DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

There was only two this year anyway. Both went super high. I kind of thought they would single out somebody that was better than most thought...but we get the undrafted guy from Stanford. Tough to complain but so much because you can only draft what’s available. Hopes ride on Fort.

I REALLY thought we would take Vosean Joseph with that pick(LB Florida) At least IMO he had some potential

I liked Tre Lemar. He injured his pec at the combine. Then ran slow.  I know it sounds weird to blame something other than legs or feet on a slow forty time but...you pump your arms to run. It’s part of it. Whatever. He’s big and young. Would have given us what we didn’t have in that LB room. Thought he covered backs well in college in the pass game. Was a complete stud against the run. Great at taking on Oline and shedding. Figured he’d be good in limited zone coverages which we utilize.

Only one UDFA this year... I do not ever remember that happening... They must feel very confident with the roster

The way this has gone this year, I almost expect a news conference announcing the rookie contracts within the first two weeks and then the long term contract of Wentz in the week following!

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

PSU Philly campus - do they have one there? Do now.

Penn State Ogontz Campus is in Abingdon I believe.   Take Broad street north into the suburbs.  I believe it's getting more and more students each year.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Miller is bad against the run. Not good with his hands. Can’t anchor down. Doesn’t have secondary moves. He can only wide nine set and rush around the outside. It’s like they owed his family a debt by drafting him.

This is great.  Welcome back my man.  All that negativity has got to be built up in there since you've been so positive lately.. let it out!  

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Hope Miller proves you wrong Ham. You wanted an immediate starter in Rd 4? I'm sure our scouts and FO are a lot more knowledgeable about these players than any of us. Wat too early to judge

Give it two years... one of the guys drafted in the 5th round will be a good player...  Ham will say " I called it two years ago that Miller was a bust and we could have drafted whatever the player will be."     Clockwork.   

But it's true though,  numbers are always on the side of the players you didn't draft.  I mean Miller vs anyone from round 5. The odds aren't in his favor

Sanders was a reach ...  all of a sudden because no other RBs were drafted in round 2?    Lol.  Wasn't he supposed to be the second RB taken?  Was Jacobs a reach because no other RBs were taken until pick 53?  Lol.   

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I thought there were LBs that could have started for us in the 4th but who knows what the FO thinks. The LBs really dropped in the draft. I knew it wasn't a strong class but never expected that. 

Miller was the last pick of round 4. So on fairness we have to look at round 5 for our alternatives to drafting him.

I see we got Jamalcolm Liggins. That's the player I found last month by accident and posted, wondering if anyone had heard of him. I realize he's from a small school (Dickinson), but this lad is a competitor. His story is somewhat atypical. If anyone gets bored, check it out. Here's a few portions from the articles.

How’s this for a whirlwind decade: When Jamalcolm Liggins was 11, his mom moved the family from Memphis, Tennessee to Bismarck, North Dakota for a chance at a safer childhood. The 6' 2", 205-pound Liggins was receiving some heavy interest from one NFC West team, so much so that the team sent him their playbook so he could get acclimated to it. A spin through his highlights starts with an Odell Beckham-type one-handed interception and includes a four-interception performance in the NAIA playoffs against Northwestern College. Recent test numbers put him competitively in line with this year’s cornerback class at the combine, though his pro day results could ultimately dictate his trajectory from here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/20/jamalcolm-jay-liggins-dickinson-state-small-school-cornerback-naia-nfl-draft-sleeper?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?

• Strength and conditioning, Practice then film study. I feel strength and conditioning is most important because if you are not as strong or conditioned as you need to be you will spend most of the season getting where you need to be. Then practice because that is where you make the most improvements to your game, the last film because if you’re not where you need to be with your conditioning and strength nor do you put in the work at practice no matter how many films you watch you will not be ready on game day.

What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?

• When I was a junior one of my teammates caught an interception and I put a block on the receiver which broke his face-mask.
  • https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2018/11/jamalcolm-liggins/

11 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

At the point now you really can’t judge a draft until after min. 2-3 years....We can sit here now talking how we love/hate the draft and in a few years time depending how guys perform will completely change our view 

Couldn't agree more BG! IMO it takes that 2-3 yrs when most players make the jump and hone their craft after getting used to the playbook and speed of the game at this level. I can't see why/how on Total Access - or anywhere else - they waste time going over the winners and losers of the draft. Just don't see how they can make a prediction like that right after the picks are made unless they're fubar. I guess it's a money maker and spectacle for some. 

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Alshon,/Hollins out/JJ in the slot.Ertz and Goedert with Howard and Clement from the 20,oh GL covering that HAHA(hey at least I hit on the Howard signing!!!) HAHA

That's a for 13 men on the field. 5 OL, QB + the 7 you have listed there. How much did you have to drink?  LOL

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Give it two years... one of the guys drafted in the 5th round will be a good player...  Ham will say " I called it two years ago that Miller was a bust and we could have drafted whatever the player will be."     Clockwork.   

But it's true though,  numbers are always on the side of the players you didn't draft.  I mean Miller vs anyone from round 5. The odds aren't in his favor

Sanders was a reach ...  all of a sudden because no other RBs were drafted in round 2?    Lol.  Wasn't he supposed to be the second RB taken?  Was Jacobs a reach because no other RBs were taken until pick 53?  Lol.   

I'm gonna start calling you 'Maytag' the agitator lol

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LOL well at least (albeit late) are trying to address the LB and DT depth.I hope a few can reach at least BU status

Added to the UDFA list that MJK and DWD posted. I feel someone else laid out a link there too. If I forgot you (s), sorry. Running on empty. (Yeah I know; Jackson Browne.)

T.J. Edwards, LB, Wisconsin (Source: Wisconsin football

Sua Opeta, OL, Weber State (Source: Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle)  

Casey Tucker, OL, Arizona State (Source: Michelle Gardner, The Arizona Republic)

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-undrafted-rookie-free-agent-tracker-nfl-draft

18 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Added to the UDFA list that MJK and DWD posted. I feel someone else laid out a link there too. If I forgot you (s), sorry. Running on empty. (Yeah I know; Jackson Browne.)

T.J. Edwards, LB, Wisconsin (Source: Wisconsin football

Sua Opeta, OL, Weber State (Source: Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle)  

Casey Tucker, OL, Arizona State (Source: Michelle Gardner, The Arizona Republic)

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-undrafted-rookie-free-agent-tracker-nfl-draft

4 OL, 2 DT, 2 LB, a WR, and a CB in total.

Per pennlive.com:

Anthony Rush, DT, UAB - Over the past two seasons, Rush recorded 20 TFL's and 2 sacks in 25 games for the Blazers. He’s listed at a large 6-foot-5, 350 pounds. Great name for a towering DT.

We had a freebie premium channel week and one of the movies we watched was "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg, the story of Philadelphia Eagles walk on Vince Papale. Really enjoyable and maybe the reason I'm in a more positive frame of mind than some. Tie that in w/ future HOF and UDFA JP, anything can happen!

MJK, is that the first you saw 'Invincible', or was it just a reinforcing positive? I've seen it at least 6 or more times. Never tire of it. Love the part where Papale (Wahlberg) is running route while Ted Nugent's 'Stranglehold' is playing.

I can't find anything that verifies whether or not Vinny Papale got picked up by someone or not. Anyone else hear?

Yep, one of the best stories in Eagle's history. Only player to make team when Vermeil first took over and had open tryouts.

329918398_83VincePapale-1976.jpg.5897c4876d297e0963d6ddecf8a75f13.jpg