DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OHHH I would put Belichick in the top 10.I would solidify that if he keeps winning after Brady retires

Let me see if I can find the article for you to read on why Belichick is not yet in the top ten GB. I think was because he is not generally recognized as a great talent evaluator.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Things worked out in a screwed up way to get us out of that" Was it luck or was it planned?? THIS is why we have Howie.Like Newsome.always have also,but thats not the main reason we hired Howie.As you know he understood he needed to go out and get more in tune with being a "football guy",and he did that.So I dont care who he "studied" under.I'll take guys that see their weaknesses and go out and fix them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Let me see if I can find the article for you to read on why Belichick is not yet in the top ten GB. I think was because he is not generally recognized as a great talent evaluator.  

So as a GM if you HIRE those people,that doesn't make you "great?" Isn't a bosses job to hire those under him to do the things he cannot? His talent as an evaluator falls into evaluating the talent to find evaluators lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Thanks Wrang,but I will still disagree.Top coach who HIRES his evaluators and has how many rings???? Seems like a top GM IMO on making those evaluators decisions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other words,if you know your main talent is not as an evaluator,but you go out and hire the best ones,that should make you a top GM based on that decision making and evaluating the evaluators you hire.Just my view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thanks Wrang,but I will still disagree.Top coach who HIRES his evaluators and has how many rings???? Seems like a top GM IMO on making those evaluators decisions

The whole thing is subjective anyway. My point was that Douglas had thirteen years as an understudy with Ozzie Newsome. If none of that rubbed off on him, he must be dumb as a brick and I don't think he is. This whole situation of him wanting final control of the roster is understandable if he is going to be judged as a failure or success by his roster. Howie is further up the food chain than Douglas anyway even if he was given an official title of GM with final control of the roster. This whole things boils down to ego like always and not so much the money. There are a whole lot of large ego's on our team. Maybe that's good and maybe it's not. Like I said, no Super Bowls were won until Douglas arrived. Is he perfect? I can't say however after rooting for the Eagles since 1965, he certainly is a breath of fresh air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The whole thing is subjective anyway. My point was that Douglas had thirteen years as an understudy with Ozzie Newsome. If none of that rubbed off on him, he must be dumb as a brick and I don't think he is. This whole situation of him wanting final control of the roster is understandable if he is going to be judged as a failure or success by his roster. Howie is further up the food chain than Douglas anyway even if he was given an official title of GM with final control of the roster. This whole things boils down to ego like always and not so much the money. There are a whole lot of large ego's on our team. Maybe that's good and maybe it's not. Like I said, no Super Bowls were won until Douglas arrived. Is he perfect? I can't say however after rooting for the Eagles since 1965, he certainly is a breath of fresh air.

I can agree with this.The Jets org is a disaster,but they are throwing money around.If it was me and they did this(take Douglas),I'll take the Jets guy(I cant spell his name off the top of my head.He did pretty well for them this year on paper,but of course that is yet unproven,and they had a ton to spend.But seems to me he would be someone I would take a look at if we lose Douglas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The whole thing is subjective anyway. My point was that Douglas had thirteen years as an understudy with Ozzie Newsome. If none of that rubbed off on him, he must be dumb as a brick and I don't think he is. This whole situation of him wanting final control of the roster is understandable if he is going to be judged as a failure or success by his roster. Howie is further up the food chain than Douglas anyway even if he was given an official title of GM with final control of the roster. This whole things boils down to ego like always and not so much the money. There are a whole lot of large ego's on our team. Maybe that's good and maybe it's not. Like I said, no Super Bowls were won until Douglas arrived. Is he perfect? I can't say however after rooting for the Eagles since 1965, he certainly is a breath of fresh air.

IDK ,I guess I am a "different" soul.I would not make a change based on money.As long as I was paid well,I am not the greedy type and would rather stick around to see what I built come to fruition rather than jump up and down cause I would make 5,000 more a year.Not everyone can be top dog.If I was fired,then of course I would seek other employment,but as long as we are having success,my ego wouldn't get in the way.I'd rather say "I was part of a 5 time SB winner" than "I am a GM because I deserve it" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty simple FL...everybody wants to be the boss and have the buck stop there. Short of being an owner...that’s what Rosie is. That’s what I expect Douglas feels he should be.

