DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Wilkins, Burns, Cody Ford....not sure who it will be yet but the upper echelon depth this year is stronger than usual. I was set on Hollywood Brown but the foot surgery dropped him back. Also made the need to trade for DJax(speed WR) more.

Long shot Wilkins will fall that far,why I suggested Lawrence,he's a better run stuffer than Wilkins,although overall Wilkins is a tad better

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Dexter Lawrence-run stuffer

I would be fine with Lawrence but I would want him because we believe he can be an elite Dt all the way around not just an elite run stuffer....Why I like Wilkins more think he is just the better all around player think he can be good against the run and the pass 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

I would be fine with Lawrence but I would want him because we believe he can be an elite Dt all the way around not just an elite run stuffer....Why I like Wilkins more think he is just the better all around player think he can be good against the run and the pass 

Yeah,but thats why he's a longshot to be there at 25,if he is by all means take him

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,but thats why he's a longshot to be there at 25,if he is by all means take him

I'm looking at him going to Atlanta(14)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'm looking at him going to Atlanta(14)

Nobody knows how the draft will play out  see plenty of so called experts having Wilkins in our range if he is gone then next guy....maybe that is Lawrence maybe it is someone else maybe it isn’t even a player on the DL 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Nobody knows how the draft will play out  see plenty of so called experts having Wilkins in our range if he is gone then next guy....maybe that is Lawrence maybe it is someone else maybe it isn’t even a player on the DL 

Nope noone knows,just "concensus" opinion

We are 25. I’m figuring at least 3 QBs go in front of us. Decent chance 4. That puts us at 21 on our Big Board right there. I’m thinking the top TE goes ahead of us. That puts us at 20. That’s without debating liking this guy or that guy better.

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Nope noone knows,just "concensus" opinion

Is it???? Because 90% of mocks I see always have Wilkins falling Either to us at 25 or going after 25 rarely do I see him going in the top 15 

We are 25. I’m figuring at least 3 QBs go in front of us. Decent chance 4. That puts us at 21 on our Big Board right there. I’m thinking the top TE goes ahead of us. That puts us at 20. That’s without debating liking this guy or that guy better.

Then you have the elite pass rushers Bosa, Allen....Couple OL will be taken without a doubt....DK Seem like a shoo in to be taken 

A couple stud Dline that don’t fit our scheme as well as others. That gets us up to 18. And somebody usually reaches for something. That’s why I’m thinking we are around 15 on the Big Board. Got to take the top guy then. Likely a lineman O or D. CB Greedy in there. CB Baker and Murphy in consideration. WR DK. LB White will be top ten I expect. Is RB Jacobs?

My guess would be this our FO has about 8-12 guys we really like at 25(could be more or less by a few but you get  the idea) If one of the 8-12 are guys is there at 25 we pull the trigger(no I have no clue how we are rating the 8-12 guys none of us do but we will take the guy we have highest on that list)

If all the guys we like are gone at 25 I see us looking to trade back 

Also looking at our track record hard tonimage is going RB earlier....

Last time the Eagles franchise drafted a RB round 1 was 86

Last time we drafted a RB in the top 3 rounds in the draft was 09 shady.....

Believe the highest we have taken a RB since Howie got back in power has been Pump in the 4th round

And even going in and looking at Joe Douglas history he doesn’t tend to value drafting RBs high either tending to opt for later round picks....

Would I be shocked to see us go RB high like round 2 no but I also see it as unlikely looking at our track record 

I believe we traded back last year because the Pats took Sony. He would have been a good choice for us. Might just be time to break some of these old traditions. Get us a RB, S or LB in the first two rounds. Not our normal draft MO but could set us at the positions for years.

I believe we traded back last year because the Pats took Sony. He would have been a good choice for us. Might just be time to break some of these old traditions. Get us a RB, S or LB in the first two rounds. Not our normal draft MO but could set us at the positions for years.

We can say that all we want but our team doesn’t value RB LB like that would not shock me to see a S high but feel like we value that position more highly 

First round LB White only worthy. Won’t be around at 25. No S worth 25. RB Jacobs is the only consideration at 25 of those positions. Round two it really becomes a thought. All three positions have several options depending on your taste.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

First round LB White only worthy. Won’t be around at 25. No S worth 25. RB Jacobs is the only consideration at 25 of those positions. Round two it really becomes a thought. All three positions have several options depending on your taste.

I don’t even like Jacobs as a round 1 guy 

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Too much explanation below... but figured to get it out.   Big picture.... barring anything weird.... we should get a 3rd for Foles and a 4th for all 3 of Darby, Hicks and Tate .      For this not to happen, we would have to sign a guy who would make top 10% at his position .... or one of the four guys I just mentioned gets hurt, cut and doesn't play enough snaps.     Although, i'm still not sure if injury counts the same as if a guy just gets cut or benched? 

