DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Just saying Peyton's skills would enhance any teams performance.Doesn't make Elway a genius.You can see how he has failed post Manning,and even as a shell of himself he was better than anything Elway has done since

I'm not sure anyone has sat here and called Elway a genius

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Oh and who was the QB when they had that little run eh?

Who brought the QB to Denver?   Why do you think he went there????   Their defense was just ok too for a little while... who built that defense?   Simply because in the last few years they weren't able to draft a Wentz or land a Peyton Manning in FA... he all of a sudden is a moron?    But lets discount the first 5 years of his work ... lol    

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

It doesn't matter who the QB was, Elway was the one that orchestrated all of it. Is he on the hot seat? I think if Flacco fails in Denver, yeah, they should consider changing GM's. But, Manning was a shell of himself in that Super Bowl and the defense won the day. Who was Super Bowl 50 MVP? It wasn't Manning.

No.. Elway is fine... the Flacco investment isn't much.  They have cap space... they are bidding time to draft the next guy.     And if you look at how Elway did it.  He used free agency more than it has ever been used to build a winner.   With all their cap space coming up, he will have the ability to do that again.    He won't be on the hot seat for a while there.  If the next QB he truly invests in fails... and the team continues to be mediocre... then he probably resigns.    The issue there is that the bar was set so high with all that success from the beginning.   Not that easy to get a franchise QB, that's why its annoying how all the people here are jumping off the bandwagon of the guy we've been waiting for since early McNabb years.  

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Just saying Peyton's skills would enhance any teams performance.Doesn't make Elway a genius.You can see how he has failed post Manning,and even as a shell of himself he was better than anything Elway has done since

PHEW.... " Post Manning"    Wow ... what has "post Manning" been ... like 5 minutes?     Hilarious the logic!  

But by this crazy logic ... it just shows the importance of a true stud franchise QB.   Not the bridge guy... not the guy who had a couple of good games mixed in at the right time.  Not the young draft pick that doesn't pan out.    It's why Ham made the point before the 2016 draft that if the Eagles (with their crew of former QBs and QB guru) truly like a QB that they need to go up and get him.    We saw how that put us on the map in 2017 and got us back to being relevant.   

But now we need to kill the guy because he wasn't all pro after coming back 9 months after a major knee injury and no practice time???  The backup... yeah... he is a backup ... all of a sudden becomes the best thing since sliced bread after a few well timed games to where we think he is worth getting a 1st round pick back... bidding wars .... worth bringing back for $25 mil ... throws INT on a pass that's 10 yards underthrown yet still looking to blame other things for that?      Unbelievable.   

This is why I don't get involved in this BS. The original premise being that Elways choice in QB's has been pretty poor since Manning;

2015 Peyton Manning (9) / Brock Osweiler (7)
2016 Trevor Siemian (14) / Paxton Lynch (2)
2017 Trevor Siemian (10) / Brock Osweiler (4) / Paxton Lynch (2)

Case Keenum (16)    So yeah - it's a fact. Os would have been his only keeper, which he didn't, then chose Lynch, about the worst out of that crop. Fact - done.

33 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

PHEW.... " Post Manning"    Wow ... what has "post Manning" been ... like 5 minutes?     Hilarious the logic!  

Since 2015 is hardly 5 minutes

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Really....   so they won the SB.... had pick #32.    Very easy opportunity to get a franchise QB?      Tell me which free agents since then were the right moves at QB?    While I'm not disagreeing with anything you guys are saying .... i'm just saying ... relax .. its been 3 years, and its not like Joe Montana has been out there and Elway missed on him.   He's had a poor group to choose from ... and made one mistake with Lynch.   The other guys were not long term solutions.   Franchise QBs don't just pop up on trees.  It took us a decade to get one after McNabb fizzled in 2005.  

28 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW... since the 2015 season... where the won the SB in 2016.       3 years!   .... which is like 5 minutes in the big picture.   Wow ... 3 years Elway can't find a QB.... what does that say about all the other teams?    That's the entire Chip tenure... 3 years .  Reid was here 14 years... 11 more years than 3.      3 years is Carson Wentz's whole career.     Like I said... about 5 minutes.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BTW... since the 2015 season... where the won the SB in 2016.       3 years!   .... which is like 5 minutes in the big picture.   Wow ... 3 years Elway can't find a QB.... what does that say about all the other teams?    That's the entire Chip tenure... 3 years .  Reid was here 14 years... 11 more years than 3.      3 years is Carson Wentz's whole career.     Like I said... about 5 minutes.

So we disagree,nothing new there

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So we disagree,nothing new there

Wow... just thouhgt about it ... Sixers started tanking in 2013, which seems like yesterday .... 3 years later Broncos win SB under Elway.   Broncos won SB ... 9 months before our new president was elected, seems like yesterday.   Broncos won SB after Doug Pederson was hired ... seems like 5 minutes ago?    

Gonna rename joemas "pitbull". Sinks his teeth into a position and can't let it go. As w/ the Foles convo, I'm outta this one as well.

