DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Kelce is one of the most underappreciated. Not here in my corner though! I love watching him get downfield and clearing the way.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

What can I say? But... you and the giants are wrong. You take Sam Darnold....not Barkley. And so I do blame Gettleman and the giants.  Barkley being better than Jacobs isn’t anything we are remotely talking about here.

Personally I would have drafted an offensive line before either. You can't survive as a QB without a line and it helps a running game. I would have taken 2 offensive linemen this year and drafted my QB next year (since it's a better QB class). Barkley is worthy of being drafted where he was but I would have taken the lineman 1st.

during the PFF era, teams with elite coverage (67th percentile or better) and a poor pass rush (33rd percentile or worse) win, on average, about a game and a half more than teams with the reverse construction. Thus, is the correct conclusion that coverage > pass rush? 

One quote from that article

26 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Personally I would have drafted an offensive line before either. You can't survive as a QB without a line and it helps a running game. I would have taken 2 offensive linemen this year and drafted my QB next year (since it's a better QB class). Barkley is worthy of being drafted where he was but I would have taken the lineman 1st.

You definitely need  Oline. But you just don’t come across the second overall pick often. Oline makes both run and pass easier, no doubt. But the QB is esssentially the brains of the whole offense. It all runs through him. If you have one bad Oline at least you can give double team help. How do you help bad QBing? And frankly good QB play makes Oline and RB look better.

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And No Mas my point, I think you concur, is that I take the QB first priority. Sam Darnold was there for the taking. I take Darnold over Barkley. Or with the cowboys....they took Elliott and then later landed on Prescott. But they still will end up paying the lesser QB near 30 mil a season is my prediction. Im all about getting the best QB I can. A second round RB like Sanders I can work with more. But I want the top signal caller I can get my hands on. Good luck giants with the Duke kid instead of Darnold so you could run with Barkley.

100%

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you didn’t see him following her stalking her where her only option was to hunt  down the security guards? And he still tried to get in the middle of that even. But then he walked away from them....only to run into the other security guy.

From the unedited footage on NFL live... it appears Zeke walked about 20-30 feet from the middle over to the staff near the railings to talk crap.  On this edited version you see the girl there, but I think she follows Zeke to prevent him from doing anything stupid.  I didn't see her near the staff on that unedited version, more so following Zeke.

He was pretty ignorant, she really didn't need to complain.  She might have, but the original impression I got from the unedited version seemed like Staff were talking to him from a far to either try to calm him down or leave. 

When he makes the b line directly at the one staff, it looks much worse when unedited.   He walked with a purpose to start something. 

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Personally I believe Quenton Nelson was the best player in that whole draft class. But STILL I take Mayfield and Darnold before the G. Nelson has been huge for the Colts. But because they already had their franchise QB.

Yep... I remember saying in hindsight... the better RB / OL combo was probably Nelson and Chubb ... over Barkley and Hernandez.   And to me, Barkley is a stud... I think Nelson is just on another level.   Dude is a beast.  Could be best lineman in the league for a decade. 

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You definitely need  Oline. But you just don’t come across the second overall pick often. Oline makes both run and pass easier, no doubt. But the QB is esssentially the brains of the whole offense. It all runs through him. If you have one bad Oline at least you can give double team help. How do you help bad QBing? And frankly good QB play makes Oline and RB look better.

Have you seen the Giants offensive line for the last few years it has been atrocious. They needed 4 new guys last year and overpaid for an old LT that is past his prime but just average and slow. Traded for Zeitler and drafted Hernandez last year. Signed a guy after the draft that has been on 6 teams in 6 years to play RT this year. Though most his time with 2 teams. They still need a T and C. They could have gotten both this year in Johan Williams and Grarrett Bradbury. Drafted a QB next year and been set.

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep... I remember saying in hindsight... the better RB / OL combo was probably Nelson and Chubb ... over Barkley and Hernandez.   And to me, Barkley is a stud... I think Nelson is just on another level.   Dude is a beast.  Could be best lineman in the league for a decade. 

Nelson is a Colt Chubb is a Brown

Yeah... I think Ham is talking about the Giants 18 draft and DWD about the 19 draft.  Which I agree with both of you... especially considering what people think of the Duke QB.  He is the key to the Giants future.  

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

Nelson is a Colt Chubb is a Brown

Right... but the Giants could have taken both ... instead of Barkley and Hernandez.  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... I think Ham is talking about the Giants 18 draft and DWD about the 19 draft.  Which I agree with both of you... especially considering what people think of the Duke QB.  He is the key to the Giants future.  

Right... but the Giants could have taken both ... instead of Barkley and Hernandez.  

I said I would have built the line before drafting the QB or RB. You put Solder, Nelson, Bradbury, Zeitler, Williams out there let's say they take Chubbs, Johnson or Guise last year and then I don't care if I have to give up what the Eagles did for Wentz for a QB next year your team is set.

Yes and the combination of the ‘18 and ‘19 draft for the Giants is the kicker. You don’t take the franchise guy in ‘18 so you can force the pick in ‘19.

