DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was reading this story about the power struggle in Pittsburg where they said Big Ben has an owner mentality. And he only wants to win his way. Anyway it finished up with saying Big Ben is a first ballot Hall of Famer. And I thought whoooaaa pump the breaks a little there. He’s in good shape to get in the Hall. I’ll give him that. Had good longevetity. He’s a six time Pro Bowler and a two time SB champ. But first ballot I just don’t see.

Ham ... I get where you are coming from..... but he plays QB for the Steelers ... too high profile of a position and team.   That's why he'll probably be first ballot.     And as for rolling out and passing... Montana was the most accurate and smooth that I've seen.   People forget the younger version prior to Rice and maybe Rice's forst couple of years ... he was a good athlete.   Rodgers reminds me of Montana when he rolls out to throw... smooth, always in control even when he is running fast ... and Rodgers has an extra 20mph on the fastball.  No where in any football universe would a WR benefit from going from Rodgers to Dak.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Tonight was good ... but usually I'm with MJK... the issue with the 3 point shot is the players get lazy.  Bird was the best shooter I've seen with clutch, a guy on him or whatever combo you want to say.   When he wanted the ball inside, thats where he got it, he didn't back up the moment the defense got tough... today, you see Centers and power forwards all shooting 3s and playing 20 feet away from the hoop.  Was better with only a few outside shooting specialists... not when everyone shoots them.   40 per game is a little much.  The issue is now thats all the kids do now too.  No instinct to go inside, starts from too early of an age.  

So move the circle out  a bit.You still have to WORK to get open enough to take that shot(aka aglity).As someone who is not all that tall,nor weighs 250+,you are denying "other" players to play the game and make a living

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

So move the circle out  a bit.You still have to WORK to get open enough to take that shot(aka aglity).As someone who is not all that tall,nor weighs 250+,you are denying "other" players to play the game and make a living

GBFL... have you watched much hoops lately?     Its all threes?    And who are you denying playing the game?    I'll say it again... nothing wrong with outside shooting specialists .... I don''t need to see 7 foot guys shooting 10 three point shots per game, they can go inside, let the little guys stay outside.    I gotta think its been a while since you watched a game... Nash in Phoenix was like 15 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... have you watched much hoops lately?     Its all threes?    And who are you denying playing the game?    I'll say it again... nothing wrong with outside shooting specialists .... I don''t need to see 7 foot guys shooting 10 three point shots per game, they can go inside, let the little guys stay outside.    I gotta think its been a while since you watched a game... Nash in Phoenix was like 15 years ago

I have no control over the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds as though we are close to signing Vinny Curry back 

Believe he was cut right so doesn’t count against the comp. picks that how that works right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Curry as a depth piece and good insurance with Long still unsure what he is doing...

Our DL is still old though need younger pieces only somewhat prove young player we have is Barnett and he hasn’t even had a full season as a starter yet...Other youngster haven’t shown much or anything at all Hector,Hester,Sweat.

rest of our DL is 29 and over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Sounds as though we are close to signing Vinny Curry back 

Believe he was cut right so doesn’t count against the comp. picks that how that works right 

Nope, doesn't count against comp picks.  As for Long, I think he is out.  Just a gut feeling... when a player starts talking about playing time, that kinda rubs me like.... "don't improve my position because I want to get more playing time"   A GM can't think like that, not at that position where depth matters and you use your subs during the game.  Its different than OL when your goal is to play the same 5 all game and all season long.  

I think this same issue was with Bennett ... after hearing and reading more about it... plus the money.  With Long at least he is honest, he wants to play more.   I think he asks for a release if we draft a DE with one of the first 3 picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nope, doesn't count against comp picks.  As for Long, I think he is out.  Just a gut feeling... when a player starts talking about playing time, that kinda rubs me like.... "don't improve my position because I want to get more playing time"   A GM can't think like that, not at that position where depth matters and you use your subs during the game.  Its different than OL when your goal is to play the same 5 all game and all season long.  

I think this same issue was with Bennett ... after hearing and reading more about it... plus the money.  With Long at least he is honest, he wants to play more.   I think he asks for a release if we draft a DE with one of the first 3 picks.  

Has long been talking playing time???? I haven’t seen anything about him talking or complaining about it....I do say this again I believe Long retires if he doesn’t play in Philly this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Has long been talking playing time???? I haven’t seen anything about him talking or complaining about it....I do say this again I believe Long retires if he doesn’t play in Philly this year 

You watching any of the interviews since?  A few times on camera.  Its not really... "I want more playing time"   But its .... I have to see about the football situation.   I still feel like I can bring a lot to a team, I haven't missed a practice in two years"  And then something like being used more or whatever,  not sure of he specifics ... but thats pretty much where its at.   He wants to be used a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joemas6 said:

You watching any of the interviews since?  A few times on camera.  Its not really... "I want more playing time"   But its .... I have to see about the football situation.   I still feel like I can bring a lot to a team, I haven't missed a practice in two years"  And then something like being used more or whatever,  not sure of he specifics ... but thats pretty much where its at.   He wants to be used a lot.  

For me … if I’m going to play 20 snaps a game and I might not play on third downs, I have zero interest in that. I got a lot of stuff I want to do."

