DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Just now, joemas6 said:

So could another Bridge QB... you don't pay $20 mil for a guy and trade for him just to buy you time... you think he's a difference maker, otherwise use both the cap space and the draft pick to help your team.  

a 2- 3 year bridge sure gets you time,and who knows,if he flourishes,you re-sign him,so there is more potential 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'd be fine with that unless they feel Bortles could be an adequate BU to Wentz.I DO think we like Suds enough to where we could do what you are saying

He has $6.5 mil guaranteed in salary.  I don't think the Eagles are going to pay that.  they need the cap space.  

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

a 2- 3 year bridge sure gets you time,and who knows,if he flourishes,you re-sign him,so there is more potential 

See IMO this would be a good thing for Miami.He can play if they surround him with decent talent,Cutler was a "bridge" lol

Just now, joemas6 said:

He has $6.5 mil guaranteed in salary.  I don't think the Eagles are going to pay that.  they need the cap space.  

true!!

See IMO this would be a good thing for Miami.He can play if they surround him with decent talent,Cutler was a "bridge" lol

true!!

What draft picks did they give up for Cutler?  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

What draft picks did they give up for Cutler?  

None,but who's better? Foles or Cutler or Tannehill? They need to decide

So next question-what do you think they do with Ajayi?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If the answer is NONE,then you draft one,but from 13 could be a bit difficult

Right ... but is the difference worth giving up a draft pick?   That's the question, and has always been the question.  A new coach you would think wants the draft pick and the cap space for other moves ... unless he thinks the QB is the difference maker.     Which he may look at Foles that way.  So may other teams.     IMO, I would only put Jax in that category if I was the one making that decision for another team.   If I'm trading for Foles ... I would want Bortles included so the Eagles could take more cap space off of my books.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Right ... but is the difference worth giving up a draft pick?   That's the question, and has always been the question.  A new coach you would think wants the draft pick and the cap space for other moves ... unless he thinks the QB is the difference maker.     Which he may look at Foles that way.  So may other teams.     IMO, I would only put Jax in that category if I was the one making that decision for another team.   If I'm trading for Foles ... I would want Bortles included so the Eagles could take more cap space off of my books.  

Well say what you want,but he WAS SB MVP and that should count for something.Agree though Jax probably has the lead,just saying you can't count the Fins out of this yet 

If the answer is NONE,then you draft one,but from 13 could be a bit difficult

Nope... if the answer is none... you can push that decision down the road if you don't think Foles is the difference.   And build the rest of your roster with the cap space and the draft pick that Foles would cost you.   Its not just about Foles being the best option.  Thats the point.  It could be like the Giants last year and they don't even look at QB.

Well say what you want,but he WAS SB MVP and that should count for something.Agree though Jax probably has the lead,just saying you can't count the Fins out of this yet 

Doug Williams and Jeff Hostetler ...etc.   Mark Rypien.    Its one game.  Its more for us as Eagles fans... still just one game for another GM looking to make a move

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

If we did that "favor" to Miami then suspect we either get another pick(extra pick now or 2020) or a player and cut Bortles

Nope... if the answer is none... you can push that decision down the road if you don't think Foles is the difference.   And build the rest of your roster with the cap space and the draft pick that Foles would cost you.   Its not just about Foles being the best option.  Thats the point.  It could be like the Giants last year and they don't even look at QB.

yeah thats what I meant,if noone really stands out,then you draft one,but at 13 it may be tough to get a rook QB who makes a difference

Doug Williams and Jeff Hostetler ...etc.   Mark Rypien.    Its one game.  Its more for us as Eagles fans... still just one game for another GM looking to make a move

maybe,still it's a little asterisk on his resume lol

If we did that "favor" to Miami then suspect we either get another pick(extra pick now or 2020) or a player and cut Bortles

The favor is to Jax... again, thats why I always keep coming back to them.   A TRADE for Foles seems more valuable to them that it would be to any other team.   I think other teams would sign Foles as a FA ... but I don't see any of them looking to trade for him.  

