DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Like your other post says... probably couldn't get Jax interested in a trade.   Which seemed the only logical place for him to go via TRADE.   Now as a FA, he may get a few teams interested.    Bidding wars and 2nd round draft picks etc. was a little comical... but there is an emotional investment in Foles for some fans that really led to the mist clouding people's judgement in regards to Foles value.    I give Howie credit, he played the game for as long as he could, then made the proper move in letting Foles go... instantly putting the Eagles under the cap to start the new year, and giving him time to decide about other contracts.  While also doing right by the player, which gets noticed around the league... similar to letting Maragos go early.   People seem to miss this goodwill part of the job that helps when it comes time to get other free agents and negotiate other contracts.   Very important! 

Agreed Joe,good move.Get under the cap NOW,so we have the loot to shop instead of holding out and missing a potential player

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Manziel cut by the Montreal Alouettes, maybe he could be competition for Sudfeld 

:roll:

Pity grass is legal up there lol

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I certainly take GPA on college players into account when I can find that info. That is how I figured that Wentz would not take too long to figure out the Pro defenses. He had a 4.0 grade point average. 

Well... I think the Eagles figured that out during the interview process.   Probably more important than GPA.  Many ways to tell if a person is smart ... but are they smart in the area pertaining to playing QB?   Different process.  

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah in round 4 McLaurin would seem to fit our scheme(Ohio st).Like Butler most,but think we'd go RB if there is one we like there instead of Butler.Depends if we are looking at WR or RB in the market

Also,maybe Hollins is ready to roll IDK

7 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I certainly take GPA on college players into account when I can find that info. That is how I figured that Wentz would not take too long to figure out the Pro defenses. He had a 4.0 grade point average.

I don't know how many of you guys have seen this, or if any of you have, but it sheds a little light on Wentz

18 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Manziel cut by the Montreal Alouettes, maybe he could be competition for Sudfeld 

DC, tell me you're joking!

14 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I don't know how many of you guys have seen this, or if any of you have, but it sheds a little light on Wentz

Good stuff ... all these videos that came out prior and after the draft led me to believe this is why the coaching staff was loving Wentz.  The QB heavy coaching staff.   And why I don't want the offense dumbed down... why I want him controlling plays as much as possible.   It's why you pay him the big money.  Its why he is a franchise guy.     it's nice that he is a good athlete, but I like the football brain.  We've had "athletes" at QB for years... is nice to have a guy like Wentz finally.     

8 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Man DC, the part about Agholor was right at the very end. LOL

:lol: Sorry, I should've mentioned that

48 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Another thought,could we re-sign JMatt?

The Eagles currently have a lot of interchangeable parts on the team between the WR and TE positions. I don't think it is entirely out of the question that JMatt could come back depending on how Pederson wants to change the offense going forward. You have to keep on reinventing yourself on offensive or other teams catch up. There will be new plays next year and some plays will be jettisoned. I personally believe that Dallas Goedert has the potential to be something special going forward. In his first year he was already as good at blocking as Ertz is in his 6th year. It also appears that Geodert is going to be better than Ertz at YAC which seems important to the Eagles or they wouldn't have brought in Tate mid stream of last season. Now, does Geodert have the same hands as Ertz? It remains to be seen but I have a gut feeling he does. Can Geodert get open as good as Ertz? Once again it remains to be seen but these two guys have to be on the field together going forward more often and they will be unstoppable with their height and weight. Not very many teams out there that have the TE talent the Eagles have. They have to take advantage of it. I believe JMatt comes down to money and the Jags and the Bears are rumored to be interested in his services already.

I agree with Goedert.   I think a similar type of offensive skill players as in 2017 withthe addition of Goedert would be sweet.  Get that outside WR ... keep Agholor in the slot, get the reliable RB to go in the committee and we are looking good.   If we can build off the run, the weapons we have in the pass game would make the offense move back towards the top. 

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Bite your tongue!!!

Anyone looked at Devin Singletary, the RB from FAU?

Bowling ball build with lightning quick cuts.

Played in conference USA so may not go in the first 2 rounds. Might be worth a look in mid rounds

Yes the interview is a crucial part of the draft process. The medical check is also a crucial part. Us fans aren’t given this knowledge. So I have no problem with us evaluating all this picks. Preferably from watching games more than highlight tapes. And if it comes out a guy has a medical red flag after the draft...that just comes with territory. Can’t blame any of us on that missed part of the evaluation. But how far do you go with the evaluation of the interview? Plenty of super talented thugs. Not many Ivy League LBs working in the league. Do you just never draft a Michael Irvin or Antonio Brown type? And GPA is all relative. What classes was the stud athlete for his school taking? We’ve found out guys from the Duke basketball program couldn’t spell. That’s a quality school and obviously the player wasn’t failing....so just not sure how effective the GPA situation is for these athletes.

