DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Think this move has "other" written all over it.In the event we DONT find another LB,we can play nickle more even if we are thin at LB.I like Wrangs LB now in the draft

I see it this way

I see the nfl going to more nickel regardless...3 LB sets are all but dying....Hence why we are seeing more of these hybrid LB/S as the 3rd LBer or just those big nickel sets with 3 S 

Again could see us going to sets with Sendjo Jenkins McLeod as more of the base D vs running downs then on the more passing downs switch it to say Maddox back deep with McLeod since they are the better cover guys 

I'm thinking this is more of a move to replace Maragos... the more I look at it.  He might not even make the team.  

Don't ask me why the Vikings not picking up his option - which made him UFA - counts against our comp picks

9 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'm thinking this is more of a move to replace Maragos... the more I look at it.  He might not even make the team.  

Maragos a full time ST ace and Sendjo a former pro bowl S......Not sure how we see him as the Maragos replacement but alright 

8 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Don't ask me why the Vikings not picking up his option - which made him UFA - counts against our comp picks

Same as Wiz for us.... its all a wash.   And same as Jernigan too.    Agholor wouldn't have helped if we let him go, because we actually picked up his option last year, it would have then been a cut.   Howie structured both Wiz and Jernigan's deals to be options for 2019.   Not picking it up means its not the same as a release, since technically its not like a player is on the roster until the option is picked up.   

My question is... why did we have to pick up the option on Foles and he had to decline it?   That one still gets me when comparing to all these other ones?  

4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Maragos a full time ST ace and Sendjo a former pro bowl S......Not sure how we see him as the Maragos replacement but alright 

is he probowl?   when was that?  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Same as Wiz for us.... its all a wash.   And same as Jernigan too.    Agholor wouldn't have helped if we let him go, because we actually picked up his option last year, it would have then been a cut.   Howie structured both Wiz and Jernigan's deals to be options for 2019.   Not picking it up means its not the same as a release, since technically its not like a player is on the roster until the option is picked up.   

My question is... why did we have to pick up the option on Foles and he had to decline it?   That one still gets me when comparing to all these other ones?  

is he probowl?   when was that?  

Pretty sure he went to the pro bowl in 17 could be mistaken but he was a high end start in 17

43 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I see the nfl going to more nickel regardless...3 LB sets are all but dying....Hence why we are seeing more of these hybrid LB/S as the 3rd LBer or just those big nickel sets with 3 S 

Why Wrangs pick in the draft is an excellent choice,the hybrid LB

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Why Wrangs pick in the draft is an excellent choice,the hybrid LB

IMO he would be a round 2 pick.I can replace Pratt and take out Chauncey Gardner(although I like this kid immensely,I like Pratt as well) for the moment in my mock

5 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Pretty sure he went to the pro bowl in 17 could be mistaken but he was a high end start in 17

5 mil and not picked up ... at his age.   I think more of a Maragos replacement.   He was good on ST.  We need that.  He will play there for sure.  Some packages on D and be a vet backup.   i'm ok with it.  But if he was a high player, you don't cut him for $5 mil.  He played 5 games last year.  Maybe they really liked the young guy who took his place?   But low risk either way.  

8 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

No pro bowl... that was their other safety.  But I do remember him being a blitzer... maybe Schwartz wants to blitz more?    Oops, I just woke up.  LOL

30 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

It is the option to have a contract.  So technically he was a free agent already, the Vikings chose to not retain him at a per determined salary.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

They gave up 65 yards tothe Bears ... 9 from their QB... then 124 to Kamara and Ingrim combo.....  ZERO rushing TDs...  but 604 yards passing in two games.  IDK... I think our run D is fine.  Probaby more than fine with those stats on the road vs those two specific teams.   The pass defense will be what makes us win or lose in the end. 

But i'm ok with a minimum deal and a tryout.  Just not too excited on a one dimensional LB type, if that's what he is.  He's going to have to find a way to play vs the pass or they will exploit it.  

Please the same reason so many teams have had good rush defenses for whole seasons. We had so many open holes in our secondary that a B squad offense could have passed on us from 20 to 20 then when we didn't have the whole field to defend we could play defense. 

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

So what's the EYE?  Is that the other website?  I forget the guys name.. .kool guy too.   They went to Facebook?  The EYE is what I'm talking about going to Facebook?

Just another website of eagles fans.

A bit rougher than this one. Not sure it even exists anymore

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Please the same reason so many teams have had good rush defenses for whole seasons. We had so many open holes in our secondary that a B squad offense could have passed on us from 20 to 20 then when we didn't have the whole field to defend we could play defense. 

But what happens in teh red zone and short yardage.   Why dont we give up rushing TDs if our rush D is so bad?   The pass rush needs to be kept at the elite level.  And the DL is the first line of defense vs the run.  I'll take a run stuffing LB for cheap though... give him a tryout. 

35 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

But what happens in teh red zone and short yardage.   Why dont we give up rushing TDs if our rush D is so bad?   The pass rush needs to be kept at the elite level.  And the DL is the first line of defense vs the run.  I'll take a run stuffing LB for cheap though... give him a tryout. 

We gave up 4.7 yards per rush for the season if you think that's good enough your crazy. Yes we were 7th in rushing defense but we also had the least attempted runs on us. Because of our battered secondary nobody ran on us not because we could stop it. How many games did we need to make a stop but they ran the ball down our throats instead. We couldn't get off the field cause teams were rarely in 3rd and long because they got 5 or more yards on 1st and/or 2nd down. Short yardage we did pretty good but we definitely need help in the middle level of our defense.

