DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I know... YOU are the one that needs to know... lol   That's why the 10 plays in a preseason game seem to matter more than the 6 weeks of practice with some guys.   Do we need to see Sunds in a preseason game, can't we trust the coaching over the last 2 years?    Same with the rugby guy?   A few snaps tells us more?    How many August hall of famers do we see getting cut?   But they had 4 great snaps in preseason game 4, how can you cut him coach.... the fact he stunk 90% of the time in practice is meaningless....lol 

So we differ,done with this

1989 was the first year of the practice squad.... 6 players .... the 45 man game day roster with 2 inactives ... pretty much your 53 man roster today. 

1991.... they increased the game day roster to 45 plus emergency QB   (might be result fo the body bag game?)   So 54 player total

1993 they made the 53 man roster ( 6 months after they invented the wheel, the old days!)    and they had an additional 5 man practice squad.  For 58 players. (The dinasaurs were a little upset with this back in 1993, but we rubbed two sticks together and made a fire, and it calmed them down)

2005 increased the PS from 5 to 8     ... 61 players total

2011 they expanded the game day roster to 46 (it used to be 45 plus emergency QB)  Same 61 total though

2014 they expanded the PS to 10 guys  ... allowing 2 extra that would not normally qualify for the PS   .... 63 guys total

2016 they allowed an extra 4 guys who would normally not be allowed to be on the PS    ...same 63 total though

To me... thats 63 guys plus anyone you have on IR... 11 play on the field at a time.     That's more than enough to have on your overall roster.    The next progression should be to just make the whole 53 eligible for game day, its better than seeing a TE or WR play QB if 2 guys go down.  Also, in case of a blowout, you can put in all backup players on both lines ...etc.  

At that point... further down the road... if you want to make part of the PS  ( the guys from 54 to 63)  as part of your roster to where other teams can't poach, then fine.    Then you can progress to where you can keep increasing that number to 63 and or making more eligible to play on Sundays.      To me... you don't need more than 63 guys to hoard for your team to keep them away from being free agents and possibly getting a better chance to play.  

That's great that players are better now.... means its good for the game that the best players fight for spots.   All 32 teams should be cutting good football players.  It's best for competition.  

I don't get that .... you can have a 3rd string QB ... plus a guy on a PS .... but incase 2 guys get hurt, I need to see a TE, RB or WR go play QB?   

Yeah ... go ahead and keep 63 guys .... but we want to see a worse product on Sunday if your 2 QBS get hurt?     Don't see it in any other sport?   Baseball, you can pitch all your pitchers before having to use a position player.   Hockey you dress both goalies... don't need to put in another position player ... but football ... yeah, keep 4 QBs but you can't play 3 or 4 ... lol   Dumb.   

I appreciated this so much that I wanted to pass it on for anyone that might enjoy it. I keep hoping that the Eagles will eventually acquire a player that's Dawkins-like, but I highly doubt it. This dude is a one hundred year storm. The way he played I'd swear he was immortal. Well, he thought he was when on the field. Class Act!

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

yeah no farm system in baseball

Farm system makes sense in baseball ... they can play 100 games.   You need to find a league for these kids to play in that is affiliated with an NFL team.   Again, I think 63 guys is enough to have ... plus guys on IR.   You want to make them all eligible to play on Sundays, then great.  I don't think any farm system will work for football because I don't think the farm leagues will last.   It would have happened by now.  The issue is pretty simple,

1. the amount of players it would take to field a team 
2.  the amount of teams you would need to form a league
3. The best college players ... about 256 of them every year ... getting drafted to an NFL team  

So for each of the 32 teams to find enough players to have their own farm team... after the cream of the crop gets drafted.   That's tough math right there.  

I think there is a lot of stuff gong on behind the scenes where these guys we don't know or forget about are always having their agents in touch with teams.  While they may seem as guys "off the street" I think these guys remain in touch with teams and remain ready to go for the most part.   

IDK, I guess I can understand them wanting to keep the game day to 45 ... maybe they make a rule that the extra guys can go in in the 4th quarter or something... but the QBs should all dress IMO, just make it where the other guys can't go back in if you use #3.  

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Farm system makes sense in baseball ... they can play 100 games.   You need to find a league for these kids to play in that is affiliated with an NFL team.   Again, I think 63 guys is enough to have ... plus guys on IR.   You want to make them all eligible to play on Sundays, then great.  I don't think any farm system will work for football because I don't think the farm leagues will last.   It would have happened by now.  The issue is pretty simple,

1. the amount of players it would take to field a team 
2.  the amount of teams you would need to form a league
3. The best college players ... about 256 of them every year ... getting drafted to an NFL team  

So for each of the 32 teams to find enough players to have their own farm team... after the cream of the crop gets drafted.   That's tough math right there.  