I just don’t think that’s what the train wreck in NY is actually offering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets owner and CEO were trying to hire a coach before they fired Bowles. Those things matter. The owner and CEO gave Gase the power to retain or fire their GM. That also matters. How you conduct business sticks with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK ,I guess I am a "different" soul.I would not make a change based on money.As long as I was paid well,I am not the greedy type and would rather stick around to see what I built come to fruition rather than jump up and down cause I would make 5,000 more a year.Not everyone can be top dog.If I was fired,then of course I would seek other employment,but as long as we are having success,my ego wouldn't get in the way.I'd rather say "I was part of a 5 time SB winner" than "I am a GM because I deserve it" 

I never met you in person GB but I know by your comments that you are not a type A personality. Just like a football player strives for the pro bowl for the prestige a talent evaluator strives for the GM position for the same reason. There are only 32 of them just like the head coach. JMO. I am not a type A personality either. When I was a manager I believed in a managing style by consensus. If we couldn't decide by consensus, I made the decision but it didn't happen real often.  IMO that is the only way for subordinates to take ownership in their jobs.  So it is hard for me as well to understand being somewhat of a dictator in management although I have worked with a couple of them. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas, what happened last year is the money blown with Chip caught up to us. So yes we were a little thin. Couldn’t afford to keep our starting RB over 2 million dollars. Jernigan fu69ed us. Keeping Peters hasn’t really been a positive. Held on three years too long. Too emotional over a special player. 

    Draft wise. They traded up to take a position of need because they have a dinosaur at the position. Dillard wasn’t talked about as completely NFL ready either. So that situation maybe works out a bit this season. Then didn’t stick to the board for any other picks either. Drafted a RB, go route WR, DE and QB. Positional draft from Rosie. Not a BPA draft.

  Not sure what else to say other than I disagree with your post for the most part.

??? ... which was the money blown with Chip?    Go over exact players and to where the dead money caught up last year?      I need to hear this one!   The cap expert here....lol  

I'll start for you .... Murray and Maxwell counted for $8.8 mil of dead money in 2016.      The Eagles carried over $6.1 mil of cap towards 2019.    That's $2.7 mil difference.    But you tell me.... which free agent signing would have meant a big difference in 2018 ?     It was the big factor over injuries????   

Now... here wil lbe your counter.... somehow Sam Bradford will come into play ... his money will count in your head, yet you won't factor the savings from McCoy or DeSean to offset the #s.    Nor will you factor that dead money that counted in 2016-2017 for Bradford and the Chase Daniel cap hit ... which were both done while Doug was coach and Howie made the call.   Nor will you factor in that we have Wentz instead of Foles and Barnett due to the transactions involving Bradford.    IDK, do you think Nick takes us home from start to finish in 2017?   I like Wentz going forward.  Also, we would have had to pay Foles real money in 2016 & 2017 as his rookie deal was up in 2015  ...so you factor in payng Bradford, Maxwell and Murray ... but saving money on DeSean, LeSean and Foles.     Then you factor in how Foles, led to Bradford which led to Wentz.   Can we get Wentz without using Alonzo, Maxwell and Murray to move up?   Would Barnett been the pick in 2017 either way?   Would the 1st rounder in 2016 instead of Wentz been a factor?           

IDK ... to me all the good and the bad ... from the Sam Hinkie part of what was done ... I like that we started over and got rid of the fantasy football players.   I think Foles benefited from his experience and struggles outside of Philly.  I think DeSean will too.   I just didn't like the road that we were on at the end of the Reid era.   Swapping one bad for another is how I saw it, with a totally clean slate in 2016 to start over.   Also... I would add I think Howie has changed since coming back... for the better.     

If you look at Reid and Chip in terms of time.... in relation to how long Doug has been our coach.    Chip would have been done after the Houston game last year ... Andy would have 11 more years without a SB.   To me, who cares that Chip was worse, we got rid of him in less than 3 years, took 14 to realize Andy couldn't do it.... KC still finding out.    20 years, one SB appearance... zero wins.  To me bigger issue.  

I mean you go out with a girl for 14 dates before you relaize she isn't the one.... vs going out with another one 3 times.   Does it matter which one was worse, if neither is the one, you wasted more time with the first one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

No, you put him in charge of the roster as an official GM if you think he was more instrumental in winning that last Super Bowl than Roseman. Now if you believe that Roseman was more instrumental in winning that Super Bowl than Douglas was, then you let Douglas leave. 

I think we all know Lurie thinks its Howie.   I think most people agree with Lurie.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Pretty simple FL...everybody wants to be the boss and have the buck stop there. Short of being an owner...that’s what Rosie is. That’s what I expect Douglas feels he should be.

I just don’t think that’s what the train wreck in NY is actually offering.

