DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

7 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

5 he takes the roster bonus then still retires and we do or don't ask him to pay it back. It has happened before so you have to add it in there.

Didn't Washington actually have to take a guy to court over a bonus they gave him then he retired but already had spent his entire bonus?

5 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Didn't Washington actually have to take a guy to court over a bonus they gave him then he retired but already had spent his entire bonus?

IDK, but it might have been a "signing" bonus.   The roster bonus pretty much means this year.   So taking it and quitting looks pretty bad.  

BTW.. its $2 million not 1.  

If we can trade Big V and Long retires.... that creates $6 mil of space on the top 51 #.     $33 mil of cap space.  

IDK... like I said, if they can't get a new deal done with Carson this offseason ... I think it may be smart to play out year 5 for the $22-23 mil # and start over in 2021 under the new CBA as far as his next contract.   (due to this 30% rule)   

If we are rolling over an amount that can cover his cap hit, that will be huge.  Might be the back up plan.   

22 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

If we can trade Big V and Long retires.... that creates $6 mil of space on the top 51 #.     $33 mil of cap space.  

IDK... like I said, if they can't get a new deal done with Carson this offseason ... I think it may be smart to play out year 5 for the $22-23 mil # and start over in 2021 under the new CBA as far as his next contract.   (due to this 30% rule)   

If we are rolling over an amount that can cover his cap hit, that will be huge.  Might be the back up plan.   

Big V is like a very likely trade candidate and with team desperate to find even decent OL help he is sure to have some suitors knocking 

This league is strange on how they look at player salaries.  Jordan Matthews just signed a 1 year contract for 3 million with the 49er's and has better life time stats than Nelson Agholor who is being paid 9.3 million . Go figure!

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

"I suspect that both he and Sproles are just playing the cards to be able to minimize the amount of work the have to put in before the season starts" Oh please HAHAHAHA.This is almost TOO funny.These are professional athletes,not some bums off the street. Sproles busted his arse to even make it back AT ALL.And the Eagles had said OUTRIGHT,they plan on reducing Longs role and he feels he should play MORE,thus I hope we can part mutually in a civil way to the benefit of both

He will tell you after May 7th lol

Do you ever do anything without being insulting?

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
This league is strange on how they look at player salaries.  Jordan Matthews just signed a 1 year contract for 3 million with the 49er's and has better life time stats than Nelson Agholor who is being paid 9.3 million . Go figure!

But AG is only making that much because the option we picked up says he gets the avg. of the top 10 highest at his position....if he were to sign an extension his figures would likely be closer to Jmatts..,,Also jmatt is coming off injuries in Buffalo/NE and a limited role last year for us 

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

DWD,  the reactions and grades give me more confidence.    I would prefer the lower grade due to "not filling needs" as opposed to "not selecting the best players"     The thing I say about the draft ..... you only can do one thing with each pick.   Can't pick a top OT and get the stud DT with the same pick.... then you can't fill the need at S and LB with one pick.   You gotta choose.   I choose on the side of picking the best player... or highest on MY board.    Because I think 5 years from now he has the best chance of being an Eagle.   The guy we select to fill the need, to me h as a higher chance of failing as an NFL player.

Dillard fell. That was a BPA decision. The second round picks we drafted by position and not BPA so much. IMO We’ve been searching for a RB since Shady got exiled. Pats snaked us last year on Sony. Really seems like they made the decision not to keep Agholor around long term. DJax is a temporary fix at this point. Those two situations especially dictated a need at WR. The need at WR wasn’t a day one need. But Rosie has stated how he believes WR need to develop for a season or two to truly make their impact. We needed a DE so Miller got the next pick(forced in my opinion). Lurie has a whole discussion about the AR philosophy of drafting a QB this offseason. So that decision seemed very predetermined also.

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Big V is like a very likely trade candidate and with team desperate to find even decent OL help he is sure to have some suitors knocking 

I thought this to be the case also but why then has nobody picked up Wis? Proven starting quality G/C. 

18 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

But AG is only making that much because the option we picked up says he gets the avg. of the top 10 highest at his position....if he were to sign an extension his figures would likely be closer to Jmatts..,,Also jmatt is coming off injuries in Buffalo/NE and a limited role last year for us 

I have to disagree. That’s why we had to face paying him this one year 9 plus million. Based on potential more than production he should have been able to sign close to this even on a long term contract. JMatt is undervalued. But WR are not cheap. 9 mil isn’t blockbuster money remotely at that position.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I have to disagree. That’s why we had to face paying him this one year 9 plus million. Based on potential more than production he should have been able to sign close to this even on a long term contract. JMatt is undervalued. But WR are not cheap. 9 mil isn’t blockbuster money remotely at that position.

I disagree with you I see is picking up the option because we didn’t want to get stuck with AG on a longer term deal....If we declined the option he was going to make more on the open market always happens and he isn’t going to sign a 1 year deal for less....So only options we had were longer term deal for less cap hit or pay him more for 1 year but can walk away next year 

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I thought this to be the case also but why then has nobody picked up Wis? Proven starting quality G/C. 

Have a simple theory on Wis teams are just becoming more wise in terms of the comp pick formula....A team signs Wis and they could cancel out a possible 4th round comp pick or they could wait till after May 7th get decent OL plus keep the pick 

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Have a simple theory on Wis teams are just becoming more wise in terms of the comp pick formula....A team signs Wis and they could cancel out a possible 4th round comp pick or they could wait till after May 7th get decent OL plus keep the pick 

But many teams aren’t on the positive side of the comp situation this year. And Wis could only cancel out a sixth round comp pick. A starting Oline for a sixth round pick loss seems fine by me(if I was a GM). Almost seems like it’s on Wis side. That he is taking his time to find the right fit. Part of that was waiting for the draft to unfold. 

