DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Here is the argument against it ..... (And part of this is me making fun of some people with sarcasm)

1.  Wentz is injury prone
2.  Wentz isn't liked by his teammates
3.  Wentz holds the ball too long
4.  Wentz worries about his stats so he audibles out of run plays
5.  Wentz doesn't throw accurately for YAC
6.  If Wentz would get $45 mil .. what would a truly great QB like Foles get?

For real though

1.  forget 2021 ... Most likely Wentz gets extension this year ... if not during next offseason so they don't have to eat that 5th year in total vs the cap

2.  $45 mil ... I would assume then he wins 2 MVPs and 2 SBs if he is worth that much?    If not, what would other QBs be worth?  

3.  We have Howie ... excellent vs the cap... had to dig out of both Banner messing up at the end, and Chip messing up at the end.  

4.  Look around ... we will have some other contracts coming off the books by then.. cap situation will flip back around.  

In reality ... look for an extension to be in place through 2024 or 2025 at this time next year if not sooner.  My guess... less than $30 mil per year... when looking at the cap hits starting 2020. 

Nuttin I can argue with here lol

On 2/23/2019 at 12:49 AM, joemas6 said:

Here is the argument against it ..... (And part of this is me making fun of some people with sarcasm)

1.  Wentz is injury prone
2.  Wentz isn't liked by his teammates
3.  Wentz holds the ball too long
4.  Wentz worries about his stats so he audibles out of run plays
5.  Wentz doesn't throw accurately for YAC
6.  If Wentz would get $45 mil .. what would a truly great QB like Foles get?

For real though

1.  forget 2021 ... Most likely Wentz gets extension this year ... if not during next offseason so they don't have to eat that 5th year in total vs the cap

2.  $45 mil ... I would assume then he wins 2 MVPs and 2 SBs if he is worth that much?    If not, what would other QBs be worth?  

3.  We have Howie ... excellent vs the cap... had to dig out of both Banner messing up at the end, and Chip messing up at the end.  

4.  Look around ... we will have some other contracts coming off the books by then.. cap situation will flip back around.  

In reality ... look for an extension to be in place through 2024 or 2025 at this time next year if not sooner.  My guess... less than $30 mil per year... when looking at the cap hits starting 2020. 

Very little incentive for Wentz to sign an extension. I know it’s normal business for it to get done like you are saying. But the end of the CBA changes everything. The Players union has been focused on this for awhile. I expect the rules to change. I expect contracts will change. New TV money contract will probably inflate everything. All of this without even mentioning a possible holdout. Which I believe is more like PROBABLE holdout. The players can’t stand the Franchise Tags. They also want guaranteed money like the other sports. This will change life as we know it.

And we have some big QB contracts hitting. Ben Rothlisberger they are working on breaking the bank for. Russel Wilson is ready to redefine what we know as top salary. Goff and Wentz. Matt Ryan got five year 150 million! Aaron Rodgers got 4 year 134 million! 33.5 million per season for Rodgers. Why would Wentz contract be smaller?

Cut Peters saves 10.5 mil. Extend Agholor saves 6.8 mil. Rework Jernigan saves 6.5 mil. I believe we are a mil under the cap currently. Gives us 24.8 mil right there to spend.

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Cut Peters saves 10.5 mil. Extend Agholor saves 6.8 mil. Rework Jernigan saves 6.5 mil. I believe we are a mil under the cap currently. Gives us 24.8 mil right there to spend.

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who do you plan to replace Peters with?

If you're gonna sign a FA he's gonna cost something and probably will be inferior to Peters

Unless there's a Philly miracle and Mailata has taken huge strides, Peters stays. V is not the answer. JP has been resistant to reworking his contract, still won't find a replacement ready this yr. Even if we find someone nearly as good, still have to pay him. Is it worth the risk to Wentz? We won't have the luxury of Foles anymore either.

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

Who do you plan to replace Peters with?

If you're gonna sign a FA he's gonna cost something and probably will be inferior to Peters

We have V, Mailata, Seumalo, Pryor and a potential draft option to battle it out. I just don’t see Peters playing at all that high a level in 2019. Seems to me we kept Peters two years too long as it is. He just doesn’t look to be able to hold up anymore. I just don’t see there being a drop off by moving on. And that’s a bunch of money. Love Peters! HOFer all the way. But his time is over.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Maybe he should give up the Gillette sponsorship then(you know since the Pats play in Gillette Stadium and their saying is: the best a man can get)...

On 2/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, ASG15 said:

hehe. I caught the reference the first time

Hehe...poor Mr Kraft what a surprise hehehe.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:29 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:

Suspect we re-do his contract after the '19 season

Maybe he went to see about getting his balls deflated

Hehehe... y’all ain’t right... Ain’t nothing gonna happen to that guy...Kraft has strong Russian connections... hehehehe... didn’t Putin take One of Krafts SBChampionship rings. So very few news reports on Kraft getting caught not many gonna talk against this. Makes me wonder if he provided services for his team when in Fl.... this is just sooo Russian... Kraft is a POS💩💩... these guys are above the law... pretty soon it’ll quiet down and somehow... it will end up... Kraft was duped into his investment in a Human Trafficking ring. He also purchased the Brooklyn Bridge so it was not his fault Hahahaha it’s pathetic. 

Cops say they have 2 vids of Kraft "receiving service". Of course nothing being said on the Boston news.

