DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

OR... he got benched because they were out of it and they wanted to give the young guys more reps?    Leads to a big contract getting released when they were hurting for cap space?    A lot of things add up here... brought to light at the press conference.  But you also get a motivated player.    IMO, I want the depth again on the DL.  So everyone helps.  The idea of Bennett getting the stats... sure he had to play a lot of snaps to get the stats at the end.  But overall, in 2017 when the stats were more spread per player, the team did much better.  Add me a couple more young players on that DL... maybe a vet for cheap at the end if Long moves on.   I'll take the LB too, just not where I'm focused.  For LB.. I would love to get a 3 down LB in round 2 of the draft.  That would be more paramount to me than a run stuffer on the early downs.... of which I have nothing against it either for around the vet minimum. 

You can't even argue that he was benched because of his run defense the coach literally said it and it happened early in the season before they were out of anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

un stopping DT who was so bad he got benched.

See... more to the story here that you don't seem to want to hear.  Need the whole context.  You are pulling a Ham to spin the words to make it sound good for your case... I got you... his pass rating was better than the run... not sure "benching" is the right term either.   ie... lets say we were out of it and we wanted to get Hester more reps.... where would you get him the reps... probably early downs right?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want to take Lawrence because he is a great run stuffer I want us to take him because we believe he can be a great all around player....That is the question I ask myself when it is Wilkins vs Lawrence who do I believe is the better all around player and I think it is Wilkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, downwithdallas said:

You can't even argue that he was benched because of his run defense the coach literally said it and it happened early in the season before they were out of anything 

OHHHHHH... thats what the coach said.    Got it.... its 100% then?   Again... 2 sides to the story ... listen to the press conference and read up a little more and things may not seem so bad.    OH no ... we signed a guy for $30 mil who can't tackle... he is Jason Babin... lol.   Lots of factors come into it.... thats all i'm saying.   But again for me... .I want to get to the QB.   We have 3 ends at he moment if Long stays... we needed one from the inside other than Cox and or putting a DE at DT.    Save the Nascar for less plays ... was used too much in 2018 compared to 2017... and with DEs that were already getting more snaps as it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also kind of skewed stats since the Jags were trailing and losing a lot teams of course opted to run more on them which in turn makes the whole team look worse against the run....Similar story to us we had such a great run D in 17 in part because we got out to such early leads forcing teams to adandon the run sooner and get in pass mode 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackson got benched week 11.   They were 3-6 playing against Pittsburgh.   We could debate if it was early or if they were out of it?   I would tend to lean on ... it wasn't early... and they were pretty much out of it.   And they needed to unload a contract.  I'm sure his run D probably wasn't so good... but lets be honest here... easy to read between the lines.   Either way ... we have a dude that is POed... I like it.   

Jerome Brown was my favorite DT .. funny guy.... but always seem to play a little POed at the other team... lol.   Love that for my DL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Jags also lost Paul at MLB have to wonder how that effect the whole D unit he was the QB of that unit got everyone lined up correctly

Joe doesn't think LB matter against the run only good if they can cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Joe doesn't think LB matter against the run only good if they can cover

I mean the days of the big 255-260 plus size LBers are dead that is true but LBers still aid vs the run....He isn’t wrong that in today’s NFL it is a must that they can cover if they want to have a long career....Todays LBs tend to be in that 230-245 range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Joe doesn't think LB matter against the run only good if they can cover

Yep... there goes the Ham like twistng of words .... what you missed was ... I think the defense can play with 8 ... skip the 3 LBs becausethey don't matter.   Yeah  thats exactly what I meant.    Again though... do you think losing Kendrick was the key to the run defense going a little backwards last year?   Or was it the situation on the DL?   Which had more impact in your opinion?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep... there goes the Ham like twistng of words .... what you missed was ... I think the defense can play with 8 ... skip the 3 LBs becausethey don't matter.   Yeah  thats exactly what I meant.    Again though... do you think losing Kendrick was the key to the run defense going a little backwards last year?   Or was it the situation on the DL?   Which had more impact in your opinion?   

