DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Then again, Miami would cut Tannehill, saving 13.2 mill. Foles's agent knows all of this so must be talking with all these teams.

$$ not the issue for me with Miami.   Its do they think he moves the needle enough in the next couple of seasons to pass on other options and give up something to get him.    

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK about 48 ... I think they have #78 which would work... thats where the "bidding war"  that all us fans want to see can start.   If Miami is willing to give up #78, then it can force Jax up to #69.   Then we can dream it escalates to #48.  Would be awesome! 

Yes sir.   If Jacksonville is having to offer 69 to beat the highest bid, that is all it takes to get the ball rolling.  Then Miami has to mull if 48 is worth Nick Foles if they really want him.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes sir.   If Jacksonville is having to offer 69 to beat the highest bid, that is all it takes to get the ball rolling.  Then Miami has to mull if 48 is worth Nick Foles if they really want him.

Would be awesome... I don't see it, but would be fantastic for Howie.  

30 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep, you just answered it for me.   Like I started out saying.   It's not just about if Foles is better than their current QB... its about making he commitment to him instead of going in another direction with a young guy or another cheaper one year bridge ... because that team thinks he can bring them a title soon.    Jax to me is the only team that can logically think they can win one with better QB play due to their recent success.  I think the QB position had a lot to do with their bad season this year.    

Remember, we are talking enough desire to want Foles over every other option to where they are willing to give up assets in a trade!   

Yeah,could see both teams wanting him.Both teams have said(paraphrasing) they are not happy with their QB situation and as MJK stated their net would be Foles contract MINUS the 13 mil they save by losing Tannehill,so really only costing them(net) what 13-15 mil?

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,could see both teams wanting him.Both teams have said(paraphrasing) they are not happy with their QB situation and as MJK stated their net would be Foles contract MINUS the 13 mil they save by losing Tannehill,so really only costing them(net) what 13-15 mil?

At least the first year lol

Question... would you take pick #109 from Jax.    Its early 4th round ... but its a guaranteed pick.  Could probably flip it for higher value than the comp pick we could get next year.   And for all the people fearing Foles goes to a division rival, it would endure he doesn't.

I'm talking if it was the only offer on the table?  Do we tag Foles and take that or just let him walk in FA without needing to do anything and get the comp pick?    IDK, I think I would take pick 109.  I'm sure they can get under the cap for a minute in order to do it.  I guess that's the key there.  

33 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Then again, Miami would cut Tannehill, saving 13.2 mill. Foles's agent knows all of this so must be talking with all these teams.

MJK since you are on a roll what would Jax save by losing Bortles(besides ANGUISH HAHA)

32 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

$$ not the issue for me with Miami.   Its do they think he moves the needle enough in the next couple of seasons to pass on other options and give up something to get him.    

Fins not terrible,but yeah they need more pieces than Jax.Then again it's an easier division to play in

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK... again though.  If you are Miami... do you think Foles would bring you a title in 3 years or at least put you in contention?  To where you give up a pick for him?   That's the question.   Really cap space won't matter in any of these situations after looking at it because the new team would cut their current QB and save the cap space anyway.   I'm talking about giving the Eagles something compared to goin in another direction because their belief is Foles is the difference for a shot at the title soon?   

MJK since you are on a roll what would Jax save by losing Bortles(besides ANGUISH HAHA)

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

Great website GBFL... you should save it.   Jax saves $4.3 mil ASAP ... if he gets cut.   Save $10 mil if they include him in a trade, then we can cut him ASAP.   That's like an NBA move, not sure if it works in the NFL?  

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Question... would you take pick #109 from Jax.    Its early 4th round ... but its a guaranteed pick.  Could probably flip it for higher value than the comp pick we could get next year.   And for all the people fearing Foles goes to a division rival, it would endure he doesn't.

I'm talking if it was the only offer on the table?  Do we tag Foles and take that or just let him walk in FA without needing to do anything and get the comp pick?    IDK, I think I would take pick 109.  I'm sure they can get under the cap for a minute in order to do it.  I guess that's the key there.  

Yes I would take the 109 pick,then we could leverage later picks to move up in the mid rounds,if that's the approach they want to take.Believe having those later round picks gives us the ability in the mid rounds to move up for specific players

Just now, joemas6 said:

Great website GBFL... you should save it.   Jax saves $4.3 mil ASAP ... if he gets cut.   Save $10 mil if they include him in a trade, then we can cut him ASAP.   That's like an NBA move, not sure if it works in the NFL?  

IDK Interesting!!!

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Fins not terrible,but yeah they need more pieces than Jax.Then again it's an easier division to play in

***other that the Pats lol(asterisk time)

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

OK... again though.  If you are Miami... do you think Foles would bring you a title in 3 years or at least put you in contention?  To where you give up a pick for him?   That's the question.   Really cap space won't matter in any of these situations after looking at it because the new team would cut their current QB and save the cap space anyway.   I'm talking about giving the Eagles something compared to goin in another direction because their belief is Foles is the difference for a shot at the title soon?   