Just now, joemas6 said:

The favor is to Jax... again, thats why I always keep coming back to them.   A TRADE for Foles seems more valuable to them that it would be to any other team.   I think other teams would sign Foles as a FA ... but I don't see any of them looking to trade for him.  

Yes sorry

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK... could be just a higher pick.... that would make more sense in JAX case... they have picks 69, 98 and 109.    which is another good reason a trade with them makes sense... they have 3 picks that are on some level with the 3rd round comp pick.  That are both after two nice high draft picks at #s 7 & 38  

So what about Ajayi.Thats another interesting situation

Said I agreed that Jax has the lead here

Ajayi... let him get offers, if he doesn't like them I will sign him here for cheap after the draft.  The day after losing him wouldnt count towards getting a comp pick.  Which I believe is the Tuesday 10 days after the draft.    I would tell his agent that.  We'll talk then, until that time, go look for your best deal.       

30 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

No... again... pay attention here.    I'm talking the Eagles taking Bortles off of the Jags hands... freeing up MORE cap space for them via a trade as compared to if they just cut him.   Then... just cutting Bortles ASAP.    He has no say in anything.  Just a pawn in the trade between 2 teams that don't want him and he becomes a FA. Same as if he was cut.   

That's dirty pool but legal. Would suck for Bortles, Eagels' player handling rep would get a bit tarnished as well.

A lot of this may get settled w/o all the intrigue. Foles and his agent decide which team(s) he'd be interested in going to, everyone gets on their phones and work something out. Not everything needs to be full of drama and intrigue. I'd avtually like to see it all done w/o the tag.

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

That's dirty pool but legal. Would suck for Bortles, Eagels' player handling rep would get a bit tarnished as well.

A lot of this may get settled w/o all the intrigue. Foles and his agent decide which team(s) he'd be interested in going to, everyone gets on their phones and work something out. Not everything needs to be full of drama and intrigue. I'd avtually like to see it all done w/o the tag.

Why is it dirty?    He can just get cut, its the same thing?   He would be a free agent either way?   

Why is it dirty?    He can just get cut, its the same thing?   He would be a free agent either way?   

Hey maybe we can finagle a 26 million deal with Denver for him(Bortles).Not like they didnt do it before HAHAHAHAHA

2 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

For Bortles there is zero difference in getting released or getting traded then immediately released.   He will probably know it ahead of time anyway.    The thing that makes it a little more complicated is that he has $6.5 mil guaranteed of salary.  With a $1 mil roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year.    I think the Eagles would probably look to work something out with him, some kind of buyout situation... or maybe something wit ha signing bonus where he gets the $$ up front, but its less, and spread out over a few years... where some comes off if he gets job elsewhere.  Foles original contract had a signing bonus prorated over like 4 years even though it was a 2 year deal.   Howie is creative.   

But for that creativity... he should ask for a higher pick.  

MJK, I don't think we see a tag unless its necessary do to not getting it done in time.  I also think from Foles end there won't be drama.   The thing is that 2 teams need to get involved for the Eagles to get something.    Or else why would his new team give us something?   Like I said, Jax could be that team because we could take Bortles off their books.... $10.8 mil    That's worth something IMO.    Without any other suiter for Foles ... might still be worth pick 109.   Which the Eagles may decide is enough.   A second team that has nutual interest with Foles ... that can elevate the asking price.     Thats really the drama.  Everything else is pretty simple IMO.  

The discussion at this point is which teams may want to give up something for Foles, and what would that something be?   More interesting topic than the actual game this past Sunday ... lol.... said but true.  

Pick 109 isn’t worth it. There are risks involved with this situation. Not worth going through all that for 109. I’d rather just part ways and wish him well. Not have to worry about tagging him. Carrying that cap number. And the risk of the trade falling apart.

Did notice Denver could save 11 mill cutting Keenum, still owe him 10, but he's simply not good there