DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham... forget back then.  i'm talking now.   Going forward.   Complimenting the current roster of big WRs, without a shifty one in the middle.  Agholor offers more of a different skill set that the TEs do as compared to Jmatt when it comes to slot.   I don;t care about injuries , stats, draft position, Chip Kelly, or anything else from the past.   Just what my eyes tell me... If Goedert and Ertz are in the game. Agholor offers a better compliment IMO.  

If we go with a two TE set? Agholor works better? No! He’s a slot WR. So two TE set he sits on the bench.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Well with the point of just being about QB  concerning Agholor. Like I said two of his three best games came with Foles this year. And yes I think Agholor thinks he’s much better than his stats have produced. So that leads to the QB some. Basically that it isn’t good for Agholor that he loves Ertz so much. That he prefers Alshon. Seems obvious.

OK.. .then he leaves...bye bye.   Still not getting the big contract.   Your 4 for 34 mil is fine for me... and we cut him after 3 years.   If thats no good... go ahead.  Find a better QB for yourself... all about 2018, forget about your best season in 2017 I guess.  But find a team with a legit #1 WR on the outside... a really good TE ... and willing to pay you a good amount.   And with a QB that you think is better than Wentz... the $45 million man himself.   

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

If we go with a two TE set? Agholor works better? No! He’s a slot WR. So two TE set he sits on the bench.

Right ... so when we go with 1 TE.... and a slot WR.  Which guy offers more of a different look to the defense.  I mean, you could legt play the same guys on defense when subbing JMatt for Goedert, but you aren't covering Agholor with the same guy are you?   

But either way... thats why we both feel the #2 guy is the key.   i'm good with a 2 TE set for the most part, with say Alshon and DeSean on the outside.   We could draft a late round shifty WR type.  Or go with Tate if we let Agholor go.   We'll see.  That's the beauty of the offseason... and this one is going to be a fun one.  

9 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right ... so when we go with 1 TE.... and a slot WR.  Which guy offers more of a different look to the defense.  I mean, you could legt play the same guys on defense when subbing JMatt for Goedert, but you aren't covering Agholor with the same guy are you?   

Nah big difference in speed. LBs Cover Goedert and TEs plenty. Goedert is a good matchup vs a LB still. But JMatt runs a 4.45 forty. Matchups are key. And it is problematic for any secondary or defense I’ve known to deal with several tall receiving options. You might have one tall corner. He can cover Alshon but he can’t be on Alshon and JMatt. And frankly you need a corner on Ertz. Not many teams I’ve seen running a bunch of tall DBs. JMatt is an excellent route runner. That isn’t to be underestimated. And all that shiftiness from Agholor really didn’t equate to any YAC last season.

12 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

But either way... thats why we both feel the #2 guy is the key.   i'm good with a 2 TE set for the most part, with say Alshon and DeSean on the outside.   We could draft a late round shifty WR type.  Or go with Tate if we let Agholor go.   We'll see.  That's the beauty of the offseason... and this one is going to be a fun one.  

I think Wallace is good for that. The guy has a proven track record in the league. Much cheaper than Agholor also. But I’d really like to bring in the stud guy out there. Basically given a choice I’d rather pay the outside guy than Agholor that money. We could have JMatt and even Perkins running the slot. But we could go with those two TE set and be lethal also. I’m hopeful for Hollins as well but just not sure how deep my trust in him is right now. It hurt that we had his WR coach here last season and he was injured. Now his old coach got the boot.

But now things have comefull circle. Agholor has some trade value potentially. And  JMatt could be signed affordably.  Win/win really. Same as we did before but reversed.

23 hours ago, joemas6 said:

This is why I dont get emotionally involved wit hthe draft like a lot of you do.   I don't really care where guys were drafted when it comes time for the next contract.  I'm looking at what I think they will be worth going forward.    I don't care that John Ross was drafted 9th.   I don't care that Agholor was a first round pick.  I don't care about Perriman draft position.    This is 2019 and beyond ... this is the NFL, not college.  Contracts, money, trades, FA signings...etc.  That shold depend on the idea of what the player can do in the NFL this year and going forward.   And not a 40 yard dash time or how much a guy weighs either.   Can the dude play football... thats it.  

Marcus Smith, Canadian Fireman I forget his name. These are reasons we care about draft position. When you stretch and take a player well before they should be drafted and they don't pan out but you could have had players A B and C that should have been drafted in that range and turned into great players. You have a better chance of hitting on a player if you draft them in or around their estimated draft position. Granted it's not science and is not a sure thing and you can hit on a UDFA or anywhere in the draft but if you play the odds you are more successful to follow the draft order.

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

FL and DC what is it you love about WR Hakeem Butler from Iowa? Obviously his enormous size at the position. But he has to use that to catch the ball. And that is where I don’t see him being that high of a talent. You seem to be looking for him late round one or maybe falling to the second round. But the guy drops a lot of balls. As a DB I could live with that more. But it’s the fundamental job description as a WR.