This is true 2 LBer sets are slowly becoming the norm. Nickel D is slowly becoming more the base unit...hence my love for the big nickel sets with 3 S now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas has a nice young pair of LBs.... take away one of their skills... either vs the run or vs the pass ... which one would you like when we are playing them to be a little weak at?    I would prefer them to be a little weak in coverage.    BTW... I think we toast them this year in both games.  

Everything matters in football... otherwise the other team takes advantage of your weakness.  I would like having that stud run defending LB... for a play or two before he comes out on the money down.  The next acquisition at LB, I would just prefer it to be the next 3 down LB for us.  We need depth behind Bradham and we need a future there.   The kid from Indy would be something ideal for me.  Oviously they don't grow on trees, but thats the type... a guy who can do it all, not just stuff the run then come out.   

I'm with Bg... if we go DT first... I hope its a guy that can play both run and pass... you can get a run stuffer later in the draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

This is true 2 LBer sets are slowly becoming the norm. Nickel D is slowly becoming more the base unit...hence my love for the big nickel sets with 3 S now 

Yep.... take away the FB and put in a receiving threat.... the defense needs to counter.   If you add a 2nd three down LB .. you can do a lot of different things .. you can rush with 3 DL and use 6 DBs... if both LBs can cover then you can blitz from anywhere.  Its a package that could rest the DL a little too.  Bradham, 2nd LB... then run your 3 safeties... Sendejo can blitz well too... who is coming after the QB and who is staying on the slot guys?   

I guess I value the all around LB who doesnt come off the field is really what I'm trying to say.  Hicks to me is the best guy we have drafted in forever ... and poof he is gone.  Play slipped for sure, but when he was on there it was a thing of beauty watching him and Bradham tandem together.  We've seen enough one dimensional LB players over the last 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Yep.... take away the FB and put in a receiving threat.... the defense needs to counter.   If you add a 2nd three down LB .. you can do a lot of different things .. you can rush with 3 DL and use 6 DBs... if both LBs can cover then you can blitz from anywhere.  Its a package that could rest the DL a little too.  Bradham, 2nd LB... then run your 3 safeties... Sendejo can blitz well too... who is coming after the QB and who is staying on the slot guys?   

I guess I value the all around LB who doesnt come off the field is really what I'm trying to say.  Hicks to me is the best guy we have drafted in forever ... and poof he is gone.  Play slipped for sure, but when he was on there it was a thing of beauty watching him and Bradham tandem together.  We've seen enough one dimensional LB players over the last 20 years.

Hicks could have been a stud in this league if it wasn’t for injuries shame....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I value the all around guys as well and the guys that I’m looking at high in the draft....Later rounds are their to find guys that specialize in one key area holes in the rest of there game is what makes them fall....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

I value the all around guys as well and the guys that I’m looking at high in the draft....Later rounds are their to find guys that specialize in one key area holes in the rest of there game is what makes them fall....

BG, its a shame for an Eagles fan your age... the LB play you have had to witness over the years.   I grew up with the Vermeil teams.... Burgey, LeMaster, Bunting, Wilkes, Robinson .... then the Buddy/Kotite era .. Seth Joyner, Evans and Willie T.   Man those three brought it in all 3 phases... run, blitz and coverage.    I think a guy like Carlos Emmons was underrated.  He could set the edge, rush the passer and cover that TE, using the jam.   So many stiffs over the recent years.   I'm like the opposite of what DWD is trying to say, I would prefer the all around guys who don't need to come off the field... work on your craft, improve in all 3 phases.  Gives the D such an advantage.   I don't know about this Burfect guy.. but I'm not focusing on him if his thing is just hitting or run D.  I see a guy that the Rams, Saints and Pats would absolutely kill in a matchup.   I understand we play vs Barkely and Zeke ... but this isn't the late 80s early 90s where the NFC East was by far the best division and was the bar you had to meet.   I'm not looking at those teams as my measuring stick.  Besides.. those 2 RBs you need to cover in the pass game too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, trini said:

I like Wilkins ability to play all 5 positions on the D Line. I love Lawrence power and girth. Wilkins is my choice. Timmy Jernnigan not getting much interest in FA could he come back on a team friendly deal... don’t think I would want him...would rather create that depth with more youth rather than older players.