Quote from the long interview sounds to me he just wants to make sure he is a key contributor on the team if he comes back doesn’t want to come back be the 5th DE and rarely see the field....Same article also stated he would be open to rework his deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Has long been talking playing time???? I haven’t seen anything about him talking or complaining about it....I do say this again I believe Long retires if he doesn’t play in Philly this year 

I think very good chance he retires.... but I think he asks for release and then looks around to see about another situation ... if it presents itself, he keeps playing.    Might even start happening behind the scenes without us knowing it.       Read these quick quotes ... what does it sound like he is waiting on ???  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001013564/article/chris-long-ponders-retirement-returning-to-eagles

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Chris-Long-Eagles-retirement-plans-128395051/

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Chris-Long-Eagles-retirement-plans-2019--129472408/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

For me … if I’m going to play 20 snaps a game and I might not play on third downs, I have zero interest in that. I got a lot of stuff I want to do."

Quote from the long interview sounds to me he just wants to make sure he is a key contributor on the team if he comes back doesn’t want to come back be the 5th DE and rarely see the field....Same article also stated he would be open to rework his deal

Right .. .so what does that tell you?  As an Eagles fan, do you want Howie to address the position and add a player?     Basically... its Long saying, "If they get too good at my position, then I won't want to come back"    ... you can debate semantics... 4th DE or 5th DE... but Howie isn't going to pay a 5th DE $5.6 mil.    So my take its more 4th DE or even just where he doesn't expect to play much.  You draft a DE high and what do you think it makes him lean towards?      

Plus ... If dude thinks he can still play ... why wouldn't he look for another opportunity.  If the right one comes along ... he will play for another team for sure.   The itch will be scratched.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO... you don't pass on drafting a stud DE at 25 or first round ...even if you have to move up a little.... simply because of Long.   I'm also not forcing a DE pick either.   But I'm not refusing to sign Curry and refusing to draft a DE because of Long.   I just think Howie looks to the future here.  Unless there are obvious players they like better... I think good chance we acquire Curry and a DE early.... and Long plays elsewhere ... 50- 50 next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right .. .so what does that tell you?  As an Eagles fan, do you want Howie to address the position and add a player?     Basically... its Long saying, "If they get too good at my position, then I won't want to come back"    ... you can debate semantics... 4th DE or 5th DE... but Howie isn't going to pay a 5th DE $5.6 mil.    So my take its more 4th DE or even just where he doesn't expect to play much.  You draft a DE high and what do you think it makes him lean towards?      

Plus ... If dude thinks he can still play ... why wouldn't he look for another opportunity.  If the right one comes along ... he will play for another team for sure.   The itch will be scratched.  

What that says to me is it is a guy that wants to play and chance to compete....Can you blame a guy that is what 33 that is only playing football for the love of the game to you know actually want to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never once said pass up on anyone....If a pass rusher is there go get him...I do believe Long is in the right to wiegh his options I don’t blame him for not wanting to return to Philly if he is the 5th DE(even less if he doesn’t even get to compete and is just told he is the 5th DE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the quotes all sounds like Long wants to make sure he has a role in the D before he decides what he wants....Again not the wrong move for him and on the FO front it allows them to make moves like he isn’t coming back(which they should be planning for regardless).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I have never once said pass up on anyone....If a pass rusher is there go get him...I do believe Long is in the right to wiegh his options I don’t blame him for not wanting to return to Philly if he is the 5th DE(even less if he doesn’t even get to compete and is just told he is the 5th DE)

I think I fault him even less since he has basically played here for free the last 2 years if he wants to walk away it will be with my thanks and an applauds for the man he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I think I fault him even less since he has basically played here for free the last 2 years if he wants to walk away it will be with my thanks and an applauds for the man he is.

I feel the same way plays for free only playing for the love of the game and in the same interviews makes it sound like he is more then willing to rework his deal to lower his cap hit(though he gives all his money to charities throughout the year) so kinda makes me feel like a D to even ask him to take a cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I feel the same way plays for free only playing for the love of the game and in the same interviews makes it sound like he is more then willing to rework his deal to lower his cap hit(though he gives all his money to charities throughout the year) so kinda makes me feel like a D to even ask him to take a cut.

If he's EFFECTIVE and worth the money,then keep him.If he's effective when he DOES play,kinda obvious he would get more snaps,but he also has to realize he's not young anymore,so we shall see(JP keeps playing even though we thought he was outta gas 3 years ago) lol.I'm sure he understands playing time is not a given and must be earned annually. I DO believe we take a DE,in the draft,but a late one that has upside who wont mind learning and improving for a year.Looking at the list of visits,the one who could fit this criteria is Xmines,got him as a round 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after all the finagling,if I am keeping track correctly,we have 7 picks???(25,54,57,127,138,163,and 197)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried finding this,maybe someone else can.I want to know what the % of guys we pick in the draft were ones we visited and the % that weren't visited(aka tape only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if we want Long back make a side deal Lurie donates to his charity

Posted last night we had a bid in for Curry.

Now get Blount and maybe Jernigan back, draft a RB, a few udfa's, draft young DL, OL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Reading the quotes all sounds like Long wants to make sure he has a role in the D before he decides what he wants....Again not the wrong move for him and on the FO front it allows them to make moves like he isn’t coming back(which they should be planning for regardless).

 

BG... Never said you would pass up a DE ... never blaming Long for saying what he says ... not ever blaming anyone .... just the writing on the wall... "wait and see"  what is there to wait for other thatn to see who else we bring in at his position?    At this point, if we draft a DE in the first 3 picks... what do you think happens with Long?   Also ... what are the odds we draft a DE in that range?    The guy said he still has juice left, still has the itch.     Put all 3 factors together ... it all adds up for asking for a release after we draft a DE.    Which it all comes down to that IMO.   Not blaming anyone here.... just the reality of life and a mutual agreement to part ways with no hard feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now