DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

No I didn't. You thinking that Goodell would take you to lunch to discuss modifications to the NFL had me rollin' on the floor with tears of laughter after reading it. lol

The Three Stooges Curly GIF - TheThreeStooges Curly Top GIFs

LMAO oh well I put the eye roll in there but glad you got a laugh anyway

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I can see some positives in expanding the rosters over 53. Especially with the rules forcing players to not play because of concussions. But there are negatives also. That would mean less available talent out there. Especially for legit playoff teams in the hunt that run across a late injury. And it’s kind of hard to complain about the size of the roster when we stash two or three guys on the 53 that can’t legit suit up. So maybe there is a simple solution: two extra future stars roster spots. Two spots for developmental projects that can’t be poached by other teams.

If you're a legt playoff team,I doubt you are worrying about your PS players anyway.For those teams that may be close but not there yet(many) they could at least still fill players on game day

5 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Thanks Joe. What do you make of this - From what I've read here it seems that JP wasn't crazy about playing next to Wis. Just like he didn't mind that Evan Mathis wasn't brought back. Tra Thomas mentioned Peters believing Wisniewski's play style led to Peters getting hurt last year.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/10/8/17951606/eagles-stefen-wisniewski-feels-bench-performance-related-isaac-seumalo-philadelphia-offensive-line

Don't make anything about it.... but that's just me.   I think they wanted to get the young guy in.   The OL was struggling... they made a move that both sent the message and got the young guy in.   Pretty simple to me.  

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So don't put one on the PS if you dont want to-simple

Yeah... but didn't you specifically say you chose 56 ... because it was 3 more than the 53 ... P, K and LS?    Wasn't that your reason for expending it to EXACTLY 56?  

So again... what is the difference in Jim Smith punting at his house instead of punting at Novacare before we actually need him?  

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Ok .... so lets think about this.... your punter gets hurt ... who replaces him?   Chances are the guy on the PS and the "chump off the street" are the same guy.   Just that according to your rules, he would be practicing with the team?????    Does a punter really need to be there practicing with the team???   Is the punter playbook that complicated ???    I need this one explained.    Jim Smith is the guy Howie has on speed dial incase our punter gets injured.... does it matter if Jim Smith is at home practicing or does he need to be in Philly practicing?      I'd love to hear this answer.  

At ;east he would be familiar with the players and coaches.What if your P got hurt down the stretch and you are in a playoff game the next 4 days? Sure bring some guy COLD or at least have a guy you are comfortable with and like? I didnt say a P on the PS was MANDATORY lol

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... but didn't you specifically say you chose 56 ... because it was 3 more than the 53 ... P, K and LS?    Wasn't that your reason for expending it to EXACTLY 56?  

So again... what is the difference in Jim Smith punting at his house instead of punting at Novacare before we actually need him?  

56 because those players are not replaced often.with 12 on the PS you have the OPTION of putting another K,P (or any other position) on your PS.If you opt on not having a P on your PS thats your call,but dont complain that "oh we lost cause we got a kicker 2 days ago"

And who knows,maybe your PS kicker or punter becomes good enough to take the starter job away.I have no crystal ball,but weird things happen all the time

IDk if it was me I'd like to know the players I'm playing with,instead of being told,here's your helmet go kick this ball 2 hours before gametime lol

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

At ;east he would be familiar with the players and coaches.What if your P got hurt down the stretch and you are in a playoff game the next 4 days? Sure bring some guy COLD or at least have a guy you are comfortable with and like? I didnt say a P on the PS was MANDATORY lol

IDK... I would assume the guy would be punting all along?   Not cold ?    I don't think it really matters when the ball gets snapped ... if the punter knows the equipment guy or not.... how that will effect his punt.    

But to me... the only rule I would make is just make the whole 53 eligible to play, I don't like the 53 to 45 on game day.   Really, I think the rosters are big enough ... enough backups could prboably be starting for another team, I would assume the players wouldn't want any more expansion, because it means less freedom to go look for another opportunity.    I like competition, the bigger the roster the more fringe guys in the league.  Let those guys fight for their spots.  
You want to designate a keeper for your practice squad ... the guy who normally gets the undisclosed injury?   Sure whatever, but I think again, you look at it from an Eagles fan point of view... that specific guy would want to be able to get picked up and put on a roster so he gets an opportunity.  

IDk if it was me I'd like to know the players I'm playing with,instead of being told,here's your helmet go kick this ball 2 hours before gametime lol

I think those guys just are grateful for a job.   

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK... I would assume the guy would be punting all along?   Not cold ?    I don't think it really matters when the ball gets snapped ... if the punter knows the equipment guy or not.... how that will effect his punt.    

But to me... the only rule I would make is just make the whole 53 eligible to play, I don't like the 53 to 45 on game day.   Really, I think the rosters are big enough ... enough backups could prboably be starting for another team, I would assume the players wouldn't want any more expansion, because it means less freedom to go look for another opportunity.    I like competition, the bigger the roster the more fringe guys in the league.  Let those guys fight for their spots.  
You want to designate a keeper for your practice squad ... the guy who normally gets the undisclosed injury?   Sure whatever, but I think again, you look at it from an Eagles fan point of view... that specific guy would want to be able to get picked up and put on a roster so he gets an opportunity.  