He's a big body WR that can be used all over the field, is a really good route runner with an insane catch radius and big yac ability. Also for a guy his size, he has pretty good speed to go with that.

His combine measurement

6'5 3/8

227 pounds

10 and 6/8 inch hands

35 and 2/8 inch arm length 

83 and 7/8 inch wingspan

8 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Canadian Fireman I forget his name.

Danny Watkins

46 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Marcus Smith, Canadian Fireman I forget his name. These are reasons we care about draft position. When you stretch and take a player well before they should be drafted and they don't pan out but you could have had players A B and C that should have been drafted in that range and turned into great players. You have a better chance of hitting on a player if you draft them in or around their estimated draft position. Granted it's not science and is not a sure thing and you can hit on a UDFA or anywhere in the draft but if you play the odds you are more successful to follow the draft order.

Yes... my comment was more on 4 years after the draft.   We shouldn't care where a guy was drafted years ago when looking at him as a current FA.   The NFL careeer should be what we look at.    Busts happen all over the board.  When looking at a guy now who hasn't done much ... his 2014 draft position doesn't really matter much to me.  One team liked him that high, they made a mistake.  Or he didn't pan out.  The mistake was made years ago... leave it there.   What we should be looking at, does he fit specifically for what we want, and can we get him at a good price to do that job.  Means more than where he was drafted by another team. 

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But now things have comefull circle. Agholor has some trade value potentially. And  JMatt could be signed affordably.  Win/win really. Same as we did before but reversed.

Lets see what happens.   I agree with the outside WR.   I'm thinking we can get that guy fairly cheap.  We'll see.  Not sure about trade value... remember the "bidding wars" for Foles, could be similar trade value with Agholor.  So we should temper our expectations.  We do agree that JMatt would or should come cheap.  My reasoning is that he is nothing special, you get what you pay for.  you seem to just think its a timing thing... he is better than what he showed ans site his stats ... of which I think he got stats because he got too many targets prior to Alshon getting here. My gut is telling me Howie is going to make a splash move at WR.   The outside guy makes sense, especially if you want to go 2 TEs a lot.   which I think would be awesome for the run game.       

NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks released his second mock draft Wednesday and predicted the Eagles to select Clemson defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence with the 25th overall pick.                  Yep, that who I have also lol

Cowboys paying Witten $5 million this year to come out of retirement :roll:

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks released his second mock draft Wednesday and predicted the Eagles to select Clemson defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence with the 25th overall pick.                  Yep, that who I have also lol

That's a bad pick

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

FL and DC what is it you love about WR Hakeem Butler from Iowa? Obviously his enormous size at the position. But he has to use that to catch the ball. And that is where I don’t see him being that high of a talent. You seem to be looking for him late round one or maybe falling to the second round. But the guy drops a lot of balls. As a DB I could live with that more. But it’s the fundamental job description as a WR.

So if he uses his size to catch the ball thats a bad thing? Besides keeping up with him,you also have to contend with that size,not many DB's can handle both things.As far as drops,yeah we had the same thing with AG if you recall

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Cowboys paying Witten $5 million this year to come out of retirement :roll:

That's a bad pick

Want Wilkins,but he should be gone by 25.Dexter is not terrible just gotta get his act together

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Want Wilkins,but he should be gone by 25.Dexter is not terrible just gotta get his act together

It's a bad pick because he's more of a run stuffer, than he is a pass rusher, then you have the HGH suspension on top of it.

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not sure why you would state’ as QB goes.’ But actually two of his three best games were with Foles last season.

Foles ain't gonna be here,we gotta get guys in here compatible for WENTZ

It's a bad pick because he's more of a run stuffer, than he is a pass rusher, then you have the HGH suspension on top of it.

Thats what I said he needs to get his act together.With bark and Zeke in our division,I would be fine with a run stuffer

38 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Lets see what happens.   I agree with the outside WR.   I'm thinking we can get that guy fairly cheap.  We'll see.  Not sure about trade value... remember the "bidding wars" for Foles, could be similar trade value with Agholor.  So we should temper our expectations.  We do agree that JMatt would or should come cheap.  My reasoning is that he is nothing special, you get what you pay for.  you seem to just think its a timing thing... he is better than what he showed ans site his stats ... of which I think he got stats because he got too many targets prior to Alshon getting here. My gut is telling me Howie is going to make a splash move at WR.   The outside guy makes sense, especially if you want to go 2 TEs a lot.   which I think would be awesome for the run game.       

Hey Joe,I was against this at first,but DJax would make some sense

14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Hmm Alshon,Djax,Hollins(he should be ready to go)

8 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

If Wilkins is gone,is there,in your opinion a better DL man than Dexter? I forgot his name but there was another I had as a possible(Missouri maybe?)

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thats what I said he needs to get his act together.With bark and Zeke in our division,I would be fine with a run stuffer

Taking him at 25 is too high.

Taking him at 25 is too high.

Depends what you are looking for

I looked at Gary,but wasn't all that impressed

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Depends what you are looking for

I looked at Gary,but wasn't all that impressed

You're looking for pass rushers, that's not Lawrence.