DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

@TD123, I think this article is what you are talking about

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/10/8/17951606/eagles-stefen-wisniewski-feels-bench-performance-related-isaac-seumalo-philadelphia-offensive-line

The part about Peters and Wiz is at the end of the article

Yepper Wrang, that's the one. I had it posted with my orig. Must've slipped through the cracks.

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

The 2018 season was an interesting one for Seumalo to say the least. He replaced Stefen Wisniewskiat left guard in Week 5 of the season and never relinquished it, even through injury in December. The story on the offensive line was the left guard competition between Seumalo and Wisniewski.

Seumalo allowed 21 pressures in 345 pass blocking snaps (one sack, five hits, 15 hurries). He graded at 62.1 by Pro Football Focus (60.6 pass, 61.5 run) in 547 snaps (503 at left guard, 32 at right tackle). By the PFF grades, Seumalo had a better season than Wisniewski...even though the stats showed Wisniewski had a better season in pass protection.

Wrang, from what I've seen in the games it seems to me that Seumalo is the better run blocker and Wis is better at PP. Do the stats resemble that? IDK, it's not really worth my time to look up unless I'm super bored. The coaches are gonna play who they think the better player is given any particular set of circus dances lol

28 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree with upping the amount of game day active players. I think it was always a competitive balance thing that the whole 53 doesn’t dress. One team has a bunch of guys that are injured and the other team can out man them. Not sure how major a factor that is anymore. I’m sure Bellicheat could use it to his favor. So I’d go 50 active on game day. Add two extra to the full roster in general to go from 53 to 55 calling them future stars(a spot for two developmental players). 

I was ahead on the preseason. I kept questioning why we cut everybody and then have the meaningless fourth game. The fourth game is most of their perfect opportunity. That’s the preseason game we need them the most. Glad the league accepted this....finally. Always a good call in my book to make cuts after the preseason.

You serious Ham. They changed final cuts back to after game 4? That would be great. I hate having to risk players that don't need to be playing in that game just because the team is under staffed of young'uns.

41 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Are we talking back in 2011 with the new CBA  or more recently?   I don't remember the players asking for more roster spots?  Personally, I hope they just keep 16 games and the current playoff format.  The worst is week 17 when its meaningless.   It could easily get worse if we expand the season.    IDK, I'm good with 63 guys plus IR too ... I already don't know about a dozen guys on the squad, adding more that I don't know doesn't do much for me.  I would go with allowing all 53 to play on Sundays.  You can get more experience for some of these guys right there ... also rest for the starters.   Would be kool to see the kicker and 10 DBs going to cover a kickoff.   Also when the game is in doubt... instead of just replacing 3 OL... I would like to take out all 5.  Or atleast the 4 of JP, Lane, Kelce and Brooks.   3rd and 4th string guys getting time in games and letting 2nd string rest up too.    The 3rd QB  should always be allowed to get in.  

Here is another article about more options

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/28/an-18-16-regular-season-creates-more-problems-than-solutions/

9 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Wrang, from what I've seen in the games it seems to me that Seumalo is the better run blocker and Wis is better at PP. Do the stats resemble that? IDK, it's not really worth my time to look up unless I'm super bored. The coaches are gonna play who they think the better player is given any particular set of circus dances lol

Well Peters is the body guard however when I stop and think about throwing the ball as a QB and I have my left guard setting up to block at the line of scrimmage ( Wiz and Mathis) versus my LT backing up three steps before he sets up to block, which individual do you think would be harder to throw over? The  6ft 6 guy up at the line or the 6ft 6 guy three steps closer to me? I don't know. Like I said, the body guard is going to the HOF but I blame the fact that these players weren't on the same page on the Offensive line coach. The buck stops there. 

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Well Peters is the body guard however when I stop and think about throwing the ball as a QB and I have my left guard setting up to block at the line of scrimmage ( Wiz and Mathis) versus my LT backing up three steps before he sets up to block, which individual do you think would be harder to throw over? The  6ft 6 guy up at the line or the 6ft 6 guy three steps closer to me? I don't know. Like I said, the body guard is going to the HOF but I blame the fact that these players weren't on the same page on the Offensive line coach. The buck stops there. 

