DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

50 minutes ago, trini said:

Outside of 1Brady, 2 Breese,  3 Wilson. 4 Big Ben. 5 Wentz. I don’t see Rogers as a top 5 QB anymore he needs to show something this year, as one of the game’s highest paid player " Blasphemy " hehehe. One could say Rodgers had a bad coach he won a SB with?  not enough talent around him for a player that arguably was touted as a GOAT...when was the last time Rodgers was relevant?

A broken Rodgers last year with a circus stuff that was going on in that organization Rodgers posted just under 4500 yards to go with 25 tds and only 2 ints.....Rodgers masked a ton of flaws on GB for years and think it really shows when he is hurt....A 100% Rodgers always takes GB to the playoffs and I would say they overall have one of the worst roster without Rodgers

GB and Seattle.... the QBs make the difference for sure!  

2 hours ago, trini said:

Outside of 1Brady, 2 Breese,  3 Wilson. 4 Big Ben. 5 Wentz. I don’t see Rogers as a top 5 QB anymore he needs to show something this year, as one of the game’s highest paid player " Blasphemy " hehehe. One could say Rodgers had a bad coach he won a SB with?  not enough talent around him for a player that arguably was touted as a GOAT...when was the last time Rodgers was relevant?

They lost his targets.Dont care how good you are if you have no targets and no O line lol Quick release means ZIP if you are on the ground in 1.5 secs lol

So... interesting stuff here ...  not draft related (sorry to disappoint some)  however I believe a big factor as to a contract extension for Wentz

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

Scroll down to the "30% Rule"  

A player's salary cannot increase more than 30% each year past the league year.     The last league year is 2020.   So it makes it more reasonable to extend Wentz this year, rather than next year.    Here is why.

If we extend Wentz in 2020 ... with a big signing bonus and minimum salary ... then he can't get a pay increase of more than 30% each year after that.   So lets say $60 mil signing bonus with $1 mil salary in 2020.    That means he can't have a salary of more than $1.3 mil in 2021 .... $1.7 mil in 2022 .... $2.2 mil in 2023 ...  $2.8 mil in 2024.   

You tell me... even with a $60 mil signing bonus ... would you take a 5 year $69 mil deal if you were Wentz?    

Now if a deal is done this offseason... you get the big signing bonus and minimum salary out of the way ... then you can give a decent salary in 2020 ... which then you can increase by 30% evefy year afterwards.  

So say same $60 mil signing bonus ... but 2020 salary is $13 mil ... 2021 is $17 mil ... 2022 is $22 mil .... 2023 salary is 28 mil.      That's 5 years $140 mil.   much more realistic. 

Not sure if there are ways around it with roster bonuses etc.   But interesting.   

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

So... interesting stuff here ...  not draft related (sorry to disappoint some)  however I believe a big factor as to a contract extension for Wentz

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

Scroll down to the "30% Rule"  

A player's salary cannot increase more than 30% each year past the league year.     The last league year is 2020.   So it makes it more reasonable to extend Wentz this year, rather than next year.    Here is why.

If we extend Wentz in 2020 ... with a big signing bonus and minimum salary ... then he can't get a pay increase of more than 30% each year after that.   So lets say $60 mil signing bonus with $1 mil salary in 2020.    That means he can't have a salary of more than $1.3 mil in 2021 .... $1.7 mil in 2022 .... $2.2 mil in 2023 ...  $2.8 mil in 2024.   

You tell me... even with a $60 mil signing bonus ... would you take a 5 year $69 mil deal if you were Wentz?    

Now if a deal is done this offseason... you get the big signing bonus and minimum salary out of the way ... then you can give a decent salary in 2020 ... which then you can increase by 30% evefy year afterwards.  

So say same $60 mil signing bonus ... but 2020 salary is $13 mil ... 2021 is $17 mil ... 2022 is $22 mil .... 2023 salary is 28 mil.      That's 5 years $140 mil.   much more realistic. 

Not sure if there are ways around it with roster bonuses etc.   But interesting.   

Under the current CBA.

who knows how much the new CBA will change things

Looking at the Cb battles for this team and should be good if we truly have them compete for starting jobs

Darby-Likely only locked in starter

Mills/Douglas/Jones- feel these 3 should be competing for the opposite spot next to Darby and personally I say Douglas should be the front runner

Maddox/LeBlanc/Jones- this one is tough to predict not sure what the plan is for Maddox do we want him at S or CB or just float him around for whatever is needed at the time???? LeBlanc played extremely well ending of the year and should be his job to lose in my view....

On 4/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, trini said:

25... Dexter Lawrence.... Jeffery Simmons... If there has been a run on DT...Jeffery Simmons May not last to second...

53... Jerry Tillery....Chris Lindstrom or Bradbury.

57...Darnell Henderson RB

127... Hakeem Butler WR Iowa

138... Darnell Savage. S... Maryland.

