DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Interesting Oliver said the NFL players he most wanted to play for or against is our very own Kelce

So the annual debate on BPA vs need is officially underway!

Unless there's an absolute need, you're absolutely in love with a player or the coach is on the hot seat, then your board's already weighted.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
40 TIME PLAYER POS SCHOOL
4.29 Zedrick Woods S Ole Miss
4.30 Jamel Dean CB Auburn
4.31 Parris Campbell WR Ohio State
4.31 Andy Isabella WR Massachusetts
4.33 Mecole Hardman WR Georgia
4.33 D.K. Metcalf WR Ole Miss
4.35 Terry McLaurin WR Ohio State
4.36 Darnell Savage S Maryland
4.37 Greedy Williams CB LSU
4.37 Mark Fields CB Clemson
4.39 Emanuel Hall WR Missouri
4.39 Darius Slayton WR Auburn
4.39 Darius West S Kentucky

This is list of fast guys. But half of them can’t play. Two are first rounders. Most are projects and will be drafted just because they have speed. And half are defensive backs so a CB won’t have to cover that. But the all around game with the 4.37 forty is probably what makes Greedy the top overall cornerback. Isabella and Hardman are decent day three projects.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Unless there's an absolute need, you're absolutely in love with a player or the coach is on the hot seat, then your board's already weighted.

Right ... its your BPA .... not a magazine or website giving away # grades .... 2 guys are there.... you want one over the other, very simple.  You go into the draft with that in mind.    When you make a selection, it may or may not change your next pick(s) .. ie change "your" board.   Position should be a factor .... and forget "need"  I find it hard to believe that in the last 30 plus years ... we haven't had a RB, S, TE or LB  as the BPA .... ever?   Plenty of seasons where you can say those positions are "needs"   so somehow more than "need" is a factor when looking at positions... at least for this organization under Lurie.  

For example ... listening to Howie after the selection of Marcus Smith ... "we had a few guys rated there the same " right, so obviously they rate a DL as a priority over some of the other positions that were there.  Its why I don't really like the philosophy at all.   It kept leading to DL from McDougle to Cox ... a decade long where McDougle, Patterson, Bunkley, Abiamiri, Laws, Graham and Cox were all basically selected first (I don't count Kolb as we all knew he was going to be a backup for a while, Abiamiri was the first selection that was going to see the field.)  The other 3 first selections were Andrews, Maclin and Watkins.   10 years ... 7 DL, 2 OL and a WR.   Can't have too much weight towards a position, regardless if its need or just your philosophy of prioritizing the position.  Creates holes elsewhere.  

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nope, doesn't count against comp picks.  As for Long, I think he is out.  Just a gut feeling... when a player starts talking about playing time, that kinda rubs me like.... "don't improve my position because I want to get more playing time"   A GM can't think like that, not at that position where depth matters and you use your subs during the game.  Its different than OL when your goal is to play the same 5 all game and all season long.  

I think this same issue was with Bennett ... after hearing and reading more about it... plus the money.  With Long at least he is honest, he wants to play more.   I think he asks for a release if we draft a DE with one of the first 3 picks.  

I believe a Curry signing is perfect for Long. Long doesn’t  to play every snap. His main thing is he wants to play on passing downs. That’s what I read from it is he doesn’t want to come off the field on third downs.

21 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was reading this story about the power struggle in Pittsburg where they said Big Ben has an owner mentality. And he only wants to win his way. Anyway it finished up with saying Big Ben is a first ballot Hall of Famer. And I thought whoooaaa pump the breaks a little there. He’s in good shape to get in the Hall. I’ll give him that. Had good longevetity. He’s a six time Pro Bowler and a two time SB champ. But first ballot I just don’t see.

Speaking of 'pump the brakes'. I like his confidence, but let's not get a target on your back there Mills.

Jalen Mills thinks the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl again

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/19/eagles-jalen-mills-win-another-super-bowl/

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I believe a Curry signing is perfect for Long. Long doesn’t  to play every snap. His main thing is he wants to play on passing downs. That’s what I read from it is he doesn’t want to come off the field on third downs.

Right... as is, I think he would want to stay.  What happens if we draft a DE early?   I mean, I doubt we sign a big free agent at this point, taking away one of the top comp picks if not thee top comp pick.   So he should have already said I'm in.  Only thing that makes sense is waiting til after the draft?

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

It’s hard to not take your top guy if it’s really high on the board. Like at 25 I’m figuring we could be looking at a player ranked 15 on the Big Board. You take that guy. Later in the draft I’m more fine with choosing ...83 or 87? I consider position.

3 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Speaking of 'pump the brakes'. I like his confidence, but let's not get a target on your back there Mills.

Jalen Mills thinks the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl again

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/19/eagles-jalen-mills-win-another-super-bowl/

Alshon said the same .... non issue ... every player should have that as the goal and think they should accomplish it at this point

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right... as is, I think he would want to stay.  What happens if we draft a DE early?   I mean, I doubt we sign a big free agent at this point, taking away one of the top comp picks if not thee top comp pick.   So he should have already said I'm in.  Only thing that makes sense is waiting til after the draft?

Oh yeah definitely what he’s worried about. If we take Montez Sweat or Burns...Long is out. Not getting retirement vibe from him though. He referenced playing really strong the second half of last season. So he’s playing this season. Where? Not sure yet.

