DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Here is something to consider if you want a National Healthcare for everyone. I am not saying yeah or nay on it but I know a little bit about the process. My wife and I hosted foreign exchange students from Norway when my girls still lived at home and this is what went on over there to get a National Health care and free college education. First of all a minimum 39 percent Federal income tax for everyone and the higher incomes pay more. A 25 percent value added tax (National Sales Tax) on every thing except what the government deems a necessity. Not many Necessities over there. A 12 percent tax on groceries. I guess they aren't a necessity. A 50 percent tax on any automobile purchase less than 30 years old. You buy a car for 30 thousand, it is taxed 15 grand for a 45 thousand out the door price.  Plus gas is 9 dollars a gallon. Lots of folks riding bikes and motorcycles over there. Most families only own one car. Since you only have to pay for your books when you go to college a lot of students have to wait 3 to 4 years to get into the college of their choice so they work at something they don't really like until they get accepted into college.  There are a lot of ways to skin a cat but this is how Norway does it.

Doesn’t sound too great. But just think how our government would bungle it even more. So inefficient and corrupt I wouldn’t want more money going to them to do anything. Bridges and roads collapsing and outdated everywhere. Can’t actually do anything with that but they still manage to overspend the budget every year. We are struggling just to pay the interest on our national debt. No way I want to give these clowns more.

I think you have to protect the quality of the product. And there are stats everywhere showing Thur games are inferior. Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away from the tens of millions so you can make hundreds of millions more. Part of the Thur package is the late season Sat games. I don’t have a problem with these so much. Last couple weeks of the season after college is done let the NFL ramp things up by having Sat games also.

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Doesn’t sound too great. But just think how our government would bungle it even more. So inefficient and corrupt I wouldn’t want more money going to them to do anything. Bridges and roads collapsing and outdated everywhere. Can’t actually do anything with that but they still manage to overspend the budget every year. We are struggling just to pay the interest on our national debt. No way I want to give these clowns more.

Yep every year we have "infrastructure bills" yet that same thing is collapsing everywhere.Must be those 37.00 govt lightbulbs-pffffft 

50 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Jeffrey Lurie says one of his biggest mistakes was giving control to Chip Kelly. Sorry No Mas.

LOL Yeah, lets hope that a couple years from now Lurie doesn't have to change that biggest mistake to letting Joe Douglas go!   Oregon didn't even give Kelly total control of the roster. I read that he was overruled a lot of times on recruits he wanted in favor of others. 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL Yeah, lets hope that a couple years from now Lurie doesn't have to change that biggest mistake to letting Joe Douglas go!   Oregon didn't even give Kelly total control of the roster. I read that he was overruled a lot of times on recruits he wanted in favor of others. 

Lurie thought Chip could succeed here like he did at Oregon.He found out he was wrong and rather than ride out his 5 year contract,he realized his mistake and got Chip out.Everyone makes boo boo's but I'm glad Lurie made the move when he did.He did allow Chip some time,but he also saw this team wasn't improving.Ped wasn't so stellar year 1 either,but Lurie saw what he was trying to accomplish and that the team wasn't continuing into the dumpster.Ped learned a few things year 1,more year 2.I assume he still has things to learn,but this really is a prime year to put this all together.We have the players,the staff and the FO and fans as well 100% behind this team.Should be a great season.Don't know if we can go all the way,but if everyone stays healthy we have as good  a shot as anyone 

Still loved the "balls to the wall","go with your gut" decision to run the special at Foles recommendation.Ped could have easily said "too risky",but he did what he had to do and history was made.Anxious to see Djax back in for us and if Howard is any semblance of his old self,we should kick some fanny granny

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Jeffrey Lurie says one of his biggest mistakes was giving control to Chip Kelly. Sorry No Mas.

????   Great PR.    While if you read the interview in more detail... you will notice he did say " it did allow him to move on quicker"  which to me was the big picture I was looking for (crap or get off the pot, we already had a 400lb guy on that pot for 14 years).   3 years better than 14 ... you follow?   Lets say he didn't allow Chip to have the power, ... we continue down the mediocre road, but we feel good in our hearts ... because our popular players, who were good in fantasy football, were still here and tipping 10 cents to their waitresses ... Does the SB happen?   I say no.   It's a different subject than debating how much of an idiot Chip was.  

IDK.... if a dude who keeps drinking and driving for 3 years but never has an issue... all of a sudden scrapes his car a little  .... does that help him see that he needs to stop?   IDK????   But if nothing serious happens, he probably goes up to 14 years without realizing he is being dumb?   Gotta get off th hamster wheel that leads to nowhere as soon as you can in life.  

