DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

The draft I just posted are all football players.I looked at alot of elements-even off field attributes/issues (although Lawrence needs to get his act together).It gives us a future at some key positions and most I chose should transition at the NFL level in my view.I'm not emotional about the draft either,Ijust try to find players that will help at any given spot

I'm talking about afterwards.   Once the draft is over.. its over.  It doesn't project how a player will do going forward.   And 4 years later... it means absolutely squat when it comes time for the next contract.   It's nice to like a guy in college and try to project him in the NFL.  After 4 years though... let it go.  He has had time to adjust to being a pro, and adult with a job, the competition level...etc.   It's all projections coming out of school, the X factor is we all don't know how the human being will adjust.  

The kid that is the best in 6th grade, might not be the best in 9th grade, which also changes in 12th grade, and then when he graduates college.... and then when he is 25 -26 ... then how does he adjust to being an older player?     Everything is fluid.   Everything is an individual thing too.  The draft status of guys in 2015 or 2016 shouldn't matter now as we look at players.  That's my point.   

46 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

This is why I dont get emotionally involved wit hthe draft like a lot of you do.   I don't really care where guys were drafted when it comes time for the next contract.  I'm looking at what I think they will be worth going forward.    I don't care that John Ross was drafted 9th.   I don't care that Agholor was a first round pick.  I don't care about Perriman draft position.    This is 2019 and beyond ... this is the NFL, not college.  Contracts, money, trades, FA signings...etc.  That shold depend on the idea of what the player can do in the NFL this year and going forward.   And not a 40 yard dash time or how much a guy weighs either.   Can the dude play football... thats it.  

LOL   I think that Pederson and a few others in Eagles management are really into analytics Joe which can help in the draft or hurt in the draft depending on how you look at it. "Can the dude play football?"  That would also be my first question to myself. If the answer was yes, then the next question would be, Can his college game translate to the NFL game?  How do you answer that second question to the best of your ability without really knowing?  Analytics and whatever other formula that has worked for you in the past.  Since experience is simply the name we give our mistakes, any experienced talent evaluator has probably made many mistakes to get where they are now in judging talent. The good ones learn from their mistakes and don't repeat them. 

14 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Like I said, unlikely they draft a RB in the 1st round.

I'd be happy with Harris or Montgomery in 2 unless Howie is looking more at FA's like Ingrahm

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL   I think that Pederson and a few others in Eagles management are really into analytics Joe which can help in the draft or hurt in the draft depending on how you look at it. "Can the dude play football?"  That would also be my first question to myself. If the answer was yes, then the next question would be, Can his college game translate to the NFL game?  How do you answer that second question to the best of your ability without really knowing?  Analytics and whatever other formula that has worked for you in the past.  Since experience is simply the name we give our mistakes, any experienced talent evaluator has probably made many mistakes to get where they are now in judging talent. The good ones learn from their mistakes and don't repeat them. 

Sometimes I run across :stud" players,but if they don't fit what we are trying to do,I usually pass them by for a blue collar,role up your sleeves,chip on the 'ol shoulder and learn the game type

31 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'd be happy with Harris or Montgomery in 2 unless Howie is looking more at FA's like Ingrahm

Tampa Bay and the Ravens are both suppose to have interest in Ingram. I think it would be hilarious if Ingram ended up playing with the Eagles after he and Kamara were bad mouthing our team most of the year. A little humble pie anyone?

33 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

:whistle:

As far as I'm concerned there are still two questions about Agholor that need to be answered however they can't be answered unless Agholor comes back for another year. 1. Did throwing Tate into the mix during the middle of the year affect Agholor's season in a negative way? 2. Can Agholor still become what the Eagles drafted him for in the first round and that is their deep guy? Is he mature enough and confident enough now to handle the job? The skill set is there but how about everything else?

57 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL   I think that Pederson and a few others in Eagles management are really into analytics Joe which can help in the draft or hurt in the draft depending on how you look at it. "Can the dude play football?"  That would also be my first question to myself. If the answer was yes, then the next question would be, Can his college game translate to the NFL game?  How do you answer that second question to the best of your ability without really knowing?  Analytics and whatever other formula that has worked for you in the past.  Since experience is simply the name we give our mistakes, any experienced talent evaluator has probably made many mistakes to get where they are now in judging talent. The goones learn from their mistakes and don't repeat them. 

Wrang, my comment was more on the fact that John ross ran whatever time back at the combine and that he was drafted early... same with Perriman ... or Agholor.   That doesn't effect my decision on 2019 and the future.  What does, would be the play of the player so far in the NFL.  And not necessarily stats... but how I think he would fit in as a football player on my team.

To add to your analytics .... I think a key factor that a lot of you guys who obsess about the draft don't take into consideration ... the interview with the player.  The research about the person.   That gets missed by all of you who watch film on the players.  Which to me is probably more important than a guy's hand size or his time in a 40 yard dash.  

