DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

BTW I still think Brett Rypien is/will be better than our draftee,but time will tell.Just trust me that Rypien will start somewhere in the next 2-3 years

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK as far as those 2 RB's I would even look at another LB for depth.LOVE how we have built this team.Pretty impressive after the Chip debacle to get this kind of roster as fast as we have

Well... see I think it wasn't as hard as some may think.   Pieces were in place from both Andy and Chip eras.   what I thought was huge was the effectiveness that they targeted the pieces that were missing .... and got out of all the bad contracts .... that 2016 offseason to me was so huge.  Might be the best for our Eagles teams when looking at everything.     

1. Got a franchise QB
2. Extended the best player  .. .Cox   (always good to extend Cox)
3. Unloaded Murray, Alonzo and Maxwell ... all to move up in draft with little dead money.   (Jernigan had more dead money this year)
4.  Got the 2nd safefy
5. Got a legit stud OG ... not a OT that can play G, but a road grader stud in Brooks
6.  I beleive they gave out new deals to Lane, Ertz, Jenkins ...etc to establish the core
7.  Traded Bradford for pick #14
8.  Plus all the coaching staff moves.... again... kept a lot of coaches from Chip's regime, but filled in the missing pieces.

To me... that offseason was the game changer.  It started things rolling in the right direction.   Then the beautiful 2017 offseason to finish off a great roster... was able to follow.   But Alshon doesn't come here without wanting to play with Wentz.  So to me, the 2016 offseason was the key to the whole thing.  They got the right coaches ... the right players ... and reset their cap to designate money to the right players and got pick #14 in the upcoming draft.   Can't do much more.  

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW until I see something ANY of those are replaceable

Sure and we need to see those 2 on the bubble get healthy and what they can offer.loser goes away

IDK... you are the biggest guy on here talking about keeping 5 RBs.... what's wrong with keeping them all.    The rush to get rid of one for another project DE... we already have 4 project DEs... a 5th one doesn;t do much for me... especially when I know good chance the 5th RBs will see some time either in the backfield or on ST.  

But also... what if Barnett or another DE get injured again ... now the project DEs become the #3.   Long can retire, I'm ok with that ... just that I want that #4 DE ... he will play, and incase of injury he will play A LOT.     At DT, McCoy is nice.  Since we already have Cox, Jernigan, Jackson ... plus just traded for one.   IDK... I would feel better depth wise both during games and in case of injury ... if we got the quality DE instead of DT.  Just makes more sense.  

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW I still think Brett Rypien is/will be better than our draftee,but time will tell.Just trust me that Rypien will start somewhere in the next 2-3 years

Well... behind Flacco and Lock now right?    Would not surprise me at all if he gets in a game for Denver the way they have been using their QBs.   

I think to say that these developmental guys will start in 2-3 years is tough though.   It would need to be wth their current teams barring any trades.   Other than preseason, not sure other teams will get much of a look.  If he starts in 4 or 5 years after hitting the FA market, might be more realistic being that he is a #3 now and won't get a chance to show much   

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Watched more on JJ.Yep I totally overlooked this guy,but a very nice selection.The DE from Penn,still on the fence.We shall see

From the things I’ve heard sounds as though we liked Miller physical traits and believe we can develop the more technical stuff needed for the positon...Hand usage counter move, power rush etc. 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

From the things I’ve heard sounds as though we liked Miller physical traits and believe we can develop the more technical stuff needed for the positon...Hand usage counter move, power rush etc. 

BG... this guy has development written all over it.   Seems like not only do they like his physical traits... but they like his effort.   They are relying on their coaching to teach, but they are looking at it like we can't teach effort or physical traits...etc.    I like the reasoning.... prretty much my idea of that the NFL is just so much different than college.   The college career goes out the window now.... now you are a pro, how you handle having the money, the lifestyle... the work.   All different than college.  

15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BG... this guy has development written all over it.   Seems like not only do they like his physical traits... but they like his effort.   They are relying on their coaching to teach, but they are looking at it like we can't teach effort or physical traits...etc.    I like the reasoning.... prretty much my idea of that the NFL is just so much different than college.   The college career goes out the window now.... now you are a pro, how you handle having the money, the lifestyle... the work.   All different than college.  

That huge in the nfl we see plenty of talented guys not work in the NFL because they don’t do the work needed to stay....So I say go for guys willing to put in the work and effort 

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Honestly pretty smart of Timmy he is a young guy only 25 can still get that big deal and he is likely to see the field enough in Schwartz scheme to show he is healthy and can play at a high level....So take the cheap prove it deal here then cash in next year 

Either way win for Philly healthy Timmy he a good player still feel like he played a huge role in our run D being so good during our SB run 

22 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I can hinestly say.... I didn't even know they were on the roster?    LOL

DC.... how about a tweet with Jernigan's salary?   

