DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

This article is a number of years old but was written about Brown the year he was drafted. By the way, he ran a 4.5  40 

Brown might be one of the fastest straight-line linebackers to ever enter the NFL draft, therefore making him one the most intriguing prospects of this class. While speed is the most striking feature of Brown's game, there are many aspects that are question marks as he enters the NFL. It has been well-documented that he possesses track-type speed. He does show it on the field and stands out as a player who effortlessly is in position to be a high-tackle production linebacker. Brown could be effective in nearly any variation of linebacker in any defense but projects best as a 4-3 outside linebacker who can be active in pass defense. 

Well one thing is for sure, Both Bradham and Brown are excellent tacklers. Which one is the better candidate to play outside? We know that Bradham has played both inside and outside well however he has also demonstrated Bricks for hands in the interception department. Don't know much about Brown's hands in that category  so it should be interesting.   The Eagles need more interceptions going forward than they have had the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Well that would be exciting and interesting all at the same time 🤣

MJK with hounds ears,is the world ready for this?

Nice signing,should be fun when we play the skinnies

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah I'd like to snag Tre Boston(S),but happy we added LB depth 

Interesting that Bradham and Brown are the same age 29. Bradham turns 30 in Sept. and Brown in Oct.  Both these guys are tackling machines and should be playing at the top of their games for the next couple years. Bradham had 306 tackles in college which is hard to achieve. Bradham plays the outside well and still runs a 4.64 40 which is pretty quick for a LB. It will be interesting to see who plays where. I think our middle linebacker calls the defensive plays so that should be advantage Bradham as he has done it before. Brown is faster than Bradham. 

31 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah I'd like to snag Tre Boston(S),but happy we added LB depth 

Why is a 26 year old safety already been with three teams GB? I mean his numbers look good so I don't get it. Is it because he is considered a cover safety? I was reading that he would sign for somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 mil range.

18 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Why is a 26 year old safety already been with three teams GB? I mean his numbers look good so I don't get it. Is it because he is considered a cover safety? I was reading that he would sign for somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 mil range.

Not sure what the issue is with him but everything I’ve seen indicates he is a good player 

I would take a chance on Boston at 2-3m  think he would way out play that 

I've seen a couple of articles lately complaining about  the fact that the Eagles have only had 5 picks for the last 2 years.

Using a low pick to move up and get a top talent seems like a good deal to me.

Is losing  a 6th or 7th normally that big a deal?

1 minute ago, ASG15 said:

I've seen a couple of articles lately complaining about  the fact that the Eagles have only had 5 picks for the last 2 years.

No problem here with 5 picks. I think what is more important is creating a team and atmosphere that free agents are attracted to. It wasn't always that way with the Eagles.

7 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Nah no big deal to me.We can usually match up with teams that have those picks getting players in UDFA(Clement and Adams come to mind,so why weren't they taken in 6,7?) lol

29 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not sure what the issue is with him but everything I’ve seen indicates he is a good player 

I would take a chance on Boston at 2-3m  think he would way out play that 

I believe I would as well. I just got out a comment page where people were running him down for his tackling ability so I looked up his career stats.  Last year he had 79 tackles with 66 solo and 3 int's and 9 passes defended. In 2017 he had 79 tackles with 55 being solo and 5 int's and 8 passes defended. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Plus this may be McLeod's last year. Who knows! Still say that Mills and Douglas could be our next two safties.  

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I believe I would as well. I just got out a comment page where people were running him down for his tackling ability so I looked up his career stats.  Last year he had 79 tackles with 66 solo and 3 int's and 9 passes defended. In 2017 he had 79 tackles with 55 being solo and 5 int's and 8 passes defended. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Plus this may be McLeod's last year. Who knows! Still say that Mills and Douglas could be our next two safties.  

I like Douglas as an outside CB but agree on mills 

7 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I like Douglas as an outside CB but agree on mills 

Boston hasn't gotten any respect from the get go. He was projected to go in the second round and fell to the 4th. LOL

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1954282-tre-boston-nfl-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-more

Welp,it could also be AZ purging their team.New staff who may have different ideas about where they want to go.I don't think he's any worse than what we have and missed only ONE game which is a plus to me. 

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

So why can't the Eagles do the same thing?

Don't worry about the contract.   Howie is not a rookie.  Wentz will get paid and the cap hit will work for the Eagles.   Doesn't change the fact we still need good drafting, coaching and health to win the SB.

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I thought he was your neighbor GB. 

Yeah he actually lived and in and played for North Fort Myers high,which is the exact town I live in.Saw him play some HS ball vs my local HS(Estero) when I lived in San Carlos park

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Don't worry about the contract.   Howie is not a rookie.  Wentz will get paid and the cap hit will work for the Eagles.   Doesn't change the fact we still need good drafting, coaching and health to win the SB.

I never worry about things I have no control over!

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW I forgot he was a homer lol

Trey Burton went to Venice High school and Sam Shields went to Booker High school in Sarasota.

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

Trey Burton went to Venice High school and Sam Shields went to Booker High school in Sarasota.

Venice has some good teams!!! I remember they kicked Estero into the weeds lmao.of course it's 3 times the size lol

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Venice has some good teams!!! I remember they kicked Estero into the weeds lmao.of course it's 3 times the size lol

Yes they won a state championship in football and baseball in the same year. My grandson's high school team played them every year. The four years he was there, they split. Then we have the IMG Academy 3 miles from my house. They are usually rated in the top 5 high schools in the nation for high school football. No doubt we have a lot of talent down this way.

I know we don't really need any more WR's but someone will get a nice pick up(BU/special situations) in Caroo

On 5/2/2019 at 9:53 AM, 1wrangler said:

Hi TD ,  Maybe Oakland would be interested in a swap but since their offensive line was offensive last year, (ranked 28) I sort of thought they might be interested in Big-V as well. At first I was thinking Agholor for Karl Joseph was the most logical trade for both teams. Both 25 years old and both 1st round draft picks that haven't lived up to their draft status. Both playing much better now than their first couple of years in the NFL. Both players probably playing their last year with the club. I just seemed like a logical trade.  Now Oakland loses a RB and this guy is talking Smallwood for Joseph. I am wondering if that would be enough to get Joseph. Maybe Smallwood and Big-V for Joseph.

Hey Wrang, boy…TBH I'm not a good one to ask for a judge of most players on other teams. I focus the majority of my attention on Eagles' players first and foremost. However, after reading up on Joseph and seeing his PFF grades from 2016-2018 he made a lot of improvement from '17-'18 by going from 35th among all qualified safeties in 2017 to 23rd highest grade among all safeties last season. In my view, (which is <0-zilch) I would say that Big V and Smallwood would be needed to acquire Joseph.