Again though.... that is for selecting someone in the draft.... not the criteria I use 4 years later in deciding how much I want to pay a guy in free agency.

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Did throwing Tate into the mix during the middle of the year affect Agholor's season in a negative way?

Pederson said in his PC today that it did. Hold up, I'll get you the link.

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

As far as I'm concerned there are still two questions about Agholor that need to be answered however they can't be answered unless Agholor comes back for another year. 1. Did throwing Tate into the mix during the middle of the year affect Agholor's season in a negative way? 2. Can Agholor still become what the Eagles drafted him for in the first round and that is their deep guy? Is he mature enough and confident enough now to handle the job? The skill set is there but how about everything else?

I like him in the slot.   The formula worked... if he comes back, get another guy on the outside.   Not the time for experimenting.... time for winning.   Get the outside WR back... add to the RB position.   Get back to the 2017 offense but with the addition of Goedert.   Don't make it too complicated.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Get the outside WR back

Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon and Riley Ridley all fit that bill, also KeeSean Johnson, that kid probably has the best hands in this draft.

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Believe Tate was brought in in the event AG slipped and went back to his old ways(aka drops,no confidence etc).Tate was starting to get a feel for the offense a bit better,but if he has to go he does.I'm sure  Tate took some looks away from AG. IDK what we do with Wallace.He COULD be an outside guy,but if he rides opine that's a wasted roster space. Still,I would let him try out again if he wants,or we can simply say "see ya"

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

I'm shocked, shocked I say!!!

Like your other post says... probably couldn't get Jax interested in a trade.   Which seemed the only logical place for him to go via TRADE.   Now as a FA, he may get a few teams interested.    Bidding wars and 2nd round draft picks etc. was a little comical... but there is an emotional investment in Foles for some fans that really led to the mist clouding people's judgement in regards to Foles value.    I give Howie credit, he played the game for as long as he could, then made the proper move in letting Foles go... instantly putting the Eagles under the cap to start the new year, and giving him time to decide about other contracts.  While also doing right by the player, which gets noticed around the league... similar to letting Maragos go early.   People seem to miss this goodwill part of the job that helps when it comes time to get other free agents and negotiate other contracts.   Very important! 

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon and Riley Ridley all fit that bill, also KeeSean Johnson, that kid probably has the best hands in this draft.

yeah like Butler alot.Last mock I had to remove him in lieu a RB,but could see us going there if we have a FA RB in mind or vice versa if there as a WR in FA we like

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I'm not looking at the draft for this outside WR.   That's me personally.   I'm looking for a vet to focus on 2019... not the future.  wouldn't mind drafting a WR... but still think we get a vet to be the starter in 2019.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Like your other post says... probably couldn't get Jax interested in a trade.   Which seemed the only logical place for him to go via TRADE.   Now as a FA, he may get a few teams interested.    Bidding wars and 2nd round draft picks etc. was a little comical... but there is an emotional investment in Foles for some fans that really led to the mist clouding people's judgement in regards to Foles value.    I give Howie credit, he played the game for as long as he could, then made the proper move in letting Foles go... instantly putting the Eagles under the cap to start the new year, and giving him time to decide about other contracts.  While also doing right by the player, which gets noticed around the league... similar to letting Maragos go early.   People seem to miss this goodwill part of the job that helps when it comes time to get other free agents and negotiate other contracts.   Very important! 

Gnats have said they are in with Eli,but may draft a QB early(Haskins???).Jags are throwing a smoke screen saying Bortles is still in the mix as a starter,but we shall see

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

To add to your analytics .... I think a key factor that a lot of you guys who obsess about the draft don't take into consideration ... the interview with the player.  The research about the person.   That gets missed by all of you who watch film on the players.  Which to me is probably more important than a guy's hand size or his time in a 40 yard dash.  

I certainly take GPA on college players into account when I can find that info. That is how I figured that Wentz would not take too long to figure out the Pro defenses. He had a 4.0 grade point average. That info is harder to find out than some might think depending on whether the player thinks his GPA is an attribute or a detriment to his draft status. My system tells me that WR Hunter Renfrow and RB Bryce Love will have good careers in the NFL. Unfortunately Love will have to sit on the bench for awhile until his ACL surgery is healed. Both these guys are keepers in my book and probably neither one will go in the first two rounds. No problem sticking my neck out on these guys. They will deliver the goods whether the Eagles draft them or someone else.

Just now, joemas6 said:

I'm not looking at the draft for this outside WR.   That's me personally.   I'm looking for a vet to focus on 2019... not the future.  wouldn't mind drafting a WR... but still think we get a vet to be the starter in 2019.

I understand that.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah in round 4 McLaurin would seem to fit our scheme(Ohio st).Like Butler most,but think we'd go RB if there is one we like there instead of Butler.Depends if we are looking at WR or RB in the market