DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, stine said:

That would make the Dillard pick much more valuable. If Dillard shows the talent and Peters can play Guard, we would have a solid line for a few more years....

Not so sure about that, but noted my friend....

I like the idea of Dillard not being thrust into a starting role day 1(hell year one) and he is still likely to get some reps as a rookie cuz JP likely misses some time.....If JP decides he wants to return next season then you make the call and say hey we got our LT if you return here are you willing to play G if not then just let him walk.

Also believe if JP misses good extended period of time and Dillard fills in and plays at a high level you don’t go back to JP....Then you consider asking JP to try G 

16 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Lol probably I would guess that not many people predict a person to make the team this late in the draft process. 

Yeah, that's the consensus for some. Not a snowball's chance in heII. LOL, oh well

21 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Omg we actually picked up one of my guys... I even had him mocked to us at one point LB TJ Edwards 

Actually if you scroll back I also DID make the prediction this guy makes the team(in what capacity remians to be seen)

50 minutes ago, stine said:

Plus add into it that the average career of an NFL player is 3-4 years so not allot of openings. You need to take into account some players make it on second attempt the following year...

Yeah I still scream(to deaf ears) to make the roster 56 and up the PS to 12,but they dont care what I think 

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah I still scream(to deaf ears) to make the roster 56 and up the PS to 12,but they dont care what I think 

Talent has risen so drastically since these archaic rules were made.Believe it's time to update them

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

For those a bit lazy(like me) we are ranked 7th

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Actually if you scroll back I also DID make the prediction this guy makes the team(in what capacity remians to be seen)

Sorry bud, I completely forgot that you said about Edwards making the team.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:24 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

I never saw Sanders ranked as the number two RB. Henderson and the other Bama RB were that. And Montgomery.  Usually saw Sanders as fourth or fifth. 

Everything I saw had the Penn State RB ranked 2nd?   Of course, I just looked this week.

Still think we could see us trade for a LB we have some pieces we could move....I mean Mills(unlikely probably but on final year of his deal plus some good young guys behind him), Big V could be a trade option with the addition of Dillard and how we like Mailita....Then of course AG 

I'm in the middle of reading Spud's article "Next step for Eagles: Finding out how roster translates on the playing field" from yesterday afternoon and here he says, "Graham’s presence, now that the draft is complete, is even more vital. He’s a front-line talent who combines with Derek Barnett and Chris Long to make for a strong initial three-man rotation." I can't understand why he would include Long after what I read Saturday. This is what I read on (where I can't remember), but I just found the same wording after a search.

Eagles’ DE Chris Long said on Twitter on Saturday morning that chances are "not good” of him returning to the team next year.

In a response to a tweet to FOX43’s Cale Ahearn, Long said that he’s been told that his role on the team would decrease next season, and told the team to plan on being without him next season. Long goes on to say, "I’m not willing to come back and play 10-15 base plays a game. I’m overqualified and it’s a lot of sacrifice to hear the same people who tell me not to retire ask "where’s chris long, did he retire?” week 3 when I don’t have any opportunities to help the team. This isn’t crazy."

I can't understand why Spuds would be talking about specifics of a starting rotation including Chris Long when it's pretty much up in the air at this point. That's like saying that Sproles will be in the rotation at RB this season, in a way, lol. There's a few more tweets to read on this page along wit the rest of the story if anyone wants to see it.

https://fox43.com/2019/04/27/eagles-de-chris-long-told-role-to-decrease-says-chances-of-return-are-not-good/

On 4/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

It was a pretty obvious draft setup for us this year all along. Three picks in our top 35(if we had gone BPA the whole way). And then day three sleepers. 

So where are you keeping this guy while you do all this coaching and training to get him up to backup status?

He's not allowed to go on the practice squad?   

On 4/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

Nowhere near average. But if we can take him from a one trick pony to a two or three trick pony then maybe you can develop him into a backup. His thing is a speed rush outside pass rushing. Do you really think he comes out and sees the field on a crucial third down only for us? And even his one thing is based on the Olineman setting wrong and screwing up for him to succeed. Which in college happens. In the NFL...

Is he basically Steven Means?   The effort guy that has been missing in practice and on special teams?   

Then I found this from about 35 mins ago.

"As Chris Long sets to depart Eagles, a tribute: Macnow" "With his chances of consistent playing time waning, Chris Long is set to leave Philly."

https://www.metro.us/sports/bet/chris-long-sets-to-depart-eagles-tribute-macnow

On 4/28/2019 at 11:03 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

Let’s place the bets now then. I’ll give you Miller and I get Hall. We’ll let the rest of the Bored vote on who had the better preseason.

