DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Just now, joemas6 said:

IDK... I can't read minds...lol

If you had read my initial post you'd get it lol(like 20 pages back now lol)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I have an extra jar of PB if he's desitute lol

They raise the cap alot more than this every year. 1.4 mil aint gonna kill anyone 

They raise the cap for guys that play that want raises

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So 1.4 mil wont kill anyone.Add 1.5 onto the next cap raise,DONE

Let me think put that 1.4 to a guy like Cox to make him happy or 5 guys that probably will never see the field. Hmmmmmm. That's a tough choice for me. 

But you have the option

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

Let me think put that 1.4 to a guy like Cox to make him happy or 5 guys that probably will never see the field. Hmmmmmm. That's a tough choice for me. 

Tell y'all what just freakin FORGET IT.I am done with this

Have a great day

4 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

No but he isn't handing out millions of dollars every year for nothing either. 

The league wouldn't be going from 16 to 18 regular season games for nothing.  Who would be the greedy ones between the owners and the players if the league started playing 18 games next year and everything remained the same as far as the players rosters and their salaries?  To my knowledge, the only thing the players want is a larger roster by 5 guys and not higher salaries. Of course we all know what the owners want! LMAO 

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The league wouldn't be going from 16 to 18 regular season games for nothing.  Who would be the greedy ones between the owners and the players if the league started playing 18 games next year and everything remained the same as far as the players rosters and their salaries?  To my knowledge, the only thing the players want is a larger roster by 5 guys and not higher salaries. Of course we all know what the owners want! LMAO 

In the last 10-15 years I believe 4 or 5 owners had to sell their franchise cause they couldn't afford them. So yes it does matter what the owners want not the players. They're not the ones paying the bills. Without the owners they can play the game for free after they get off work from their day jobs.

6 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

In the last 10-15 years I believe 4 or 5 owners had to sell their franchise cause they couldn't afford them. So yes it does matter what the owners want not the players. They're not the ones paying the bills. Without the owners they can play the game for free after they get off work from their day jobs.

If any owner lost his franchise in the last 10-15 years, it was through incompetence. The league has made sure there is plenty of money to go around. If you can't make it with the goose that laid the golden egg, too bad!

22 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

From what I've read here it seems that JP wasn't crazy about playing next to Wis. Just like he didn't mind that Evan Mathis wasn't brought back. Tra Thomas mentioned Peters believing Wisniewski's play style led to Peters getting hurt last year. So IDK, just going on what I've read.

The 2018 season was an interesting one for Seumalo to say the least. He replaced Stefen Wisniewskiat left guard in Week 5 of the season and never relinquished it, even through injury in December. The story on the offensive line was the left guard competition between Seumalo and Wisniewski.

Seumalo allowed 21 pressures in 345 pass blocking snaps (one sack, five hits, 15 hurries). He graded at 62.1 by Pro Football Focus (60.6 pass, 61.5 run) in 547 snaps (503 at left guard, 32 at right tackle). By the PFF grades, Seumalo had a better season than Wisniewski...even though the stats showed Wisniewski had a better season in pass protection.

The hope I had for Treggs was to lengthen the field. That inability has hurt us for a while.

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

Dude... the idea of putting money in Cox .... it should always win.  

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

What is this 16 to 18 games stuff?    

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... it does require heavy doses of investment.... this is what you are missing.    Players, travel, stadiums, all kinds of expenses involved.... that's why these leagues keep folding.   It's really not your idea.... its been tried multiple times hasn't it?   

The CFL was founded in the ‘50s

51 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I played on the weekend ... after work is tough.    

30 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

If any owner lost his franchise in the last 10-15 years, it was through incompetence. The league has made sure there is plenty of money to go around. If you can't make it with the goose that laid the golden egg, too bad!

Yes they make money every year but they also have to be able to shell out money for all those signing bonuses not to mention all the other expenses that come with a team. The stadium being a huge expense too. Not to mention Minnesota voted down a new stadium 5 times before it passed the bill to have tax payers help. Doesn't help that they attach 1000 other things on those bills too. Plus small market vrs big market. Makes a huge difference. 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The CFL was founded in the ‘50s

Is that a minor league affiliate?   

