DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Hey GB, I remember you getting angry with the NFL teams playing in London and hurting venders and etc financially. Maybe the players can rectify that in the next agreement. The players don't like Thursday night football either. Another opportunity to change that with negotiations. Something else most fans never consider. I think last year the NFL signed another 8 year agreement with NIKE to supply NFL uniforms. Yes, the same NIKE that has an international workforce made up of 80 percent women who they pay an average salary of 150.00 a month. The same NIKE that pays its women in their Viet Nam plant 34.00 dollars a week for a 65 hour work week to make sneakers that they sell for 140.00 dollars a pair.  The same NIKE that is paying athletes who are kneeling for human rights millions in endorsements at the expense of other workers. Yep, I would say that there is plenty to get resolved going forward.

LOL none of that is going to happen.

There's too much $$$$$$ involved for them to cancel the Thursday games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

LOL none of that is going to happen.

There's too much $$$$$$ involved for them to cancel the Thursday games.

The owners want an extra regular season game. What are they willing to give up for it?  I won't pretend that I am in their inter circle like you but I have been involved in some negotiations in my working career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The owners want an extra regular season game. What are they willing to give up for it?  I won't pretend that I am in their inter circle like you but I have been involved in some negotiations in my working career.

:rolleyes: Yeah that's what I'm doing. You're being naive if you think Thursday games are going away and that they'll force Nike to change their business tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

:rolleyes: Yeah that's what I'm doing. You're being naive if you think Thursday games are going away and that they'll force Nike to change their business tactics.

I just happen to believe that the owners are greedy. JMO Whenever you are dealing with greedy people and offer them a way to be even greedier they usually jump on it. If there is a way for owners to make a lot of extra money by having a 17 game regular season with all the extra revenue by it and all they have to do is go back to Sunday and Monday night games, I say greed takes offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

They did the same thing the last time the CBA was set to expire.

Yeah similar to the hockey debacle.I quit watching hockey until THIS year lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Hey GB, I remember you getting angry with the NFL teams playing in London and hurting venders and etc financially. Maybe the players can rectify that in the next agreement. The players don't like Thursday night football either. Another opportunity to change that with negotiations. Something else most fans never consider. I think last year the NFL signed another 8 year agreement with NIKE to supply NFL uniforms. Yes, the same NIKE that has an international workforce made up of 80 percent women who they pay an average salary of 150.00 a month. The same NIKE that pays its women in their Viet Nam plant 34.00 dollars a week for a 65 hour work week to make sneakers that they sell for 140.00 dollars a pair.  The same NIKE that is paying athletes who are kneeling for human rights millions in endorsements at the expense of other workers. Yep, I would say that there is plenty to get resolved going forward.

I agree... Nike isn't on my list though.   Nor do I think the players or the owners really care either because it doesn't benefit one side while penalizing the other.   That's a separate issue.  Very noble cause and concern, but not relevant to the CBA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trini said:

Leagilized gambling... Pathetic, Corrupt Public Officials and Politicians  are First in line when it comes to ruining this country. Of course this Upcoming fight ain’t about fans... it’s about MORE money for the Owners and scraps for the players. Greed rules the day. Got NOTHING to do with honor or Character it’s about the OWNERS keeping as much and power that they can. If it wasn’t for unions most people would NEVER earn a decent wage, if it was left SOLELY to management to pay their employees... Many would still earn crap for wages. Unfortunately many unions today only serve their Union management team and not the workers. If the price is right seem anyone can be bought these days. As a retired Communications worker, Unions made a huge difference in my world until they were bought and paid for by the lobbyist in DC .