No Mas I’m wondering what you think Agholor’s worth is? If we just paid the fifth year option that would make Agholor the 24th ranked paid receiver. And obviously the contracts only go up so it will be a lower ranking once the season actually starts. You know once Thielen and such sign new contracts. Effectively making him around the 32nd paid WR(by my guesstimate). 

So I think we sign him to an extension but I don’t think the average salary will be much less. You seem to be thinking it won’t be remotely close to 9 mil a season. WR is an expensive position. One of the main problems with Agholor is his market value is probably higher than his value to us. He creates the most separation of any receiver on our team according to advanced statistics. Yet his production doesn’t reflect that. And we have very little leverage to negotiate with him. 

8 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Like I said, unlikely they draft a RB in the 1st round.

I sort of have agreed with not drafting a RB high. But to absolutely counter this I believe the Pats stole our RB last year in the draft. We take Sony if he is there. He wasn’t so we traded back. To add to this I think you need to spread the draft love around some. It helps to take different positions early. Try to get elite guys throughout the lineup. Maybe an early S,RB or LB this year. Upgrade that position room potentially for years.

Wrangler the YAC last year was pathetic. The downfield balls also weren’t being delivered. Rumors were flying that we wanted to trade for two different burner WR. How much was Wentz injury a factor in us bringing in Tate though? I’m thinking it was a major reason. They realized going deep wasn’t going to work so getting that RB/WR YAC made sense for the situation.

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas I’m wondering what you think Agholor’s worth is? If we just paid the fifth year option that would make Agholor the 24th ranked paid receiver. And obviously the contracts only go up so it will be a lower ranking once the season actually starts. You know once Thielen and such sign new contracts. Effectively making him around the 32nd paid WR(by my guesstimate). 

So I think we sign him to an extension but I don’t think the average salary will be much less. You seem to be thinking it won’t be remotely close to 9 mil a season. WR is an expensive position. One of the main problems with Agholor is his market value is probably higher than his value to us. He creates the most separation of any receiver on our team according to advanced statistics. Yet his production doesn’t reflect that. And we have very little leverage to negotiate with him. 

Yeah... I don't think he's get 5 years at $46.5 mil ... which would be just a little shy of the $9.387 mil fifth year option.   Do you think he is the 32nd best WR in the league?   If so... then you keep saying how JMatt is better... I certainly don't think either are top 32.   I think Agholor is an excellent slot guy when their are 2 legit options on the outside like there was in 2017.   I think as far as WRs goes that would put him as our #2.   As far as options in the pass game... # 3 behind Alshon and Ertz.    I think he could get something 4 years $30 mil ... where the signing bonus cuts the cap hit, and probably with the fluff in year 4 where he won't get that $$.    So you see that contract and think $7.5 per year ... I don't, I'm looking at the cap hits the first 3 years and averaging it out.  Don't think it will come out to $22.5 mil. which would be that $7.5 per year.   We'll see.  

As for leverage... why don't we have any?   I would think he likes it here?   

BTW... "he creates more separation" than any other WR here.... uhhh yeah.  Alshon doesn't, but doesn't need to does he?   Ertz runs nice routes, and makes catches in traffic.  Then who else did we have in 2018?   It should be Agholor, shouldn't it.  Would be a lot of nice WRs in the NFL if they cam to our team considering the first two stud options aren't about creating all that space because they don't need it, and the rest of the WRs are pretty much ..well not much!    That's where you and I agree to get that outside #2 guy.  

Now Rosie needs to step back from his personal agenda when it comes to personnel. Obviously part of his job rating is based on his draft picks performance. So it’s in his own self interest to let a player like Jones get the most opportunity possible to succeed. But what we need is competition across the board to field the best team we can. Winning the SB and advancing through the playoffs is another way his job is evaluated. 

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Winning the SB and advancing through the playoffs is another way his job is evaluated. 

Yeah ... seems pretty good on this part the last 2 years though?

See I was thinking the 7.5 mil per year range about right. But I think the contract bigger with more fluff at the end like you said. And it benefits us to have incentives in the contract. So I’m thinking 4 years 34 million. I’m also thinking a bloated final year that he doesn’t see.