 

Like wilkins too,just saying if he goes,then Lawrence.Thing is we have not met with him(as of now),but we DID with Wilkins,which IMO is telling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I mean the days of the big 255-260 plus size LBers are dead that is true but LBers still aid vs the run....He isn’t wrong that in today’s NFL it is a must that they can cover if they want to have a long career....Todays LBs tend to be in that 230-245 range 

Really, Wrangs LB draft pick is growing on me-Pratt.That new type hybrid LB.Think he fits our scheme really well!! But we have not yet met with him either.I would snag him in round 2 with NP at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Dallas has a nice young pair of LBs.... take away one of their skills... either vs the run or vs the pass ... which one would you like when we are playing them to be a little weak at?    I would prefer them to be a little weak in coverage.    BTW... I think we toast them this year in both games.  

Everything matters in football... otherwise the other team takes advantage of your weakness.  I would like having that stud run defending LB... for a play or two before he comes out on the money down.  The next acquisition at LB, I would just prefer it to be the next 3 down LB for us.  We need depth behind Bradham and we need a future there.   The kid from Indy would be something ideal for me.  Oviously they don't grow on trees, but thats the type... a guy who can do it all, not just stuff the run then come out.   

I'm with Bg... if we go DT first... I hope its a guy that can play both run and pass... you can get a run stuffer later in the draft.  

My first 5 picks are 1) Wilkins-DT 2)Risner-OG/T 2) Wrangs guy Pratt-LB 4) Higdon-RB 4) Wrang's guy Renfro-WR I would be thrilled with these guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

My first 5 picks are 1) Wilkins-DT 2)Risner-OG/T 2) Wrangs guy Pratt-LB 4) Higdon-RB 4) Wrang's guy Renfro-WR I would be thrilled with these guys

Also a FA RB and would love it if we got Ty Johnson(RB Maryland) as a UDFA future banger(rough around the edges,but beaucoup potential)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Nice find Wrang,any clue as to where he may go on draft day?

The kid has been moving up so I believe pick 53 is not too soon. There will probably be three LB go before him such as Devin White, Josh Allen, Mack Wilson and maybe even Te'von Coney however these guys are all old school linebackers. The type of defense Schwartz plays sort of dictates the new style linebacker that can cover a Running Back or TE in pass coverage and this guy in my opinion is the top new style LB in the draft. He has all the tools as far as being a great tackle and was also a former safety that outgrew his position. There will be a learning curve for him but I believe he is worth the risk. He looks like a keeper so I will stick my neck out on an endorsement. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The kid has been moving up so I believe pick 53 is not too soon. There will probably be three LB go before him such as Devin White, Josh Allen, Mack Wilson and maybe even Te'von Coney however these guys are all old school linebackers. The type of defense Schwartz plays sort of dictates the new style linebacker that can cover a Running Back or TE in pass coverage and this guy in my opinion is the top new style LB in the draft. He has all the tools as far as being a great tackle and was also a former safety that outgrew his position. There will be a learning curve for him but I believe he is worth the risk. He looks like a keeper so I will stick my neck out on an endorsement. LOL

Yeah,agreed.As a former S he could also cover shallow TE routes.Like this find ALOT.He hits hard and is agile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The kid has been moving up so I believe pick 53 is not too soon. There will probably be three LB go before him such as Devin White, Josh Allen, Mack Wilson and maybe even Te'von Coney however these guys are all old school linebackers. The type of defense Schwartz plays sort of dictates the new style linebacker that can cover a Running Back or TE in pass coverage and this guy in my opinion is the top new style LB in the draft. He has all the tools as far as being a great tackle and was also a former safety that outgrew his position. There will be a learning curve for him but I believe he is worth the risk. He looks like a keeper so I will stick my neck out on an endorsement. LOL

Just wonder if he is on our radar.We didn't meet with him when we could have,so IDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now