DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

My 2 cents  ...as I start with :thumbsdown: on politics.    (I'll finish with that too)

The NBA rules are that the players must be dressed and in the line for the national anthem.   The NBA fits more of the profile of the appearance of the person who would be kneeling because of the social injustices .... why is it not a story?  How come the NBA commish and the owners are not seen as trying to take away freedoms?

Watching local CSN, Barrett Brooks stated that his first 6 years in the league, the players were in the locker room for the national anthem.  

If you worked at a restaurant and the owner wants you to go sing happy birthday every time there is a customer with a birthday ...and you refuse ... can he fire you.  Can he force you to sing happy birthday?    Are there any guys working at a restaurant with multimillion $ salaries?  

So .... 1.  Can the anthem be played before the players come out.   

2.   At what point does the owner lose the ability to tell the employee what to do, to where its considered a violation of their freedoms?      I mean, any one of us can take something to help us go to the bathroom or increase fertility... but we've seen it result in a PED suspension for players .... is that a violation of freedoms?   Or is it just something you have to follow for the privilege of playing football?   

IDK... to me, I watch on TV, sometimes hear the anthem at the 1pm game on my way home from church.   I would think it would be fine to play the anthem and then have the teams come out of the tunnel?   I think it would be great anticipation.... good ending to the anthem, and them "HERE ARE YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES"  

Either way.... the media is the one making the big deal as usual by feeding the flames and everyone takes the bait.... :thumbsdown: politics .... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: media.

I didn't bring politics into it - trumpy did. This was a protest against inequality, trumpy made it into disrespect for the flag. Trumpy has had it in for the NFL ever since they wouldn't let him into the big boys club, had to go USFL and of course failed, like he has in everything except making money off bankruptcy and the company his daddy left him. Anyone who wants to believe in righteous people like Malcolm Jenkins believe in the equality this country was founded upon, the real stuff worth fighting for. The rest are simply trumplodites, believing in his divisiveness and shiny thing distractions instead of the truth.

The real part that got me was that yet again the NFL owners shot themselves in both feet by not including the players in this decision. The NFLPA was not consulted and there's a new CBA coming up. Being inclusive would have been a nice olive branch to the players, this is not going to be pretty.

53 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I didn't bring politics into it - trumpy did. This was a protest against inequality, trumpy made it into disrespect for the flag. Trumpy has had it in for the NFL ever since they wouldn't let him into the big boys club, had to go USFL and of course failed, like he has in everything except making money off bankruptcy and the company his daddy left him. Anyone who wants to believe in righteous people like Malcolm Jenkins believe in the equality this country was founded upon, the real stuff worth fighting for. The rest are simply trumplodites, believing in his divisiveness and shiny thing distractions instead of the truth.

The real part that got me was that yet again the NFL owners shot themselves in both feet by not including the players in this decision. The NFLPA was not consulted and there's a new CBA coming up. Being inclusive would have been a nice olive branch to the players, this is not going to be pretty.

Boo Polictics on this board!   :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:    

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I'm done - thanks Joemas

:thumbsup: MJK :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Kaepernick did

If you want to spout politics(of course everyone has their opinions) then go to a political website.It's not the place for it on this board and it's sad it keeps cropping up.The NFL does not owe the players the right to discuss it,they are the business,they make the rules and yes Joe if you had to sign a contract to be a restaurant worker and it stipulated you had to sing Happy Birthday and you refused,you could be dismissed,but the multi million prima donnas are given a different set of rules.Anyway I'm done too,but would appreciate all political views be posted elsewhere.I see we signed another LB

Good Morning people! I am still scratching my head on Kendrick's release. Sure it gave them more Cap, but at what cost? I find it hard to believe no one wanted him on the trade market. I mean he is not worth a 5th round pick to someone?   LB seems to be a position the Eagles have not taken too seriously since the 1990's. I blame Reid for that. We have a solid Line and now finally we have fairly solid D-Backs. But Hicks who is always hurt. Bradham is Good, but after that we have nothing but questions..... I can see this as a real issue during the season.

1 hour ago, stine said:

Good Morning people! I am still scratching my head on Kendrick's release. Sure it gave them more Cap, but at what cost? I find it hard to believe no one wanted him on the trade market. I mean he is not worth a 5th round pick to someone?   LB seems to be a position the Eagles have not taken too seriously since the 1990's. I blame Reid for that. We have a solid Line and now finally we have fairly solid D-Backs. But Hicks who is always hurt. Bradham is Good, but after that we have nothing but questions..... I can see this as a real issue during the season.

There's got to be more here than meets the eye. My only guess is they intend to use the 6 mil to work a new contract for Graham

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000934414/article/rams-de-morgan-fox-suffers-torn-acl-in-practice

Most will say "Big Deal". Let me tell you that losing depth on the D-Line is a huge issue. One major reason we did so well late in games, was the rotation of our D-Line.  Rams players like Suh cannot handle more than 70% of the snaps or they are worthless in the 4th quarter....

Stine I actually think the team made LB a priority finally. Bradham was the top priority this offseason. They targeted Nelson with promise of playing time. Even brought in Worrilow tohave that experienced backup. All these moves were made with an understanding that Kendrick’s was history. 