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I can hinestly say.... I didn't even know they were on the roster?    LOL

DC.... how about a tweet with Jernigan's salary?   

lol

Joe, there's a link above about Jernigan's deal.

9 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

But.... did Alexander sign for enough money for it to count?????     Also part of the equation.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

lol

Joe, there's a link above about Jernigan's deal.

My bad... I saw it earlier some place else.... came back to this page and sent that out before checking back to your post.   LOL

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

But.... did Alexander sign for enough money for it to count?????     Also part of the equation.

We'll have to wait and see what the deal is

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

My bad... I saw it earlier some place else.... came back to this page and sent that out before checking back to your post.   LOL

lol all good man

Just now, Don Corleone said:

We'll have to wait and see what the deal is

Yeah... guy tells me it isn't enough.  

I meant my gut.... lol 

Moves are being made baby... need a team that isn't getting a comp pick to sign Wiz for a $3 mil deal.  

Gowton poses a question in this article about possibly trading for Telvin Smith

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/5/1/18525897/dj-alexander-najee-goode-jaguars-eagles-news-linebackers-roster-philadelphia-telvin-smith-trade-nfl

His base salaries for 2019-2021 are $9.75 million, $10 million and $10.25 million. If they release him, I don't believe he's subject to waivers, so he'd immediately become an FA and the Eagles could land him for a lot cheaper, it would be better than giving up compensation for him, then having to restructure his contract.

Correction here, if he's traded, his base salaries for the new team would be $4.12 million in 2019, $7.18 million in 2020 and $10.25 million in 2021, per overthecap.

Salary Cap Calculator

Philadelphia Eagles

Eagles.gif--Change Team--BillsDolphinsPatriotsJetsRavensBengalsBrownsSteelersTexansColtsJaguarsTitansBroncosChiefsChargersRaidersCowboysGiantsEaglesRedskinsBearsLionsPackersVikingsFalconsPanthersSaintsBuccaneersCardinalsRams49ersSeahawks 
Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room
2019 $170,187,528 $197,508,046 $27,320,518
2020 $193,554,288 $200,000,000 $6,445,712
2021 $138,552,132 $200,000,000 $61,447,868
2022 $58,297,500 $200,000,000 $141,702,500
2023 $19,685,000 $200,000,000 $180,315,000
2024 $1,560,000 $200,000,000 $198,440,000

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

You lose me with this line of thinking.   I want to see my guy perform with a roster that is best as possible... I want to see if he can win me a title.  Not see if he can take a scrubby team and make it respectable.   I think Dallas getting Cooper helped in seeing if tehy want to pay Dak.   You are too concerned about the $$ that you are skipping over the more important fact that a team needs to have the right QB in the first place.   

I'm not worried about Wentz's contract.... I think he needs to get it done this offseason due to the CBA rules... nothing to do with waiting to see how he performs and then we may have to overpay next year.   I think plan B is playing out this year AND next year... signing the new deal completely under the new CBA, then Howie can use the signing bonus to keep the cap hits down for a while (and Wentz gets his big $$ up front).... I just don't think year 1 of a new deal makes sense if its in the 2020 season, we wouldn't be able to use the signing bonus in a long term deal, without Wentz having to take lower salaries for years or for us to have to start with a high salary.    Makes no sense for either side.  

Dallas with Dak ... they may franchise tag him in order to do the same thing ...which is either extend him now or wait til 2021.   Rams are in the same boat.  

So you are unsure whether you will resign Wentz or not? I’m sure I would. I’m sure we will. And I’d say right now he’s at his lowest leverage because he was injured last season. He has a huge season this season....then his value rises. Not a real complicated subject matter here. Pretty obvious stuff. I just am not seeing the option of not signing him to an extension so....

8 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Gowton poses a question in this article about possibly trading for Telvin Smith

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/5/1/18525897/dj-alexander-najee-goode-jaguars-eagles-news-linebackers-roster-philadelphia-telvin-smith-trade-nfl

His base salaries for 2019-2021 are $9.75 million, $10 million and $10.25 million. If they release him, I don't believe he's subject to waivers, so he'd immediately become an FA and the Eagles could land him for a lot cheaper, it would be better than giving up compensation for him, then having to restructure his contract.

I voted yes