46 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Lurie thought Chip could succeed here like he did at Oregon.He found out he was wrong and rather than ride out his 5 year contract,he realized his mistake and got Chip out.Everyone makes boo boo's but I'm glad Lurie made the move when he did.He did allow Chip some time,but he also saw this team wasn't improving.Ped wasn't so stellar year 1 either,but Lurie saw what he was trying to accomplish and that the team wasn't continuing into the dumpster.Ped learned a few things year 1,more year 2.I assume he still has things to learn,but this really is a prime year to put this all together.We have the players,the staff and the FO and fans as well 100% behind this team.Should be a great season.Don't know if we can go all the way,but if everyone stays healthy we have as good  a shot as anyone 

GBFL... agreed.  Make mistakes and quickly learn from them.    Now we don't need to worry about anything other than 2017 and 2018.   One year you win, and it should make you realize what it took to win.  The following year, what went wrong?    

Lets take a look..... 2017 ... Torrey Smith and Mack Hollins on the outside at #2.     Last year, no outside #2 guy with decent speed.    This year, they add DeSean.     Last year ... no real experience at RB with Smallwood and Adams taking the bulk of the work.... this year, they add Howard and Sanders.  

Draft wise ... they stuck to their board, went after a future LT even htough it wasn't a 2019 need.   It's the type ofdrafting that made them successful compared to reaching for position of need.  

Contracts ... learning from Dawkins fiasco, they kept Graham and Peters around.   Guys whose hearts are still here and can still play at above average level at key spots.  

DL, they had depth at DT in 2017 ... kept the NASCAR package fresh.   Last year not so much.   so they bulk up at DT, adding an interior pass rusher so they don't need to go NASCAR as much.  Keeping the line fresh.    Go take a look at the amount of points given up in the second halves of games in 2017 compared to 2018.  

Many signs the organization is learning from previous success and mistakes.   It's less stubborn than it used to be with Banner and Reid in charge... and Chip too, but I don't count Chip really because I'm looking at Howie and Doug ... who are the new and improved versions of their teachers ... Banner and Reid.   

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

How do you keep him?   Do you hypnotize him to where he never wants to be in charge as a GM?   Might work, not sure there are any other alternatives though?            

It will be interesting to see if Joe Douglas leaves to take the Jets GM position.  Although the Jets say, most likely it's the Jets owner saying it, that Joe would have control of the 53 man roster,  but does that mean he also will have the final word on it also?  With Gase lurking in the background it may be a case of all that glitters may not be gold.  Just have to see on this. 

No Mas, what happened last year is the money blown with Chip caught up to us. So yes we were a little thin. Couldn’t afford to keep our starting RB over 2 million dollars. Jernigan fu69ed us. Keeping Peters hasn’t really been a positive. Held on three years too long. Too emotional over a special player. 

Draft wise. They traded up to take a position of need because they have a dinosaur at the position. Dillard wasn’t talked about as completely NFL ready either. So that situation maybe works out a bit this season. Then didn’t stick to the board for any other picks either. Drafted a RB, go route WR, DE and QB. Positional draft from Rosie. Not a BPA draft.

Not sure what else to say other than I disagree with your post for the most part.

50 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

How do you keep him?   Do you hypnotize him to where he never wants to be in charge as a GM?   Might work, not sure there are any other alternatives though?            

No, you put him in charge of the roster as an official GM if you think he was more instrumental in winning that last Super Bowl than Roseman. Now if you believe that Roseman was more instrumental in winning that Super Bowl than Douglas was, then you let Douglas leave. We all know that Roseman is the best Capologist in the league but we have no idea if he is better than Douglas at judging football talent yet he is getting the credit for it so I guess you have to assume that he is or that Lurie is loyal to a fault. What we do know for sure is that the Eagles never won a Super Bowl until Douglas arrived so without really knowing I will say that Douglas is the common denominator until they win one without him. Even if he would happen to leave this year 50/50, I would give him the credit if the Eagles went on to win the Super Bowl. After the 2019 season its back to Howie and the boys.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... agreed.  Make mistakes and quickly learn from them.    Now we don't need to worry about anything other than 2017 and 2018.   One year you win, and it should make you realize what it took to win.  The following year, what went wrong?    

Lets take a look..... 2017 ... Torrey Smith and Mack Hollins on the outside at #2.     Last year, no outside #2 guy with decent speed.    This year, they add DeSean.     Last year ... no real experience at RB with Smallwood and Adams taking the bulk of the work.... this year, they add Howard and Sanders.  

Draft wise ... they stuck to their board, went after a future LT even htough it wasn't a 2019 need.   It's the type ofdrafting that made them successful compared to reaching for position of need.  

Contracts ... learning from Dawkins fiasco, they kept Graham and Peters around.   Guys whose hearts are still here and can still play at above average level at key spots.  

