DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not really as far as kicked down the road.   McCloud they restructured for him to take less money where his reward was being a FA after this year (he came off the books down the road)  Wiz, Bennett ... out over $10 mil saved.   Foles left $18 mil came off the cap. Peters taking less money, but still coming off the books after this year.  Darby and Agholor are almost $18 mil that come off the books after this year.   Kelce extended a year, which allowed us to save this year (that could be a little down the road, not much)  Lane, Bradham had some pushed down the road.  That's really it.    Long just delayed his roster bonus so that if he retires or asks for a release, he won't hurt us by counting $2 mil for no reason.  

Other than that... just how the contracts were structured properly with Malik Jackson and Graham to spread out the cap hits, I would assume DeSean the same thing.   They are also adding in the leftover cap space that got carried forward from last year.  Also, only the top 51 count towards the cap number at this time.. eventually the draft picks, practice squad etc will count. I believe that's June 1?   

But again ... cap space is not an issue, if the Eagles really want a player they will get him.    But they will not overpay for what they think the value is.  

Yep,push it down the road,cut them if they get too expensive and not worth the output/benefit

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/bengals-move-on-from-vontaze-burfict/

I know he gets a lot of penalties but hey I love how he plays mean on every play reminds me of the good ole days. I honestly wouldn't mind this pickuo

If he's cheap 1 more violation/suspension and he's out 

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Amazing Wizardry! Or it’s just paying guys in 2023 for their play this year. 

Guys on the books for 2023 (as of now, but can change depending on if we exercise the options)

Cox  =  $3.6 mil   would be age 33
Seumalo = $960k ... would be age 30
Lane  =  $2.7 mil .. would be age 33
Kelce = $2.9 mil ... would be age 36 ... don't see it
Graham = $3.376  .. would be age 35 .. don't see it (although Bennet considered a steal at $7.2 mil turning age 34 this year)
Malik Jackson = $2.4 mil ... would be age 33.   he may come off the books before then.  

So in total ... all this pushing down the road of a little shy of $16 mil ... considering some of the players have chance of being here, some of it could come off  the books before then, they won the SB with over $30 mil in dead money which was their absolute most ever by far.. and that the cap will jump huge by 2023.  Not to mention new CBA could have chance to dump all dead money like they did in 2010 (the non capped year)  

I would say good managing of the cap.  That part is fine, still need to draft well to get the younger players for the next core group.  

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If he's cheap 1 more violation/suspension and he's out 

That was his 1st ped suspension and it was like Johnson's so I'm not worried about that. Now he could definitely miss a game or 2 for illegal hits but I would still love to have him he plays with more heart then pretty much anyone else at the position. He might not have the talent as others but he has more heart that is what I want on my team. 

33 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Duce at the temple pro day looking at the Temple RB could be a guy to keep an eye on 

Was a long drive!  LOL

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Guys on the books for 2023 (as of now, but can change depending on if we exercise the options)

Cox  =  $3.6 mil   would be age 33
Seumalo = $960k ... would be age 30
Lane  =  $2.7 mil .. would be age 33
Kelce = $2.9 mil ... would be age 36 ... don't see it
Graham = $3.376  .. would be age 35 .. don't see it (although Bennet considered a steal at $7.2 mil turning age 34 this year)
Malik Jackson = $2.4 mil ... would be age 33.   he may come off the books before then.  

So in total ... all this pushing down the road of a little shy of $16 mil ... considering some of the players have chance of being here, some of it could come off  the books before then, they won the SB with over $30 mil in dead money which was their absolute most ever by far.. and that the cap will jump huge by 2023.  Not to mention new CBA could have chance to dump all dead money like they did in 2010 (the non capped year)  

I would say good managing of the cap.  That part is fine, still need to draft well to get the younger players for the next core group.  

And JP -should be his last year.No word on what is happening with Sproles

2 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

That was his 1st ped suspension and it was like Johnson's so I'm not worried about that. Now he could definitely miss a game or 2 for illegal hits but I would still love to have him he plays with more heart then pretty much anyone else at the position. He might not have the talent as others but he has more heart that is what I want on my team. 