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

I said I would have built the line before drafting the QB or RB. You put Solder, Nelson, Bradbury, Zeitler, Williams out there let's say they take Chubbs, Johnson or Guise last year and then I don't care if I have to give up what the Eagles did for Wentz for a QB next year your team is set.

You replace Solder with a FA LT in a few years and fill your holes on D in FA they could have been contenders next year.

Just now, downwithdallas said:

They have no defense. Far from a set team. But it’s hard to trade up to get a franchise QB. How much did we spend to get Wentz? I can’t even remember everything it cost. They were just sitting at the two pick with a very good QB option in Darnold. Bradbury they could have picked with their second pick even in the first this year. Getting a hold of a Luck, Goff, Wentz, Mayfield or Darnold is near impossible. When you have the second pick and need a QB you had better be sure there isn’t a franchise guy on the table. In 2019 draft I didn’t think there was a guy worth the two pick. 2018 you had to take a shot on Darnold.

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

They have no defense. Far from a set team. But it’s hard to trade up to get a franchise QB. How much did we spend to get Wentz? I can’t even remember everything it cost. They were just sitting at the two pick with a very good QB option in Darnold. Bradbury they could have picked with their second pick even in the first this year. Getting a hold of a Luck, Goff, Wentz, Mayfield or Darnold is near impossible. When you have the second pick and need a QB you had better be sure there isn’t a franchise guy on the table. In 2019 draft I didn’t think there was a guy worth the two pick. 2018 you had to take a shot on Darnold.

I'm definitely not as high on Darnold as you are. I wouldn't think of comparing him to them yet. They did just fine in picking Barkley he could be the next Barry Sanders if we are comparing. I still would have traded back and drafted Nelson and acquired more picks for the future. 

11 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Or take the franchise QB at two(which is near impossible to get) Darnold. Then a Oline. This year take Dillard and Bradbury with any RB you want in the second or even third. Gives you a franchise QB, three top young Oline and a solid starting RB. And I’m a year ahead of you and don’t need to give up every draft pick to get my franchise QB next year.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

What can I say? But... you and the giants are wrong. You take Sam Darnold....not Barkley. And so I do blame Gettleman and the giants.  Barkley being better than Jacobs isn’t anything we are remotely talking about here.

OH so your not a BPA guy after all

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

QB is the most important position in the game. I want the best one I can get my hands on.

And every rook QB comes out smoking? They were committed to Eli for another year anyhow,so why not take the best RB available? Did Darnold win a title I missed?? 

36 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Have you seen the Giants offensive line for the last few years it has been atrocious. They needed 4 new guys last year and overpaid for an old LT that is past his prime but just average and slow. Traded for Zeitler and drafted Hernandez last year. Signed a guy after the draft that has been on 6 teams in 6 years to play RT this year. Though most his time with 2 teams. They still need a T and C. They could have gotten both this year in Johan Williams and Grarrett Bradbury. Drafted a QB next year and been set.

Yeah their O line has been shaky for awhile

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OH so your not a BPA guy after all

Like I said BPA for me was Nelson. And I don’t pretend to be a BPA guy. I did think it wise with the 2019 draft. Because of our positioning and the draft depth. For that situation specifically this season.  But I was all about trading up for Wentz. Have to do it. I don’t want to chase the Bradford’s, Kennums and Cousins of the league. Got to get the best franchise QB guy you can get.

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

And every rook QB comes out smoking? They were committed to Eli for another year anyhow,so why not take the best RB available? Did Darnold win a title I missed?? 

I don’t care about one season. A QB you figure goes for a dozen years.

Passing Statistics

Passing
Year Team G Att Cmp Pct Yds YPA TD TD% Int Int% Lg Sack Loss Rate
2015 Duke (FBS) 0 0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0.0
2016 Duke (FBS) 12 430 270 62.8 2,836 6.6 16 3.7 9 2.1 64t 28 149 126.3
2017 Duke (FBS) 12 453 257 56.7 2,691 5.9 14 3.1 11 2.4 58t 28 198 112.0
2018 Duke (FBS) 10 392 237 60.5 2,674 6.8 22 5.6 9 2.3 85t 28 172 131.7
  TOTALS (FBS) 34 1,275 764 59.9 8,201 6.4 52 4.1 29 2.3 85t 84 519 122.9

* College statistics are available for FBS teams (formerly Division I-A) from 2005-2018

Of coarse I don’t think BPA is what happened for us this year. Traded up for Dillard. You can call that BPA if you want. But Sanders, JAWA  and Thorson were positional picks. Probably say Miller too but there are other factors around him.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Like I said BPA for me was Nelson. And I don’t pretend to be a BPA guy. I did think it wise with the 2019 draft. Because of our positioning and the draft depth. For that situation specifically this season.  But I was all about trading up for Wentz. Have to do it. I don’t want to chase the Bradford’s, Kennums and Cousins of the league. Got to get the best franchise QB guy you can get.

I don’t care about one season. A QB you figure goes for a dozen years.

SO why can't Daniels be "that guy"?