I think there is a lot of stuff gong on behind the scenes where these guys we don't know or forget about are always having their agents in touch with teams.  While they may seem as guys "off the street" I think these guys remain in touch with teams and remain ready to go for the most part.   

IDK, I guess I can understand them wanting to keep the game day to 45 ... maybe they make a rule that the extra guys can go in in the 4th quarter or something... but the QBs should all dress IMO, just make it where the other guys can't go back in if you use #3.  

Yeah,I didnt say my ideas were perfect,but you know there should be some way.AAF failed.Now the XFL is firing up again.So someone else thinks this is feasible or they wouldnt toss milliions of dollars at it.So we lost Perez(AAF).As you said these are substandard players in the NFL,but you never know when some could finally get it together.The fact we picked up Perez at ALL shows my thoughts aren't totally without merit.If I was a FA(no paycheck here) I would be happy to sign anywhere.160 more incomes with 160 more paying taxes and once you get SOME type of job,you always push a little harder to succeed rather than sitting home practicing for free

58 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

We need G depth more than WR depth,so this is no shocker.he may not make the team either,but at least we're getting bodies in here

55 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Bryce Treggs is calling it a career.   This was right under that article

11 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I appreciated this so much that I wanted to pass it on for anyone that might enjoy it. I keep hoping that the Eagles will eventually acquire a player that's Dawkins-like, but I highly doubt it. This dude is a one hundred year storm. The way he played I'd swear he was immortal. Well, he thought he was when on the field. Class Act!

Beast

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,I didnt say my ideas were perfect,but you know there should be some way.AAF failed.Now the XFL is firing up again.So someone else thinks this is feasible or they wouldnt toss milliions of dollars at it.So we lost Perez(AAF).As you said these are substandard players in the NFL,but you never know when some could finally get it together.The fact we picked up Perez at ALL shows my thoughts aren't totally without merit.If I was a FA(no paycheck here) I would be happy to sign anywhere.160 more incomes with 160 more paying taxes and once you get SOME type of job,you always push a little harder to succeed rather than sitting home practicing for free

Your thoughts completely have merit.   Who would argue that having players continue to play their sport wouldn't help them in possibly getting a chance to showcase and work on their skills.     It's just that a league is very difficult to put together when factoring all these things.    As for AAF (I didn't watch any, so I hope those are the right initials)  or another "league"   are the guys who put it together looking to make money because of the popularity of the sport?   Without that element, you can't have a league.   Not to me, you may draw interest for a few weeks, but it won't last with the inferior product that you would put out on the field... then what do you have if some of those top players get injured?  Now you are really looking at an inferior product.    

Just think about it.... baseball, hockey ..etc.  most MLB and NHL players play in those leagues first, it develops their skills.   Football, the best players go right to the NFL.     So the amount of players needed, plus coaches and everything else to have a league... just for the benefit of finding a couple of players ... diamonds in the rough so to speak... its a lot to ask to have a league.     This is where these guys constantly workout and have their agents in touch with the league.  

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Bryce Treggs is calling it a career.   This was right under that article

Who?

Miles Sanders looks great I just hope his fumbling issues are behind him. 308 career touches 10 fumbles. That would have him averaging about 10 fumbles a year if you gave him 19 touches a game/304 touches. Granted last year he had 244 touches and only 5 fumbles but that's still a lot. Shady has 22 fumbles in his 10 year career. That's averaging 252.6 touches per year and only 2.2 fumbles. 

20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So we differ,done with this

Hi GB I have to agree with you. As of the summer of 2016, there are 774 colleges and universities that provide football programs. This number increases on average about five tams a year. There are 130 schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and 125 in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Each team in the Division 1 and FBS has approximately 75 players on their team so just looking nationwide at the Div 1 program, and FBS, that is approximately 20,000 players. No one will ever convince me that we will pollute the NFL  with inferior talent by adding another 160 players to the league. Between all the NFL talent evaluators. they probably miss much more talent than 160 players each year that could beat an existing talent out of his NFL job anyway.  

20 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Your thoughts completely have merit.   Who would argue that having players continue to play their sport wouldn't help them in possibly getting a chance to showcase and work on their skills.     It's just that a league is very difficult to put together when factoring all these things.    As for AAF (I didn't watch any, so I hope those are the right initials)  or another "league"   are the guys who put it together looking to make money because of the popularity of the sport?   Without that element, you can't have a league.   Not to me, you may draw interest for a few weeks, but it won't last with the inferior product that you would put out on the field... then what do you have if some of those top players get injured?  Now you are really looking at an inferior product.    

Just think about it.... baseball, hockey ..etc.  most MLB and NHL players play in those leagues first, it develops their skills.   Football, the best players go right to the NFL.     So the amount of players needed, plus coaches and everything else to have a league... just for the benefit of finding a couple of players ... diamonds in the rough so to speak... its a lot to ask to have a league.     This is where these guys constantly workout and have their agents in touch with the league.  

