DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

Playing every card in this little game aren't they?

It was all expected, now we just have to wait two weeks to see if they actually plan to use the franchise tag on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone interested

Quote

McLeod agreed to a new contract in January of 2019 in order to remain on the Eagles. The new contract reduced McLeod's salary from $7.5 to $4M. As part of the renegotiation McLeod received $1.5 million guaranteed. $1 million of the contract is tied to per game bonuses. The max value of the contract is $5.25 million. 2020 is now a voidable season which will allow McLeod to become a free agent in 2020. The initial cap savings on the new contract is $5.0625 million.

https://overthecap.com/player/rodney-mcleod/1347/

It shows the Eagles are over the cap by $16 million, but once it becomes official that Foles has decided to opt out, the'll be under the cap, that is, unless they apply the franchise tag.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I think Goedert got some good action as well if you drafted him to be Trey Burton. If you are counting on him to be something more than that then No I don't think he got nearly enough action with the players we had hurt this year. Overlooked many times in my opinion. Oh Well!

 

Again... I heard there were issues with the playbook ... he was a rookie, he needs to develop.  He's a rookie TE on a team with Ertz ... lets not go overboard here.  He's here for the long haul, as he develops he gets more playing time and they design more plays for him.  I think sometimes people forget the NFL is a different world from Saturday football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

It was all expected, now we just have to wait two weeks to see if they actually plan to use the franchise tag on him.

Don, I don't think they tag Foles unless a deal is already in place.   No need to put that tag on him a minute before March 5th.   The ability to use a tag is enough to communicate during that time if they are trying for a trade.   I still think we may see a deal before Foles has to pay back the $2 mil.  That's his incentive to look for a new team ASAP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joemas6 said:

Don, I don't think they tag Foles unless a deal is already in place.   No need to put that tag on him a minute before March 5th.   The ability to use a tag is enough to communicate during that time if they are trying for a trade.   I still think we may see a deal before Foles has to pay back the $2 mil.  That's his incentive to look for a new team ASAP

You and I both agree there, it's the only thing that would make sense. The last thing you want is for you to tag him and him to sign early without a trade partner, because now, you're screwed. The reason why I said 14 days, is because the 19th is the earliest possible day they can apply the tag. There's a lot of talk that the Eagles are bluffing with the use of the tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

You and I both agree there, it's the only thing that would make sense. The last thing you want is for you to tag him and him to sign early without a trade partner, because now, you're screwed. The reason why I said 14 days, is because the 19th is the earliest possible day they can apply the tag. There's a lot of talk that the Eagles are bluffing with the use of the tag.

Oh I absolutely think they are bluffing with the tag ... sort of, I just think it extends their time frame to where they can keep trying for a trade.  Also... the Eagles informing Foles they are going to pick up his option .. I don't know if that starts the clock on his 5 days to buy back his FA... I would imagine the league needs to be notified for that clock to start?    Notifying him and then him notifying them is just good communication.   

The Eagles need Foles 100% invested in trying to find that new team ASAP... it puts a little power back in their hands.  

Local radio idiot wants to keep Foles at the tag price for insurance for Wentz.... Not giving Howie $25 mil of cap space to get players is the dumbest thing.  WTF are people thinking?    I want Foles to go to the Giants so bad.  Great interaction with their fans all of a sudden if they have to root for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joemas6 said:

Oh I absolutely think they are bluffing with the tag ... sort of, I just think it extends their time frame to where they can keep trying for a trade.  Also... the Eagles informing Foles they are going to pick up his option .. I don't know if that starts the clock on his 5 days to buy back his FA... I would imagine the league needs to be notified for that clock to start?    Notifying him and then him notifying them is just good communication.   

The Eagles need Foles 100% invested in trying to find that new team ASAP... it puts a little power back in their hands.  

Local radio idiot wants to keep Foles at the tag price for insurance for Wentz.... Not giving Howie $25 mil of cap space to get players is the dumbest thing.  WTF are people thinking?    I want Foles to go to the Giants so bad.  Great interaction with their fans all of a sudden if they have to root for him.  

