DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

Jeff McLane‏Verified account @Jeff_McLane

Wrote just weeks ago about Joe Douglas’ future with the #Eagles. Jeffery Lurie has been increasingly tepid about the VP of PP. And with the hiring of Andrew Berry, he had a readymade replacement. That position has been a revolving door under Howie Roseman.

My 2 cents is the more areas we have consistency in, the stronger we'll be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ... hearing about the "relationship" with Gase and Douglas .... doesn't seem like much of one.   One guy was an OC and the othe guy worked in scouting.  Reports were they really didn't work much with each other.    I think if Douglas gets the job, its simply because the Jets like him and what he would bring to their drafting.  They have money to sign free agents and have done so, they could see the drafting as their weakness and want the best guy.   It's why Jerimiah makes sense too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, can anyone explain to me how other franchises are set up? Is the Eagles situation unique with the head bean counter or capologist running the entire show or do most teams have a guy like Douglas in that capacity with the cap expert further down the pecking line. Everyone pretty much knows that Howie isn't going anywhere. He and Jeffery are joined at the hip. Although Howie has earned the respect of most fans with his  expertise in negotiating contracts, if I had to chose the person between him and Douglas to pick my next set of players in the draft, it would be Douglas. JMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Jeff McLane‏Verified account @Jeff_McLane

Wrote just weeks ago about Joe Douglas’ future with the #Eagles. Jeffery Lurie has been increasingly tepid about the VP of PP. And with the hiring of Andrew Berry, he had a readymade replacement. That position has been a revolving door under Howie Roseman.

My 2 cents is the more areas we have consistency in, the stronger we'll be.

At the present time Berry is Vice President of football operations. Right under Howie.  Vice President of player personnel Joe Douglas  is listed under scouting. Andy Weidl  is right under Joe Douglas. For what its worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL,  I know we can fit the game.. I don't really care about home or away... my question remains... which team do you play? 

However they choose them now.Once again it doesn't matter,nothing will be done.Goodell is impotent as a commish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Jeff McLane‏Verified account @Jeff_McLane

Wrote just weeks ago about Joe Douglas’ future with the #Eagles. Jeffery Lurie has been increasingly tepid about the VP of PP. And with the hiring of Andrew Berry, he had a readymade replacement. That position has been a revolving door under Howie Roseman.

My 2 cents is the more areas we have consistency in, the stronger we'll be.

Well we thought the world was ending when we lost 2 coaches before,but we did fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

However they choose them now.Once again it doesn't matter,nothing will be done.Goodell is impotent as a commish

They way they choose them now works with a system of playing 16 games.... doesn't work with 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

They way they choose them now works with a system of playing 16 games.... doesn't work with 17

With all the tech Im sure they could figure it out.Like i said nothing will change so its all moot anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

With all the tech Im sure they could figure it out.Like i said nothing will change so its all moot anyway

????????   You need technology to figure this out ... its simple math .... 6 + 4 +4 + 2 = 16 ... its a big part of trying to make that change.  But I think they go to 18 if they change it... reason why there hasn't been an odd number of games in the schedule since ????? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They way they choose them now works with a system of playing 16 games.... doesn't work with 17

picking an opponent in game 17 would be similar to however they decide what teams bye weeks are(random non divisional) and eliminate the bye week

Just now, joemas6 said:

????????   You need technology to figure this out ... its simple math .... 6 + 4 +4 + 2 = 16 ... its a big part of trying to make that change.  But I think they go to 18 if they change it... reason why there hasn't been an odd number of games in the schedule since ????? 

If you eliminate the bye week that would be 17 games played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

picking an opponent in game 17 would be similar to however they decide what teams bye weeks are(random non divisional) and eliminate the bye week

If you eliminate the bye week that would be 17 games played

OMG with you GBFL .... LOL    We are having 2 different discussions again... in an effort to avoid 3 pages of discussion. I will try again.

I don't care about the 17 weeks and the bye ... not what I am saying.    I'm saying ... the 16 games .. your 16 opponents ... its fits perfectly with how they schedule.... IT'S NOT RANDOM ,,, NOT SHOULD IT BE, THAT'S WHY IT WORKS PERFECLY.

