DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I was just thinking about our WR/ TE and receiving situation.   Looking at the group as a whole and individually from top to bottom with our guys.

1.  How many teams have a WR you can say is better than Alshon?  ATL, NO, Tampa, Dallas, GB, Minn, Indy, Houston, Cincy, Cleveland, Oak, LAC, KC  .... that's 13 out of 32 ... with Hill in KC and I'm putting Alshon ahead of the trio for the Rams as individuals.    

2.  How many teams can you say have a better #2 or duo than DeSean (with Alshon)  ... Minn, Cleveland  ..... you could argue ATL and KC with Ridley and Watkins as the #2s   and easily the Rams with any two of the 3 that they have.    So lets say its 5

3.  How many can match the top 3 we have with Agholor in the slot?       The Rams ... and maybe ATL with Sanu

4.   With that said, how many have the 4 and 5 that we can possibly have with the two young guys... JJAW and Hollins?     

5.  How many teams can say they have a TE as good as Ertz?    KC and SF ... you can put a few others as being up there as close if you want.

6.  How many teams can say they have a second TE or combo as good as Ertz and Goedert?

SO.....    Is there a team out there with a total package at WR and TE that can argue having top units in both categories?   Rams and Falcons are missing that TE ... Minn is missing the slot WR  ... Cleveland and KC could be there.    

As far as weapons in the passing game goes, I like ours as being as good as anyone else.    Throw in our OL and QB, we could easily have the best passing game.    I think a key will be running the ball effectively enough like a good boxer can use his jab.  If we can do that, sky's the limit on offense.

Defensively, I want one more pass rusher to step up at DE.  If we stay healthy and deep on the DL ... with Bradham and Jenkins staying healthy, I'll take my chances, to me the rest of the pieces are complimentary.  .  

Eagles 2020 draft picks .... at the moment, they have their own 1,2,3,4,5  .... NE's 5   and Tampa's 7.... with comp picks showing for Foles and Tate.

So with worst case draft scenario.... would be Eagles beating Tampa in the NFC title game then NE in the SB.... in order to get the Eagles picking 32, NE at 31 and Tampa at 30.      Using those #s... here is worst case scenario at the moment for 2020 barring any more trades or changes to comp picks.

Round 1   ... pick #32
Round 2 ....  pick #64
Round 3 ....  pick #96
Foles comp pick #97
Round 4 ..... pick #138
Tate comp   pick #143
Round 5 NE pick #178
Round 5  .....pick #179
Round 7  ....pick #247

That's 9 picks so far ... possible changes .... 

1.  WE give up our 5th rounder instead of the 6th for Howard (if he reaches the higher level, whatever it is)...   drop from 179 to 212
2.  WE can add a comp pick if we cut Fort or Sendejo    ....  144-146 range   
3. We can add via trade for Big V        
4. WE can add via trade for Agholor

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I was just thinking about our WR/ TE and receiving situation.   Looking at the group as a whole and individually from top to bottom with our guys.

1.  How many teams have a WR you can say is better than Alshon?  ATL, NO, Tampa, Dallas, GB, Minn, Indy, Houston, Cincy, Cleveland, Oak, LAC, KC  .... that's 13 out of 32 ... with Hill in KC and I'm putting Alshon ahead of the trio for the Rams as individuals.    

2.  How many teams can you say have a better #2 or duo than DeSean (with Alshon)  ... Minn, Cleveland  ..... you could argue ATL and KC with Ridley and Watkins as the #2s   and easily the Rams with any two of the 3 that they have.    So lets say its 5

3.  How many can match the top 3 we have with Agholor in the slot?       The Rams ... and maybe ATL with Sanu

4.   With that said, how many have the 4 and 5 that we can possibly have with the two young guys... JJAW and Hollins?     

5.  How many teams can say they have a TE as good as Ertz?    KC and SF ... you can put a few others as being up there as close if you want.

6.  How many teams can say they have a second TE or combo as good as Ertz and Goedert?

SO.....    Is there a team out there with a total package at WR and TE that can argue having top units in both categories?   Rams and Falcons are missing that TE ... Minn is missing the slot WR  ... Cleveland and KC could be there.    

As far as weapons in the passing game goes, I like ours as being as good as anyone else.    Throw in our OL and QB, we could easily have the best passing game.    I think a key will be running the ball effectively enough like a good boxer can use his jab.  If we can do that, sky's the limit on offense.

Defensively, I want one more pass rusher to step up at DE.  If we stay healthy and deep on the DL ... with Bradham and Jenkins staying healthy, I'll take my chances, to me the rest of the pieces are complimentary.  .  

Good analogy and I think Howard can "jab" all game.One reason I wanted him back when.Also remember they(Da Bears) increased Cohens touches over time and "phased" him out(or down),so his numbers should actually be better here even though we use the RBBC like most do now.Seems to me the amount they used him should have left lots of rubber on the tires and gas in the tank.I'm excited to see us put all this together.Think D co-ordinators are going to have to study extra hard when they play us,if they even have the personnel to do it.If Wentz can go through his reads quickly,we should be unstoppable.Really want to see this new RZ package we have once we get JJ some experience.Let's just hope we can keep them healhy 

11 hours ago, mateagle2 said:

Do you ever do anything without being insulting?

