DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

TD, hope your feet on fire is not from neuropathy!!  Have a clse friend on 1,800 mg of I believe Gabropinton (sp?)

On 5/16/2019 at 5:43 PM, Don Corleone said:

So, off the Shorr-Parks subject. 

Tim McManus had Joel Corry on his podcast this morning, when Tim asked him to project what Wentz's deal would look like, Corry said:

"I said if Philadelphia can get him for $32 million per year, I know that sounds high, that's the average of the top 5 deals right now. Roughly $90 million in overall guarantees, with about $75 million fully guaranteed at signing, they should call that a day and be happy with that. As strange as that may sound."

When McManus asked about years, Corry's reply was:

"Well, from what we've seen, Russell Wilson's played it the right way, from the standpoint that, he's done 4 year deals, 4 new years when I say 4 year deals, 4 year extensions. I wouldn't give up any more than 4 new years, even though, Philadelphia has gotten Lane Johnson and Fletcher Cox to go longer than that. But, the way the market has changed with the QB position so dramatically the past couple of years, I would go shorter. So, if I could give up 4 new years, great and then you get another bite of the apple, sooner rather than later, which is always what you should do with a good to great player. Because the more bites of the apple you can get as market conditions change, you're in a position to take advantage of that."

Corry also talked about protections the Eagles could use in the event that Wentz is hurt a gain, in the form of per game roster bonuses.

Here's a link for anyone interested

https://omny.fm/shows/embedded-with-tim-mcmanus/embedded-with-tim-mcmanus-an-eagles-podcast-may-16

DC,

This is why I think it's a complicated issue with this Wentz extension.  Looking at this idea of $32 mil per season ( which I don't look at NFL contracts on a per season level , because they aren't that simple when a signing bonus is involved)   .... but why would the Eagles do it?  They have cap concerns over the next 2 seasons, not really after that?   They coul take the low cap hits the next 2 years and then fluff the contract up in 2021 to keep the low cap hits the following 2 years.   There are the 4 years this guy mentioned,  yet with much lower cap hits.  

It won't cost the Eagles more long term... because of the huge cap savings in the beginning.   The only downside is if the franchise tag gets taken away and they lose that control in 2021? Otherwise it doesn't make financial sense.   Nothing to do about injury.  $$$$. 

If I have you for $8. This year....$22 next year.   Why would I pay you $32 per year over the next 4 years?  Injury has nothing to do with it.

In year 3... I'll give you $200 over the next 4 years... but I will fluff the contract up with the signing bonus to give you $$ up front, but I'm still keeping my ( cap hit) below $32 in years 3 and 4.  

I'm redoing the deal again by 2023-24... and lowering the cap hits again.  Probably not going over $32 mil in cap hit until 2025.   

You can talk about guarantee $$ all you want, the team focus, especially Howie is always on the cap hits. This is why I don't pay attention to what any media guy says in regards to contracts,  they just don't get the #s

11 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Feet are on fire keepin' me up. Nothin' better to do than surf. Mic'd-up SB LII highlights - NFL Films Presents:

Not biased,that was the best SB I have ever seen(and im old lol)

BTW when I die,15 secs before I go,I will remember the Philly Special and pass with a smile.An UNdrafted ROOKIE RB,pitching to a 3rd string TE who tosses it to a BU QB.Does it get any better than that?

HAHA we are being overlooked again HAHAHAHA.Was watching NFL total access.They had 10 QB's on the board,out of those they picked what they thought were the top 5 going into 2019.Wentz was not even on the board(and I seriously think they blew that one lol).Is he a top 5? Remains to be seen,is he a top 10?,I would say definitely should be in the conversation with the weapons at his disposal.In fantasy I would have zero problem taking Wentz or Mayfield as my starting QB

Hi NJ69! Yeah, it's like neuropathy, but not from diabetes. I had a full blood work up. Still tryin' to figure out the cause. You're right, Gabapentin (neurontin) is the leading med for that. Thanks for inquiring! 

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

BTW when I die,15 secs before I go,I will remember the Philly Special and pass with a smile.An UNdrafted ROOKIE RB,pitching to a 3rd string TE who tosses it to a BU QB.Does it get any better than that?

Nope, doesn't get ANY better than that!

19 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Feet are on fire keepin' me up. Nothin' better to do than surf. Mic'd-up SB LII highlights - NFL Films Presents:

Just lovely .....yeeesssssss....just lovely... thank you TD123💪🏿💪🏿

1 minute ago, trini said:

Just lovely .....yeeesssssss....just lovely... thank you TD123💪🏿💪🏿

You bet bud! Glad you enjoyed it. That's why I put it up.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Chris Long retired today

Gonna miss your leadership and camaraderie.... best wishes to you and your family brother.

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

The first one is the sweetest...for it to happen against the most formidable QB in generations against a team that had been unbeatable... a team expected to beat my UNDERDOG Birds...ooooohhhhhhhh how sweet that was.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Chris Long retired today

Looks like the Eagles couldn't persuade him to come back after all.   The fact it took this long for him to make it official says a lot about how players want to be in that locker room. 

Watch how successful he will be bringing clean water to Africa...  his current project.   What's bad for the NFL will be great for the rest of the world.  Good luck Chris!

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Looks like the Eagles couldn't persuade him to come back after all.   The fact it took this long for him to make it official says a lot about how players want to be in that locker room. 

Watch how successful he will be bringing clean water to Africa...  his current project.   What's bad for the NFL will be great for the rest of the world.  Good luck Chris!

Maybe he comes back later here as a coach?

21 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Not biased,that was the best SB I have ever seen(and im old lol)

TBT,my daughter is a Pats fan(must be her moms genes).I flew her in from NC for this game.There were some Pats fans at the nest that night.By nights end daughter was pulling for the Eagles.I may convert her yet.She said "Dad these guys are great"(referring to my birds). I said "both teams are great,Pats have been for quite awhile" Then I said "the true test of a fan is to suffer through the losing seasons,not just root for a team BECAUSE they win all the time" Then she said "IDK how you guys even got here with a BU QB and beat up players". "Told her because the bird gang never gives up and we have one thing pats fans never will-HEART" 🙂

DE-I would kick the tires on Derrick Shelby(Falcons).He's 30,should have some gas left in the tank and should be fine as a rotational player

14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Long and Connor Barwin team up to do some charity work together. They both admire each others dedication to their particular charities. 

So we have Curry and DeSean who couldn't wait to get back here.  Malik Jackson wanting to play next to Cox.  Jernigan and Wiz excited to be back.  A Philly kid drafted,  another local signed as a top UDFA.

Chris Long couldn't even retire right away even though all the beat writers were clearly thinking he was mentally done and moving on with his off the field work.  

The Eagles are creating the proper environment to be successful in what I think will be the future of the NFL with the salary cap increasing.   Great free agents aren't going to hit the open, with that quality dropping,  the vets looking for that one year prove it deal and wanting to play for a winner and a great organization... those will be the key guys to sign.   Still comes down to drafting well though.  But kudos to Lurie and company for building the current environment. 

Long is too involved in his other endeavors to focus on being a 2nd stinger - true. He could be a full time starter elsewhere - true. The Eagles did not feel he could fill a full time roll AND we rotate a lot - true. So when all else is true, the talking heads get it all wrong - that also is true.

Good luck in all you do Chris. It's an honor just to appreciate you not just as a fan, but a real person doing things more important than football. Be well.