DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Weren't the Eagles rumored last year before the trade deadline to be interested in the Cardinals RB David Johnson? Hey Howie, Could Johnson be your big surprise? LOL

We are rumored to have interest in every RB lol media views RB as a glaring hole and link us with every RB that is available though our FO clearly views things differently....Though to be fair David Johnson would be a perfect fit here 

7 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

We are rumored to have interest in every RB lol media views RB as a glaring hole and link us with every RB that is available though our FO clearly views things differently....Though to be fair David Johnson would be a perfect fit here 

1.  I agree about it being wrong to link us to every RB ...lol

2.  I do think that last year they clearly viewed Clement as a #3 RB in a rotation.   With the idea... Ajayi, Sproles Clement  (you could argue Clement would rush more than Sproles, but i'm talking in total)   So, I do think the FO thinks we need to get 2 RBs that would go before Clement in the progression... probably have Smallwood and Adams battle it out.  Maybe keep 5 just incase.  Or one goes on PUP or IR for some mysterious reason?   

So I'm expecting 2 moves.   I think one surprise with either a better vet than we thought (or bigger name)  ... or we draft one on day 2.    

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

1.  I agree about it being wrong to link us to every RB ...lol

2.  I do think that last year they clearly viewed Clement as a #3 RB in a rotation.   With the idea... Ajayi, Sproles Clement  (you could argue Clement would rush more than Sproles, but i'm talking in total)   So, I do think the FO thinks we need to get 2 RBs that would go before Clement in the progression... probably have Smallwood and Adams battle it out.  Maybe keep 5 just incase.  Or one goes on PUP or IR for some mysterious reason?   

So I'm expecting 2 moves.   I think one surprise with either a better vet than we thought (or bigger name)  ... or we draft one on day 2.    

I believe the FO views Clement as the #2 type guy just not the lead guy....I do believe the FO thinks we need to address RB and likely see us add two guys as well but I don’t think they are making it as such a huge problem as media and fans hence the I think they view it differently part

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Can he cover?   Will he help you win?   It's really all that matters... we have enough heart on this team, but we could use the talent at his spot.  Can he play the 2019 and beyond style, not the 1970s style LB.  The hitter doesn't interest me as much as the guy who does his assignments and doesn't get beat.  

Burfict can still play was still in top half of starting OLB last year. He shouldn't break the bank either. Can he cover better then you realize but he doesn't have the speed to keep up with slot receivers and fast TE's but we play dime the majority of the time anyways. He would be a great run supporting LB which we need behind 2 pass rushing DT's.

4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I believe the FO views Clement as the #2 type guy just not the lead guy....I do believe the FO thinks we need to address RB and likely see us add two guys as well but I don’t think they are making it as such a huge problem as media and fans hence the I think they view it differently part

You can debate what the #2 is.. the guy with the second most touches ... or the guy that goes in on 3rd down.  I think its Clement and 2 bigger rushers .. or Clement plus one rusher and one passing RB with him as the tweener.   Either way, I think he would be the 3rd guy out of 3, with the other guys looking to fight for the #4.    Just talking about who is on the roster now.  

I think the FO knows there are lots of options out there... where the fans want this done yesterday and just see guys who were UFAs and then got signed as they come off the board.  WE aren't around for these conversations that go on between clubs... talks that probably originate a long time ago. Things could be in the works, slow negotiations with the idea that you know a player can be had with the right offer.  

Just now, downwithdallas said:

Burfict can still play was still in top half of starting OLB last year. He shouldn't break the bank either. Can he cover better then you realize but he doesn't have the speed to keep up with slot receivers and fast TE's but we play dime the majority of the time anyways. He would be a great run supporting LB which we need behind 2 pass rushing DT's.

I don't know much about him ... other than Freak was in love with the guy years ago.  His hit on Brown in the playoffs was dumb ...and Ertz avoided him on a play too.   That's about it... if he is a LB that can cover, come cheap and add to ST... then we should bring him in for competition.  Especially without guaranteed $$$ or counting against the comp pick formula.  You would think Howie would be interested... I do know the dude seems to be a little unstable, that's pretty much it, not sure about his skills, other than hits... which don't excite me much in today's game.   i'm more of being a sure tackler than a big hitter.  

Welp just going by who we have actually had contact with,I believe we draft Higdon in round 4,Still like to have Ty Johnson(Maryland) as a WIP and possible future banger

Just now, joemas6 said:

I don't know much about him ... other than Freak was in love with the guy years ago.  His hit on Brown in the playoffs was dumb ...and Ertz avoided him on a play too.   That's about it... if he is a LB that can cover, come cheap and add to ST... then we should bring him in for competition.  Especially without guaranteed $$$ or counting against the comp pick formula.  You would think Howie would be interested... I do know the dude seems to be a little unstable, that's pretty much it, not sure about his skills, other than hits... which don't excite me much in today's game.   i'm more of being a sure tackler than a big hitter.  

Where is FREAK? Him and woody must be lost in the Bermuda Traingle 

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK,you hit a guy hard enough times,he's not gonna come after you or get in your way(see Vander-Esch)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK,you hit a guy hard enough times,he's not gonna come after you or get in your way(see Vander-Esch)

You mean the guy with speed that can cover and tackle well... that also hits as the additional bonus?

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Where is FREAK? Him and woody must be lost in the Bermuda Traingle 

didn't a former poster have his own website?   Maybe they all went there?   Or maybe Freak has a woman now, less time?   