Depends,at some point everyone reaches their point of ineptitude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The Jets owner and CEO were trying to hire a coach before they fired Bowles. Those things matter. The owner and CEO gave Gase the power to retain or fire their GM. That also matters. How you conduct business sticks with you.

My guess(lets see if I end up right).Snag Douglas,give Gase 2 years.Gase goes away,douglas gets promoted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I never met you in person GB but I know by your comments that you are not a type A personality. Just like a football player strives for the pro bowl for the prestige a talent evaluator strives for the GM position for the same reason. There are only 32 of them just like the head coach. JMO. I am not a type A personality either. When I was a manager I believed in a managing style by consensus. If we couldn't decide by consensus, I made the decision but it didn't happen real often.  IMO that is the only way for subordinates to take ownership in their jobs.  So it is hard for me as well to understand being somewhat of a dictator in management although I have worked with a couple of them. LOL

Had a few jobs where I was top dog.People I hired under me filled in what I was not terrific at.As a team,we were the best the company had,because we all had various talents.If I got a decent raise,(and I made this known very well),I would not accept it unless they gave my staff a raise also.My staff loved this about me because I would share the accolades.If the company wasn't willing to pay my staff,I would refuse the raise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So paragraph by paragraph.

1) you ask the question. 

2) no outside speed guy? Still had Hollins that you mentioned. And swapped out Torrey for Wallace. Wallace is a better career player than Torrey. Should have been an upgrade actually. Ajayi and Sproles at RB. Seems like plenty of experience. That wasn’t the problem. Durability with those two was the issue. An obvious issue at that.

3) Draft wise: see earlier post. It was a positional draft for need more than a true BPA draft. So just nope.

4) Learning from Dawkins? Peters seem to leave in the middle of every game last year. Not too good. Jenkins holding out now evidently for a fortune. And he’s lost a major step. Add Sproles old a77 to this. He just couldn’t suit up much of last season. Should have moved on. Dawkins still had more juice in the tank than Sproles or Peters.

5)Last year they added NGata. Jernigan was just doing something dumb an injured himself. Yet we still have Jernigan as a very questionable depth. Paid Jackson big money and let Bennett our top rusher go. Bennett was the DT much of the time in passing downs. Is Jackson better than Bennett at rushing the passer? I won’t wait for an answer because it’s a clear...NO! Fresh NASCAR package? Lost Bennett and Long for Vinny. Not an upgrade.

6) Still seem fairly stubborn. Had to draft a QB like AR and Banner would have. Had to draft a DE like Banner and AR would have. New and improved versions? They are younger...I’ll give you that. AR just had the most dynamic offense last year....on a fantastic team. He did that with virtually no defense. Pretty impressive to me. Now he has Spagnola as DC. Pretty equivalent to Schwartz in many ways. Pedey and Rosie have made their own names in this league. But they are paying guys for this year’s play five seasons from now still. So they had better be darn good. Hampering future teams with this year’s salaries....pretty much need to win it all now.

1.  Not sure what that is?

2.  In 2018 they had no speed guy on the outside that actually played ... they learned from the results... they got a speed guy in 2019 because on the field in 2018... Hollins wasn't there and neither was Wallace... ON THE FIELD.     

3.   Draft ... where did most people have Dillard ranked when he was on the board?   Was he the highest on most people's list.   While you (HAM the expert probably had some pass rusher higher and were disappointed in the pick)  The fact remains... they didn't draft a day 1 starter in 2019 ... which is the positional need.   Best case scenario their #1 pick won't see the field... that is what they are hoping for, regardless if its reality... you don't hope for that when you draft need.

4.  Peters and Graham ... Peters and Graham.... what does Sproles or any other guy have to do with it.  Those are long time Eagles playing above average and at key spots.   Guys that people pay attention to how you handle their contracts.     

5.  Bennett was a problem because he wanted more money... while you are in denial, its the truth.   I like Jackson rushing from the inside and providing better depth overall.   I like Curry vs the run on early downs.  I think both of those create a system where Barnett and Graham will get more rest.   Jernigan had his own issues.... cant blame the front office for that one.

6.  Not worried about drafting a QB ... of course you are draft expert and can see all the great players around pick 200 or whatever it was... I'm not too worried.    Not sure how we will be paying guys and at what amount 5 seasons from now?.. but you are the one who is the cap expert.   Tell me... how much dead money will count in an uncapped year or a possible lockout?      FYI.. in 2024 we have $1.56 mil on the books ... very crippling ...lol.  Cap might be $250-300 mil by then ... it will be a tight squeeze, but we should be ok.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

 

I mean you go out with a girl for 14 dates before you relaize she isn't the one.... vs going out with another one 3 times.   Does it matter which one was worse, if neither is the one, you wasted more time with the first one.  

