muscles that count the most.   That and "football" skills, not weight room or track skills are what counts. 

Something to think about fans

Think of it this way:  A drag racing car goes super fast, but it can't corner like a Ferrari (which is slower, but better for maneuvering).
WR is like that.  The fastest guy in a straight line matters IF he can change direction with power, balance and precision.
It is rare that a WR in the NFL runs a route without being re-routed, bumped, jammed, closed over the top by the safety, pinched into a linebacker, etc.

So straight line speed matters, but it is totally overrated as THE WR metric.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Think of it this way:  A drag racing car goes super fast, but it can't corner like a Ferrari (which is slower, but better for maneuvering).
WR is like that.  The fastest guy in a straight line matters IF he can change direction with power, balance and precision.
It is rare that a WR in the NFL runs a route without being re-routed, bumped, jammed, closed over the top by the safety, pinched into a linebacker, etc.

"Football" skills

Just now, joemas6 said:

"Football" skills

That is why DeSean Jackson never panned out in big games. Most of the better teams can play man to man well and jam him at the line.  Why did he burn us last year? Because Schwartz plays zone most of the time. I will never figure out why the Eagles drafted the best man to man cover corner in the draft in 2017 to play zone defense most of the time.

54 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IMO Renfro would be an awesome slot.He's got the "clutch" skills,kinda like Edelman.A nice compliment to Ertz in the short to mid game

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

IMO Renfro would be an awesome slot.He's got the "clutch" skills,kinda like Edelman.A nice compliment to Ertz in the short to mid game

So could we put JMatt on the outside?? I know we did it some before

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

IDK with 3 picks in 2 rounds I would hope one or 2 could start,or at least contend for a starting spot and be viable BU's should the starter go down to injury

49 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep have him in round 4-138

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yep have him in round 4-138

If later,all the better!!

48 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

IDK great draft for line players and the pack need to work on both lines ASAP,so I could see them passing on him.Geronimo a nice receiver for them,he should continue to grow

40 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

totally agree,just convince HAM HAHA

30 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

That is why DeSean Jackson never panned out in big games. Most of the better teams can play man to man well and jam him at the line.  Why did he burn us last year? Because Schwartz plays zone most of the time. I will never figure out why the Eagles drafted the best man to man cover corner in the draft in 2017 to play zone defense most of the time.

Part of the reason I would like Rapp.We could use a nice S to help out on the zone we seem to like to play the most.

Just a reminder- we have Hollins in the wings 6'3" and ran a 4.53(there's your speed Ham).If he can go and we get FRO and have retained Alshon,then we can choose between AG,JMatt and retaining Tate.Hollins good hands from what little I saw of him.Grabbing Fro puts us in a nice position to do what we want on passing downs

Amazing - Pats have been in or won the SB 4 out of the past 5 yrs, traded away a #1 pick and still have 6 picks in the top 100 - augh!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Amazing - Pats have been in or won the SB 4 out of the past 5 yrs, traded away a #1 pick and still have 6 picks in the top 100 - augh!!!!!!!!!

You can hate Beli,but he knows what he's doing lol

38 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

He's not a #1 ... here he would be a #2.   Better fit.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

He's not a #1 ... here he would be a #2.   Better fit.  

Nope he's the 2 in TB also