Exactly right IMO. And I think that coach Stoutland made the change (factoring JP's complaint???) from Wis to Seumalo to promote uniformity and effectiveness on the OL. Part of the equation was most likely also that they knew they had a nice prospect and younger guy in Isaac too. The contract extension pretty much confirmed that thought for me.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree with upping the amount of game day active players. I think it was always a competitive balance thing that the whole 53 doesn’t dress. One team has a bunch of guys that are injured and the other team can out man them. Not sure how major a factor that is anymore. I’m sure Bellicheat could use it to his favor. So I’d go 50 active on game day. Add two extra to the full roster in general to go from 53 to 55 calling them future stars(a spot for two developmental players). 

I was ahead on the preseason. I kept questioning why we cut everybody and then have the meaningless fourth game. The fourth game is most of their perfect opportunity. That’s the preseason game we need them the most. Glad the league accepted this....finally. Always a good call in my book to make cuts after the preseason.

Yep.. I can see the competitive balance thing... I think they could easily impose the rule they had with the 3rd QB... he goes in and nobody else can return.   I would designate a few of those players .... Have your 45 ... then just let the other guys go play, but then once they are in, the starter must remain out.    Really, its garbage time stuff.  Or to where you avoid disaster of not having enough from one position.  I don't need to see a WR playing DB ... have the extra DB that would mean one guy can't return.  They could do it.

I was ahead of you all about the preseason ... just have 2 games ... one home game for each team... its enough just to get used to the game day routine, the game itself to me is meaningless, the coaches watch more of practice than they do the games... some of the fans get all excited about the Emanuel Acho types ... August hall of famers.... but other than the prep of going through the routines ... not much value.  2 games then just go back to practice.  

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Exactly right IMO. And I think that coach Stoutland made the change (factoring JP's complaint???) from Wis to Seumalo to promote uniformity and effectiveness on the OL. Part of the equation was most likely also that they knew they had a nice prospect and younger guy in Isaac too. The contract extension pretty much confirmed that thought for me.

And Wis just wasn’t playing as well as his career season in ‘17. So once he took a step back it was obvious to go with the younger player if it was all close to equal. The younger player having the potential and upside still. 

https://teamcolorcodes.com/philadelphia-eagles-color-codes/   FWIW anyone doing a man cave,these are the EXACT Eagles colors and there is an option to buy the paint at the bottom of each color.Get busy before the season starts.Paint your kitchen,you may need to tie up the wife(some like this anyway HAHAHA)

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

IDk how about a 17 game season?Players make enough to play 1 extra game.It's not like they are destitute.In lieu of pay,they get an extra week(10 days or whatever) before OTA's. Since ties in games are few,this would avoid a team going 8-8.They would have to be(barring a tie) 8-9 or 9-8.Thus,barring a tie you either have a winning or losing season.I'm sure I have opened yet another can of worms here.(It's a tough job,but someone has to do it)

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas if they get rid of two preseason games then they would add two regular season games. Is that what you are advocating? The 18 game season? 

Nope.. 2 games in August... it's enough to simulate the game day/ week routine... one game away, the other at home.

Then you get more practice time in. Keep 16 games regular season.  

I think you play both games on the weekend instead of Thursday's..  week 2 & 3 of the current preseason.   You skip Labor day weekend so there is a full 2 weeks to prepare for game 1.  The first preseason game comes to early anyway.  More practice time because you don't have the game day and the days before and afterward.  The real players need that instead of the wastes time playing a series and watching the rest of the game. Do that twice and it's enough.  

They won't do it though until people just don't go to the games... $$$$$ 

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDk how about a 17 game season?Players make enough to play 1 extra game.It's not like they are destitute.In lieu of pay,they get an extra week(10 days or whatever) before OTA's. Since ties in games are few,this would avoid a team going 8-8.They would have to be(barring a tie) 8-9 or 9-8.Thus,barring a tie you either have a winning or losing season.I'm sure I have opened yet another can of worms here.(It's a tough job,but someone has to do it)

So how do you decide who you play in that extra game?  16 fits perfectly now.   

