DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

27 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Time for a brewski tc all

You a guy after my own heart...sounds like a plan.

Love that Sproles guy... However, I wouldn’t want to give up one of our young guys ... Smallwood surprised me with his tough running last year. Adams injury had him less effective late and in the playoffs. Who goes? If Miles turns out to be the star we’ve been waiting on... I say give youth a chance.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I really think Long just wants to retire.   

I don’t at all. He talked about how last season he got better as the season went on. That he got healthy with increased snaps was very effective. He doesn’t have a retire mentality. His whole talking point is about wanting more snaps. He is lucky enough to be in a position where he doesn’t HAVE to play though. He won’t be held hostage. But no way do I just outright release him. Sorry I want to do right by him but I can’t have him going to the Cowboys. Just can’t happen.

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t at all. He talked about how last season he got better as the season went on. That he got healthy with increased snaps. He doesn’t have a retire mentality. His whole talking point is about wanting more snaps. He is lucky enough to be in a position where he doesn’t HAVE to play though. He won’t be held hostage. But no way do I just outright release him. Sorry I want to do right by him but I can’t have him going to the Cowboys. Just can’t happen.

Ham,  I'm going on the reporting ... Roob and a few of the other guys.   They pretty much said Long has other interests.  This water filtration stuff etc.   The fact he loves the team in Philly is the reason his quote .... "they are going to make it hard"  (to retire is what the reporters were saying)  Basically.... "I want to retire but the Eagles are going to make it hard" 

So what do you do.... you keep him for $5.3 mil?   You pay him the roster bonus?     Dude isn't going to be playing for Dallas.   He said, I told them to plan without me.   He wants to retire.   Let him go.     

39 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

How about WR Nelson Agholor for SS Karl Joseph in a trade. Both 25 years old and both are first round draft picks that didn't quite live up to expectations with their present teams.  

Think I would rather just get a draft pick for AG....AG had 2 solid seasons should have some sort of decent market I would think 3rd rounder seems about right I would think...

OK... you don't want to be the bad guy.   You don't want to be the guy that is passing up multimillions to play a sport you love.   You don't want to be the guy passing up that privelege.  You don't want to be the guy who quits on your team.     Yet you don't feel like going through all the time and effort to prepare for the season.      You also want to remind people that you are still good, and didn't overstay your time in the game.

How do you accomplish all this.....   "well, the Eagles don't really need me anymore, they have moved on, so now I can go retire"   But it's not all my fault though... so nobdy can give me crap for it.... now lets go solve the world's problems.    HOLLA.  

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Think I would rather just get a draft pick for AG....AG had 2 solid seasons should have some sort of decent market I would think 3rd rounder seems about right I would think...

You're dreaming on the 3rd rd pick do you really think he is going to be the top WR in FA next year? Or even get a big money contract from someone?Maybe a 4th especially since I expect his numbers to drop this year if everyone stays healthy. Last year in the beginning of the year he was our only WR we could rely on cause he was the only one healthy. Now we have Jeffery and D Jax and not to mention I think Whiteside will take some stats away as well especially in the redzone. 

2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I think the value goes up now due to the pick moving past the 2019 draft.   May also be that a team or two doesn't really like their current situation ... maybe injurý to a WR is a factor?     I wouldn't rush to get rid of him, but if the pick was a 3rd I would take the pick instead of the player.  

Right now, my mindset is getting a top DL in next year's draft.  With the interior OL as the fall back plan.    Gotta plan on picking as low as 32, because it could happen, and because its the goal to pick last.      So I see 32, 64, 96,97  .... if you throw me another pick in that 65-95 range... now I can have some ammo to move up without waiting til the last pick(s) on Friday to draft again.  

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

OK... you don't want to be the bad guy.   You don't want to be the guy that is passing up multimillions to play a sport you love.   You don't want to be the guy passing up that privelege.  You don't want to be the guy who quits on your team.     Yet you don't feel like going through all the time and effort to prepare for the season.      You also want to remind people that you are still good, and didn't overstay your time in the game.

How do you accomplish all this.....   "well, the Eagles don't really need me anymore, they have moved on, so now I can go retire"   But it's not all my fault though... so nobdy can give me crap for it.... now lets go solve the world's problems.    HOLLA.  

This isn’t Chris Long. You are basing things on the wrong sources. Long himself thinks he was balling last season. I tend to agree. And you don’t whine about third down snaps instead of just being a part of the rotation if you really are contemplating retiring. The talk of retirement is just a bargaining chip for him at this point in his career. You just don’t go from I’m playing great right now to I want to hang it up. And Pedey already acknowledged that Long would be exempt from much of the early workouts. Because Long is a guy that works so hard to stay in shape on his own anyway. Just the guy he is. You don’t have to push him. He’s always had that greatness in him. But that works both ways. He doesn’t want to stay and sit on the bench. And his career goals are sack focused clearly.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This isn’t Chris Long. You are basing things on the wrong sources. Long himself thinks he was balling last season. I tend to agree. And you don’t whine about third down snaps instead of just being a part of the rotation if you really are contemplating retiring. The talk of retirement is just a bargaining chip for him at this point in his career. You just don’t go from I’m playing great right now to I want to hang it up. And Pedey already acknowledged that Long would be exempt from much of the early workouts. Because Long is a guy that works so hard to stay in shape on his own anyway. Just the guy he is. You don’t have to push him. He’s always had that greatness in him. But that works both ways. He doesn’t want to stay and sit in the bench. And his career goals are sack focused clearly.