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

You mean the guy with speed that can cover and tackle well... that also hits as the additional bonus?

Sure,he's got it all and does it all

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

didn't a former poster have his own website?   Maybe they all went there?   Or maybe Freak has a woman now, less time?   

IDK,usually he shows up around now,so yeah maybe that;s possible lol

Also since this site has basically been canned,he doesnt think we arestill on here???

I care more about his run stopping ability than his ability to cover someone. This team looked just horrible last year against the run. Our LB's looked lost and couldn't bring anyone down. With Zeke, Barkley, Guice and the majority of playoff teams having above average RBs. I want him to have instincts and be a good run stopper. 

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I will say,before the server fries,I have really enjoyed this board and the people on here

Me too my friend 

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I will say,before the server fries,I have really enjoyed this board and the people on here

What do you mean... server fries?   

15 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I care more about his run stopping ability than his ability to cover someone. This team looked just horrible last year against the run. Our LB's looked lost and couldn't bring anyone down. With Zeke, Barkley, Guice and the majority of playoff teams having above average RBs. I want him to have instincts and be a good run stopper. 

They gave up 65 yards tothe Bears ... 9 from their QB... then 124 to Kamara and Ingrim combo.....  ZERO rushing TDs...  but 604 yards passing in two games.  IDK... I think our run D is fine.  Probaby more than fine with those stats on the road vs those two specific teams.   The pass defense will be what makes us win or lose in the end. 

But i'm ok with a minimum deal and a tryout.  Just not too excited on a one dimensional LB type, if that's what he is.  He's going to have to find a way to play vs the pass or they will exploit it.  

28 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They might be at the EYE.

I haven't been there since they went to the Facebook thing.

31 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You can debate what the #2 is.. the guy with the second most touches ... or the guy that goes in on 3rd down.  I think its Clement and 2 bigger rushers .. or Clement plus one rusher and one passing RB with him as the tweener.   Either way, I think he would be the 3rd guy out of 3, with the other guys looking to fight for the #4.    Just talking about who is on the roster now.  

I think the FO knows there are lots of options out there... where the fans want this done yesterday and just see guys who were UFAs and then got signed as they come off the board.  WE aren't around for these conversations that go on between clubs... talks that probably originate a long time ago. Things could be in the works, slow negotiations with the idea that you know a player can be had with the right offer.  

Believe we go the later route add lead guy and a pass catcher do still see Clement getting the 2nd most touches though hence why I see him as the #2.....Shoud be the change of pace to the lead guy running and still get some pass catching duties as well....

think ideally we would want the spread to be

lead guy 15-18 touches 

Clement- 8-12

Sproles(or similar player) 6-10

At its best looking at around 40 touches for the RBs which is with leads seen this happen more realistically think the goal is to get the RBs around 30ish touches a game total

2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Believe we go the later route add lead guy and a pass catcher do still see Clement getting the 2nd most touches though hence why I see him as the #2.....Shoud be the change of pace to the lead guy running and still get some pass catching duties as well....

think ideally we would want the spread to be

lead guy 15-18 touches 

Clement- 8-12

Sproles(or similar player) 6-10

At its best looking at around 40 touches for the RBs which is with leads seen this happen more realistically think the goal is to get the RBs around 30ish touches a game total

OK... so forget "touches" for a second.     I would break it down... the lead guy... getting carries.. not so much "touches"    Clement can be either the guy who carries it the 3d most, but be the lead receiver of the group ... like 2017 ... or he could be what I think hey had him planned to do last year.... get the 2nd most carries... but not be the leading receiver of the group or lead 3rd down guy... which was Sproles

I think it depends who they get.  But the main thing for me, because I think Clement can do either of those roles.... I want the lead RB that gets the bulk of the "carries"... the early down work.  Then we can go from there to see what Clement and the other guy do.

9 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

They might be at the EYE.

I haven't been there since they went to the Facebook thing.

So what's the EYE?  Is that the other website?  I forget the guys name.. .kool guy too.   They went to Facebook?  The EYE is what I'm talking about going to Facebook?

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

OK... so forget "touches" for a second.     I would break it down... the lead guy... getting carries.. not so much "touches"    Clement can be either the guy who carries it the 3d most, but be the lead receiver of the group ... like 2017 ... or he could be what I think hey had him planned to do last year.... get the 2nd most carries... but not be the leading receiver of the group or lead 3rd down guy... which was Sproles

I think it depends who they get.  But the main thing for me, because I think Clement can do either of those roles.... I want the lead RB that gets the bulk of the "carries"... the early down work.  Then we can go from there to see what Clement and the other guy do.

Lmao your saying essentially the same thing....We might see the labels different but we see there roles as the same 

2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao your saying essentially the same thing....We might see the labels different but we see there roles as the same 

IDK... I'm saying Clement could be either guy though.... the Sproles replacement in 2017 ... or the Blount replacement last year.   Even though last year I would have him ranked 3rd in order of importance (which is what I really mean as the #3)... as he would be second choice to start a series and second choice to go in on 3rd downs.  Would get more rushes than Sproles... not sure more snaps or touches though.   But would go in as the #1 after Ajayi injury if he could have.   Once both got hurt.... Clement had to go to the key down guy again... never got a chance to play healthy with the other two.

So, we get the lead guy.... then the next guy is the best option we can get.... whether its another runner type or the receiver type.  Either will compliment Clement and a #1 rusher type.