DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

From Chris Long on why he's taking his time to decide whether to play this yr;

"I don't know, man. It's all about the situation to me," he said. "I never mean to make a headline where it's like, 'Chris Long unsure.' I never try to make it sound like I'm under the impression it matters either way if I play or anybody cares. But I think after you're 30, you should always take some time late in your career to think a little bit. I think anybody should take their time. Not that a second-, third-year player in the league thought about retiring, but it takes so much out of you if you're really pouring everything into it, and you've got to be in for the ride.

"It's kind of like at the amusement park, when they click that seatbelt belt on, the roller coaster going -- you can't get out. There's no quitting. Some guys might think differently, but when you're in, you're in, so I want to make sure I'm in. I think most players need to do that, and I'm just honest about it. Maybe some guys just aren't telling the truth. But it's all about the situation for me. I know I can still play. I think I played well, especially in the second half of the year this year, once I got healthy and I got more snaps, so we'll see."

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/27130/for-chris-long-the-climb-to-change-the-world-continues

21 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Very little incentive for Wentz to sign an extension. I know it’s normal business for it to get done like you are saying. But the end of the CBA changes everything. The Players union has been focused on this for awhile. I expect the rules to change. I expect contracts will change. New TV money contract will probably inflate everything. All of this without even mentioning a possible holdout. Which I believe is more like PROBABLE holdout. The players can’t stand the Franchise Tags. They also want guaranteed money like the other sports. This will change life as we know it.

And we have some big QB contracts hitting. Ben Rothlisberger they are working on breaking the bank for. Russel Wilson is ready to redefine what we know as top salary. Goff and Wentz. Matt Ryan got five year 150 million! Aaron Rodgers got 4 year 134 million! 33.5 million per season for Rodgers. Why would Wentz contract be smaller?

We shall see.     I believe a deal gets done while the Eagles have leverage.  Where Wentz makes $4 this year.  A nice signing bonus.   

Again... I'm looking at cap hits ... you guys can worry about guaranteed money, and the fluff part at the end of the deal that will get renegotiated again.   We'll look at it when it gets done.... Average cap hit will be less than $30 mil.     and no I don't see Wentz "holding out"   I think he likes it here... and with the portrayal from Joe S that Wentz is selfish ... holding out doesn't really help.  that said ... I think the average "CAP hits"  will be less than $30 mil/ year.    Certainly no where near the ridiculous $45 mil/ year #.    What you might see is the last year of the deal show a # close to that... which will know will never get exercises as the Eagles will redo the deal prior.  

But in general ... how awesome is that.   We are getting a $45 mil QB .... because "why would his contract be smaller?"   That means we have a top guy.   A guy that doesn't need to have the offense "dumbed down"   A guy who should be in control of stuff.   A guy whose teammates should follow and not **** about behind his back like a coward.    Wentz is either a franchise QB or he isn't.   If in your mind he is... then you should expect the full treatment ... where he has control and not be super protected.     

If you still want him super protected ... or the playcalls dumbed down ... or where he doesn't have control ... then you don't think he should get paid the big $$$.    Which one is it?    Can't be both.  

And then if Foles is better ... where we look to blame everything else when things go bad during the course of a game ...except for him... we expect a "bidding war"   Then how much is Foles going to get paid?   $20 mil seems like a half off discount for a guy like that if we expect deals to go $45 mil per year guaranteed?    After all ... this is a QB who clearly made the offense run better than Wentz.  

2 hours ago, senhorcook said:

So cynical joemas. It's actually funny at this point.

Foles = $46 per year ... should be the floor since he is better than Wentz ....LOL

Another mock I've been working on big changes in this one.

25. Josh Jacobs RB Alabama 

53. Jeffrey Simmons DT Mississippi St

57. Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina 

127. Shareef Miller DE Penn St

138. Christian Miller ILB Alabama 

163. Max Scharping G Northern Illinois 

198. Mike Edwards S Kentucky 

209. Jordan Brown CB South Dakota St (one more drop in the small school bucket)

Remember the team looking at him and me screaming "NO!" Guy's snakebit, another injury waiting to happen, let him do it elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Ross a WR who only averages 3.5 yards per target? Meh, no thanks.

I guess you actually have to watch him play and not just go off numbers. He was mainly used as a quick screen reciever or deep decoy (since Dalton couldn't hit him)for AJ Green. Not to mention his stellar QB Andy Dalton. He still averaged 10 yards a reception and runs a 4.22 40. His rookie year he dealt with a nagging knee injury and Marvin Lewis also benched him in week 2 after a fumble for Tyler Boyd and never hit the starting lineup again. Last year he pulled a groin against the Saints and dealt with that as well all year. He was the 9th pick in the draft for a reason. I would take the chance he gets healthy.  In the next 2 years he is due a total of 5 million And I would rather trade Agholor than cut him. He hasn't done enough for me to offer him a long term deal and I wouldn't pay him 9 million either.