I'm just saying there is ALOT more talent than when these archaic rules were made.WAY back when these were made,some teams had a hard time filling out a roster,and some guys played both O and D due to lack of substantial players

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I think those guys just are grateful for a job.   

Well like I said it's not mandatory,but some teams may opt to sign the TOP K or P after draft day.I dont see any harm in that

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well like I said it's not mandatory,but some teams may opt to sign the TOP K or P after draft day.I dont see any harm in that

Keeps your starter honed in because there is competition waiting in the wings.why is that a bad thing?

GB, Ham, Joe - IDK, I think all of 3 of you make good points on the roster mods.

35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'm just saying there is ALOT more talent than when these archaic rules were made.WAY back when these were made,some teams had a hard time filling out a roster,and some guys played both O and D due to lack of substantial players

Yeah... other than Dion ... I don;t think there were too many guys playing both sides of the ball for a long time??????     The rosters have gotten bigger and bigger over time.   I think with 32 teams ... they want parity, they want the 4th string player on the good team to be able to go play for the bad team.  Again, I think you are just looking at it from tunnel vision.  Eagles fan, I want to keep everyone point of view.   The game benefits when its players can go play.  If your roster is so good that you need to release some good players, then so be it.   Like I said... just make the whole 53 eligible to pla during the game and it should be enough.  

39 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Keeps your starter honed in because there is competition waiting in the wings.why is that a bad thing?

I really think that you miss that these guys aren't just sitting at home watching TV?   Didn't we have our starting nickel CB at the end of the year come from not having a job... he looked pretty good at the end didn't he?    I think kickers and punters are still practicing their kicks.   I would think its a safe assumption?  

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... other than Dion ... I don;t think there were too many guys playing both sides of the ball for a long time??????     The rosters have gotten bigger and bigger over time.   I think with 32 teams ... they want parity, they want the 4th string player on the good team to be able to go play for the bad team.  Again, I think you are just looking at it from tunnel vision.  Eagles fan, I want to keep everyone point of view.   The game benefits when its players can go play.  If your roster is so good that you need to release some good players, then so be it.   Like I said... just make the whole 53 eligible to pla during the game and it should be enough.  

lmao it FIVE guys and lesser players at that.it applies to all teams so no way is this tunnel vision

42 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Or like I said though ... maybe these guys would prefer to be able to try out for teams as they are needed, instead of just being buried on a PS with one team and not being able to go for a tryout.   Remember this rule, a team needs to put you on their 53 man roster and cut a player ... in order to poach you off another team's PS.   I think you fail to see this freedom because you are so concerned as a fan of one particular team that we can just keep everyone and let them keep practicing so that the Eagles are better?    

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah players never got better over decades,coaches never got better over decades, HS players who gett recruited to colleges never got better.Doesnt really matter wont happen anyway

I think kickers and punters are still practicing their kicks.   I would think its a safe assumption?  

no idea,if they were on the PS I would know they are working

lmao it FIVE guys and lesser players at that.it applies to all teams so no way is this tunnel vision

So what has been the roster expansion in the last 30 years ...and alos the practice squad? 

I say 30 years because its now 1989... I remember Dion playing some WR kinda regular... some emergency SB from Troy Brown and Edlemen... and that's pretty much it.   Other than that, I remember Danny White as QB and punter.   I think the Rams had a dude that kicked and punted?   Really everyone else just playing one spot back in the cave man days of the 1980s and late 70s...lol

Yeah players never got better over decades,coaches never got better over decades, HS players who gett recruited to colleges never got better.Doesnt really matter wont happen anyway

So what if players got better.... the competition gets better, thats what happens.   So should we expand the roster to 100 because players get better????   We'll keep our 10th string OT so that he can't play with another team?   

So what has been the roster expansion in the last 30 years ...and alos the practice squad? 

I say 30 years because its now 1989... I remember Dion playing some WR kinda regular... some emergency SB from Troy Brown and Edlemen... and that's pretty much it.   Other than that, I remember Danny White as QB and punter.   I think the Rams had a dude that kicked and punted?   Really everyone else just playing one spot back in the cave man days of the 1980s and late 70s...lol

And these rules were made decades before this

So what if players got better.... the competition gets better, thats what happens.   So should we expand the roster to 100 because players get better????   We'll keep our 10th string OT so that he can't play with another team?   

it gives players without jobs a job 160 to be exact

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

It gives 160 more guys a chance.So we differ no big deal

I think kickers and punters are still practicing their kicks.   I would think its a safe assumption?  

no idea,if they were on the PS I would know they are working

I know... YOU are the one that needs to know... lol   That's why the 10 plays in a preseason game seem to matter more than the 6 weeks of practice with some guys.   Do we need to see Sunds in a preseason game, can't we trust the coaching over the last 2 years?    Same with the rugby guy?   A few snaps tells us more?    How many August hall of famers do we see getting cut?   But they had 4 great snaps in preseason game 4, how can you cut him coach.... the fact he stunk 90% of the time in practice is meaningless....lol 

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So... none of these guys ever gets a better opportunity because they would be a free agent?  Locking them in on one team you think is what all these guys want?