IDK if violation of player rules counts on the 3 strikes? That was a longer suspension than the PED

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Forget Sproles until after the draft... he won't decide or get signed until May.  No rush to sign him either.  Doubt he is looking to go to a bunch of places... one of his 3 former teams should be the choice, possibly the Rams?  But no rush to sign him either before seeing how everythign else plays out.  He knows his role, he isn't the main guy.  

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Was a long drive!  LOL

Armstead would be a UDFA pick,possibly Duce was bored and wanted to go for a ride

4 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Can he cover?   Will he help you win?   It's really all that matters... we have enough heart on this team, but we could use the talent at his spot.  Can he play the 2019 and beyond style, not the 1970s style LB.  The hitter doesn't interest me as much as the guy who does his assignments and doesn't get beat.  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Forget Sproles until after the draft... he won't decide or get signed until May.  No rush to sign him either.  Doubt he is looking to go to a bunch of places... one of his 3 former teams should be the choice, possibly the Rams?  But no rush to sign him either before seeing how everythign else plays out.  He knows his role, he isn't the main guy.  

Well we could be looking at picking up a "bellcow" RB in FA,then finding a replacement for Sproles,although I think Clement and Adams suit that role

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Armstead would be a UDFA pick,possibly Duce was bored and wanted to go for a ride

I thought Temple has a RB that is supposed to get drafted?  Being an alumn I follow just enough to hear about some of the players turning pro.  

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We keep saying this is JP last year and he just keeps coming back lol no but seriously I do agree with you.....As for Sproles he is FA he can opt to sign were ever he wants or he could retire(he could just be waiting to see if Philly offers him something)

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Better UDFA guy IMO would be Ty Johnson from Maryland/Groom him,work on him,could be a nice lead type RB in the future

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I thought Temple has a RB that is supposed to get drafted?  Being an alumn I follow just enough to hear about some of the players turning pro.  

IDK only one I see is Armstead(at least on Draftek)

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well we could be looking at picking up a "bellcow" RB in FA,then finding a replacement for Sproles,although I think Clement and Adams suit that role

I think we get 2 RBs... however you want to label them is up to you, but I wouldn't expect any news on Sproles until after the draft, but who knows?   If he leaves, he counts towards the comp picks... but it would have to be before the 2nd Tuesday after the draft, thats why I don't think teams will rush to sign him.  

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

We keep saying this is JP last year and he just keeps coming back lol no but seriously I do agree with you.....As for Sproles he is FA he can opt to sign were ever he wants or he could retire(he could just be waiting to see if Philly offers him something)

Well at some point he's gonna run the tank dry,and we need to be ready to spell him the year that happens.Could even be this year

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Well, this is the last year of the contract, first time we have had that with JP, they always extend him prior to him playing the upcoming season... not this time.  LOL

Just now, joemas6 said:

I think we get 2 RBs... however you want to label them is up to you, but I wouldn't expect any news on Sproles until after the draft, but who knows?   If he leaves, he counts towards the comp picks... but it would have to be before the 2nd Tuesday after the draft, thats why I don't think teams will rush to sign him.  

Yeah I'm assuming 1 in FA,one in the draft,unless 2 vets just fall in our lap(Duke for instance)

Just now, joemas6 said:

Well, this is the last year of the contract, first time we have had that with JP, they always extend him prior to him playing the upcoming season... not this time.  LOL

I hope we can send him off the another ring lol

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW,if Sproles hangs up the cleats would love to have him as an assistant to Duce

DUce on the mains and Sproles on the scatbacks-perfect tandem

IDK.... I think we may see a formation this year ... Alshon, DeSean, Agholor, Ertz and Goedert ... with Goedert as the H back.   He can block and then release if needed... has all the top receiving threats on the field, plus the extra blocker.     I would think Clement does well as the receiving back, maybe one of the other 2, but I would assume the priority is getting the early down RB for now.  That's why I'm not seeing Coleman or Duke as the primary investment.   I agree they would fit here, just don't see either as the guy they invest in the most, because they would still need the main runner?   

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ryquell Armstead yea  is likely a day 3 guy from what I’ve seen 

Ingrahm gone in NO,so maybe Kamara takes they lead and Sproles goes "home" for one final year

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Ryquell Armstead yea  is likely a day 3 guy from what I’ve seen 

This puts him in the range I see us adding a RB in the draft....Somewhere on day 3 rounds 4-7