21 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I guess you actually have to watch him play and not just go off numbers. He was mainly used as a quick screen reciever or deep decoy (since Dalton couldn't hit him)for AJ Green. Not to mention his stellar QB Andy Dalton. He still averaged 10 yards a reception and runs a 4.22 40. His rookie year he dealt with a nagging knee injury and Marvin Lewis also benched him in week 2 after a fumble for Tyler Boyd and never hit the starting lineup again. Last year he pulled a groin against the Saints and dealt with that as well all year. He was the 9th pick in the draft for a reason. I would take the chance he gets healthy.  In the next 2 years he is due a total of 5 million And I would rather trade Agholor than cut him. He hasn't done enough for me to offer him a long term deal and I wouldn't pay him 9 million either.

I saw him play while he was at Washington and with the Bengals. Didn't think much him then, think even less of him now. Great he ran a 4.22 at the combine. YAY, he can run fast in a straight line! LOL at you have to watch him instead of just going off of numbers, yet, here you are going off of numbers to prove your point. By your own admission, he can't even stay healthy, hell, he even pulled up gimpy at the combine after he ran the 4.22. Agholor has done a hell of a lot more than Ross.

Agholor averaged 10.1 yards per catch in his 2nd year with a catch % of 52.2%, Ross has a catch % of 36.2%. Ross also has drop issues, 7 drops.

But at least he's fast, amirite?

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I saw him play while he was at Washington and with the Bengals. Didn't think much him then, think even less of him now. Great he ran a 4.22 at the combine. YAY, he can run fast in a straight line! LOL at you have to watch him instead of just going off of numbers, yet, here you are going off of numbers to prove your point. By your own admission, he can't even stay healthy, Agholor has done a hell of a lot more than Ross.

Agholor averaged 10.1 yards per catch in his 2nd year with a catch % of 52.2%, Ross has a catch % of 36.2%. Ross also has drop issues, 7 drops.

But at least he's fast, amirite?

What does this team need a burner. So you can get a cheap burner for a guy that in my opinion you cut anyway. Even if he doesn't pan out what am I losing?

Just now, downwithdallas said:

What does this team need a burner. So you can get a cheap burner for a guy that in my opinion you cut anyway. Even if he doesn't pan out what am I losing?

5 of his 7 TD's last year came within 6 yards of the EZ. Great, he's fast, I get it, but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he can't stay healthy. You're trading for a guy who can't stay healthy, but you know, it doesn't matter, because he can run fast in a straight line. 

His longest pass play was 39 yards last year, Agholor's was 46.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

5 of his 7 TD's last year came within 6 yards of the EZ. Great, he's fast, I get it, but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he can't stay healthy. You're trading for a guy who can't stay healthy, but you know, it doesn't matter, because he can run fast in a straight line. 

His longest pass play was 39 yards last year, Agholor's was 46.

You would have given up on Thomas Davis too. You have a guy that is making backup money to be a backup but has shown enough starter potential to be drafted 9th overall. Also like I said he was used a lot on quick screens and Dalton is known as being a horrible deep passer and their great oline gives them no time. 

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

You would have given up on Thomas Davis too. You have a guy that is making backup money to be a backup but has shown enough starter potential to be drafted 9th overall. Also like I said he was used a lot on quick screens and Dalton is known as being a horrible deep passer and their great oline gives them no time. 

Pass rushers are more important than WR's who are fast and don't pan out because of injuries etc. That's an apples to oranges comparison. 

Tyler Boyd's longest TD last season was 49 yards, he posted a 76/1028/7 season. A.J Green for missing 7 games posted a 46/694/6 season, with his longest TD being 38 yards. So I'm not sure that works here.

And there's this from April 2018.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/2/17188798/andy-dalton-is-a-better-deep-ball-passer-than-you-realize

Pass rushers are more important than WR's who are fast and don't pan out because of injuries etc. That's an apples to oranges comparison. 

Tyler Boyd's longest TD last season was 49 yards, he posted a 76/1028/7 season. A.J Green for missing 7 games posted a 46/694/6 season, with his longest TD being 38 yards. So I'm not sure that works here.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/2/17188798/andy-dalton-is-a-better-deep-ball-passer-than-you-realize

Add Rodgers that makes him 8th. I'm sure they excluded some of the younger QBs that don't qualify for lack of min seasons plus all the rookies that have come into the league.

Wentz would be an upgrade at QB which should make him a better receiver. Our oline is better should have more time to get down field more often making him better. He was also 3rd-4th string on the Bengals and that's what he is getting paid like as well.

Like I said he once showed enough potential to be drafted 9th overall. Injuries have stunted his career so far. He is due 2 million this year and 2.7 next but can be cut for nothing after the trade. 

If I'm going to cut Agholor why not take a look at a guy I could cut at cut downs for nothing but if he is healthy and can play up to his potential could be a great player for a player I'm going to cut and get nothing for.

You think you are going to trade Agholor for a stud pass rusher? Let me see a realistic trade for a pass rusher.

5 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

If I'm going to cut Agholor why not take a look at a guy I could cut at cut downs for nothing but if he is healthy and can play up to his potential could be a great player for a player I'm going to cut and get nothing for.

Who said the Eagles were cutting Agholor?

4 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

You think you are going to trade Agholor for a stud pass rusher? Let me see a realistic trade for a pass rusher.

Please show me where I said that, I'll wait. Right, I never said Agholor would be traded for a stud pass rusher, try reading. You're the one that mentioned Thomas Davis and insisted I would've given up on him based off the information given on John Ross. For the record, I never gave up Brandon Graham either, hence the reason I said pass rushers are more important than an injury prone WR that can run fast.