DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Right... looks goood when you actually see it.  Pick #97.    That was my barometer for any trades ...etc.    Knowing with a release that we had all that cap space from the beginning and pck #97 pretty much in the bag (barring lack of playing time)   ... all that franchise tage/trade stuff talk ... it was obvious a trade had to be already worked out for the tag to happen... and other than Jax, nothing made sense.   

If he falls into the UDFA zone,or possibly as our last pick,I could see Stick(QB) here,since he and Wentz already have been together in N Dakota.I'm sure Wentz would pull for him lol.Some feel he has potential,so someone else may grab him,but who knows?

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah.I know the FO knows what they are doing,just from a fan standpoint I would like to see him in a "critical" moment.I suppose we snag a UDFA QB as a camp arm,if in fact,we are happy with Suds as our #2.Hopefully that will be someone we can keep on as our #3 

Right... critical ... not garbage time.    The only way you get what you want .. lets throw him in during a close game.  And do you really want to do that, take Wentz out, just to get him in a close game?   It is waht it is with a backup QB ... only one good reason to put him into a situation that matters ... and we don't need to see that 3 years in a row.  

If he falls into the UDFA zone,or possibly as our last pick,I could see Stick(QB) here,since he and Wentz already have been together in N Dakota.I'm sure Wentz would pull for him lol.Some feel he has potential,so someone else may grab him,but who knows?

I gotta be honest... the 3rd QB spot is the last spot on my mind right now.  So many other things paramount for this team at the moment.With the draft coming up, and 3 good draft positions at the moment... opportunity to help buid the core going forward.    

Actually still need to make a little more cap room if.....we want to resign our franchise QB. That’s a difficult situation to pull off. Probably have our best leverage at this moment. It would be hard for Wentz to take the criticisms that come out if the fans hear he turned down some crazy large number. Now is the time for him to show his love to this organization. Going to get nothing but harder after this season.

22 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I gotta be honest... the 3rd QB spot is the last spot on my mind right now.  So many other things paramount for this team at the moment.With the draft coming up, and 3 good draft positions at the moment... opportunity to help buid the core going forward.    

Have to agree with you here. I’m really focused on getting three studs out of this strong draft. They can go after whatever on day three.

44 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Oh no not important,just mentioned we may fill a camp body spot-no biggie

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Have to agree with you here. I’m really focused on getting three studs out of this strong draft. They can go after whatever on day three.

Yeah, we have the picks to get some solid LONG termers in here.Next  year setting up nicely also.Howie RULES. Also gonna be fun to watch Foles.We will see if he is a solid QB ALL season,not that I care right now,but will be of interest to me

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right... critical ... not garbage time.    The only way you get what you want .. lets throw him in during a close game.  And do you really want to do that, take Wentz out, just to get him in a close game?   It is waht it is with a backup QB ... only one good reason to put him into a situation that matters ... and we don't need to see that 3 years in a row.  

In my view(just mine) it COULD be garbage time.Still I want to see him in critical situations,not necessarily with the game on the line.But like a 10 min 4th qtr stint where I can see how he handles say 3rd and 5's,and can he lead us into the EZ.Small steps,but ones I would like to see

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Actually still need to make a little more cap room if.....we want to resign our franchise QB. That’s a difficult situation to pull off. Probably have our best leverage at this moment. It would be hard for Wentz to take the criticisms that come out if the fans hear he turned down some crazy large number. Now is the time for him to show his love to this organization. Going to get nothing but harder after this season.

Ham,  I don't think it will be an issue when you look at the #s.  1.  If Wentz agrees to anything this year ... only thing that will be added to the cap hit is the prorated signing bonus.  Say its $50 mil... then that would be addtional $10 mil hit, but Howie could even probably work it somehow where the 2019 salary goes down from where its at to the minimum and bring the cap hit down more.   If we don't sign him until the #s count towards 2020.. then we will have carry over $$$.   Barring a big FA signing ... or a trade for a big contract that Howie doesn't extend... I can't see us using a lot of cap space this year.  

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham,  I don't think it will be an issue when you look at the #s.  1.  If Wentz agrees to anything this year ... only thing that will be added to the cap hit is the prorated signing bonus.  Say its $50 mil... then that would be addtional $10 mil hit, but Howie could even probably work it somehow where the 2019 salary goes down from where its at to the minimum and bring the cap hit down more.   If we don't sign him until the #s count towards 2020.. then we will have carry over $$$.   Barring a big FA signing ... or a trade for a big contract that Howie doesn't extend... I can't see us using a lot of cap space this year.  

IDK how the cap will work out next year.Suffice to say I like we have a decent amount of picks this year.Good DL line class-RB's not so much,but if we snag top producers this year and next at the right spots,we can contend for years to come.Like to save a little bit so to have a bigger cushion next year(hoping to draft at 32 again!! HAHA) 

In my view(just mine) it COULD be garbage time.Still I want to see him in critical situations,not necessarily with the game on the line.But like a 10 min 4th qtr stint where I can see how he handles say 3rd and 5's,and can he lead us into the EZ.Small steps,but ones I would like to see

I can tell you what he'll do if he is in a game with 10 minutes left..  Unless Wentz is injured... the Eagles will be up by 4 TDs.   So Suds will hand off on 3rd and 5.   Pretty much what I'm saying is that he wont be in a real situation until he is in a real situation... with an injury to Wentz.  That's just how it is with a back up QB.  