OK... its a bargaining chip ..... for what?   

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This isn’t Chris Long. You are basing things on the wrong sources. Long himself thinks he was balling last season. I tend to agree. And you don’t whine about third down snaps instead of just being a part of the rotation if you really are contemplating retiring. The talk of retirement is just a bargaining chip for him at this point in his career. You just don’t go from I’m playing great right now to I want to hang it up. And Pedey already acknowledged that Long would be exempt from much of the early workouts. Because Long is a guy that works so hard to stay in shape on his own anyway. Just the guy he is. You don’t have to push him. He’s always had that greatness in him. But that works both ways. He doesn’t want to stay and sit in the bench. And his career goals are sack focused clearly.

Long has already said the Eagles have told him his role this year would be diminished and in turn, he told them they should plan as though they're going to be without him.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Long has already said the Eagles have told him his role this year would be diminished and in turn, he told them they should plan as though they're going to be without him.

He wants to play elsewhere that he can be out there on primary pass rushing downs.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

He wants to play elsewhere that he can be out there on primary pass rushing downs.

But maybe he just needs to suck it up buttercup and let things play out. That’s why he needs time to adjust to the situation. But as long as he feels a team out there wants to feature him then he won’t be happy here.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

OK... Foles will have a bidding war .... Bennett doesn't want more money and won't get anything changed with his contract at NE .....and now Long wants to play elsewhere.....  sure .... lets go for the hatrick.   

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

And part of this is he doesn’t want to be perceived as the bad guy. When he mentioned this he was talking about some fans stating he was holding the team hostage by not deciding. This was his easy out with the fans.

Draft grades for us are all over the place this year. Some not happy we didn't address our holes others saying we didn't get any better and others praising our forward thinking on filling our future holes now so they have time to learn behind vets now. 

And part of this is he doesn’t want to be perceived as the bad guy. When he mentioned this he was talking about some fans stating he was holding the team hostage by not deciding. This was his easy out with the fans.

And more importantly ... his teammates.   He doesn't want to appear to be quitting on them.... which he won't if it seems they are ok at the position without him.  

But maybe he just needs to suck it up buttercup and let things play out. That’s why he needs time to adjust to the situation. But as long as he feels a team out there wants to feature him then he won’t be happy here.

Well, he's due a $1 million roster bonus tomorrow, so, we'll see. There's 4 options here

1.) They pay him the $1 million roster bonus due tomorrow and he plays 1 more year.

2.) Both sides agree to push it back to give him a little more time.

3.) The Eagles release him and he plays elsewhere in 2019.

4.) He retires.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

There are fans that will see it like that regardless. Speaking for myself, I won't view him as the bad guy in any of this, likewise for the organization, it's a business and both sides are going to do what they feel is right.

Bennett and along couldn’t be more different in personality. Bennett definitely would have become a nightmare.

Yep... because he wanted more money and/or a guarantee, which he knew he wasn't going to get it here.      

There are fans that will see it like that regardless. Speaking for myself, I won't view him as the bad guy in any of this, likewise for the organization, it's a business and both sides are going to do what they feel is right.

Absolutely..... I wish him well in retirement.    

Well, he's due a $1 million roster bonus tomorrow, so, we'll see. There's 4 options here

1.) They pay him the $1 million roster bonus due tomorrow and he plays 1 more year.

2.) Both sides agree to push it back to give him a little more time.

3.) The Eagles release him and he plays elsewhere in 2019.

4.) He retires.

5 he takes the roster bonus then still retires and we do or don't ask him to pay it back. It has happened before so you have to add it in there.

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

5 he takes the roster bonus then still retires and we do or don't ask him to pay it back. It has happened before so you have to add it in there.

I didn't include it because I'm not sure the Eagles would willingly want to pay him the roster bonus and just let him retire. Sure a million is a drop in the bucket, and Chris is a great guy on and off field, but it's not like he's Foles, or guys that are organizational building blocks.

5 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Draft grades for us are all over the place this year. Some not happy we didn't address our holes others saying we didn't get any better and others praising our forward thinking on filling our future holes now so they have time to learn behind vets now. 

DWD,  the reactions and grades give me more confidence.    I would prefer the lower grade due to "not filling needs" as opposed to "not selecting the best players"     The thing I say about the draft ..... you only can do one thing with each pick.   Can't pick a top OT and get the stud DT with the same pick.... then you can't fill the need at S and LB with one pick.   You gotta choose.   I choose on the side of picking the best player... or highest on MY board.    Because I think 5 years from now he has the best chance of being an Eagle.   The guy we select to fill the need, to me h as a higher chance of failing as an NFL player.

Just now, Don Corleone said:

I didn't include it because I'm not sure the Eagles would willingly want to pay him the roster bonus and just let him retire. Sure a million is a drop in the bucket, and Chris is a great guy on and off field, but it's not like he's Foles, or guys that are organizational building blocks.

I wouldn't include it as a choice because he already told the Eagles to push back the date.   I think if he takes it now, then retires he looks like a jerk.   Unless he immediately donates it to charity.... but even then, he could just ask Lurie to donate without costing us a little cap space.