DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Well and you know it still will take time to effectively grade Douglas job performance. This was a big draft. We had good picks in a great first two days draft. So Dillard, Sanders and JAWA is his pinnacle draft. Miller being the wild card and a big weighted pick I’d say( Stacked first two days so most will get good players from this draft. And Thorson I’m thinking is more on Pedey signing off.) Brought in Goedert and Maddox. Can Sweat, Pryor and Mailata come through? The class of 2017 is huge! Barnett, Jones, Douglas, Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson and Gerry. Tough call on that one still. I like Barnett. Thought he was coming on...then got injured. I’d definitely like to see more. Jones was a bold pick. He kind of really needs to pay off. Douglas we are right on the positive side of accomplishment. A bit more opportunity and maybe he delivers. Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson, Gerry have produced squat. Hollins and Gerry at least had some tiny ST contribution. To me, to give Douglas, or the whole draft crew really, a very positive grade ................................................I need to see more....much more. I expect it...but I’m mostly an optimistic fan. We need double the production from these guys.

29 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well and you know it still will take time to effectively grade Douglas job performance. This was a big draft. We had good picks in a great first two days draft. So Dillard, Sanders and JAWA is his pinnacle draft. Miller being the wild card and a big weighted pick I’d say( Stacked first two days so most will get good players from this draft. And Thorson I’m thinking is more on Pedey signing off.) Brought in Goedert and Maddox. Can Sweat, Pryor and Mailata come through? The class of 2017 is huge! Barnett, Jones, Douglas, Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson and Gerry. Tough call on that one still. I like Barnett. Thought he was coming on...then got injured. I’d definitely like to see more. Jones was a bold pick. He kind of really needs to pay off. Douglas we are right on the positive side of accomplishment. A bit more opportunity and maybe he delivers. Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson, Gerry have produced squat. Hollins and Gerry at least had some tiny ST contribution. To me, to give Douglas, or the whole draft crew really, a very positive grade ................................................I need to see more....much more. I expect it...but I’m mostly an optimistic fan. We need double the production from these guys.

Double the production from who? Hard to produce from the bench lol

Berry helped lead all talent evaluation efforts for the Browns, transforming the team from zero wins in 2017 to seven wins in 2018. He's part of the brass responsible for taking Baker Mayfield at No. 1 overall along with Denzel Ward at No. 4 and Nick Chubb in the second round of last year's draft. Barry was also influential in the trade for Jarvis Landry and several Browns free agent signings over the last two years.

6 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

Douglas did say he was happy to be with the Eagles but a GM job would be big. If I'm the front office though I definitely look to sweeten his contract and show him that we truly want him here. Can't say he doesn't deserve the chance to go do it all himself somewhere and wouldn't fault him one bit if he did leave but I truly hope at the end of the day he remains with the Eagles.  

I could swear I read somewhere that we just gave Joe an increase after the SB... he is already getting paid like a GM...lol.  Joe needs to grow, I think Howie recognizes his limitations... knows having a Football guy helps.

19 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Just so all know Arcega- Whiteside starts off at JAWA to me....with the opportunity to become JAWS!

Whats a JAWA?

Chiefs traded for Darron Lee from the Jets for a sixth round pick. I know we supposedly have been linked to him. What a bargain.  Interesting the Gase showing who’s boss already I guess. Not sure that is much of an opportunity for Douglas.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Chiefs traded for Darron Lee from the Jets for a sixth round pick. I know we supposedly have been linked to him. What a bargain.  Interesting the Gase showing who’s boss already I guess. Not sure that is much of an opportunity for Douglas.

I would have given up a 6th he would get more then that in a comp pick the following year.or we sign him longer.

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sorry kids, but Howie's still not the football guy, that's Douglas. Had a chace to think and you know what? Maybe that's a position where consistency isn't good. Knowing who's current is more important. 

LOL, you mean your not poundin' down another bottle of that good screwdriver fuel? Sorry bud, couldn't possibly resist myself.

For me, I'll take the consistency. I have confidence that Mr. Lurie knows what he's doing. Even with that said, I don't want that strategically planned FO to fall apart. As long as Douglas would be rplc'd with someone who knows to go right or left at the fork in the road I'd be fine with that. Eagles are finally rising to a level of prominence.

