DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I get the feeling this song and dance has been choreographed between Howie and Foles for some time.

The only question remains is where Foles goes.

Jeff McLane‏Verified account @Jeff_McLane

#Eagles are promoting Carson Walch to replace Gunter Brewer (let go) as WRs coach, per source. He was assistant WRs coach. Walch previously worked in the CFL before coming to the NFL last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/06/eagles-promoting-carson-walch-to-wide-receivers-coach/

15 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I get the feeling this song and dance has been choreographed between Howie and Foles for some time.

The only question remains is where Foles goes.

Absolutely!   The contract is designed this way to where Foles got the bonuses ahead of time that he is paying back.  This gives the Eagles the ability to get a comp pick when he leaves and lets Foles choose where he wants to go.   In the event of a "bidding war"  or some other event where Foles is this highly sought after player that teams will want to give up assets to ensure they get him... then it allows time for a possible trade to unfold.  The extra win for the Eagles ... the beauty is that the combine will occur prior to the franchise tag deadline, which will appear to give the Eagles a little bit of control while the discussions between teams occur.    Especially if they clear enough cap space ahead of time to absorb the tag on day 1 of the 2019 season.  

The whole key is having 2 teams really want Foles ... without that none of the other stuff matters.    This is where I think a lot of us have our differences of opinion on what we think Foles value is viewed around the rest of the league.    you can make a case for a few teams for sure.   For me, I always think that teams want to draft the next franchise QB.  Especially now with all these cap ramifications where the rookies come cheap.  

You can list teams that you think Foles is better than their QB, but that doesn't necessarily translate to make them want to pursue Foles in a trade.  Lots of factor come into play...
1.  Where do they draft 
2.  Who is there current QB ...
     A.  Is it a guy like Manning, where history and nostalgia may give him some sentimental value over Foles for now
     B.  Is it a situation where there is too much dead money or not enough free cap space to cut the current guy
3.  Do they think they are a fit for Foles.... system, coach etc. 

All that needs to align in the minds of their GMs, coaches and owners (NOT US!!!!!)  ... on top of a willingness to give up assets for Foles and be willing to pay him.     On top of that, Foles needs to want to go there.     

Can we find 2 situations that fit all these criteria ... or one that does, and just gets outplayed in the game of poker by Howie, that they give us something?    IDK

The real question on a Foles trade is where does Nick want to go....No team is going to trade for Foles unless they can secure him for more then a 1 year rental....

2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

The real question on a Foles trade is where does Nick want to go....No team is going to trade for Foles unless they can secure him for more then a 1 year rental....

Yep... thats why I put that in there at the end.   It's 50% of the equation.  But its either a yes or no ... the team side of it is a little more involved IMO.  

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Another possible FA is Fitz, if TB decides to stick with Winston.Whomever doesn't get Foles may go there(he'd be cheaper)

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Another possible FA is Fitz, if TB decides to stick with Winston.Whomever doesn't get Foles may go there(he'd be cheaper)

So thinking Foles,Fitz and Bortles will be out there

IDK .... I keep coming up with Jax is the team that fits everything.   They are more set up to win now too with a QB that won't lose the game for them and obviously the fit with Flip.   I don't see that anywhere else.   The Giants have the coach, but IDK if they are a QB away from winning now, nor do they want to pass on keeping Eli and drafting the next guy?    The rest of the teams, regardless if wethink Foles is better than their current situation ... does he move the needle enough over trying to get a rookie in the draft?     IDK  ... and like BG said, it needs to be more than a one year move for them in order for them to justify trading us a 3rd round pick.  