So with the comp picks... so far 4 free agents have left ...and 1 signed.   = 3 comp picks

Since the one we signed ( Fort)  is a 7th round value ... he will cancel out our lowest comp pick in the formula = JMatt.

Also.. and FA that got cut ... they don't count toward the comp pick formula at all .. meaning the LB from Wash.. he can make $30 mil APY and doesn't matter... Foles still remains as the top comp pick.   So initially he won't effect Hicks as far as moving down a round due to another player taking his spot (so to speak)   but it could drop Hicks down the list of all LBs as far as APY goes  ... which they count this when they make it official after the 2019 season, when they look at those APYs for all LBs that finish the season on a roster.  So if Hicks falls below being in the top 10% of LB APY (see towards the bottom of the link with the chart according to the percentage of APY at the position) ... then he will drop to round 5 in the comp pick formula ... so technically yeah  if the LB from Wash signs a bigger deal than Hicks as of APY ... then Hicks will drop a notch in that equation... but figure the # of LBs across the nfl .... say 6 per team would be 192 ...then I doubt Hicks would fall out of top 10%, but not impossible.  

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ham, I think your theory is very possible here... because with the first pick we took last year... we traded up to select a TE.   Regardless that it was round 2, it was still our first pick.  TE, S, RB, LB (I count Marcus Smith as a pass rusher not true LB)   ... we don't take those positions first.   So every reason to believe that pick at #32 could have been Sony.  

Speaking of the Pats taking possibly taking our guy .... I think we climbed up 3 slots to jump ahead of BOTH Dallas and NE to take Goedert.   One can argue that either one of those teams weren't going to take Goedert... but I think one of them almost certainly would have.  

This would be influence of Joe Douglas ... Howie and Lurie history always go back to drafting QB, OL, DL, WR or CB with round one.    It's been long enough to see it's not coincidence.  

I'm curious to see how much Jmatt gets... I bet atleast $5 mil per... maybe closer to 7 mil but probably not a long deal?    The higher the better.  

All this is leading meto believe Agholor is definitely a one year thing where he makes decent money and gets us a possible 4th comp pick in 2021.  WE probably look to draft WR late... a slot type that can play ST, probably return for us.  

BTW... money on the line at the end of a game ... DeSean is going back there to return .. if it was my choice.   

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not a great class for RB's

57 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I don’t even like Jacobs as a round 1 guy 

Maybe Afer us in 1,I would not take him at 25

I could see us pass on Jacobs and letting the Colts have him. We may even be able to let the Colts THINK we take him, and do a swap out(25 for 26) for another late pick.So if you see us NOT running right to the podium,my guess is Howie is pressuring the Colts into a trade.Gonna be an interesting opening night

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I could see us pass on Jacobs and letting the Colts have him. We may even be able to let the Colts THINK we take him, and do a swap out(25 for 26) for another late pick.So if you see us NOT running right to the podium,my guess is Howie is pressuring the Colts into a trade.Gonna be an interesting opening night

We won't run to the podium.... not what the Eagles do.  Always milk the clock incase an offer you can't refuse.

20 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Again I did see any espn, nfl.com and pft only said teams contacting them same with multiple guys I follow on Twitter both Duke and Howard I heard the Eagles ASKED about but I've not seen any about them being shopped. I could be wrong they might have been but I also seen Raiders had contacted the Packers about Rodgers but let's face it the Packers weren't shopping Rodgers. 

In case you did not see it....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-bears-are-shopping-jordan-howard-and-multiple-teams-reportedly-talked-trade-at-the-nfl-combine/

Someone that I wouldn't mind getting and is not really talked about is CJ Anderson. He is still available and appears to have allot left in the tank. If he can be had on a 1 year deal for the cheap I say sing the dude. If nothing else, it makes the draft board wide open for the Eagles. They would not have to "Reach" for anyone. They could even trade back to grab more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Volume is always a good thing at the draft in the first 3 rounds....

15 minutes ago, stine said:

Someone that I wouldn't mind getting and is not really talked about is CJ Anderson. He is still available and appears to have allot left in the tank. If he can be had on a 1 year deal for the cheap I say sing the dude. If nothing else, it makes the draft board wide open for the Eagles. They would not have to "Reach" for anyone. They could even trade back to grab more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Volume is always a good thing at the draft in the first 3 rounds....

CJ-love it,Howard-love it,Either of those AND Duke johnson-OH YEAH!!