163...Anthony Bradford OT LSU ... probably play guard in NFL

197...Tre Watson.... IMLB...Maryland... he might be gone 

1st Complete mock😩don’t kill me too badly...hehehe.

Playing catch up a little here but: you are killing me with Simmons at 25. Just couldn’t be happy with a guy being injured and missing that year one experience. I think we all just have witnessed the pain of even taking a guy like that in round two just did for us( talent wise said about Jones). And I hope Jones finally comes on this year. But at 53 and 57 I’m still have a hard swallowing him as the pick. Tillery had surgery also. His situation not as bad if he cleared medical( that’s the rumor anyway). He has to answer the character questions. And that’s two DT in a row. So we’ll bypass that to elite Olineman. Lindstrom and Bradbury...that’s cream of the crop G and C. Butler is going in the second by my estimation. It just doesn’t seem likely they value a RB enough to go in those first three picks. I’m into drafting a S. Did I shred up your mock enough trini? Hahaha 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, BleedingGreen93 said:

So I am going to play around with a Mock draft.

1st- Ford,Lindstrom,Bradbury- We look to bolster the OL in the 1st round I don't know much about the OL in this draft so I just listed couple of the top names I have heard(if you like someone different plug them in instead) might not be the starter the whole season but the guy we draft likely is a day 1 starter filling in for Brooks who should miss time early in the season.

2nd- Jeffery Simmons DT Miss. St.- This guy is tough to project many see him as a top 10 talent if he was healthy. I am perfectly fine swapping Simmons and the OL in the 1st round if need be but for now I say Simmons falls into the 2nd round because of the injury and we get a complete steal at DT even if he doesn't help much(or at all) year 1.

2nd- Darnell Savage S Maryland- I love Savage has been climbing up boards recently and looking like he will end up a day 2 pick. I think he can instantly come in and compete for the 3rd S spot and might need some fine tuning but should be able to take over as a future starter for whoever leaves first McLeod or Jenkins.

4th-Blake Cashman LB Minnesota- He has all the tools needed to become a 3 down LB he needs some discipline help in coverage but the athletic ability is there. With Vets like Bradham and Fort here 

4th- Will Grier QB WVU- This pick will be absolutely hated and I know it already but both the coach and the owner have come out talking about wanting to get back to drafting QBs and building a pipeline at the position. Honestly I hope I am wrong but have to go by what is being said. Grier is a highly productive QB coming from a school that we love to draft players from and in the 4th round he would be a good talent/value

5th-Trysten Hill DT UCF- has some concerns about him has been in some trouble with his coaches because of how opinionated he can be but at the same time has a ton of talent. With Simmons not likely to play year 1 we add a guy that can compete for the 3 DT role with Hector and Hester 

6th- Trade pick for Duke Johnson- I am a form believer that Duke will be dealt if not during the draft likely after but for the sake of this draft we use our final pick in the 6th round to trade for Duke Johnson.

Elite Oline with first seems very possible. Have to consider any of those I would think. I’m have to give you the same as trini that even day two I’m just not sure about Simmons like that. Before injury he probably would have been heavy in the 25th pick conversation. Is a guy ready to practice and start right away a little better than a slightly more talented player missing the year of Pro experience? A safety in the second I could go for. I’m partial to Gardner-Johnson and Thornhill. Will Grier I would just plain veto. Just not seeing anything more than practice squad level for him. I know he was highly touted at a young age but I just never saw it materialize. Trystan Hill I’m not really familiar with. I did catch UCF a few times but wasn’t watching him or anything. Be interesting to add Duke for a sixth. I absolutely believe Sproles is going to play one more season. Would that change your thinking on trading for him? We have Clement, Smallwood, Adams and Boston battling for roster spots behind Howard and Sproles.

15 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I would take Wilson over Big Ben....River and Wilson about the same and no way I take Goff ahead of him....But all opinion I see Wilson as top 5 

Brady, Brees, Rodgers. I would say maybe Goff could compare to Rivers. I’ve enjoyed watching Rivers but he just never came up enough in the big games. Wilson deserves four. But the three ahead of him are at the end of their careers. Mahomes probably took the lead on the next spot. But I believe Wentz is in the competition heavy. Clearly I’m biased. Big Ben comes in after I think. Easy HOF at the end of his career. So I could understand most top five argument for him. Deshaun Watson is about to explode. They figured out a few things to adapt to him. And he needs some kind of Oline. But if he gets some help...

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

Under the current CBA.

who knows how much the new CBA will change things

Doesn't matter.   The current CBA will be in effect this year and next year.   Can't give Wentz a contract past 2020 with more than a 30% raise going into every year past that.   The point is to expect the extension this year.   