Unions great idea in the BEGINNING!!!!! After that THEY had the power and abused it to the point it killed off jobs and business.Also forced busineses to abandon pension plans.Sorry,Still see it the same.Was working,got bought out by a union company,my pay went up 70% for doing the SAME JOB.We had to raise prices because of this and we priced ourselves out of existence.Winner? NOONE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in he dark about this 17 game thing??????    Haven't heard that brought up as a serious thing on any talk show or major report anywhere?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I just happen to believe that the owners are greedy. JMO Whenever you are dealing with greedy people and offer them a way to be even greedier they usually jump on it. If there is a way for owners to make a lot of extra money by having a 17 game regular season with all the extra revenue by it and all they have to do is go back to Sunday and Monday night games, I say greed takes offer. 

Thursday Night football isn't going anywhere, if the owner want to add another game to the schedule, the players and NFLPA would likely fight for 2 BYE weeks as opposed to eliminating Thursday game.

Just now, joemas6 said:

I'm in he dark about this 17 game thing??????    Haven't heard that brought up as a serious thing on any talk show or major report anywhere?   

It hasn't been and before this current CBA owners talked of an 18 game schedule. Even if they got their way with an 18 game schedule, Thursday Night football is here to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Remember ... a lockout is the owners ... not the players.   A Strike is the players.    Looks like they are preparing for a lockout, especially after seeign language in the coaches contracts.    IMO, the players should always prepare for such a thing, in terms of saving money.   you are 22 years old... making $500k  or whatever as a rookie or first year borderline player/late draft pick.... save the money.  If you are borderline, you shouldn't take it for granted... and a 22 year old doesn't need to spend half of that money (after taxes)  I don't see anything wrong with the message.   Perhaps the better prepared they are for a work stoppage, decreases the chances of a work stoppage?   

As for the CBA .... you can give the players an increased share... if they want guaranteed contracts, then we take away the signing bonuses, and deals will also get shorter.      They can skip the 5th year option, not sure that helps rookies or aging vets like they seem concerned about, just makes the 4th-6th year guys even more in demand???     I would also use language to make another mandatory OTA or 2 during the offseason.  

If a player gets 17 game checks .... how much do they get for camp, OTAs etc...  look at the time investment, to me if a guy is here working in May, same as the guy working during the season... he is here working, perhaps split the salaries into 30 weeks ... if they miss time now, they don't get paid?   I'm not talking about the guys rehabing on the sideline, I'm talkign about the guys sipping drinks on a beach!!!!   Or on family vacations.  

There are trade offs for more money an guarantees... like more focus on the work.   Other sports have guarantees ... otehr sports travel for 40 away games or 81 in baseball .... football is 8 overnight stays per season.  Longer seasons in baseball, basketball and hockey though.

Give and take in a CBA... I'll give you more $$$ and guarantees... you put in more time and work for it though.   

 

Lockout/strike no matter really.It all comes down to differences of opinion.Who starts it is immaterial.Same conclusion-count me out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This CBA has been targeted for awhile now. Seems inevitable we have a stoppage. Jenkins and several of the top players have been talking about it for the past couple seasons. The players are preparing themselves to be strong in a holdout. Every time a contract is expiring we hear about it....but the players seem to be really preparing for this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Hey GB, I remember you getting angry with the NFL teams playing in London and hurting venders and etc financially. Maybe the players can rectify that in the next agreement. The players don't like Thursday night football either. Another opportunity to change that with negotiations. Something else most fans never consider. I think last year the NFL signed another 8 year agreement with NIKE to supply NFL uniforms. Yes, the same NIKE that has an international workforce made up of 80 percent women who they pay an average salary of 150.00 a month. The same NIKE that pays its women in their Viet Nam plant 34.00 dollars a week for a 65 hour work week to make sneakers that they sell for 140.00 dollars a pair.  The same NIKE that is paying athletes who are kneeling for human rights millions in endorsements at the expense of other workers. Yep, I would say that there is plenty to get resolved going forward.

Wrang,you are talking about totally different social structures.Is 150.00 a month that bad when everything else is paid for you(such as Japan)? You want an eye opener? Go to Haiti.For .25 you can have a tour guide ALL day and thats a weeks pay for them.Comparing apples to oranges never works. It's all relative.If a new house cost 5,000.00 34 bucks a week aint bad!!! 

