DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Pick 109 isn’t worth it. There are risks involved with this situation. Not worth going through all that for 109. I’d rather just part ways and wish him well. Not have to worry about tagging him. Carrying that cap number. And the risk of the trade falling apart.

IDK how can a high profile deal of this nature fall through??? Contracts are SIGNED before money changes hands

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK how can a high profile deal of this nature fall through??? Contracts are SIGNED before money changes hands

If all thats offered is 109 you turn it down?

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Teams have lawyers,players have lawyers,agents have lawyers,all their lawyers have lawyers.I think every "i" will be dotted.It's not like "oh we promise" on a hand shake lol

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

They can fall through with a team backing out before anything becomes official on March 13th

5 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

They can fall through with a team backing out before anything becomes official on March 13th

I'm with GBFL... the deals (both the trade & Foles contract with new team)  would have to be done before the tag.   No risk, nobody at that point would back out.  Foles makes his decision to go to a team that 100% knows they want him.  The cost shouldn't be more than a 3rd round pick, if it is, then the demand for Foles was there, yet still both the new team and Foles are happy with the result.  

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Nothing violates anything without a player or team complaint.   Again, people are confusing the order of how things should happen.   A trade and a new contract should be both agreed upon prior to any tag... that means all 3 parties get what they want.  

4 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Nothing wrong with adding a paisan named Joe!   HOLLA!

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Pick 109 isn’t worth it. There are risks involved with this situation. Not worth going through all that for 109. I’d rather just part ways and wish him well. Not have to worry about tagging him. Carrying that cap number. And the risk of the trade falling apart.

Ham, let me ask you.   Foles (the same guy you went through lengths defending)  you think a team would back out of a deal for him?   The guy thats so in demand, the guy where a ball underthrown by ten yards wasn't really his fault.    You think a team would meet with him, mutually agree to a contract and then they would back out?   You think Foles would back out of a place he wants to go to?     All this gets done before the tag is placed.  The the new contract agreed upon ... the trade agreed upon.   The trade announced similar to Smith last year... most likely the Eagles allow either Foles or the new team to announce the trade first.   The Eagles already needing to be under the cap to fit in the trade anyway.  

How does that look like with the team or Foles backing out?   

I went to lengths defending that Foles doesn’t suck. I never called him the greatest or anything. I just believe there were plenty of reasons we lost. 

I think each NFL franchise is effectively their own corporation. It’s business.  Let’s say the shoe on the other foot(to pretend). And Rosie agrees to a trade and then backs out. He sticks that team with franchise tagging their backup QB. We would applaud that shrewd move. And we’d be laughing at that franchise.

Now back to reality. Technically a team can’t negotiate with Foles right now. That would be tampering. You guys can talk about lawyers and this and that. But we don’t have rights to trade him unless he signs his franchise tag. And he can’t officially(legally) sign some new contract with another team until the trade is complete. 

So you have two sides here. Eagles and Foles. For our benefit you might actually not want Foles agent talking to all these other teams. They could conspire to block a trade. It’s a bit tricky of a situation. Foles side would want to be a free agent. That’s just common sense. So it’s not really in his best interest to facilitate a trade.

6 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I went to lengths defending that Foles doesn’t suck. I never called him the greatest or anything. I just believe there were plenty of reasons we lost. 

I think each NFL franchise is effectively their own corporation. It’s business.  Let’s say the shoe on the other foot(to pretend). And Rosie agrees to a trade and then backs out. He sticks that team with franchise tagging their backup QB. We would applaud that shrewd move. And we’d be laughing at that franchise.

Now back to reality. Technically a team can’t negotiate with Foles right now. That would be tampering. You guys can talk about lawyers and this and that. But we don’t have rights to trade him unless he signs his franchise tag. And he can’t officially(legally) sign some new contract with another team until the trade is complete. 

So you have two sides here. Eagles and Foles. For our benefit you might actually not want Foles agent talking to all these other teams. They could conspire to block a trade. It’s a bit tricky of a situation. Foles side would want to be a free agent. That’s just common sense. So it’s not really in his best interest to facilitate a trade.

6 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Noone's negotiating with Foles,they are negotiating(possibly) with the Eagles org.THAT deal MUST go through first(aka tag or no tag).Calling the Eagles and saying "we are interested in Foles,what would that cost us?" is not tampering that I am aware of

13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I'm with GBFL... the deals (both the trade & Foles contract with new team)  would have to be done before the tag.   No risk, nobody at that point would back out.  Foles makes his decision to go to a team that 100% knows they want him.  The cost shouldn't be more than a 3rd round pick, if it is, then the demand for Foles was there, yet still both the new team and Foles are happy with the result.  

I'm not suggesting it would happen, however, that is one of the scenario's as to why a deal could fall through.

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Let’s say the shoe on the other foot(to pretend). And Rosie agrees to a trade and then backs out. He sticks that team with franchise tagging their backup QB. We would applaud that shrewd move. And we’d be laughing at that franchise.

1.  No I wouldn't be laughing at the other franchise... I would be nervous nobody else would ever want to deal with us again for pulling that move.      2.  I would be thinking Howie is an idiot if he ever agreed to any deal that gave him second thoughts.  In that situation in now way would I "applaud" that action.    I want a decisive GM, that other people want to deal with.

As For Foles agent talking to other teams .. its out there now that the Eagles will pick up the 2019 option and Foles will opt out.   Nothing on NFL.com that either move was "officially made"   they officially notified each other... but nothing done yet.     Why is that key?   Because itcould allow a trade prior to the tag date.   Its leaked that the Eagles want a 3rd round pick ... its leaked that they think Foles will sign with the Giants if he is a FA... its leaked that Foles is going to opt out.   So its all there on a tee for another team to go talk to Foles without the Eagles putting up a fight.  

This isn't the normal situation... the Eagles should absolutely want other teams to talk to Foles to build up a possible market for him.  Get Foles and the team to mutually agree on things... then that part is in place.   Again... I'm thinking Jax makes the most sense on all accounts... and they may want to trade Bortles to open up cap space they need, in that case, they could give us a pick.   Or maybe more is added to a possible trade.  

IMO... I don't think a trade makes sense with any other team.   For any other team, I think they would wait for Foles to reach FA.    This idea that Foles would go to the Giants seems leaked in order to get Jax moving to start a conversation.    

Big couple of days here in Philly with some trades .... nothing Eagles though... still lots of buzz.    

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Big couple of days here in Philly with some trades .... nothing Eagles though... still lots of buzz.    

Yeah Joe crazy. Realmuto to the Phillies for Sixto/Alfaro/Stewart and international bonus pool money and Fultz to Orlando and that was just today!

16 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yeah Joe crazy. Realmuto to the Phillies for Sixto/Alfaro/Stewart and international bonus pool money and Fultz to Orlando and that was just today!

Yesterday was the big Sixers move!      The trade with Houston seems ok too, could be a perimeter defender that could help!   

So fans, tell me what is really wrong with RB Todd Gurley? You don't just lose the skills he had overnight?

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

So fans, tell me what is really wrong with RB Todd Gurley? You don't just lose the skills he had overnight?

They’ll never admit it, but it’s the injury.

55 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Somewhere along the line will Duce get po'd?

For what?