I'm out .... you aren't forcing me to watch backups play in August when I could be at the pool or on the beach.    But... from hearing from some of the local guys here on TV ... seems like this guy is exactly the Steven Means type guy... effort.   I don't know what they are thinking... but i'm loving hte anger on here about pick #138.   LOL.   And I just learned we have a guy named Hall at DE.   good stuff.

25 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Still think we could see us trade for a LB we have some pieces we could move....I mean Mills(unlikely probably but on final year of his deal plus some good young guys behind him), Big V could be a trade option with the addition of Dillard and how we like Mailita....Then of course AG 

Think Edwards will be fine,let him learn and grow.he's got the talent.Really sweet UDFA snag IMO

10 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I'm in the middle of reading Spud's article "Next step for Eagles: Finding out how roster translates on the playing field" from yesterday afternoon and here he says, "Graham’s presence, now that the draft is complete, is even more vital. He’s a front-line talent who combines with Derek Barnett and Chris Long to make for a strong initial three-man rotation." I can't understand why he would include Long after what I read Saturday. This is what I read on (where I can't remember), but I just found the same wording after a search.

Eagles’ DE Chris Long said on Twitter on Saturday morning that chances are "not good” of him returning to the team next year.

In a response to a tweet to FOX43’s Cale Ahearn, Long said that he’s been told that his role on the team would decrease next season, and told the team to plan on being without him next season. Long goes on to say, "I’m not willing to come back and play 10-15 base plays a game. I’m overqualified and it’s a lot of sacrifice to hear the same people who tell me not to retire ask "where’s chris long, did he retire?” week 3 when I don’t have any opportunities to help the team. This isn’t crazy."

I can't understand why Spuds would be talking about specifics of a starting rotation including Chris Long when it's pretty much up in the air at this point. That's like saying that Sproles will be in the rotation at RB this season, in a way, lol. There's a few more tweets to read on this page along wit the rest of the story if anyone wants to see it.

https://fox43.com/2019/04/27/eagles-de-chris-long-told-role-to-decrease-says-chances-of-return-are-not-good/

Well if they are decreasing his role and he wants top pay MORE,is this really a surprise?

41 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

DWD's pick,all I did was agree with him about his roster shot

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Think Edwards will be fine,let him learn and grow.he's got the talent.Really sweet UDFA snag IMO

It’s great if Edwards works out but if we can still add more talent to the position I’m doing it....Only proven LB we have is Bradham and he is what 30

9 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

In a response to a tweet to FOX43’s Cale Ahearn, Long said that he’s been told that his role on the team would decrease next season, and told the team to plan on being without him next season.

The story finishes up by saying that the Eagles got DE-Miller in 4th Rd of draft and that now, basically they've found Long's replacement role in the rotation. Sorry, I like the chances of Miller being developed just as much as most any other day 3 picks, but he's NOT gonna replace Long! LMAO

22 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Jason-Peters-Eagles-left-guard-131548221/Amp/

Not linking this article for the fact they are taking will JP play G we have had these talks all the time but right at the very beginning they say JP wants to play until he is 40 anyone see him say that before????? I have not seen him mention wanting to play till he is 40

In todays journalism world... it probably went like this ...." JP wow dude, you are an ageless wonder, what are you going to play until you're 40? "   JP answers... sure.     That gets turned into .... "JP wants to play until he is 40"   LOL 

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
48 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

DWD's pick,all I did was agree with him about his roster shot

Told ya I forgot. HA-HA

20 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

These bottom of the roster guys is what No Mas lives for. Surprised he hasn’t jumped in yet LOL

Whoever provides better special team play ... in this " all in season"   works for me... right!    Let them battle!    

In other relevant news.... Wentz and Mayfield as your best value fantasy QBs this year.   

8 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

It’s great if Edwards works out but if we can still add more talent to the position I’m doing it....Only proven LB we have is Bradham and he is what 30

Didn't we also pick up a "proven" FA LB?????

41 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Everything I saw had the Penn State RB ranked 2nd?   Of course, I just looked this week.

Barkley  2.0 lol

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

8 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Both of you make good points and sense here. If I could add more talent and push the competition even farther I sure would.

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Whoever provides better special team play ... in this " all in season"   works for me... right!    Let them battle!    

In other relevant news.... Wentz and Mayfield as your best value fantasy QBs this year.   

Already there HAHA(maybe Mahomes too)