Reading Suh's lost a step as well, moved him inside as he's ineffective vs the run. R.ams are hurting on the outside. Just been keeping an eye on them w/ them being so good

57 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

There's got to be more here than meets the eye. My only guess is they intend to use the 6 mil to work a new contract for Graham

We signed a guy,know nothing about him

Excellent reports on Sidney Jones thus far.Hopefully he can play without injury.If he can, it should help lock down our secondary

2 hours ago, stine said:

I agree 100% with HAM.  This year they finally addressed LB.  Bradham and Nelson, then Worrilow    (Im sure I spelled names wrong)   

Anyway... Kendricks was way overpaid... that's why we couldn't get a 5th round pick for him.   I mean, get even a 7th round pick or get nothing.... don;t you think Howie or anyone else with a functioning brain would take the draft pick?  Obviously Kendricks had no trade value.  He had like a top 10-15 contract for a #3 LB who plays a quarter of the plays barring injury (which you can't just assume from Hicks ... he played 3 years and got hurt twice.... Kelce was the same to start his career)  Kendricks himself was always banged up with a soft muscle injury.   This was a no brainer.  Especially with Nelson coming here for pretty decent money, to pay a backup LB $1.6 mil didn't make sense, especially with the Eagles cap and playing time situation... so its obvious Nelson was brought here to start.   

To me this move was obvious... they did Kendricks a solid so he can get a head start with his new team, and choose where he wants to go.  They could have held out incase of injury to maybe get a late round pick from someone... but they seem to look to take care of the player lately.  

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We signed a guy,know nothing about him

GB, there are a couple guys we don't really know anything about. Asantay Brown and Kyle Wilson. With these two guys that brings the linebacker total to 9 LB's. Of course we know all about Hicks and Bradham but lets take a look at what else we do know. We know that with both Hicks and Bradham back Kendricks would not have been on the field anymore than he was in 2016 which was about 25 percent of the plays. We also know that Kendricks main difficulty was playing pass coverage. He was great in run support. Okay, now lets take a look at the linebackers we have on the team. Joe Walker is sort of a carbon copy of Kendricks. Great in run support but lacking in pass coverage. Nathon Gerry is great in pass coverage but lacking in run support thus far. Possibly because his weight is not yet up to where it should be. Corey Nelson is fast and is a good tackler plus a great special teams player. The only thing that has to be established with him is whether he can make the switch from a 3/4 linebacker to a 4/3 linebacker. I am wondering what kind of defense he played in college with Oklahoma. If it was a 4/3 defense it should speed up the process somewhat. Then you also have Kamu -Grugier Hill in what will be his 4th year in the league. Great special teams player and suppose to be pushing for playing time. If he wasn't a good tackler, he wouldn't be on the field for special teams. Not sure if he needs to play better in pass coverage or not because we haven't seen much of him playing the linebacker position.  It hard to believe that with 9 linebackers currently on the roster that someone won't step up to the plate going forward. I not even worried about it in the least. I'm more into whether someone will step up to the plate to be the third safety. 

The thing is 4-3 or 3-4 everyone plays Nickel and Dime mostly in today’s NFL. It’s the Passing Era of the NFL. You have to be good in coverage. That’s why we targeted Nelson. That’s why we drafted Gerry. If at any time during the season we need a run thumper at LB , older vet LB that have lost a step always seem to be available. Easy fix

LB is pretty interesting ths yr, a lot of teams need them and signing them.

As for the anthem thing as I said before I was accused of being political, a moment of silence after the anthem was my suggestion. Pray, kneel, raise your fist, whatever. My point was when you have a union shop, the union must be included. By law you cannot make these sorts of decisions carte blanche. Just thinking ahead to the new CBA. 8 players protested the last week of the regular season, should have left a dead dog lie.

Anyone other than me think that Nick Foles is going to be the starting QB for the Colts next year? Got that feeling again! LOL

4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Anyone other than me think that Nick Foles is going to be the starting QB for the Colts next year? Got that feeling again! LOL

Nope,Foles seems happy here.Of course the FO COULD trade him,but really we don't know if Wentz can even start the season and the FO seems to like him being here ALOT. Also heaven forbid Wentz goes down again,I am not certain the remaining roster QB's could do the job and so if I have a BU QB that's ok with the money,loves Philly and this team,I CMA and hang onto him.Heck he won a SB,wentz can't even say that yet lol

On 5/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, mjkline1958 said:

LB is pretty interesting ths yr, a lot of teams need them and signing them.

As for the anthem thing as I said before I was accused of being political, a moment of silence after the anthem was my suggestion. Pray, kneel, raise your fist, whatever. My point was when you have a union shop, the union must be included. By law you cannot make these sorts of decisions carte blanche. Just thinking ahead to the new CBA. 8 players protested the last week of the regular season, should have left a dead dog lie.

How was the NBA rule made?   

On 5/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:

Nope,Foles seems happy here.Of course the FO COULD trade him,but really we don't know if Wentz can even start the season and the FO seems to like him being here ALOT. Also heaven forbid Wentz goes down again,I am not certain the remaining roster QB's could do the job and so if I have a BU QB that's ok with the money,loves Philly and this team,I CMA and hang onto him.Heck he won a SB,wentz can't even say that yet lol

I thought you loved Sudfeld? What changed?

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I thought you loved Sudfeld? What changed?

I don't love Suds lol.I was however SHOCKED that Foles turned his game around in the finals/playoffs because he looked awful ending the season and we won some very close games

Also, here’s how the "mutual option” for Foles works: The Eagles can pick up his 2019 salary ($20m). However, he can buy his way to free agency by giving back the $2m signing bonus he just received. Details are via an objective observer who viewed the deal: "Creative. I like it.”

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Also, here’s how the "mutual option” for Foles works: The Eagles can pick up his 2019 salary ($20m). However, he can buy his way to free agency by giving back the $2m signing bonus he just received. Details are via an objective observer who viewed the deal: "Creative. I like it.”

That's a Mike Garafalo tweet