DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

14 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Josh Jacobs from Alabama is a Brian Westbrook type of guy. Good at pass catching and running the ball plus he had a 30.6 kickoff return average which was the second best single season record in Alabama history. Never the less, I have always been hesitant on taking Alabama players. Its just my hangup I guess but all things being equal, I chose the player from another school.

IDK Wrang,there are teams ahead of us that could use a RB as well as us.GB for one 

13 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

That is amazing when you think about it. Not so much the money but the lack of an opt out if true. In other words Harper wants to spend the rest of his baseball career with the Phillies without even knowing if he will like it there or get along with his team mates. Oh well!

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK Wrang,there are teams ahead of us that could use a RB as well as us.GB for one 

I'm not taking a RB with the first three picks if I am in charge. Well lets see first if the Eagles end up with a third round pick before all is said and done. I would consider one there. My first three picks are Defensive line and Offensive line. That is the strong suit of the draft so why force other positions before round 3 or 4 that aren't strong this year? We can get two good defensive linemen in the second round this year that would be first rounders in another draft year. Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth is my philosophy. I'm looking at LB, RB, S, and Outside receiver in free agency. Of course I don't expect to sign all of these positions but a couple. Then you can look at the positions you didn't sign in free agency in rounds 4 through 7.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

DC, this is great.   The idiots on the radio were panicking so bad the last few days.   "Give him $350 mil over ten, let him have the opt out after 3 years" ...  How about SHUT UP and do your show and let the big boy business people do their work.    $25.4 mil per year is normal great player money, $35 mil per year is just STUPID.     And no opt out is huge.... good for the Phillies for holding their ground.    This was a statement that a guy wants to play the rest of his career here.  No wishy washy opt out.    Other free agents will look at this now.

And contrats to Witten.... I love it.  Follow your dreams, play until they carry you off the field.     Can Tony Dorsett come bac kto Dallas  too?   That would be great!    

56 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I'm not taking a RB with the first three picks if I am in charge. Well lets see first if the Eagles end up with a third round pick before all is said and done. I would consider one there. My first three picks are Defensive line and Offensive line. That is the strong suit of the draft so why force other positions before round 3 or 4 that aren't strong this year? We can get two good defensive linemen in the second round this year that would be first rounders in another draft year. Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth is my philosophy. I'm looking at LB, RB, S, and Outside receiver in free agency. Of course I don't expect to sign all of these positions but a couple. Then you can look at the positions you didn't sign in free agency in rounds 4 through 7.

Yeah thats similar to my mock DL,OL,but then I have RB at the second 2 pick 1) Lawrence 2) Cajuste 3) Harris or Montgomery

Witten out of retirement?  Interesting.

JMatt? I'm sorry, but if he is on the 53 and sees the field, that means this WR group is below average.  JMatt is a good guy it seems; not a tremendous WR for the NFL. 

For some reason it feels like the Eagles have a number of holes to fill all of the sudden.  LT - will Peters take a pay cut to stay? I hope so, but he's got a year left maybe.  Sproles - I really hope he comes back and can stay healthy for one more season.  MLB? LB in general other than Bradham.  DLine? CBs? Safety?  It just seems like there are holes and ironically the Eagles have the worst cap number of all 32 teams with a QB on his rookie contract still. What does that tell you? They are not managing the cap very well.  I suppose it is ok to be "all in" paying your guys every year, but only if you remain at the top or near the top of competition and are competing for championships every year.

Draft? Who knows.  Every team at this time of year is telling lies.

Like your 1st 2 there GB. Just playing w/ the mock apps, learning about players as there really isn't much to learn in the underwear olympics except who gets injured. Want to see where we stand w/ FA. There is a pass rusher - Simmons? - out w/ an acl who may be a really good late pick, someone won't let him go udfa.

35 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Witten out of retirement?  Interesting.

JMatt? I'm sorry, but if he is on the 53 and sees the field, that means this WR group is below average.  JMatt is a good guy it seems; not a tremendous WR for the NFL. 

For some reason it feels like the Eagles have a number of holes to fill all of the sudden.  LT - will Peters take a pay cut to stay? I hope so, but he's got a year left maybe.  Sproles - I really hope he comes back and can stay healthy for one more season.  MLB? LB in general other than Bradham.  DLine? CBs? Safety?  It just seems like there are holes and ironically the Eagles have the worst cap number of all 32 teams with a QB on his rookie contract still. What does that tell you? They are not managing the cap very well.  I suppose it is ok to be "all in" paying your guys every year, but only if you remain at the top or near the top of competition and are competing for championships every year.

Draft? Who knows.  Every team at this time of year is telling lies.

We won a SB!!!! Then we made(despite the odds) the post season the following year.So you'd rather manage the cap and remain a .500 club???

48 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like your 1st 2 there GB. Just playing w/ the mock apps, learning about players as there really isn't much to learn in the underwear olympics except who gets injured. Want to see where we stand w/ FA. There is a pass rusher - Simmons? - out w/ an acl who may be a really good late pick, someone won't let him go udfa.

58,yeah just taking wild guesses. usually they draft guys I never heard of lol

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Love this kid DC but he could go before pick 25. Especially if his stock keeps rising.

Ah hah! FB/HB listing just didn't see no name. BGN used to keep a nice list, doesn't have one up yet. Back in the day this site used to keep one as well, just can't depend on these it peeps.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Ah hah! FB/HB listing just didn't see no name. BGN used to keep a nice list, doesn't have one up yet. Back in the day this site used to keep one as well, just can't depend on these it peeps.

If you guys are interested in following the East/West, Senior Bowl/ Combine, and private visits, give this a look, it'll be updated daily

https://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/754346-2019-nfl-draft-players-the-eagles-are-interested-in-updated-2282019/

@BigEd76 Does a great job with these every year.

Thanks DC. Know it's early, just like to try and puzzle pieces together. Lots of RB's, just don't see one in the 1st 2 picks, esp if we pick up a FA.

18 hours ago, senhorcook said:

What does that tell you? They are not managing the cap very well.  I suppose it is ok to be "all in" paying your guys every year, but only if you remain at the top or near the top of competition and are competing for championships every year.

Like they kinda did by winning the SB and almost making the NFC title game this year?     Remember the days of winning the superbowl of salary cap... we were great at that.   Remember a decade without a playoff win?    Which do you prefer?    I'll take the wins instead of the cap space.   The cap space is supposed to help you win... so winning is really the goal no matter how it gets done.   The cap opens up in 2020 and beyond, even with paying Wentz.  I trust Howie to get his guys if he wants them bad enough.   My main concern is the drafting ... thats what fuels the core of your team and sustains over time.

Glad Graham's back, good value contract, although we'll have to free up some cap. Foles yesterday, Graham today - the pieces are falling into place. Need Long to stay and get some youth in the draft.

Funny ... No real excitement over Brandon Graham signing?    Bryce Harper is the obsession locally, but not even all you out of town fans are commenting on this?????  

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

You don't see someone stay with one team for their entire career very often.

I, for one, like it