6 vs your division... 4 vs another NFC division... 4 vs an AFC division... then your 2 games vs the other same seeds in the other two divisions.   The odd game throws it off.    Even 18 games... I don't like... I guess they would play 2 NFC divisions and rotate each year?  Or do you play 8 games vs the other conference? 

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

6 vs your division... 4 vs another NFC division... 4 vs an AFC division... then your 2 games vs the other same seeds in the other two divisions.   The odd game throws it off.    Even 18 games... I don't like... I guess they would play 2 NFC divisions and rotate each year?  Or do you play 8 games vs the other conference? 

Hi Joe! Why not 3 games vs the other same seeds in the other 2?

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

top 1/2 of league gets the 17th game(non divisional) as a home game.Would help in any "throwing games" to get a better draft(you may get a better drat spot but you lose a home game doing it)

SOOO you know there could be 17 games by eliminating the bye week.This would also avoid one team being more rested than the other

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Jets have fired GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger, league sources told @jeffdarlington and me. Maccagnan had two years left on his contract. Jets are in position to have strong season thanks to Maccagnan and Heimerdinger.

Geoff Mosher‏Verified account @GeoffMosherNFL

Geoff Mosher Retweeted Adam Schefter

There was buzz in league circles that Joe Douglas could be in Jets' plans if they fired their GM. Douglas and Jets coach Adam Gase worked together in Chicago in 2015, when Douglas was college scouting director and Gase was offensive coordinator.

9 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Hi Joe! Why not 3 games vs the other same seeds in the other 2?

How does that work.  Eagles finished 2nd... they play the NFC north this year... plus the 2nd place teams in the South and West .. Atlanta and Seattle.   How do you play a 3rd game vs 2 teams?  We going to play Seattle or Atlanta twice?  And Dallas can play either the Rams or the Saints twice?    Does that seem fair?

55 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

top 1/2 of league gets the 17th game(non divisional) as a home game.Would help in any "throwing games" to get a better draft(you may get a better drat spot but you lose a home game doing it)

GBFL,  I know we can fit the game.. I don't really care about home or away... my question remains... which team do you play? 

9 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Jets have fired GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger, league sources told @jeffdarlington and me. Maccagnan had two years left on his contract. Jets are in position to have strong season thanks to Maccagnan and Heimerdinger.

Geoff Mosher‏Verified account @GeoffMosherNFL

Geoff Mosher Retweeted Adam Schefter

There was buzz in league circles that Joe Douglas could be in Jets' plans if they fired their GM. Douglas and Jets coach Adam Gase worked together in Chicago in 2015, when Douglas was college scouting director and Gase was offensive coordinator.

Wow... looking at the middle sentence... Jets in position to have a strong season... and then ...YOUR FIRED!   LOL. 

That's the way a winner does things...lol.

Don't want to lose Joe Douglas. Then there's this;

Just months after NFLN Draft Analyst Mike Mayock took the Raiders’ GM job, his replacement Daniel Jeremiah is under serious consideration for a prominent front-office position with the NY Jets, per sources. NFLN Draft Analyst job has become breeding ground for front-office jobs.

5 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Don't want to lose Joe Douglas. Then there's this;

Just months after NFLN Draft Analyst Mike Mayock took the Raiders’ GM job, his replacement Daniel Jeremiah is under serious consideration for a prominent front-office position with the NY Jets, per sources. NFLN Draft Analyst job has become breeding ground for front-office jobs.

I want Joe here also but these guys need to grow to. I like what we have seen from Joe... NFL Network already reporting that Joe is the guy they want.

Joe Douglas is apparently the favorite for Jets GM job....That could really hurt us if he got hired since he also likely takes guys from our scouting department with him....

Also have to wonder what our FO will do with the power structure....Howie is the guy makes final calls but leans heavily on Joe opinion and the rest would he find a guy to be that replacement(is there a guy in the wings we would just promote ??? Sure there has to be)

All I know is how ever our FO is being run right now is working really well would hate to see it get messed up