Ham, do you really want to leave Wentz's protection to those guys? Get real Seu and V have proven they can't, Mailata's a mystery right now. Replacing JP w/ a FA you still have to pay and starting a rookie at LT is not a risk I'd want to take. I would love for Mailata to show he can do it, right now we just don't know as it sounds pretty unrealistic of an expectation this soon into his career.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We have V, Mailata, Seumalo, Pryor and a potential draft option to battle it out. I just don’t see Peters playing at all that high a level in 2019. Seems to me we kept Peters two years too long as it is. He just doesn’t look to be able to hold up anymore. I just don’t see there being a drop off by moving on. And that’s a bunch of money. Love Peters! HOFer all the way. But his time is over.

Of those Milata seems to be the best option if he has continued to improve at the same rate he did in the PS last year. Seumalo looks like the LG of the future and we know nothing about prior.

As far as a draft pick no thanx. How many rookie tackles are that good. Even Lane was only fair in his first year

I personally believe Seumalo at RT and move Lane to LT is the best right now. Trying to rely on Peters feels like a pipe dream to me. He has declined. I feel like his ceiling for 2019 is being an average T. He’s getting beat by the speed guys now. Getting overpowered by bullrushers. On top of that he can’t stay healthy. It is what it is. Have to deal with it and move forward. I just don’t see justification in his salary number. He can’t live up to that level of performance to remotely match his salary. 

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Very little incentive for Wentz to sign an extension. I know it’s normal business for it to get done like you are saying. But the end of the CBA changes everything. The Players union has been focused on this for awhile. I expect the rules to change. I expect contracts will change. New TV money contract will probably inflate everything. All of this without even mentioning a possible holdout. Which I believe is more like PROBABLE holdout. The players can’t stand the Franchise Tags. They also want guaranteed money like the other sports. This will change life as we know it.

And we have some big QB contracts hitting. Ben Rothlisberger they are working on breaking the bank for. Russel Wilson is ready to redefine what we know as top salary. Goff and Wentz. Matt Ryan got five year 150 million! Aaron Rodgers got 4 year 134 million! 33.5 million per season for Rodgers. Why would Wentz contract be smaller?

"Why would Wentz contract be smaller?" Because he hasn't yet accomplished what those guys have????????(you know like making it through a whole season?)

6 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Of those Milata seems to be the best option if he has continued to improve at the same rate he did in the PS last year. Seumalo looks like the LG of the future and we know nothing about prior.

As far as a draft pick no thanx. How many rookie tackles are that good. Even Lane was only fair in his first year

Really like to have Cajuste in this draft.May not start right away,but he has the tools to step in later on in the season if he progresses enough.We can "phase Peters out" if he can.Just have to wait and see what the Foles thing ends up being before we start cleaning out the barn.Think most of the decision making depends on the Foles deal and what we get out of it as to how we proceed with others(sans Jernigan who we re-do if possible)

To me the question of what to do with Peters boils down to do the birds think that they can be competitive in '19 or do they think it's gonna be a throw away year and rebuild.

If it's a throwaway year you cut Peters and draft his replacement or see if Mailata has progressed to a serviceable level

Really it all becomes a moot point when the new CBA comes into affect though.

2 hours ago, ASG15 said:

To me the question of what to do with Peters boils down to do the birds think that they can be competitive in '19 or do they think it's gonna be a throw away year and rebuild.

If it's a throwaway year you cut Peters and draft his replacement or see if Mailata has progressed to a serviceable level

Really it all becomes a moot point when the new CBA comes into affect though.

EIther way,still want Cajuste, a rather RARE LOT,that all analysts project to be a LOT at the NFL level.Most OT's end up as RT(at least for awhile).I have him as our 57 pick,but some see him going in round 1.I have no crystal ball,neither do they,but if at 57 he is there I grab him.At 54 I have Hakeem Butler and those could be flip flopped possibly.BR has us taking Josh Jacobs.I just don;t see that happening,so I am still stuck on Wilkins at DT in the first

Will watch the combine and see if anything on my mock changes,but feel with our RRBC approach,we can get a RB later,since unless there are offensive shifts,we really don't need to rely on a 3 down RB(although they are nice to have)

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

(you know like making it through a whole season?)

You know, he did play a full 16 games in his rookie year, right?

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

The Draft Network's mock draft machine is up and running. For anyone interested, here's the link

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Cool hope they get this up and running ASAP

Just now, Don Corleone said:

You know, he did play a full 16 games in his rookie year, right?

Yeah but one year would not constitute a 150 million re-do contract

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Cool hope they get this up and running ASAP

Yeah but one year would not constitute a 150 million re-do contract

It's already up and running. Clearly said that in my post.

He played well in his rookie season and only got better in his 2nd season, go look at his numbers for his 3rd season, despite coming off of 2 ligament tears and a fracture in his back, he played well.

Wentz is going to be paid, don't kid yourself, he's looking at Matt Ryan/Aaron Rodgers money. He'll be paid according to the market, regardless of what you or anyone else think he's worth.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

It's already up and running. Clearly said that in my post.

He played well in his rookie season and only got better in his 2nd season, go look at his numbers for his 3rd season, despite coming off of 2 ligament tears and a fracture in his back, he played well.

Wentz is going to be paid, don't kid yourself, he's looking at Matt Ryan/Aaron Rodgers money. He'll be paid according to the market, regardless of what you or anyone else think he's worth.

Hmm can't find a link to do one(mock) it says "soon" I have the site fav'd

Oh well wont let me register.First it says email invalid,then when I go to "get new password" it says my email addy is already in use,so stuck in limboville