Just now, joemas6 said:

I say let them compete if Long loses let him go to pursue a new team...Not a fan of handing jobs out....3rd/4th DE essentially the same they going to have a big role in the rotation....Just cuz he is a high pick if he can’t beat out long or Curry then honestly doesn’t deserve to be in the rotation...As for Long if he can’t beat out a rook then he clearly isn’t the man for the job let him walk to go elsewhere or retire 

Goal is set for the future no matter how we look at it going to need a pass rusher in near future same with DT.....Curry/Long both 30 plus on 1 year deals, Graham is already 30....DT both guys 29 going on 30 no real depth behind them maybe Hester takes a step forward but at best right now I see him maybe being a 3rd rotational piece 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

I say let them compete if Long loses let him go to pursue a new team...Not a fan of handing jobs out....3rd/4th DE essentially the same they going to have a big role in the rotation....Just cuz he is a high pick if he can’t beat out long or Curry then honestly doesn’t deserve to be in the rotation...As for Long if he can’t beat out a rook then he clearly isn’t the man for the job let him walk to go elsewhere or retire 

BG... thats what works for the Eagles....  seems like it doesn't for Long.  That's what I've been trying to say.   It all adds up to if we draft a DE high, then he will ask for his release.  Try to find a job that suits him where he gets his playing time and for the right overall situation... if not, then he retires.  But I don't think its retire without seriously looking around for another team.  And $$ wouldn't be the issue, it would be his contribution to probably a contending team.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

BG... thats what works for the Eagles....  seems like it doesn't for Long.  That's what I've been trying to say.   It all adds up to if we draft a DE high, then he will ask for his release.  Try to find a job that suits him where he gets his playing time and for the right overall situation... if not, then he retires.  But I don't think its retire without seriously looking around for another team.  And $$ wouldn't be the issue, it would be his contribution to probably a contending team.

That were we differ though even if we draft a DE high I’m not sure Long is Hell bent to get out of philly....I think he would be fine if he gets a fair chance to compete....If we draft a guy and tell him hey your the 5th DE no matter what then yea he is out the door 

Long is behind Barnett and Graham. That’s already taken place. So he is third off the bat...at best. Curry isn’t the pass rusher so he isn’t a real threat. But Sweat is on the team already. The team will give Sweat every opportunity I would assume. And with the draft investment Long understands that. I think Long can deal with all of that. But a pass rusher added in the first two rounds and he moves on.

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

That were we differ though even if we draft a DE high I’m not sure Long is Hell bent to get out of philly....I think he would be fine if he gets a fair chance to compete....If we draft a guy and tell him hey your the 5th DE no matter what then yea he is out the door 

I don't think Long is hell bent on anything.  I just don't think he wants to compete for a 4th DE spot?   He repeatedly said about his reliability and performance after getting more snaps.   He would be 100% in already... what is he waiting for?   It's pretty obvious I think ?  He could go pick his own situation and go there from the start ... at his age, I think the last thing is go through the offseason with one team and then move on after "not winning the competition or splitting even more snaps"  He could play great, but if the young DE shows anything, we aren't going to sit the young DE completely.     Gotta look at things from life perspective here... he would want to move on to a new team ASAP to get acclimated... not a move in August/September after putting in work here all spring and part of the summer.  

He talks about how he’s the best corner in the nation...and it isn’t even close. Played at Georgia. You know that comes with a pretty elite schedule. He guarded the number one guy. And according to him he only gave up one TD his whole college career. A 4.52 forty wouldn’t scare me away from him at all. 5’ 11” with 32” arms. He’s Baker Island! The shutdown zone.

Glad we are picking up "depth" players.Early last year that hurt us alot,not having guys ready to step in.They had to learn on the job and improved,but these small signings could be BIG if that happens again(knock on veneer).Still need a vet RB IMO,the NAIL this draft with young talent and we should be in good shape

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This is list of fast guys. But half of them can’t play. Two are first rounders. Most are projects and will be drafted just because they have speed. And half are defensive backs so a CB won’t have to cover that. But the all around game with the 4.37 forty is probably what makes Greedy the top overall cornerback. Isabella and Hardman are decent day three projects.

OH they cant play,thats why the are in the draft,ok got it.Some are PROJECTS.Most teams have those as future players.Thats WHY you have a STAFF no???? Sorry like in basketball you can't teach someone to be tall,and in football you can't teach someone how to go from a 5.0 40 to a 4.3,but you take them and see what you can mold,You expect every guy to start out of the box?? HAHA Even some round 1's fail.You're looking at round 1 guy's.I am, looking at players that will contribute 2 years from now,and once again in my view,although there are other factors(that you can TEACH) If a Db can't keep up with a 4.4 WR,then I will pass

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Glad we are picking up "depth" players.Early last year that hurt us alot,not having guys ready to step in.They had to learn on the job and improved,but these small signings could be BIG if that happens again(knock on veneer).Still need a vet RB IMO,the NAIL this draft with young talent and we should be in good shape

Did you see this today yet? Just came out this morning. I would imagine that you & everyone else has already seen it!

NFL Mock Draft 2019: Eagles-Only 7-Round Version 5.0

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/eagles/NFL_mock_draft_2019__Eagles-only_seven-round_version_5_0_nbsp__PHI-507460512.html

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

IDK we have Barnett who looked pretty promising.Still say we take a DE LATE(my guess round 6) as a WIP.If he pans out GREAT,if not a 6th is not gonna break the bank.Still have it as DT,OT/G,LB,RB,WR,DE and last pick at S 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s hard to not take your top guy if it’s really high on the board. Like at 25 I’m figuring we could be looking at a player ranked 15 on the Big Board. You take that guy. Later in the draft I’m more fine with choosing ...83 or 87? I consider position.

a move up 10 in round 1 would take alot.We already did that for Wentz(understandable),but thats the KEY position.This year with limited cap,I dont want to sell the farm to buy a barn.i want many players,either as BU's WIP's or maybe a starter or 2,but I'm not selling out this year or next for one guy.If we need to move 1-3,ok but 10 is too costly IMO