DL, they had depth at DT in 2017 ... kept the NASCAR package fresh.   Last year not so much.   so they bulk up at DT, adding an interior pass rusher so they don't need to go NASCAR as much.  Keeping the line fresh.    Go take a look at the amount of points given up in the second halves of games in 2017 compared to 2018.  

Many signs the organization is learning from previous success and mistakes.   It's less stubborn than it used to be with Banner and Reid in charge... and Chip too, but I don't count Chip really because I'm looking at Howie and Doug ... who are the new and improved versions of their teachers ... Banner and Reid.   

So paragraph by paragraph.

1) you ask the question. 

2) no outside speed guy? Still had Hollins that you mentioned. And swapped out Torrey for Wallace. Wallace is a better career player than Torrey. Should have been an upgrade actually. Ajayi and Sproles at RB. Seems like plenty of experience. That wasn’t the problem. Durability with those two was the issue. An obvious issue at that.

3) Draft wise: see earlier post. It was a positional draft for need more than a true BPA draft. So just nope.

4) Learning from Dawkins? Peters seem to leave in the middle of every game last year. Not too good. Jenkins holding out now evidently for a fortune. And he’s lost a major step. Add Sproles old a77 to this. He just couldn’t suit up much of last season. Should have moved on. Dawkins still had more juice in the tank than Sproles or Peters.

5)Last year they added NGata. Jernigan was just doing something dumb an injured himself. Yet we still have Jernigan as a very questionable depth. Paid Jackson big money and let Bennett our top rusher go. Bennett was the DT much of the time in passing downs. Is Jackson better than Bennett at rushing the passer? I won’t wait for an answer because it’s a clear...NO! Fresh NASCAR package? Lost Bennett and Long for Vinny. Not an upgrade.

6) Still seem fairly stubborn. Had to draft a QB like AR and Banner would have. Had to draft a DE like Banner and AR would have. New and improved versions? They are younger...I’ll give you that. AR just had the most dynamic offense last year....on a fantastic team. He did that with virtually no defense. Pretty impressive to me. Now he has Spagnola as DC. Pretty equivalent to Schwartz in many ways. Pedey and Rosie have made their own names in this league. But they are paying guys for this year’s play five seasons from now still. So they had better be darn good. Hampering future teams with this year’s salaries....pretty much need to win it all now.

19 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

No, you put him in charge of the roster as an official GM if you think he was more instrumental in winning that last Super Bowl than Roseman. Now if you believe that Roseman was more instrumental in winning that Super Bowl than Douglas was, then you let Douglas leave. We all know that Roseman is the best Capologist in the league but we have no idea if he is better than Douglas at judging football talent yet he is getting the credit for it so I guess you have to assume that he is or that Lurie is loyal to a fault. What we do know for sure is that the Eagles never won a Super Bowl until Douglas arrived so without really knowing I will say that Douglas is the common denominator until they win one without him. Even if he would happen to leave this year 50/50, I would give him the credit if the Eagles went on to win the Super Bowl. After the 2019 season its back to Howie and the boys.

Rosie is good at the job. What has been proven is he needs a personnel guy. I can’t go overboard on Douglas. Better at personnel than Rosie. But that bars low. Kind of think we can get people on that job that can do as well...or even better. Can’t say he’s blasted all the draft picks out of this world. He’s been good. Not unbelievably great. I think he’s in the right job for him. If he thinks he deserves more...like becoming GM...then I wish him luck. Move on. He’s got a solid system of grading talent. Better than what we had before. Nothing irreplaceable though.

We have Lurie, Pedey and Rosie all on the same page in key areas. That is huge. They understand the chemistry. They are big on the analytics. They seem to be reading it all the same. That’s the core of this team.

We did reap some benefits from all the injuries last season. We got to see enough of V to know he really isn’t the answer. We got to see enough of Agholor to know he isn’t really the answer. We got to see enough of Seumalo to know he can handle the job. Vetted Gibson enough to know he won’t likely be the speed receiver answer. Saw enough from Kamu to know he can play in this league. Tested all kinds of secondary players. We learned some just aren’t going to work. Learned some have more to offer than initially thought. Saved a bunch of wasted time sorting through several of those DBs. 

On 5/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

I lived in England for 4 years.  Their "free" healthcare was far from free. Their hospitals looked like something from the 50s and there's such a doctor shortage they they have at least a 6 month wait for non emergency surgeries.

My neighbor, a longshoreman, broke his finger on the job. They took him  to the ER and they didn't have a doctor on duty who spoke English.

No thanx. I'll keep our system

5 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I lived in England for 4 years.  Their "free" healthcare was far from free. Their hospitals looked like something from the 50s and there's such a doctor shortage they they have at least a 6 month wait for non emergency surgeries.

My neighbor, a longshoreman, broke his finger on the job. They took him  to the ER and they didn't have a doctor on duty who spoke English.