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

That's what she said

The CFL isn’t a farm system. But many times here the XFL and AAF was brought up saying another league doesn’t work. But it has worked for a long time. The CFL has been around since the 50s. They just started a combine in Mexico. Also Europe has leagues. Germany, Italy and France have their own football leagues.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Oh the players want the extra salary for sure. Two preseason games they just have risk. Adding two more regular season games they expect two more game day paychecks. And everybody likes to see those extra dollars. Not sure how much the balance of injury risk even factors in. Everybody just sees those extra dollar signs. Players, Owners, Refs, ball boys, concession stand employees, park lot owners and workers, restaurants, hotels......

39 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The CFL isn’t a farm system. But many times here the XFL and AAF was brought up saying another league doesn’t work. But it has worked for a long time. The CFL has been around since the 50s. They just started a combine in Mexico. Also Europe has leagues. Germany, Italy and France have their own football leagues.

I mean.... its Canada right?    With their own rules ...etc.   It's not another US league?   Its not really the same as saying another league won't work, its more of the idea of it being a minor league farm type system.  

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

What is this 16 to 18 games stuff?    

THis is the best I can do on short notice and there is no mention in this particular article about adding an additional 5 players per team however it was mentioned at the time by the players. I just can't find that particular article at the moment. You can get the jist though by reading this article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-nfl-shorter-preseason-schedule-20170821-story.html

16 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

THis is the best I can do on short notice and there is no mention in this particular article about adding an additional 5 players per team however it was mentioned at the time by the players. I just can't find that particular article at the moment. You can get the jist though by reading this article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-nfl-shorter-preseason-schedule-20170821-story.html

Are we talking back in 2011 with the new CBA  or more recently?   I don't remember the players asking for more roster spots?  Personally, I hope they just keep 16 games and the current playoff format.  The worst is week 17 when its meaningless.   It could easily get worse if we expand the season.    IDK, I'm good with 63 guys plus IR too ... I already don't know about a dozen guys on the squad, adding more that I don't know doesn't do much for me.  I would go with allowing all 53 to play on Sundays.  You can get more experience for some of these guys right there ... also rest for the starters.   Would be kool to see the kicker and 10 DBs going to cover a kickoff.   Also when the game is in doubt... instead of just replacing 3 OL... I would like to take out all 5.  Or atleast the 4 of JP, Lane, Kelce and Brooks.   3rd and 4th string guys getting time in games and letting 2nd string rest up too.    The 3rd QB  should always be allowed to get in.  

I agree with upping the amount of game day active players. I think it was always a competitive balance thing that the whole 53 doesn’t dress. One team has a bunch of guys that are injured and the other team can out man them. Not sure how major a factor that is anymore. I’m sure Bellicheat could use it to his favor. So I’d go 50 active on game day. Add two extra to the full roster in general to go from 53 to 55 calling them future stars(a spot for two developmental players). 

I was ahead on the preseason. I kept questioning why we cut everybody and then have the meaningless fourth game. The fourth game is most of their perfect opportunity. That’s the preseason game we need them the most. Glad the league accepted this....finally. Always a good call in my book to make cuts after the preseason.

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I only expect him to average 15 carries per year but that's still 8 fumbles per year for the kid. I would be really disappointed if he averaged 8 fumbles a year.

I'm a firm believer that the big Duce will whip him into shape.

So we signed another G from rookie tryouts. We really opened up an open competition for a G this offseason. Almost feels like shades of Vermeil(updated to the modern day). But in the future I’m sure it will look just the same. Having Miller make the team straight from tryouts. Several undrafted guys we brought here...and frankly bought here(we signed one undrafted to the biggest contract in the league of such players). But Miller won the job in tryouts. Got to root for that guy. Anyway would have to call it a stroke of brilliance if we developed a starting G outside of the draft with rookies. Would really test the truth of BPA. 

7 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I'm a firm believer that the big Duce will whip him into shape.

Duce never fumbled...right? I got to look it up now. I just don’t remember him fumbling.