DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

57 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

If you are the salad maker,I don't think the head chef has alot to worry about lol

Been busy, but watched a recorded NFL LIVE program yesterday and the Eagles tagged Foles?  What? Why?  Is there THAT MUCH DEMAND for him? Seems like a big risk if a trade doesn't happen.  I must be missing something. Someone fill me in please.  They've already said he is QB2, so getting stuck with a $25 million or so contract for a guy on the bench seems like a bad risk, unless you already have a trade in place, which clearly they did not.  Something seems off to me.

Just now, senhorcook said:

Been busy, but watched a recorded NFL LIVE program yesterday and the Eagles tagged Foles?  What? Why?  Is there THAT MUCH DEMAND for him? Seems like a big risk if a trade doesn't happen.  I must be missing something. Someone fill me in please.  They've already said he is QB2, so getting stuck with a $25 million or so contract for a guy on the bench seems like a bad risk, unless you already have a trade in place, which clearly they did not.  Something seems off to me.

Nothing has been done.   The tag can't be applied until Feb 19th.   Everything we hear is what the team and Foles are planning to do.  Nothing done yet.  No transactions on the Eagles website or NFL.com.   What you here is people trying to give opinion on things and being "NFL insiders"   No news is boring, so they need to say something.  

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nothing has been done.   The tag can't be applied until Feb 19th.   Everything we hear is what the team and Foles are planning to do.  Nothing done yet.  No transactions on the Eagles website or NFL.com.   What you here is people trying to give opinion on things and being "NFL insiders"   No news is boring, so they need to say something.  

That's a relief.  It would seem like a foolish risk UNLESS you knew you had a trade in place, right?  He's QB2 in Philly, so is the market THAT strong for him?

5 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

That's a relief.  It would seem like a foolish risk UNLESS you knew you had a trade in place, right?  He's QB2 in Philly, so is the market THAT strong for him?

We don't know,thats why all the "leaks".Howie trying to" BUILD" a market for him

2 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Sen,  your thoughts are right on the money.   It seems most people, especially the writers are starting to figure this out.   With that said, there is nothing wrong with putting all this info out there and seeing what would transpire if you are the Eagles.    Its a sexy story if you are an "NFL insider" like Shefter or Rappaport .. you need headlines and big stories to make up for the boring truth.   Articles are popping up all over the place about this.  I'm thinking for sure that Howie and or Foles have already been contacted by at least one team.   I have a feeling who that team is or where he is going to go.  Too many things adding up.   Especially where people are starting to figure out why it would be to Foles advantage to be a FA, and to the other team's advantage not to give up something.     I think one team makes sense to where a trade could happen, where its a team Foles would probably want to go to, and where the Eagles could actually help the other team out with a trade.  

Keep this in mind... its to the NFLPA advantage for Foles to be a FA and drive up the price of a QB (average price eetc for tags) as much as possible.   I woudn't be surpsied if a deal is already done, and its jut playing out because they don't want to give anyone (the NFLPA) something to complain about.    Also, the Eagles still need to get under the cap... if players like Agholor or Jernigan know this, maybe they don't negotiate the waythe Eagles would like?     As of now... when Foles would opt out of 2019 option, the Eagles go under the cap.  Without that, still moves to be made.  

IDK, just too much is adding up for me here.  A deal could be already in place with Jax is my opinion.   Otherwise, I think nothing happens and Foles walks as a free agent.    Jax would have to make salary cap moves to fit Foles... that's why I would think all parties involved could benefit from keeping this all hush hush at the moment.   

17 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Sen,  your thoughts are right on the money.   It seems most people, especially the writers are starting to figure this out.   With that said, there is nothing wrong with putting all this info out there and seeing what would transpire if you are the Eagles.    Its a sexy story if you are an "NFL insider" like Shefter or Rappaport .. you need headlines and big stories to make up for the boring truth.   Articles are popping up all over the place about this.  I'm thinking for sure that Howie and or Foles have already been contacted by at least one team.   I have a feeling who that team is or where he is going to go.  Too many things adding up.   Especially where people are starting to figure out why it would be to Foles advantage to be a FA, and to the other team's advantage not to give up something.     I think one team makes sense to where a trade could happen, where its a team Foles would probably want to go to, and where the Eagles could actually help the other team out with a trade.  

Keep this in mind... its to the NFLPA advantage for Foles to be a FA and drive up the price of a QB (average price eetc for tags) as much as possible.   I woudn't be surpsied if a deal is already done, and its jut playing out because they don't want to give anyone (the NFLPA) something to complain about.    Also, the Eagles still need to get under the cap... if players like Agholor or Jernigan know this, maybe they don't negotiate the waythe Eagles would like?     As of now... when Foles would opt out of 2019 option, the Eagles go under the cap.  Without that, still moves to be made.  

IDK, just too much is adding up for me here.  A deal could be already in place with Jax is my opinion.   Otherwise, I think nothing happens and Foles walks as a free agent.    Jax would have to make salary cap moves to fit Foles... that's why I would think all parties involved could benefit from keeping this all hush hush at the moment.   

Yeah we kinda know Bortles is outta there,some cap savings for them,Fins are still saying "undecided" about Tannehill and that there is no interest.IMO they are trying to keep Foles price down,but could still make a move.But Jax should have the lead in this adventure

Trade Rd1 pick 25 to the Raiders for Rd1 pick 27 and Rd5 pick 131... We get either Jacobs or Montgomery, either is the GET ONE YARD guy... Oakland wants DE,DT,RB... Indy wants a DT or DE... we help Oakland screw over Reich and get a 5th rounder to still get our guy.