Better watch preseason football if you want to get that type of feeling for Suds only time we will see those situations for Suds without injury to Wentz

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I can tell you what he'll do if he is in a game with 10 minutes left..  Unless Wentz is injured... the Eagles will be up by 4 TDs.   So Suds will hand off on 3rd and 5.   Pretty much what I'm saying is that he wont be in a real situation until he is in a real situation... with an injury to Wentz.  That's just how it is with a back up QB.  

I know but I have a hard time understanding that.If you are up that big,turn your guy loose and lets see what we really have as far as game managing and potentiality.Hell,I'll play BU for 1/4 the salary.even at my age i can hand the ball off lol.Shame they don;t give these guys an op to play UNTIL,it is forced on them 

19 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Better watch preseason football if you want to get that type of feeling for Suds only time we will see those situations for Suds without injury to Wentz

Sad,but true.We may not ever be in that situation(although vs the Aints last year I was hoping to see him since we were being blown out) See to me thats the perfect time to turn your #2 loose and save your starter.More to evaluate when it's against a teams better players,not just guys vying for a roster spot,but yeah you're correct.I learn little from QB's in pre.I watch lineman and RB''s

22 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I know but I have a hard time understanding that.If you are up that big,turn your guy loose and lets see what we really have as far as game managing and potentiality.Hell,I'll play BU for 1/4 the salary.even at my age i can hand the ball off lol.Shame they don;t give these guys an op to play UNTIL,it is forced on them 

OK... you are coach.   You are up 28 with ten minutes left.   What are your play calls?    You want to get the clock down to zere with the least amount of snaps possible.  Less chance of injury... and most likely the other ten guys on the field will be mostly backups ... the opponent might have backups in too.  Its not real at that time.    Its not real until it is real.     It was fairly real last year when he went in vs Washington.   

We obviously will need to bring in two more arms to throw all those preseason practice throws. I wouldn’t expose Wentz much at all in the preseason either. So it should be Suds show with the starters.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We obviously will need to bring in two more arms to throw all those preseason practice throws. I wouldn’t expose Wentz much at all in the preseason either. So it should be Suds show with the starters.

Wentz will probably get a series in game 2 ... maybe one series in game 1.  Probably a couple series in game 3 ... Suds should get decent action game 3.   More than Wentz in games 1 and 2 ... and probably neither play a snap in game 4.    I'm with you, I'm not exposing Wentz much at all.  Really, he hasn't played much in preseason any of his time so far, the practices are what matters.  

Just noticed... CBA expires after 2020.    Makes 2021 salary cap a little unknown.  As of now... Eagles are showing $30 mil for 2020.  Without any carry forward ... but without the draft picks counting either year.   Probably $13 mil total.  But it offsets a little with roster spots of the guys they will cut.    The core guys at the top, should all be back.  I would assume Wentz gets nice signing bonus ... keeping the cap hit fairly low.   2021 ... things will open up again a lot, but they key is replacing the players.   Jenkins, Brooks, Bradham, Kelce, Graham ... all 2 years older, might not be on the roster due to decline.  That's where these next two drafts come in.... not so much for cap space, but to establish a new core.   You would naturally prefer to establish that with your draft picks and just fill in with a few FAs.  

Forget cap space and $$$... these next two drafts need to be good simply for roster turnover due to age.  

20 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Gibson is that bad. What has he done? I’ll wait for the answer. I can’t even picture him making the team.

LOL  Ham who is worse, Gibson or the talent evaluator on the Eagles who picked him in the draft?

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Remember the 49ers got ... Rinaldo Skeets Niamiah   ... the track star from the 80s  (Im sure I'm spelling it wrong.. but I believe he was the gold medal winner for something)   didn't really work out.... straight line speed is not what the sport is about, how can you cut, how can you anticipate your next move etc.    You can train Usain all you want... bump him at the line then what do you got?   He's going to need to run more than just straight.    I had this discussion with Woody all the time.... size and speed don't replace skill set.   A heavier guy doesn't always win the battle.... the faster straight runner doesn't always win the battle.  

Bump him at the line then what do you got? LOL  DeSean Jackson LOL 

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

Bump him at the line then what do you got? LOL  DeSean Jackson LOL 

Not really... lol.   DeSean is a football player who is fast ... not a track star attempting to play football.   

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Forget cap space and $$$... these next two drafts need to be good simply for roster turnover due to age.  

Agreed! I never see anyone discussing our talent evaluators though and what positions they are best at drafting. I personally believe they should stay away from drafting wide receivers because it is not their strong suit. What positions do you trust our scouts to pick! Has anyone read that the Eagles have added any knew talent scouts recently and how long do you give talent scouts to come up with some could picks before you replace them? 

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Agreed! I never see anyone discussing our talent evaluators though and what positions they are best at drafting. I personally believe they should stay away from drafting wide receivers because it is not their strong suit. What positions do you trust our scouts to pick! Has anyone read that the Eagles have added any knew talent scouts recently and how long do you give talent scouts to come up with some could picks before you replace them? 

IDK if I follow any of that.   Not sure which scouts are in place now and who is making final decisions when Agholor or JMatt were drafted... everyone else afterthat doesn't matter to me. I can't complain if a 5th round WR doesn't pan out.   I think some picks are hits and others are misses.  At this point, I can't say we are good at one position and not good at another.  There is a lot to consider for a player to develop IMO.  Other than a true physical stud that is first round and pretty much at worst going to be a decent NFL player ... its hard for me to judge and complain about one person's fault.  How the player handles being an adult and having $$, how he comes in ready to work, how he fits in the system, how his position coach teaches him, opportunity to play right away.   All matter.  Too many circumstances for me to say how I feel about our scouts and WR.   Especially since we haven't taken one of significance since 2015.