Sure,but you insulted 2 long time experienced Eagles players I happen to like without justification accusing them of "sandbagging",so as a fan I will defend them,because this is my team

Like this S sign gives us better depth TBH don't know much about him,I will read up to see what we have

College vid,but now he has some NFL experience.Like this pick-up.Seems to time his ball punches/strips very well(and he looks back for the ball,I hope we don't UNTEACH this)

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

But how wise is this? As far as contending and winning a title it’s fantastic. Depends on health. But it would be better if we extend Wentz now. Because if Wentz puts up the kind of numbers and season that I expect he’s going to want a Wilson-esque contract...after this season. If all things go well he could be in the MVP hunt this season. That’s a huge difference in negotiations. Might even make negotiating near impossible to accomplish. I thought Jerry Jones was playing hard ball with Dak last season. Dak couldn’t have asked for but so much on an extension. But then they brought in Cooper. That had to cost them millions a season in the Dak negotiation. And I get the feeling getting all these offensive weapons will cost us millions a season with Wentz also. If he can manage to stay healthy and start every game this season especially.

I’m not trying to be negative. Just a realist. So we need to get this deal done this season.

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But many teams aren’t on the positive side of the comp situation this year. And Wis could only cancel out a sixth round comp pick. A starting Oline for a sixth round pick loss seems fine by me(if I was a GM). Almost seems like it’s on Wis side. That he is taking his time to find the right fit. Part of that was waiting for the draft to unfold. 

But you could very well be right. If the two or three main team options have comp pick situations he would very negatively effect then yeah...smart to wait.

Signing Wis would cancel out that team's Lowest Rd Comp pick (3-6), so it could potentially be a 3rd or 4th round Comp Pick.

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Eagles 2020 draft picks .... at the moment, they have their own 1,2,3,4,5  .... NE's 5   and Tampa's 7.... with comp picks showing for Foles and Tate.

So with worst case draft scenario.... would be Eagles beating Tampa in the NFC title game then NE in the SB.... in order to get the Eagles picking 32, NE at 31 and Tampa at 30.      Using those #s... here is worst case scenario at the moment for 2020 barring any more trades or changes to comp picks.

Round 1   ... pick #32
Round 2 ....  pick #64
Round 3 ....  pick #96
Foles comp pick #97
Round 4 ..... pick #138
Tate comp   pick #143
Round 5 NE pick #178
Round 5  .....pick #179
Round 7  ....pick #247

That's 9 picks so far ... possible changes .... 

1.  WE give up our 5th rounder instead of the 6th for Howard (if he reaches the higher level, whatever it is)...   drop from 179 to 212
2.  WE can add a comp pick if we cut Fort or Sendejo    ....  144-146 range   
3. We can add via trade for Big V        
4. WE can add via trade for Agholor

I like your attitude!  basing our draft picks as super bowl winner!!

5 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

IDk we just signed that S from the niners,albeit he hasn't been on the field much.Like the Bryce Brown deal.I would do this if we'd like to have Sproles back.That would still leave us with Adams to continue his development

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDk we just signed that S from the niners,albeit he hasn't been on the field much.Like the Bryce Brown deal.I would do this if we'd like to have Sproles back.That would still leave us with Adams to continue his development

Or maybe we trade him for a 2020 pick

Smalls coming off a pretty good season and entering a contract yr, can be taken several ways. Entering a contract yr he'll play hard.

2 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Smalls coming off a pretty good season and entering a contract yr, can be taken several ways. Entering a contract yr he'll play hard.

But if we used him as sparsely as before(now that we have Sanders) then maybe he can play elsewhere for more snaps.Jax also since they lost Yeldon

Let the camp battles begin.   I'm sure Howie and co will constantly be working... he said as much.  I assume we make a trade or two... pick up a few players off waivers...etc.  

As of now, the potential post May 7 signing of a good player and a possible Wentz extension are the next things on the table.  I think all those other little moves can happen later, all the way up until the season starts. 

Yep, have to weigh what he can do for us this yr vs what we could get for him. As of now Sproles is not on the roster - does he want to play? Will he hold up? Sanders has the PSU record for punt returns btw

Even if we trade Smalls ( I would not let him go for nothing ) and dumped the Pump, we still have a nice RB room.

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Yep, have to weigh what he can do for us this yr vs what we could get for him. As of now Sproles is not on the roster - does he want to play? Will he hold up? Sanders has the PSU record for punt returns btw

IDK he's being tight lipped about a return

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Even if we trade Smalls ( I would not let him go for nothing ) and dumped the Pump, we still have a nice RB room.

IDK if you'll get much for him a 5th would even be a stretch IMO,but at least it's something