It did start the clock on the 5 day deadline for him to opt out, but according to Schefter, he's already notified the team he plans to do just that.

:roll: I heard that and Sheil Kapadia shut him down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

It did start the clock on the 5 day deadline for him to opt out, but according to Schefter, he's already notified the team he plans to do just that.

:roll: I heard that and Sheil Kapadia shut him down.

DC... you see a pattern here.   The former Eagles seem to be more realistic on the situation... the regular media guys just need a story.  It draws idiot callers too.  Stop already!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

It did start the clock on the 5 day deadline for him to opt out, but according to Schefter, he's already notified the team he plans to do just that.

Are we sure?   This is the only thing that doesn't make sense to start the clock ASAP.  I would have thought notifying him to start looking for a trade, but giving him as much time to keep the $2 mil would be a nice gesture?     This one confuses me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Are we sure?   This is the only thing that doesn't make sense to start the clock ASAP.  I would have thought notifying him to start looking for a trade, but giving him as much time to keep the $2 mil would be a nice gesture?     This one confuses me.  

Yeah, I'm fairly certain. But within, I want to say an hour, Schefter tweeted out that Foles had notified the Eagles he planned to opt out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

Yeah, I fairly certain. But within, I want to say an hour, Schefter tweeted out that Foles had notified the Eagles he planned to opt out.

IDK, I would think they would be allowed to tell them their plans... which is what it looked like they did according to everything I read.   "The Eagles informed Foles theywere going to pick up his option.... different than officially picking up the option.  I would assume the league needs to be notified due to salary cap implications.  

Besides ... these "insiders"  are hilarious lately.... jumping the gun on everything.  They need to make a story out of something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

IDK, I would think they would be allowed to tell them their plans... which is what it looked like they did according to everything I read.   "The Eagles informed Foles theywere going to pick up his option.... different than officially picking up the option.  I would assume the league needs to be notified due to salary cap implications.  

Besides ... these "insiders"  are hilarious lately.... jumping the gun on everything.  They need to make a story out of something.  

But no, you're right, since it was after the 4 PM deadline for today's transactions, my guess, it will all likely become official tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I'm saying... everyone notifying each other of what they are going to do.    I'm going to have breakfast tomorrow... I didn't do it yet though ...lol   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus... I think the idea is to get all this out to start trade talks.   I think Howie wants to draw out the team or teams of interest ... in both directions, so he can figure out teams that Foles is interested in too.    Knowlege is power ... lol   But for real though.  It will help formulate a game plan on this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Plus... I think the idea is to get all this out to start trade talks.   I think Howie wants to draw out the team or teams of interest ... in both directions, so he can figure out teams that Foles is interested in too.    Knowlege is power ... lol   But for real though.  It will help formulate a game plan on this.  

Yeah, he's trying to, for lack of a better phrase build a market for Foles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think it's either Jax or Miami.Don't believe Foles wants to play in Denver and despite whatever believe they try avoiding him going to the gnats.Also the Eagles gave Foles that 1 mil bonus when we actually didn't have to,so giving back 2 mil is in essence giving back ONE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Still think it's either Jax or Miami.Don't believe Foles wants to play in Denver and despite whatever, believe they try to avoid him going to the gnats.Also the Eagles gave Foles that 1 mil bonus when we actually didn't have to,so giving back 2 mil is in essence giving back ONE 

So my question now becomes would Bortles play for BU money? Things are getting interesting lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Still think it's either Jax or Miami.Don't believe Foles wants to play in Denver and despite whatever believe they try avoiding him going to the gnats.Also the Eagles gave Foles that 1 mil bonus when we actually didn't have to,so giving back 2 mil is in essence giving back ONE 

Read reports that said Miami has no interest in Foles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Read reports that said Miami has no interest in Foles 

Lots of "reports" out there from "sources" What report said it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now