12 hours ago, joemas6 said:

How does that work.  Eagles finished 2nd... they play the NFC north this year... plus the 2nd place teams in the South and West .. Atlanta and Seattle.   How do you play a 3rd game vs 2 teams?  We going to play Seattle or Atlanta twice?  And Dallas can play either the Rams or the Saints twice?    Does that seem fair?

LOL, sorry. Didn't mean to waste your time with not thinking.

12 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

That is funny. Give you guys something to actually think about and you're mum. Misc BS and you go on forever. Sad.

MJK, I am looking at this situation with Douglas as something that money can't buy.  Joe is Nick Foles and Roseman is Carson Wentz. Joe wants to be a starting QB and there is no way that it is going to happen in Philly. Roseman is Lurie's adopted son.  It would be like offering Foles more money than he is getting at Jacksonville to remain the backup with the Eagles. Foles would have turned it down to go to Jacksonville and start. Joe also knows that know matter how well he does in the draft room, Roseman ultimately gets the credit because he is the Executive Vice President / GM of the club. I personally believe Douglas had a lot to do with the Eagles winning their first Super Bowl and I also believe Douglas is responsible for the Eagles new philosophy with the importance of supplemental draft picks. He brought that Ravens philosophy over with him. So, I guess what I am saying is, when Joe eventually leaves for what he believes are greener pastures, I won't be crying because he left, I will be smiling because he chose to come here at all. We did win a Super Bowl because of it. 

Technically, HR is VP of operations and no one is the GM. Why not give that title to Douglas and a raise to suit? He still makes the same calls but now gets credit for them...... I do not think HR is all that control freak he used to be. He learned his lesson about how to Delegate and has done a great job of it....

11 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Just so all know Arcega- Whiteside starts off at JAWA to me....with the opportunity to become JAWS!

Ham, I loved Star Wars, but the Jawa's were short little people. How do you get JAWA for Whiteside who is 6-3?

43 minutes ago, stine said:

Technically, HR is VP of operations and no one is the GM. Why not give that title to Douglas and a raise to suit? He still makes the same calls but now gets credit for them...... I do not think HR is all that control freak he used to be. He learned his lesson about how to Delegate and has done a great job of it....

Hi Stine, Articles like this one is why Joe Douglas must move on. No matter what he does for the club, Howie gets the credit.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/01/eagles-howie-roseman-is-the-best-gm-in-the-nfl-and-it-showed-in-sundays-win-over-chicago-bears.html

Well, I hope your assessment is inaccurate Wrang. I would hate to see Joe go.... I think they are also looking at the Bears Scout.... The Bears have done great in the draft the past few years....

Douglas may not presently feel the NYJ position is that stable with Gase.  Yes, they do have talent but if they don't come through in winning and Gase goes Miami 2.0 where does that leave Douglas with a potential new coach possibly being hired maybe two years down the road?  Owner may not want to hire Douglas as a buddy of Gase .

5 minutes ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

Douglas may not presently feel the NYJ position is that stable with Gase.  Yes, they do have talent but if they don't come through in winning and Gase goes Miami 2.0 where does that leave Douglas with a potential new coach possibly being hired maybe two years down the road?  Owner may not want to hire Douglas as a buddy of Gase .

If douglas can do a repeat of what he did here and as you say Gase is "shaky" are they setting themselves up for Douglas to be in a higher position? Similarly to drafting for the future you can also plan your staff of the future

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thought that was Jaba?

Sorry,since I am deaf,I don't go to movies,so references to movies just fly over my head

1 hour ago, stine said:

Ham, I loved Star Wars, but the Jawa's were short little people. How do you get JAWA for Whiteside who is 6-3?

Rookies get no credit from me. Go earn a better nickname. If he starts eating up TDs then I’ll be calling him JAWS. I don’t play the potential game. Show me!

Read in a post on BGN twit acc't Lurie was a bit "tepid" about Douglas.

Good workaround Stine. Douglas does deserve the promotion, just would like him to stay another SB or 3

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Read in a post on BGN twit acc't Lurie was a bit "tepid" about Douglas.

Good workaround Stine. Douglas does deserve the promotion, just would like him to stay another SB or 3

Think we have a "culture" here.And if he leaves you don't think we can find a like replacement? Remember when the sky was falling cause we lost Fipp? Was there a severe drop off here?(yes Fipp did have that one miraculous season).Ped never even coached before.Who else do we know about? lol