My thoughts are yes he could in  a 3 year span.Suppose though it depends how they draft and work FA.If successful yes I could see it,if they suck,then that shot goes away

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

My thoughts are yes he could in  a 3 year span.Suppose though it depends how they draft and work FA.If successful yes I could see it,if they suck,then that shot goes away

And BTW you get at least something you can see and as we know drafting ANYWHERE can be a HUGE BOO BOO if you pick wrong(see Cleveland before Mayfield lol)

Feel in both cases whomever gets Foles could either hit a QB pick this year or next if they feel next years class has more potential.But it buys you time

SO IDK because Foles at even the 25 mil tag is LESS than what others have gotten like Cousins for example

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yes I would take the 109 pick,then we could leverage later picks to move up in the mid rounds,if that's the approach they want to take.Believe having those later round picks gives us the ability in the mid rounds to move up for specific players

IDK Interesting!!!

GBFL... I was thinking using pick 109 in a trade for a 2020 3rd round pick.   Its early in the day on Sat, usually teams are willing to trade a higher round next year for one this year.   Just thinking then it would end up in the top 96 somewhere ... prior to the comp picks.   

Also... I'm wondering if we could take Bortles off their hands in a trade, open up the extra $6.5 mil of cap space for them... maybe that is worth a higher pick?   Say if they were set on pick 109, does that move them up to pick 98 or pick 69?    At that point wonder if we could dump him ASAP or there was a rule we need to keep him for so long?    

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Interesting concept,you have my last brain cell on overdrive HAHA

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... I was thinking using pick 109 in a trade for a 2020 3rd round pick.   Its early in the day on Sat, usually teams are willing to trade a higher round next year for one this year.   Just thinking then it would end up in the top 96 somewhere ... prior to the comp picks.   

Also... I'm wondering if we could take Bortles off their hands in a trade, open up the extra $6.5 mil of cap space for them... maybe that is worth a higher pick?   Say if they were set on pick 109, does that move them up to pick 98 or pick 69?    At that point wonder if we could dump him ASAP or there was a rule we need to keep him for so long?    

Goes back to one question I posted earlier,would Bortles play for BU money?

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'd be ok with that since we have alot of picks this year

Feel in both cases whomever gets Foles could either hit a QB pick this year or next if they feel next years class has more potential.But it buys you time

See, this is my point though    Yuo are making all these points for a team who would want to sign Foles as a FA.   I'm talking about a team wanting him so much that they would trade for him.   If you sign him, you don't "buy time"  he is your guy for the next 3 years in your mind.    I don't think you trade a 3rd round pick for a guy who will "buy you time"  ... that's been my whole point all along.   A team willing to TRADE for Foles... needs to look at him as the guy who will make the difference in the next few years.   

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK Joe that's a DC question lol

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

See, this is my point though    Yuo are making all these points for a team who would want to sign Foles as a FA.   I'm talking about a team wanting him so much that they would trade for him.   If you sign him, you don't "buy time"  he is your guy for the next 3 years in your mind.    I don't think you trade a 3rd round pick for a guy who will "buy you time"  ... that's been my whole point all along.   A team willing to TRADE for Foles... needs to look at him as the guy who will make the difference in the next few years.   

yes but it buys you 3 years time to get a QB in the draft and get him trained,which means there is NO pressure to get a QB in the draft THIS year(or even next)

Goes back to one question I posted earlier,would Bortles play for BU money?

I'd be ok with that since we have alot of picks this year

No... again... pay attention here.    I'm talking the Eagles taking Bortles off of the Jags hands... freeing up MORE cap space for them via a trade as compared to if they just cut him.   Then... just cutting Bortles ASAP.    He has no say in anything.  Just a pawn in the trade between 2 teams that don't want him and he becomes a FA. Same as if he was cut.   

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

yes but it buys you 3 years time to get a QB in the draft and get him trained,which means there is NO pressure to get a QB in the draft THIS year(or even next)

So could another Bridge QB... you don't pay $20 mil for a guy and trade for him just to buy you time... you think he's a difference maker, otherwise use both the cap space and the draft pick to help your team.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

No... again... pay attention here.    I'm talking the Eagles taking Bortles off of the Jags hands... freeing up MORE cap space for them via a trade as compared to if they just cut him.   Then... just cutting Bortles ASAP.    He has no say in anything.  Just a pawn in the trade between 2 teams that don't want him and he becomes a FA. Same as if he was cut.   

I'd be fine with that unless they feel Bortles could be an adequate BU to Wentz.I DO think we like Suds enough to where we could do what you are saying