No thanx. I'll keep our system

Hey ASG, Down here in Florida we have more and more doctors that English isn't there first language. In fact there is a doctor shortage in the US as well. All of us baby boomers have put a strain on the system to the degree that doctors have had to be brought in from other countries to handle all of us. I just read that 10,000 US citizens each day are turning age 65 and it will continue for the next 14 years. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Rosie is good at the job. What has been proven is he needs a personnel guy. I can’t go overboard on Douglas. Better at personnel than Rosie. But that bars low. Kind of think we can get people on that job that can do as well...or even better. Can’t say he’s blasted all the draft picks out of this world. He’s been good. Not unbelievably great. I think he’s in the right job for him. If he thinks he deserves more...like becoming GM...then I wish him luck. Move on. He’s got a solid system of grading talent. Better than what we had before. Nothing irreplaceable though.

All time Top Ten Gm's in the NFL

1. Al Davis

2. George Halas

3. Tex Schramm

4. Bill Walsh

5. Bobby Beathard

6. D Haley

7. George Young

8. OZZIE NEWSOME

9. Jim Finks

10. Ron Wolf

Honorable Mention

Ernie Accorsi, Bill Belichick, Paul Brown

Joe Douglas studied under Ozzie Newsome for 13 years. Who did Roseman study under?

During his time in Baltimore, Douglas was instrumental in acquiring a number of key performers for the Ravens, both through the draft and during the undrafted free agent signing period. Some of the players that he had a hand in obtaining included QB Joe Flacco, G Ben Grubbs, LB Pernell McPhee, LB C.J. Mosley, K Justin Tucker, CB Lardarius Webb and G Marshal Yanda. Grubbs, Mosley, Yanda and Tucker have combined for 10 Pro Bowls with the Ravens.

Something tells me that the Eagles will miss Joe more than just a little bit! LOL

Ozzie Newsome has always had much respect from me in every phase he has served. He is the ideal GM to me to emulate. I can’t give Douglas credit for riding those coattails however. Great mentor ship for him. I always have appreciated that.  Rosie has a far better contract and rules understanding though. And that is great for Douglas to try and absorb to make him a complete GM.

I feel I have a fair amount of personnel knowledge myself. So I’m not really awestruck by any of these guys. It probably seems boastful.... but never-the-less I think my track record on personnel decisions are better than most GMs. Been very frustrating issue for me much of the time being a fan. Chips ouster with Rosie’s moves thereafter...that moment is probably as close as to in sink with my own thoughts as I’ve ever seen. I didn’t get picking up Patrick Robinson. I was wrong there. I didn’t like the contract we gave Jernigan. Things worked out in a screwed up way to get us out of that. Otherwise I agreed with all of it. Get rid of those Chip guys and get me Wentz. Hire Pedey. I feel like I was the only one on board with his hiring as HC to begin with. So many others on the Gus Bus or whatever....

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We did reap some benefits from all the injuries last season. We got to see enough of V to know he really isn’t the answer. We got to see enough of Agholor to know he isn’t really the answer. We got to see enough of Seumalo to know he can handle the job. Vetted Gibson enough to know he won’t likely be the speed receiver answer. Saw enough from Kamu to know he can play in this league. Tested all kinds of secondary players. We learned some just aren’t going to work. Learned some have more to offer than initially thought. Saved a bunch of wasted time sorting through several of those DBs. 

Read your posts and am a bit confused.You use the term "move on" quite a bit,then also get PO'd cause we pay players.IDK how you can have both things.Team rosters are fluid.If you "move on" then you have inexperienced players,if you pay the ones who stick,then you harp on cap issues.Not saying I agree or disagree with your posts,just trying to figure out which mirrors you are using because you have to balance all these things

45 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

All time Top Ten Gm's in the NFL

1. Al Davis

2. George Halas

3. Tex Schramm

4. Bill Walsh

5. Bobby Beathard

6. D Haley

7. George Young

8. OZZIE NEWSOME

9. Jim Finks

10. Ron Wolf

Honorable Mention

Ernie Accorsi, Bill Belichick, Paul Brown

Joe Douglas studied under Ozzie Newsome for 13 years. Who did Roseman study under?

During his time in Baltimore, Douglas was instrumental in acquiring a number of key performers for the Ravens, both through the draft and during the undrafted free agent signing period. Some of the players that he had a hand in obtaining included QB Joe Flacco, G Ben Grubbs, LB Pernell McPhee, LB C.J. Mosley, K Justin Tucker, CB Lardarius Webb and G Marshal Yanda. Grubbs, Mosley, Yanda and Tucker have combined for 10 Pro Bowls with the Ravens.

Something tells me that the Eagles will miss Joe more than just a little bit! LOL

OHHH I would put Belichick in the top 10.I would solidify that if he keeps winning after Brady retires