55 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah we kinda know Bortles is outta there,some cap savings for them,Fins are still saying "undecided" about Tannehill and that there is no interest.IMO they are trying to keep Foles price down,but could still make a move.But Jax should have the lead in this adventure

What price do you thinj Miami would be willing to pay us?   They have picks 48, 78 & 116?   

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

What price do you thinj Miami would be willing to pay us?   They have picks 48, 78 & 116?   

The person interested in buying always goes low, while the person selling is looking to get the highest asking price. Knowing that, I'd say Miami would start off with pick 116.

1 hour ago, mateagle2 said:

Trade Rd1 pick 25 to the Raiders for Rd1 pick 27 and Rd5 pick 131... We get either Jacobs or Montgomery, either is the GET ONE YARD guy... Oakland wants DE,DT,RB... Indy wants a DT or DE... we help Oakland screw over Reich and get a 5th rounder to still get our guy.

Rather get a DT round 1 myself.If Wilkens is there you cant pass him up

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

The person interested in buying always goes low, while the person selling is looking to get the highest asking price. Knowing that, I'd say Miami would start off with pick 116.

Maybe 116 and a lower pick(4-5) either this or next year??

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Maybe 116 and a lower pick(4-5) either this or next year??

I'm not sure the Eagles are getting 2 draft picks out of this, and here's why.

A team would trading for a 30 yard old QB on a 1 year $25 million deal. Now obviously a deal would have to be agreed upon before any trade is made, (Something Joe and I have said since the tag was suggested) but they're still trading for a 30 yard old QB on a 1 year $25 million deal until an extension is signed and he can't sign that extension until the trade is officially made.

Also, keep in mind that it would only be the start of the negotiating process. You never accept the first offer.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

A team would trading for a 30 yard old QB on a 1 year $25 million deal. Now obviously a deal would have to be agreed upon before any trade is made, (Something Joe and I have said since the tag was suggested) but they're still trading for a 30 yard old QB on a 1 year $25 million deal until an extension is signed and he can't sign that extension until the trade is officially made.

Brady is old and still playing.Could see Nick signing a 2-3 year.I know he wants a life after football,but 30 is not that old anymore

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Or maybe 116 and some type of BU player we could use for depth,but IDK their roster

Also wonder if we would be interested in Howard(RB) from Chicago lol

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Brady is old and still playing.Could see Nick signing a 2-3 year.I know he wants a life after football,but 30 is not that old anymore

Using Brady is a poor example, it's not exactly like he looked great this year, time is creeping up on Tom. And 30 in the NFL is still old.

Using Brady is a poor example, it's not exactly like he looked great this year, time is creeping up on Tom. And 30 in the NFL is still old.

But he's well past 33 (age at which Foles could hang it up)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Or maybe 116 and some type of BU player we could use for depth,but IDK their roster

Also wonder if we would be interested in Howard(RB) from Chicago lol

Again, you never except the first offer. Miami coming at you with 116 means they're interested, so you make them come up to a price both sides are comfortable with.

7 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Also, keep in mind that it would only be the start of the negotiating process. You never accept the first offer.

Nope."thanks we'll keep you in mind"

Again, you never except the first offer. Miami coming at you with 116 means they're interested, so you make them come up to a price both sides are comfortable with.

thats why I suggested 116 and a 4th or 5th 

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

But he's well past 33 (age at which Foles could hang it up)

OK, so are you going to give up multiple draft picks for a player you're only going to get 2 or 3 years out of? Also keep in mind Foles has never played a full 16 games and on top of that, it has to be a system he's comfortable with, otherwise you're getting Foles with the St Louis Rams.

This is why if a trade is executed, a 3rd sounds reasonable. Because I'd be willing to bet GM's are having discussions like this.

Just now, Don Corleone said:

OK, so are you going to give up multiple draft picks for a player you're only going to get 2 or 3 years out of? Also keep in mind Foles has never played a full 16 games and on top of that, it has to be a system he's comfortable with, otherwise you're getting Foles with the St Louis Rams.

Noone knows what anyone will do.Doesn't matter what I think

116  and a 4th or 5th next year

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

DC... do you think Alex smith had a contract in place with Wash before the trade was officially made.    That's why forget the tag until BOTH the new team already has a deal with Foles .... and a deal in place with the Eagles.  No one year 25 mil crap... deal would be done because Foles would want a deal too.   

That said... Miami at pick 116... Jax has 109 and 98.     Miami isn't playing possum at all to drive the price down... either Jax is interested or not, Miami would need to go to pick 78, and Jax would go to 69 if they want Foles.   The reason they would go to 69 is because if they were interested at pick 98, the difference isn't going to be that much.   Miami has nothing to gain by pretending not to be interested as its not going to effect whether or not Jax is interested.   

Miami IMO, would be interested if he was a FA, not for trade.     Jax could do the trade because they could use the cap space from us taking Bortles off their hands immediately via trade.   Its more cap space for them than if they cut him now ... and slightly more than if they cut him as of June 1, but with a June 1 cut, they can't use the cap space until then.   They would want it ASAP while the good FAs are still around.  Also, not having the draft pick is one less contract they need under the cap.