But you could very well be right. If the two or three main team options have comp pick situations he would very negatively effect then yeah...smart to wait.

21 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I disagree with you I see is picking up the option because we didn’t want to get stuck with AG on a longer term deal....If we declined the option he was going to make more on the open market always happens and he isn’t going to sign a 1 year deal for less....So only options we had were longer term deal for less cap hit or pay him more for 1 year but can walk away next year 

I maybe misspoke a tiny bit. On a long term contract I saw Ag getting about 7.5 mil a season based on potential. So the 9 plus is more based on being a one year deal. But far more than the 3 JMatt received.

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

We’re not paying Big V a lot of money...I don’t get the No Love for Big V in Philly, he got us through the SB and won, with so many other OL positions in flux.... Kelce might return...Brooks might not be back till December... I want that veteran experience in this team.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

1st it's god bye Big D Nick, now no more Long Cox - what's this team coming to?

FUNNY....hehehehehe🤣.... I needed that hehehe ahhhhh I still recall that Cox interview hehehaha it was funny then ...thanks bro  ...

I like Chris Long he is still a very effective player for us ... I think he has the perfect platform... a team that trusts and has confidence in his abilities... I thought he liked it here? If he has to go ... so be it, we have to keep fresh blood in the pipeline...Chris knows this....

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But many teams aren’t on the positive side of the comp situation this year. And Wis could only cancel out a sixth round comp pick. A starting Oline for a sixth round pick loss seems fine by me(if I was a GM). Almost seems like it’s on Wis side. That he is taking his time to find the right fit. Part of that was waiting for the draft to unfold. 

But you could very well be right. If the two or three main team options have comp pick situations he would very negatively effect then yeah...smart to wait.

Wis would cancel out the lowest comp. pick a team had so far it was a 6th it’s a 6th if it was a 4th it is a 4th.... similar to our situation if we do not cut Sendjo or Fort by May 7th they will cancel out our likely 2020 4th round comp pick we would get from Hicks 

8 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Wis would cancel out the lowest comp. pick a team had so far it was a 6th it’s a 6th if it was a 4th it is a 4th.... similar to our situation if we do not cut Sendjo or Fort by May 7th they will cancel out our likely 2020 4th round comp pick we would get from Hicks 

Do you think we could do a wink wink deal with Sendejo? Explain the situation to him. Cut him and then resign him.

9 minutes ago, trini said:

We’re not paying Big V a lot of money...I don’t get the No Love for Big V in Philly, he got us through the SB and won, with so many other OL positions in flux.... Kelce might return...Brooks might not be back till December... I want that veteran experience in this team.

FUNNY....hehehehehe🤣.... I needed that hehehe ahhhhh I still recall that Cox interview hehehaha it was funny then ...thanks bro  ...

I like Chris Long he is still a very effective player for us ... I think he has the perfect platform... a team that trusts and has confidence in his abilities... I thought he liked it here? If he has to go ... so be it, we have to keep fresh blood in the pipeline...Chris knows this....

Doesn’t have anything to do with not having love for Big V just looking at it from a strictly business outlook....

1. Big V is on his final year of his contract 

2. Only making 2m so cheap would attract needy teams(plus could likely get an extension done with him at way under market value)

3.He has plenty of starting exp. another reason teams might show interest 

4. Eagles could gain extra 2020 picks or even a player to help another area of the team for a guy that is likely our 4th T 

5. If Mailita can show enough growth could make Big V even more expendable

Eagles don’t have to make any decisions now have time just makes sense that’s big V could be a possible trade candidate similar to AG 

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Do you think we could do a wink wink deal with Sendejo? Explain the situation to him. Cut him and then resign him.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we did something like that we have done it before forget the player but we release him the after the comp. pick date passed we resigned him 

16 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Doesn’t have anything to do with not having love for Big V just looking at it from a strictly business outlook....

1. Big V is on his final year of his contract 

2. Only making 2m so cheap would attract needy teams(plus could likely get an extension done with him at way under market value)

3.He has plenty of starting exp. another reason teams might show interest 

4. Eagles could gain extra 2020 picks or even a player to help another area of the team for a guy that is likely our 4th T 

5. If Mailita can show enough growth could make Big V even more expendable

Eagles don’t have to make any decisions now have time just makes sense that’s big V could be a possible trade candidate similar to AG 

Wouldn’t surprise me if we did something like that we have done it before forget the player but we release him the after the comp. pick date passed we resigned him 

In general seems most Eagle fans see Vaitai as disposable agreed 2,3,4,and especially 5... I want Mailata to succeed... I just think for the price and exactly the reason you stated we keep him he is good enough.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Comp pick deadline for Wiz.

44 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Doesn't have to be cut by May 7... we lost a comp pick when Sturgis got cut from LAC last year... a few games in.  Also, I believe no wink wink can happen... if Sendejo plays enough for us, he counts.  Regardless of what happens,  he was signed in the comp pick period, so the only thing that matters now is his playing time. 

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Doesn't have to be cut by May 7... we lost a comp pick when Sturgis got cut from LAC last year... a few games in.  Also, I believe no wink wink can happen... if Sendejo plays enough for us, he counts.  Regardless of what happens,  he was signed in the comp pick period, so the only thing that matters now is his playing time. 

Could be wrong was going by what a reporter said believe it was Jimmy K. But who knows lol 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

Could be wrong was going by what a reporter said believe it was Jimmy K. But who knows lol 

Yep... Jimmy K was the guy who said Sendejo would count if released and then picked back up... for reason I stated. 

But May 7 cut doesn't matter with him or Fort.  We can cut them any time before the season to get the comp pick back.