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

 

UGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

LOL none of that is going to happen.

There's too much $$$$$$ involved for them to cancel the Thursday games.

Fans also enjoy this on TG day.if they messed with that the whole schedule would go to H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see the Jets job as being a big step up for Douglas. He’s put in all the hard work. You would think he would wait for the right opportunity that he earned to be The Man. Sounds like Gase has the Jets job locked in like Chip did here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t see the Jets job as being a big step up for Douglas. He’s put in all the hard work. You would think he would wait for the right opportunity that he earned to be The Man. Sounds like Gase has the Jets job locked in like Chip did here.

If Gase fails,watch how fast the SHTF.That would put Douglas in a prime spot no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday night football sucks! It screws up everything. It’s an inferior product. Messes up the schedule. And it really screws up fantasy football. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze(if you know what I meam). I do think the league would benefit in many ways to get rid of this bad NFL game night. 

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

If Gase fails,watch how fast the SHTF.That would put Douglas in a prime spot no?

Tough to say. Seems like Douglas has been linked mostly because he has a relationship with Gase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t see the Jets job as being a big step up for Douglas. He’s put in all the hard work. You would think he would wait for the right opportunity that he earned to be The Man. Sounds like Gase has the Jets job locked in like Chip did here.

He could go or he could stay. I have been saying for a long time that any competent talent evaluator would want to hold the reigns on the roster. He will never get that opportunity with the Eagles unless Howie would leave. Howie and Lurie are joined at the hip. This interview with the Jets may just be an opportunity to let the rest of the league know what it will take to pry him away from the Eagles. Offers get out because the press is relentless in finding sources to get them out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Thursday night football sucks! It screws up everything. It’s an inferior product. Messes up the schedule. And it really screws up fantasy football. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze(if you know what I meam). I do think the league would benefit in many ways to get rid of this bad NFL game night. 

Tough to say. Seems like Douglas has been linked mostly because he has a relationship with Gase.

LMAO OH now we need to schedule games cause of fantasy(yours HAHA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Thursday night football sucks! It screws up everything. It’s an inferior product. Messes up the schedule. And it really screws up fantasy football. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze(if you know what I meam). I do think the league would benefit in many ways to get rid of this bad NFL game night. 

Tough to say. Seems like Douglas has been linked mostly because he has a relationship with Gase.

AH grasshoppa.Douglas has proven results HERE,Gase pretty  much has failed everywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

AH grasshoppa.Douglas has proven results HERE,Gase pretty  much has failed everywhere

So why would Douglas take a job under him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

AH grasshoppa.Douglas has proven results HERE,Gase pretty  much has failed everywhere

I view this as a CYA move for the jets on the FO front

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So why would Douglas take a job under him?

IDK about you but sometimes I would take a "lateral" move at work,because there was no future advancement where I was,so you do what you must to get where you are going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO OH now we need to schedule games cause of fantasy(yours HAHA)

Fantasy Football is big business. Even nonfans(like the women demographic) play fantasy. How many extra hits do sites like NFL.com and ESPN get because of fantasy football? I’d say millions. Players need to know injury updates and depth charts. So yes I think it’s a factor. Not the biggest factor but many things to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Fantasy Football is big business. Even nonfans(like the women demographic) play fantasy. How many extra hits do sites like NFL.com and ESPN get because of fantasy football? I’d say millions. Players need to know injury updates and depth charts. So yes I think it’s a factor. Not the biggest factor but many things to consider.

OH so you have to spend that extra 10 minutes on Wed night to set your fantasy line-up-WOW huge effort lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I view this as a CYA move for the jets on the FO front

IDK about you but sometimes I would take a "lateral" move at work,because there was no future advancement where I was,so you do what you must to get where you are going

But that job isn’t known to recycle through the league. Most guys get one shot at it. That’s where it doesn’t compare. You need to build up to get the right job because you probably only get one shot at it. And the Jets job deals if he won’t really get the true position and power but he could take the falll very quickly...and be out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now