Durability is the question with Wentz. He Broke his wrist in 2015. That required surgery and he only made it back for the Championship game. Eight week recovery. 2016 broke his rib. Missed the preseason. 2017 torn ACL and MCL. Missed the end of the regular season. Also the postseason. And the first two games of 2018. Then 2018 he fractured his back. That’s a difficult track record going. Almost like we hope the injury is during the season and he can make it back for the postseason. Out three or four weeks in November type situation. 

NFL didn't want to risk embarrassment so settled the Kap and Reid case w/ a gag order. After watching the openness of the AAF, the NFL comes out still looking like the evil empire.

23 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Gonna rename joemas "pitbull". Sinks his teeth into a position and can't let it go. As w/ the Foles convo, I'm outta this one as well.

I'm agreeing with you guys.. Elway has stunk for 3 years.     Just saying for me ... 3 years isn't that long.  Doesn't prove anything.  Especially when talking about having pick 32 in year one after his QB retires and missing on that draft pick (Lynch ... instead of Dak? )   or not signing a franchise QB in FA ... since I don't see any in the past 2 seasons?   Andy traded up to get Mahomes, but he was in better position.  Mayfield looks good, who went first.   Other than Dak ... who did Elway miss on other than those 3 that he couldn't get?    IDK... tough call for me.    That's why I am saying I would need more time to consider someone a failure... especially a guy who brought a 4-12 team to two SBs in the next 5 years, while making the playoffs 5 years in a row.   That's all.  

23 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Durability is the question with Wentz. He Broke his wrist in 2015. That required surgery and he only made it back for the Championship game. Eight week recovery. 2016 broke his rib. Missed the preseason. 2017 torn ACL and MCL. Missed the end of the regular season. Also the postseason. And the first two games of 2018. Then 2018 he fractured his back. That’s a difficult track record going. Almost like we hope the injury is during the season and he can make it back for the postseason. Out three or four weeks in November type situation. 

Part of me wishes that he got hurt last September ... not December .... so that the Eagles would have had to go with Foles for the bulk of the season... not had the success nor he Superbowl... so that I wouldn't have to hear all this other crap about both QBs.    How great Nick is and Carson is just so bad and injury prone.    I also think he would have came back for game 1 this year, had some practice time and most likely wouldn't have had the back injury, which many have said can probably be linked to coming back early from the knee.  

But small price to pay to listen to a few idiots when I think of first SB win and all the good times from 2017.   

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems crazy to me that the market was that ramped up for Cousins but not Foles.

Ham,

2 things to consider.   

1.  Cousins has played without injuries or for long hauls ... Foles hasn't

2.  Minn had the perception of just being a QB away, not sure any team can say that right now.  So with those 2 factors, demand should be down.   But in reality, we don't really know yet because he hasn't hit free agency yet like Cousins.    The other thing, look around the league, teams are probably cautious now because of Cousins deal... and Garappalo ... QBs making money but not really delivering for one reason or the other.     I think we are seeing it in baseball for sure.  We still see some overpays at lesser amounts ... but the big franchise changing salary, we might be seeing a more cautious approach in sports ... outside of the NBA.  

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Part of me wishes that he got hurt last September ... not December .... so that the Eagles would have had to go with Foles for the bulk of the season... not had the success nor he Superbowl... so that I wouldn't have to hear all this other crap about both QBs.    How great Nick is and Carson is just so bad and injury prone.    I also think he would have came back for game 1 this year, had some practice time and most likely wouldn't have had the back injury, which many have said can probably be linked to coming back early from the knee.  

But small price to pay to listen to a few idiots when I think of first SB win and all the good times from 2017.   

You quoted me strictly talking about Wentz. So clearly the comparison between he and Foles(not mentioned) is in your mind.

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham,

2 things to consider.   

1.  Cousins has played without injuries or for long hauls ... Foles hasn't

2.  Minn had the perception of just being a QB away, not sure any team can say that right now.  So with those 2 factors, demand should be down.   But in reality, we don't really know yet because he hasn't hit free agency yet like Cousins.    The other thing, look around the league, teams are probably cautious now because of Cousins deal... and Garappalo ... QBs making money but not really delivering for one reason or the other.     I think we are seeing it in baseball for sure.  We still see some overpays at lesser amounts ... but the big franchise changing salary, we might be seeing a more cautious approach in sports ... outside of the NBA.  

Cousins and Keenam both generated some serious free agent buzz. Seems like their salaries were so inflated that a reworked deal with Foles will seem like a bargain. But Denver didn’t want to get snake bitten again this offseason by losing out on their guy. The’d rather make the move for Flacco deliberate and purposeful. Like he’s the answer. Than get into a bidding war only to get snubbed again(Cousins). 

Of coarse if you had cap and patience you could hold out until the start of the season. Have another Bradford trade situation arise.

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You quoted me strictly talking about Wentz. So clearly the comparison between he and Foles(not mentioned) is in your mind.

YES... because not just you ... all over the radio.  People are idiots.   Wanting to hold Foles for $25 mil as a backup, not realizing how it prevents them from doing anything else to improve the roster.    Not just you.   But I was making a point.   

I think in 3 years ... and it seems like 3 years is an eternity (MJK & GBFL)  we will see how silly some people were with the Foles mist and worring so much about Wentz himself.    I think Foles will be out of football before he turns 33 ...and Wentz will just be turning 29 with his prime years ahead.