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Looking at the Cb battles for this team and should be good if we truly have them compete for starting jobs

Mills/Douglas/Jones- feel these 3 should be competing for the opposite spot next to Darby and personally I say Douglas should be the front runner

Maddox/LeBlanc/Jones- this one is tough to predict not sure what the plan is for Maddox do we want him at S or CB or just float him around for whatever is needed at the time???? LeBlanc played extremely well ending of the year and should be his job to lose in my view....

I’m not thinking Darby can start the season. And I doubt they rush him. And he plays the same spot as Douglas. So I’m thinking Douglas gets the start. That leaves Mills and Jones battling for the other side. Mills is the starter. Can Jones beat him out? I agree about LeBlanc. He had a light bulb moment and just got it last season. Maddox is the wild card. His height hurts him. You can just throw it up high on him. But he’s quick with good fluid hips and breaks on things quickly. You could make case for starting FS, Nickel or outside CB. 

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

As Ron Jaworski said years ago ... "The QB position is the most dependent position in all of sports ... you depend on your coach, play caller, OL, and the WRs.  The Steelers OL, WRs and RB ... don't sell them short.  They have had talent on the O for a long time now.  To me, if you watch the games (which I do with the wife being a Stillers fan) the QB play has not been that great as far as looking at effects on wins and losses.   

Seattle without Wilson... would be pushing Clevelands record between 2016-2017.    If you look at stats, Ben looks great... Wilson ... he's ok.  Wins and losses.... Wilson is way more impactful.  I don't even think its close.  

I mean WR completely depends on all these things plus the QB

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I mean WR completely depends on all these things plus the QB

Yep.. except they get nothing until they get open themselves first.   QB doesn't really do anything to give himself time initially.  

45 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Elite Oline with first seems very possible. Have to consider any of those I would think. I’m have to give you the same as trini that even day two I’m just not sure about Simmons like that. Before injury he probably would have been heavy in the 25th pick conversation. Is a guy ready to practice and start right away a little better than a slightly more talented player missing the year of Pro experience? A safety in the second I could go for. I’m partial to Gardner-Johnson and Thornhill. Will Grier I would just plain veto. Just not seeing anything more than practice squad level for him. I know he was highly touted at a young age but I just never saw it materialize. Trystan Hill I’m not really familiar with. I did catch UCF a few times but wasn’t watching him or anything. Be interesting to add Duke for a sixth. I absolutely believe Sproles is going to play one more season. Would that change your thinking on trading for him? We have Clement, Smallwood, Adams and Boston battling for roster spots behind Howard and Sproles.

Honestly I’m fine with no Grier or no QB but like I said think we draft a QB just honestly threw a name out there....As for Simmons if he was healthy we have no chance at him wouldn’t be in the conversation for 25th pick because he would be gone in the top 10....There is a reason he is still being talked about as a first round pick even with the injury so yes think he is completely worth a 2nd rounder if still available.....As for S matter of opinion I like Savage if we opt for someone else fine with it as well....As for Duke Johnson I would take him over Sproles at this stage in there careers if we can’t get Duke I’m fine going back to Sproles as a fall back option 

27 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not thinking Darby can start the season. And I doubt they rush him. And he plays the same spot as Douglas. So I’m thinking Douglas gets the start. That leaves Mills and Jones battling for the other side. Mills is the starter. Can Jones beat him out? I agree about LeBlanc. He had a light bulb moment and just got it last season. Maddox is the wild card. His height hurts him. You can just throw it up high on him. But he’s quick with good fluid hips and breaks on things quickly. You could make case for starting FS, Nickel or outside CB. 

As for Darby even if he doesn’t start the year at CB day 1 still think he is a lock for starting job when healthy....Question for me who is next to him when that happens....Not worries about sides Douglas has played both when asked 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Playing catch up a little here but: you are killing me with Simmons at 25. Just couldn’t be happy with a guy being injured and missing that year one experience. I think we all just have witnessed the pain of even taking a guy like that in round two just did for us( talent wise said about Jones). And I hope Jones finally comes on this year. But at 53 and 57 I’m still have a hard swallowing him as the pick. Tillery had surgery also. His situation not as bad if he cleared medical( that’s the rumor anyway). He has to answer the character questions. And that’s two DT in a row. So we’ll bypass that to elite Olineman. Lindstrom and Bradbury...that’s cream of the crop G and C. Butler is going in the second by my estimation. It just doesn’t seem likely they value a RB enough to go in those first three picks. I’m into drafting a S. Did I shred up your mock enough trini? Hahaha 

Jones player extremely well when he was healthy sure not exactly sure how missing a year hindered him....The issue with jones is the nagging injuries not that rookie year he missed 

6 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

As for Darby even if he doesn’t start the year at CB day 1 still think he is a lock for starting job when healthy....Question for me who is next to him when that happens....Not worries about sides Douglas has played both when asked 