I know you said give him a shot but I'm trying to show you just how bad we were last year.

I'm not even sure that Malik Jackson will help improve our rushing defense. I mean he got benched last year because he couldn't play the run so he became a situational pass rusher in a rotation. 

58 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Welp,we COULD take lawrence(good run stuffer) maybe take some pressure of the LB's,OR Wilkins,who is better overall IMO,but then we need a better LB'er(catch 22)

51 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

We gave up 4.7 yards per rush for the season if you think that's good enough your crazy. Yes we were 7th in rushing defense but we also had the least attempted runs on us. Because of our battered secondary nobody ran on us not because we could stop it. How many games did we need to make a stop but they ran the ball down our throats instead. We couldn't get off the field cause teams were rarely in 3rd and long because they got 5 or more yards on 1st and/or 2nd down. Short yardage we did pretty good but we definitely need help in the middle level of our defense.

I know you said give him a shot but I'm trying to show you just how bad we were last year.

I just disagree.. like you said, because our pass D was so bad.   Look at crunch time... 3rd and longs... which we did get the other team in a lot.  Too high of a percentage were executed.  Last year there were a few long runs too, messed up the average... like a 90 yarder from Pederson... who couldn't finish the game with 100.   I agree it wasnt at 2017 level.  I'm not sure losing Mychal Kendricks... was that important... I think Jernigan and Allen loses were crucial... plus Curry was good vs the run.  Also a fresh DL helped, we were short handed a lot last year, instead of the typical stud 7 ... which replacing Curry and Allen for Ngata and Bennett would have worked... we lost Jernigan, lost Barnett ... Ngata banged up all season, and Graham off to a slow start.   That's a lot of change up front.  Like I said, the other loss in the front 7 of Kendrick doesn't seem as much a factor.  so sure, give him a tryout, but I don't look at LB as the main thing in the run game, I look at the DL as the main thing with LB as supporting players.  Regardless if you disagree, I would think of all the losses, Kendrick wasn't what you think hurt us the most.  

48 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I'm not even sure that Malik Jackson will help improve our rushing defense. I mean he got benched last year because he couldn't play the run so he became a situational pass rusher in a rotation. 

OR... he got benched because they were out of it and they wanted to give the young guys more reps?    Leads to a big contract getting released when they were hurting for cap space?    A lot of things add up here... brought to light at the press conference.  But you also get a motivated player.    IMO, I want the depth again on the DL.  So everyone helps.  The idea of Bennett getting the stats... sure he had to play a lot of snaps to get the stats at the end.  But overall, in 2017 when the stats were more spread per player, the team did much better.  Add me a couple more young players on that DL... maybe a vet for cheap at the end if Long moves on.   I'll take the LB too, just not where I'm focused.  For LB.. I would love to get a 3 down LB in round 2 of the draft.  That would be more paramount to me than a run stuffer on the early downs.... of which I have nothing against it either for around the vet minimum. 

22 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp,we COULD take lawrence(good run stuffer) maybe take some pressure of the LB's,OR Wilkins,who is better overall IMO,but then we need a better LB'er(catch 22)

I like Wilkins ability to play all 5 positions on the D Line. I love Lawrence power and girth. Wilkins is my choice. Timmy Jernnigan not getting much interest in FA could he come back on a team friendly deal... don’t think I would want him...would rather create that depth with more youth rather than older players.

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I just disagree.. like you said, because our pass D was so bad.   Look at crunch time... 3rd and longs... which we did get the other team in a lot.  Too high of a percentage were executed.  Last year there were a few long runs too, messed up the average... like a 90 yarder from Pederson... who couldn't finish the game with 100.   I agree it wasnt at 2017 level.  I'm not sure losing Mychal Kendricks... was that important... I think Jernigan and Allen loses were crucial... plus Curry was good vs the run.  Also a fresh DL helped, we were short handed a lot last year, instead of the typical stud 7 ... which replacing Curry and Allen for Ngata and Bennett would have worked... we lost Jernigan, lost Barnett ... Ngata banged up all season, and Graham off to a slow start.   That's a lot of change up front.  Like I said, the other loss in the front 7 of Kendrick doesn't seem as much a factor.  so sure, give him a tryout, but I don't look at LB as the main thing in the run game, I look at the DL as the main thing with LB as supporting players.  Regardless if you disagree, I would think of all the losses, Kendrick wasn't what you think hurt us the most.  

We still don't have curry or Allen but Bennett was rated as one of the best run stopping linemen last year. We lost him too. We picked up a bad run stopping DT who was so bad he got benched. And we expect it to improve from 4.7 yards a rush? We also lose Hicks from the linebacker position. Yes we gave up a lot of plays down field but most of that was on the secondary. We hopefully bolstered our pass rush from last year but we need linebackers. The lines job is to play the run on the way to the QB and the linebackers are supposed to clean up behind them. Well our linebackers with the exception of bradham didn't do it. I gave you true stats that showed how anemic our run defense was. Truly if you were playing the Eagles would you have ran the ball or trusted your receivers to beat guys that were off the street.

3 minutes ago, trini said:

I like Wilkins ability to play all 5 positions on the D Line. I love Lawrence power and girth. Wilkins is my choice. Timmy Jernnigan not getting much interest in FA could he come back on a team friendly deal... don’t think I would want him...would rather create that depth with more youth rather than older players.

Jernigan will turn 27 in September ... still would play 3 more seasons ... then have 8 months until he turns 30.  Age isn't the issue with him.   But if he comes back... we may lose a comp pick... lol.