DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

You didn't think you'd find anything here did you? Of course I have no idea if here is really here anymore. Where are we?

14 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

You didn't think you'd find anything here did you? Of course I have no idea if here is really here anymore. Where are we?

There is no spoon.

29 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

There is no spoon.

29 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

There is no spoon.

I'm lost on this,what are we talkin about?

"Wherever I go,there I am"

I was quoting a reference in The Matrix, where things are only what your mind believes them to be. ?

wow new smileys! I'll forget all about the forums being non-existent now that there's new emojis!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/31/corey-nelson-ready-to-compete-for-mychal-kendricks-old-job/

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, joemas6 said:

I agree 100% with HAM.  This year they finally addressed LB.  Bradham and Nelson, then Worrilow    (Im sure I spelled names wrong)   

Anyway... Kendricks was way overpaid... that's why we couldn't get a 5th round pick for him.   I mean, get even a 7th round pick or get nothing.... don;t you think Howie or anyone else with a functioning brain would take the draft pick?  Obviously Kendricks had no trade value.  He had like a top 10-15 contract for a #3 LB who plays a quarter of the plays barring injury (which you can't just assume from Hicks ... he played 3 years and got hurt twice.... Kelce was the same to start his career)  Kendricks himself was always banged up with a soft muscle injury.   This was a no brainer.  Especially with Nelson coming here for pretty decent money, to pay a backup LB $1.6 mil didn't make sense, especially with the Eagles cap and playing time situation... so its obvious Nelson was brought here to start.   

To me this move was obvious... they did Kendricks a solid so he can get a head start with his new team, and choose where he wants to go.  They could have held out incase of injury to maybe get a late round pick from someone... but they seem to look to take care of the player lately.  

Well, Kendkicks had an awesome year playing in the 3-4. I feel it was mostly fit that forced him to the sidelines the past 2 years. When he was healthy in the 3-4 he wasn't required to cover much(but played well when he did!) and most of the time he just pinned his ears back and went after the QB. That is his strength and any decent DC will see that. You all are saying we addressed the LB by addition. I say, Addition means nothing if they can't contribute. Most of the additions were ST players. There was a reason for that IMO. The Eagles could have 20 LBS and have not addressed the position if no one can help out when Hicks goes down again, which will probably happen. I am not sold here. We have PS to go thru for me to change my mind, but I am not sold we are better at LB.

Hi Stine!

I agree that it's entirely possible that Hicks does have something happen again. Love the guy but he's kinda like Ryan Matthews of LB's.

1 minute ago, Swoopin' said:

He's gonna get it too. I think this guy is going to turn heads. Everything I've read indicates he is starter-capable-willing-and-able and quite possibly an upgrade.

Based on what? This is his 5th year. He has started a grand total of 6 games. has 1 sack and 6 passes defensed. I don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

Hi Stine!

I agree that it's entirely possible that Hicks does have something happen again. Love the guy but he's kinda like Ryan Matthews of LB's.

Hey Swoop!!  Hope all is well in your world. Going to the Panthers game this year if anyone wants to meet up at the tail gate. I will probably make ribs again...

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Hey Swoop!!  Hope all is well in your world. Going to the Panthers game this year if anyone wants to meet up at the tail gate. I will probably make ribs again...

Hey bud, thanks. Things are hit and miss at the moment wrt to work, but as long as everybody's healthy that's all that matters. Carolina sounds fun! Hope it's all good with you!

4 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

Hi Stine!

Don't get me wrong Swoop. I would like nothing more to be wrong here. I hope we are 2 deep at all 3 positions! I just am looking at the reality of who we brought in. For what we aske Kendricks to do, he did great. Swartz did not know how to use him, thus he was expendable. He seems to not like Douglas either, as Douglas has had no snaps at Safety, a position we could use plenty of Depth at. Douglas has been delegated to the outside CB. That position will be taken by two of the Darby, Mills, Jones trio...

Yeah, the CB position is frustrating, in a good way, but nonetheless it's...something we're definitely not used to. lol  Now throw Bausby into the mix who is apparently turning heads and the new guy Maddox at depth and all of a sudden we're short in other areas and overkilled in some others. Quite possible that Howie makes some moves within the next month if ya ask me.

Swoop, in 2013 Kendricks had 5 pass defensed, 3 INT, 2 FF, 4 FR, 4 sacks and 86 tackles playing in a 3-4. Those totals are better than Nelson's career.....

So tell me he could not defend. That is an excuse if you ask me. We all just agree with what everyone writes instead of watching games he played well in 2013/2014...

I guess we'll see. There's a lot of indication out there that Nelson can be better in coverage than Kendricks . Maybe it's just optimistic homerism by the authors but a lot of what I see out there convinces me that Nelson will do just fine in 20% of the snaps.

Don't get me wrong by any means, I liked Kendricks and considered him a huge part in the SB. I didn't necessarily want to see HIM go, I wanted to see his cap hit go.

wait, you added more. lol
Kendricks was good, I've never said he wasn't. His skillset wasn't best utilized, for whatever Schwartz's reasons. If we got someone that fits the Schwartz model moreso, more power to us. I'm not dissing Kendricks at all though.

In case you missed the Kempski take:
http://www.phillyvoice.com/relax-eagles-defense-wont-implode-mychal-kendricks-gone/

edit #2: Keep in mind, I was the one saying draft a LB and taking all kinds of hell for it on here. :D

I wanted a LB in the draft also. This position seems to always be addressed last, where Pittsburgh seems to make it a priority. That is based on Philosophy I guess.... Baltimore and Carolina also seem to covet LBs...

Thankfully, we've got a front office we can have faith in. So however they play it out, i'm confident!  (not gonna stop me from wanting to be 3 starters deep at every position though!)