DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Howie waiting for prices to fall,not a terrible idea.We should get a vet RB someplace here in the next week,maybe 2 depending.(a dozer and Duke Johnson??)

Several teams looking at Duke, raising his price and Howie looks for value. I'd be happy w/ Blount back, shouldn't cost much, grab a mid rd rook

33 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Several teams looking at Duke, raising his price and Howie looks for value. I'd be happy w/ Blount back, shouldn't cost much, grab a mid rd rook

Yeah,would be nice if Clement stayed on the field lol

33 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

My new mock has us taking Higdon in 4,so I could see that scenario you mentioned

47 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sounds like we are looking towards the Niners RBs. McKinnon in particular. And clearly vetting all the RBs in this draft class.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Sounds like we are looking towards the Niners RBs. McKinnon in particular. And clearly vetting all the RBs in this draft class.

IDK McKinnon seems like Clement,so I hope we get a banger RB and not him.His stats aren't all that hot IMO

9 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

LOL, he wasn't looking for value when he signed Darby for 8 mil.  Another thing I can't quite figure out. Joe Douglas came from a team that puts a much higher value on their linebackers than the Eagles do. I figured the Eagles philosophy in that area would change after Douglas arrived but it hasn't. Hard to believe that Douglas could be satisfied with the patch work quilt we have at that position now. 

Looks like there hasn't been much interest thus far in Jernigan. Wondering if he could be brought back to the Eagles on a much cheaper contract. From what I read the defense likes the juice he brings to the team.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL, he wasn't looking for value when he signed Darby for 8 mil.  Another thing I can't quite figure out. Joe Douglas came from a team that puts a much higher value on their linebackers than the Eagles do. I figured the Eagles philosophy in that area would change after Douglas arrived but it hasn't. Hard to believe that Douglas could be satisfied with the patch work quilt we have at that position now. 

Maybe Douglas gets a new toy in the draft?

Hmm Eric Berry?

45 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I seen a draft that Devin Bush fell to us that would be a dream to me.

Seen lots of mocks where everyone falls to us lol

46 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

He got beat up vs OSU lol

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

IDK judging by who we have had contact with LB doesn't seem to stand out to me.     

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Hmm Eric Berry?

Seen lots of mocks where everyone falls to us lol

But remember NOONE will be there when we pick-NOONE!!! lol

22 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

No clue what the league avg. is Reuben Frank was saying the league avg. tds per game is 3 honestly can’t say it would be that hard to image that being true 

I know... 3 TDs per game ... total.  But he was trying to make the 1.4 passing TDs the Eagles give up look better than it was, by comparing it to the TOTAL TDs given up from the league.  Need to compare passing TDs allowed from the Eagles to passing TDs allowed from the rest of the league for it to have proper context.   

Thinking on the RB front expecting to see us draft a guy around the 4th or 5th round(yes I know it’s late but been out trend so until they break this just seems realistic)....And expect to see a vet FA added after the draft similar to us picking Blount up late 

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Possibly,but they need SO much more than the Jags. FItz OK for a "fill in" but really starting NOW,they need to re-build.It's been a long time.New staff(see Browns) may turn that around like they did it in Cleveland.I'm sure Fitz was alot cheaper and they need every draft pick if they are going to start the re-build

Right... that's why I was saying the Jags were the ONLY team that checked all the boxes to possibly trade for Foles.   Miami is too far away, they needed a chreap bridge QB.   Foles was 4 year 88 mil (although I would guess he only sees the guaranteed $50 mil before being cut)  Fitz was 2 years 11 mil.   Plus Miami kept the draft pick.   whats the difference?   5 wins vs 7 wins?   Who cares, they need to go long term with their biuilding Foles or Fitz, neither was going to be their future.    

But Jax has a shot at Foles being their present.  Worth going for it now while the bulk of the defense remains.  Regardless if Foles isn't worth the 4 yr 88 mil deal or if he isn't their future ... its worth it for Jax to take the shot now.  They were the only team in that situation where Foles made sense.  Nobody else that needed a QB was close to being relevant.  

15 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

That's what I meant, worded it weird. That we have that much just surprised me. Kicked a lot down the road. Pay Wentz? More players? Roll some over or just keep it for chasing players as they become available? Nice we can still play a little. Really thought it was closer than that.

Not really as far as kicked down the road.   McCloud they restructured for him to take less money where his reward was being a FA after this year (he came off the books down the road)  Wiz, Bennett ... out over $10 mil saved.   Foles left $18 mil came off the cap. Peters taking less money, but still coming off the books after this year.  Darby and Agholor are almost $18 mil that come off the books after this year.   Kelce extended a year, which allowed us to save this year (that could be a little down the road, not much)  Lane, Bradham had some pushed down the road.  That's really it.    Long just delayed his roster bonus so that if he retires or asks for a release, he won't hurt us by counting $2 mil for no reason.  

Other than that... just how the contracts were structured properly with Malik Jackson and Graham to spread out the cap hits, I would assume DeSean the same thing.   They are also adding in the leftover cap space that got carried forward from last year.  Also, only the top 51 count towards the cap number at this time.. eventually the draft picks, practice squad etc will count. I believe that's June 1?   

But again ... cap space is not an issue, if the Eagles really want a player they will get him.    But they will not overpay for what they think the value is.