IDK,how do the baseball minor leagues teams survive,but no football ones can? Just makes no sense to me.I watched the AFF because it was still competitive.Like you playing handball against a similar guy.You are no PRO at it,but it makes for an entertaining game.The same reasons I challenge my friends to pool games.I'm no Minnesota Fats,but since we are equal at being substandard,it makes a competition

9 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Who?

MJK had a man crush on him.The WR who we got who had bounced around the league and who we also releasd.The "speed" guy MJK had the hots for lol

5 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Miles Sanders looks great I just hope his fumbling issues are behind him. 308 career touches 10 fumbles. That would have him averaging about 10 fumbles a year if you gave him 19 touches a game/304 touches. Granted last year he had 244 touches and only 5 fumbles but that's still a lot. Shady has 22 fumbles in his 10 year career. That's averaging 252.6 touches per year and only 2.2 fumbles. 

Lets hope he does well.Howard and Sanders would be a nice backfield tossing in Clement.Looks to me like Sproles will have to retire or maybe he goes somewhere on a cheap deal.

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Hi GB I have to agree with you. As of the summer of 2016, there are 774 colleges and universities that provide football programs. This number increases on average about five tams a year. There are 130 schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and 125 in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Each team in the Division 1 and FBS has approximately 75 players on their team so just looking nationwide at the Div 1 program, and FBS, that is approximately 20,000 players. No one will ever convince me that we will pollute the NFL  with inferior talent by adding another 160 players to the league. Between all the NFL talent evaluators. they probably miss much more talent than 160 players each year that could beat an existing talent out of his NFL job anyway.  

yeah,some guys just aren't ready yet for the big time.My idea could snag some "late bloomers" and give 160 other guys a reason to show up for work.Since we have no farm systems in place,I thought this would be a nice way to at least have SOMETHING and it's really not complicated,nor requires heavy doses of investment

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Lets hope he does well.Howard and Sanders would be a nice backfield tossing in Clement.Looks to me like Sproles will have to retire or maybe he goes somewhere on a cheap deal.

I only expect him to average 15 carries per year but that's still 8 fumbles per year for the kid. I would be really disappointed if he averaged 8 fumbles a year.

Just now, downwithdallas said:

I only expect him to average 15 carries per year but that's still 8 fumbles per year for the kid. I would be really disappointed if he averaged 8 fumbles a year.

well in theory he will get stronger and smarter.He will make his rook mistakes,most do.But you have to make mistakes at times to learn.The only mistake anyone makes is never trying

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK,how do the baseball minor leagues teams survive,but no football ones can? Just makes no sense to me.I watched the AFF because it was still competitive.Like you playing handball against a similar guy.You are no PRO at it,but it makes for an entertaining game.The same reasons I challenge my friends to pool games.I'm no Minnesota Fats,but since we are equal at being substandard,it makes a competition

Because its cheaper to run ... you play games every day to make money every day .... the players that are playing in the league are the TOP prospects who will be future stars.       Again... its a nice idea... but the inferior product won't continue to draw interest.   And it will be inferior because the best players from college won't go play there.  All the draft picks... plus the UDFA guys ... what is it 90 guys per team to start.   You get down to 63 plus IR guys ... that's leaving you 27 guys per 32 teams to start a minor leauge where each team has an affiliate.    You need even more players than that ti field a team.   Then those guys get injuriess... you keep diluting the talent pool and the product gets worse.   The 224 OT that you will need to eventually play, isn't going to be of interest to most people????   

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Anybody paying to watch you and your friends play pool?   

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

yeah,some guys just aren't ready yet for the big time.My idea could snag some "late bloomers" and give 160 other guys a reason to show up for work.Since we have no farm systems in place,I thought this would be a nice way to at least have SOMETHING and it's really not complicated,nor requires heavy doses of investment

If you remember, during the last  NFL contract Neg. the owners wanted to make changes to the season and have three pre season games and play one more regular season game. The players said they would agree with it if the Owners added five more players to each team. The owners passed. The players aren't stupid. They know the owners want to eventually have two pre season games and 18 regular season. All the players want is the correct number of players on the team to accommodate that arrangement.

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Because its cheaper to run ... you play games every day to make money every day .... the players that are playing in the league are the TOP prospects who will be future stars.       Again... its a nice idea... but the inferior product won't continue to draw interest.   And it will be inferior because the best players from college won't go play there.  All the draft picks... plus the UDFA guys ... what is it 90 guys per team to start.   You get down to 63 plus IR guys ... that's leaving you 27 guys per 32 teams to start a minor leauge where each team has an affiliate.    You need even more players than that ti field a team.   Then those guys get injuriess... you keep diluting the talent pool and the product gets worse.   The 224 OT that you will need to eventually play, isn't going to be of interest to most people????   

Anybody paying to watch you and your friends play pool?   

Sometimes lmao