"Lock” is a little tough. Because if he isn’t starting week one then someone is getting an opportunity to earn the starting gig. If the corners are playing well it’s gets harder each week to consider just cold benching them for Darby. I mostly agree with you. Probably when Darby is healthy he takes over but starting jobs have been lost all the time to injury and the backup getting hot and earning the start. Somehow I still feel Darby has the highest ceiling of all the CBs. Kind of hoping we have a good open competition across the board and see who steps up this season.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

"Lock” is a little tough. Because if he isn’t starting week one then someone is getting an opportunity to earn the starting gig. If the corners are playing well it’s gets harder each week to consider just cold benching them for Darby. I mostly agree with you. Probably when Darby is healthy he takes over but starting jobs have been lost all the time to injury and the backup getting hot and earning the start. Somehow I still feel Darby has the highest ceiling of all the CBs. Kind of hoping we have a good open competition across the board and see who steps up this season.

We paid Darby trust me he is going to play and start we are not paying him what 8-9m tomride the bench plus good chance the man is ready will be what 10-11 months from his ACL injury 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I really like Douglas competitiveness, his length, he is a playmaker, even with his speed limitations. I don’t have a CB mocked to my Birds this year but the BPA formula is always in play.... I get my Birds put a priority on the Lines... Odell is in the AFC...but Cooper and that GB receiver is at The Cowbi#&hes. We need a difference maker at DB. Maddox got the speed, and quite frankly impressed me last year. HELL what can I say about LeBlanc...he deserves the chance after his production last year... good problem to have.

7 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Jones player extremely well when he was healthy sure not exactly sure how missing a year hindered him....The issue with jones is the nagging injuries not that rookie year he missed 

Just can’t agree. Just haven’t been impressed with anything he’s done in the pros so far. LeBlanc played the position at a higher level than anything I’ve seen from Jones so far.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Just can’t agree. Just haven’t been impressed with anything he’s done in the pros so far. LeBlanc played the position at a higher level than anything I’ve seen from Jones so far.

Pretty sure PFF had him rated as one of the better slot CBs to start the year when healthy the issue is he isn’t staying healthy 

17 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

This is a big year for Jones to show he can stay healthy, we believe in him... I am a sucker for the underdog Douglas is my guy, BUT what about Jalen Mills....soooo outclassed by soooo many. YET seems to get it done when it matters....good problem to have.

20 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Honestly I’m fine with no Grier or no QB but like I said think we draft a QB just honestly threw a name out there....As for Simmons if he was healthy we have no chance at him wouldn’t be in the conversation for 25th pick because he would be gone in the top 10....There is a reason he is still being talked about as a first round pick even with the injury so yes think he is completely worth a 2nd rounder if still available.....As for S matter of opinion I like Savage if we opt for someone else fine with it as well....As for Duke Johnson I would take him over Sproles at this stage in there careers if we can’t get Duke I’m fine going back to Sproles as a fall back option 

Simmons is a Fletcher Cox clone think we like that connection... I think we trust that connection, that is my biggest reason that if he is available at 25 , we pull the trigger because of the success we’ve had with Fletcher..aside from the fact that a healthy Simmons is the real deal.

12 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

We paid Darby trust me he is going to play and start we are not paying him what 8-9m tomride the bench plus good chance the man is ready will be what 10-11 months from his ACL injury 

Just feels like rushing a guy with a injury history. I don’t think they will. The goal is for him to be good down the stretch. CBs seem like the highest injury prone guys. So yeah I could see them paying him that and even putting him on IR to start the season. The whole thing is he had to settle for a cheap prove it contract by most predictions. So if you think high of Darby at what point in the season would you be fine expectation to have him play and pay him that one year salary? Me, I want at least the second half of the season out of him and I’m good with it. Obviously any postseason.

27 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Just feels like rushing a guy with a injury history. I don’t think they will. The goal is for him to be good down the stretch. CBs seem like the highest injury prone guys. So yeah I could see them paying him that and even putting him on IR to start the season. The whole thing is he had to settle for a cheap prove it contract by most predictions. So if you think high of Darby at what point in the season would you be fine expectation to have him play and pay him that one year salary? Me, I want at least the second half of the season out of him and I’m good with it. Obviously any postseason.

I'm not rushing Darby back ... but if he showing signs he is healthy ... and one of the CBs keeps gets burned .... .well... you know the drill.    Big picture though, he needs to be out there finishing the season... getting us the big comp pick in 2021.  He frustrates me with the "business decisions and the drops"  but he runs well... and pretty good in coverage.    The beauty of our CB group is they are young, any one or two or all of them can take big steps forward... you just don't know.   How much better is it than the stiffs we had at the end of the Andy era and the 3 years of Chip.   Guys who were more experienced, so so at best, but knowing they weren't going to get better.... I like the unknown with our young guys.    

is the schedule coming out this week.. usually its this Thursday.