6 games vs your divison
4 games vs another NFC divsion   ...which rotates each year
4 games vs an AFC division ... which rotates each year

This is the same 14 games that you play along with the rest of your teams in the division ... ie Eagles, Cowboys, Giants and Redskins ... all play each other 6 times, the NFC North and the AFC East this year .... same 14 games

PLUS  2 games that are decided FAIRLY ... which are matching up according to your finish    (1st = Dallas, 2nd = Eagles, 3rd = Redskins, 4th = Giants)  ... with the other NFC divisons.   ie the Eagles will play the 2nd place finishers in the NFC South (ATL) and NFC West (Seattle)

My ONLY point ... again ..... the ONLY point I was making ..... nothing about a bye or home field or anything else ... just that now you have to completely change the system because there is no 17th game that can be fit in this system of selecting the opponents.      I asked before ... do we play Seattle or Atlanta twice ???  One of the same seeds?    And then Dallas has to play the Saints or the Rams twice?   Do we play a division opponent 3 times ... if so, which one?   

How do you fairly decide who you play ?   It's not random ... because nothing in the NFL is random.  And it won't fly with the competition committee.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Douglas did say he was happy to be with the Eagles but a GM job would be big. If I'm the front office though I definitely look to sweeten his contract and show him that we truly want him here. Can't say he doesn't deserve the chance to go do it all himself somewhere and wouldn't fault him one bit if he did leave but I truly hope at the end of the day he remains with the Eagles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Douglas did say he was happy to be with the Eagles but a GM job would be big. If I'm the front office though I definitely look to sweeten his contract and show him that we truly want him here. Can't say he doesn't deserve the chance to go do it all himself somewhere and wouldn't fault him one bit if he did leave but I truly hope at the end of the day he remains with the Eagles.  

Me too! However, I guess there are only 32 of those jobs around. Once you actually get one, it is much easier to get one again if you are fired. Hence the re cycled GM's in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Douglas did say he was happy to be with the Eagles but a GM job would be big. If I'm the front office though I definitely look to sweeten his contract and show him that we truly want him here. Can't say he doesn't deserve the chance to go do it all himself somewhere and wouldn't fault him one bit if he did leave but I truly hope at the end of the day he remains with the Eagles.  

I fully expect Douglas to leave ... not necessarily for the Jets though.   The idea is the view of having final say... not really the title.   At the moment, would Gase want final say of the players chosen?????    I think you will see some candidates pass on that Jets job ... but wouldn't surprise me if Douglas leaves for there or anywhere else within the year.   I would think he has one more draft tops here with the Eagles.  50- 50 if he leaves before then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DC, brought up some tweets in another thread .... if its not considered a "REAL GM" job ... the Eagles can block Douglas from taking it.   This is where the Jets will have an issue if Gase wants the control of the roster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More interested in the reality of losing Douglas and Berry's value than any of the misc bs. What are Berrys' strengths?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry kids, but Howie's still not the football guy, that's Douglas. Had a chace to think and you know what? Maybe that's a position where consistency isn't good. Knowing who's current is more important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is funny. Give you guys something to actually think about and you're mum. Misc BS and you go on forever. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

More interested in the reality of losing Douglas and Berry's value than any of the misc bs. What are Berrys' strengths?

This was the move. We’ve been seeing it coming with Douglas being mentioned for these jobs already. Hoping he isn’t able to poach our remade top scouts. Plenty of levels and opinions to bend an ear to. All the scouts, coaches, analytics experts, owner...all coming to that top personnel guy and Rosie. It really could just be more about filtering all that information for Berry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our coaches always seem to be very active in scouting. Seems you always hear so and so was running the drafted kid through his drills at his Pro Day. Stout, Duce....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I fully expect Douglas to leave ... not necessarily for the Jets though.   The idea is the view of having final say... not really the title.   At the moment, would Gase want final say of the players chosen?????    I think you will see some candidates pass on that Jets job ... but wouldn't surprise me if Douglas leaves for there or anywhere else within the year.   I would think he has one more draft tops here with the Eagles.  50- 50 if he leaves before then.  

It really does matter what ‘weight’ you get with the title. But that dynamic usually plays out regardless inside the buildings. A guy like Chip Kelly is this ‘know it all’ that it has to be that way. But Gase isn’t entrenched yet. Not like Rosie here with Pedey coming in being hired by him. But I believe Pedey gets a good amount of influence in. Been growing each year they work together. And that’s however it plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

That is funny. Give you guys something to actually think about and you're mum. Misc BS and you go on forever. Sad.

What is it we're supposed to be thinking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duce was in on every RB action. Problem is absence creates a vacuum - if Douglas leaves, even if Berry can fill the void ( although I know nothing abouy him - yet ), he will take others with him. Missing one person is one thing, guess we can call it collateral damage when they take others with, plus the effect that has on the players they brought here plus the players they could bring. Douglas has been here a few yrs, I would want to grab someone who would attract the current players.

Not doing it tonight, will see what Berry has done - honestly know nothing a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now