A dude moving up the boards is Wentz's replacement at ND St.(forgot his name) Believe some re-building teams will go there and grab either Fitz or Bortles in the interim on 1 year deals,,which seems to me one team would have to want Foles on at least a 2-3 year deal

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

IDK .... I keep coming up with Jax is the team that fits everything.   They are more set up to win now too with a QB that won't lose the game for them and obviously the fit with Flip.   I don't see that anywhere else.   The Giants have the coach, but IDK if they are a QB away from winning now, nor do they want to pass on keeping Eli and drafting the next guy?    The rest of the teams, regardless if wethink Foles is better than their current situation ... does he move the needle enough over trying to get a rookie in the draft?     IDK  ... and like BG said, it needs to be more than a one year move for them in order for them to justify trading us a 3rd round pick.  

yeah think Jax as well.Bortles ran hot/cold.Foles isnt flashy but he's more consistent IMO

Heard Sean Mannion(Rams backup) could have interest as well....Know they saying Bengals could have interest in him with them hiring Zac Taylor the Rams QB coach(if they decide to move from Dalton which they should)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

A dude moving up the boards is Wentz's replacement at ND St.(forgot his name) Believe some re-building teams will go there and grad either Fitz or Bortles in the interim one 1 year deals,,which seems to me one team would have to want Foles on at least a 2-3 year deal

GBFL... there is Flacco and Bridgewater too.   

Just now, joemas6 said:

GBFL... there is Flacco and Bridgewater too.   

And I believe Tyrod? Not sure on him. Bridge IDK,he has to show he's healed,Flaaco on his downside

See here is my main thing  ... some of our fans... the nostalgia and the love for Nick is so deep.   They can try to justify 30 points in 2 playoff games.... an INT that's underthrown by 10 yards ...and every other thing that Foles didn't do well.     But other teams are going to look at what Foles didn't do to make things happen.  They have no nostalgia.   A bridge guy to solidify the locker room  only goes so far.   For the 3 year commitement and the $$$ ... and giving up assets to the Eagles ... they need to feel he brings more to the table.  

I guess my point is alot of teams will draft their future,grab a cheap FA if they are not close to winning,but with Foles you actually get a QB who can go for a few years minimum and so I agree Jax is the best place

Just now, joemas6 said:

See here is my main thing  ... some of our fans... the nostalgia and the love for Nick is so deep.   They can try to justify 30 points in 2 playoff games.... an INT that's underthrown by 10 yards ...and every other thing that Foles didn't do well.     But other teams are going to look at what Foles didn't do to make things happen.  They have no nostalgia.   A bridge guy to solidify the locker room  only goes so far.   For the 3 year commitement and the $$$ ... and giving up assets to the Eagles ... they need to feel he brings more to the table.  

Yeah thats what I was getting at lol.But you said it much better

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

And I believe Tyrod? Not sure on him. Bridge IDK,he has to show he's healed,Flaaco on his downside

Agree Foles is the better option of all these guys ... but if you ge these other guys for less $$ and don't have to give up assets... that makes a difference.  To me Jax is the only team that meets all the criteria.    IDK, I hope I'm wrong or that they will give us something.  Pick #69 would look nice.   Be a nice Friday night on draft weekend!  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

That's a bingo

10 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Heard Sean Mannion(Rams backup) could have interest as well....Know they saying Bengals could have interest in him with them hiring Zac Taylor the Rams QB coach(if they decide to move from Dalton which they should)

Nope, Bengals came out and said they are fine with Dalton.Doesn't mean they wont draft one however

Just now, Don Corleone said:

Easton Stick?

yes thats it

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Agree Foles is the better option of all these guys ... but if you ge these other guys for less $$ and don't have to give up assets... that makes a difference.  To me Jax is the only team that meets all the criteria.    IDK, I hope I'm wrong or that they will give us something.  Pick #69 would look nice.   Be a nice Friday night on draft weekend!  

You bet!!!

Tampa may be a sleeper with the new coach?   But they pick 5th on top of their current situation.   

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Tampa may be a sleeper with the new coach?   But they pick 5th on top of their current situation.   

Well down here ,rumor has it(how often do we hear that??) they will ride Winston and possibly draft one,but not in the first

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well down here ,rumor has it(how often do we hear that??) they will ride Winston and possibly draft one,but not in the first

Only exception I could see is if Haskins falls to 5.His play is similar to Winstons