The first one(AR) is a great coach. Had nothing but success with us. But his son committed suicide and his trusted partner the great DC(JJ) passes away. So yes I completely understand what happened at the end with AR. He was great to date. And I still believe wife material(to keep with your analogy). But Chip was just a dirty **** that had AIDS. So no matter how you spin it you don’t want to date such a filthy beast. And you got stuck paying the price. 

   You can be happy that you only went on three dates with the trash. I just won’t lower my standards. AR needed a fresh start. I agree there on both sides. Still isn’t going to make me believe the Chip hire was a good one. Chip is an egomaniac that doesn’t work well with others. Ran a gimmick scheme. Obvious to me. You thought it brilliant. He was the trash girlfriend. At least recognize it now and realize the mistake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are the only one that still stands behind the Chip hiring. Lurie even just came out and claimed it his biggest mistake. But No Mas will stick by it until the end. It sucked! You were wrong! Deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe,also want to mention we lost some good coaches in Fipp,Defilippo and Reich.Could have been "what went wrong"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

1.  Not sure what that is?

2.  In 2018 they had no speed guy on the outside that actually played ... they learned from the results... they got a speed guy in 2019 because on the field in 2018... Hollins wasn't there and neither was Wallace... ON THE FIELD.     

3.   Draft ... where did most people have Dillard ranked when he was on the board?   Was he the highest on most people's list.   While you (HAM the expert probably had some pass rusher higher and were disappointed in the pick)  The fact remains... they didn't draft a day 1 starter in 2019 ... which is the positional need.   Best case scenario their #1 pick won't see the field... that is what they are hoping for, regardless if its reality... you don't hope for that when you draft need.

4.  Peters and Graham ... Peters and Graham.... what does Sproles or any other guy have to do with it.  Those are long time Eagles playing above average and at key spots.   Guys that people pay attention to how you handle their contracts.     

5.  Bennett was a problem because he wanted more money... while you are in denial, its the truth.   I like Jackson rushing from the inside and providing better depth overall.   I like Curry vs the run on early downs.  I think both of those create a system where Barnett and Graham will get more rest.   Jernigan had his own issues.... cant blame the front office for that one.

6.  Not worried about drafting a QB ... of course you are draft expert and can see all the great players around pick 200 or whatever it was... I'm not too worried.    Not sure how we will be paying guys and at what amount 5 seasons from now?.. but you are the one who is the cap expert.   Tell me... how much dead money will count in an uncapped year or a possible lockout?      FYI.. in 2024 we have $1.56 mil on the books ... very crippling ...lol.  Cap might be $250-300 mil by then ... it will be a tight squeeze, but we should be ok.   

So much garbage to address in one long a77 post. I’ll still play along and try.

1) you asked a question. Not really holding you over any coals for that

2) in 2018 we had Hollins and Wallace. You say they weren’t on the field. But Desean and Hollins aren’t on the field yet in 2019 either, right? Season isn’t even near yet.

3) I like Dillard. I have high hopes. But I disagree about need. Huge need. Our starting LT is a baby boomer for goodness sakes. He hasn’t been able to play a full game hardly at all for two straight seasons. And all the other picks. It was positional draft selecting. We’ve been needing RB for years(since Shady got shipped for your boy All Star Kiko). Smallwood hasn’t ever been good enough. The Pats stole Sony from underneath us last year. Need! Positional draft decision.  We needed a go route receiver. Looks like you even acknowledge this in your post. JAWA...need! Positional draft decision. DE need! Positional draft decision.  QB that had set in their minds well before the draft. We heard all the talk even from Lurie about drafting a QB. Not really going to call Thorson need but it was a positional draft decision.

4) Great we keep old fossils that can’t suit up in Peters. Not really sure what your point is here. The last two seasons he was kept too long. At least this year we have someone real to actually transition to in Dillard. I do believe it happens this season.

5) Bennett was very cheap considering his production. Seems like if we had money we could easily have given him the tiny raise NE gave him. Doubt he even would have wanted that much to stay with us. Jernigan screwing up I don’t blame Rosie for. I believe it bailed Rosie out of his worst contract, actually. But it hurt last year. Same as Hollins and Wallace hurt. You held that against last year’s team....in favor of the same Hollins(who still hasn’t suited up by the way) and the ever durable yet aging DJax.

6) Thorson was a positional pick. You don’t care because it was the last pick. But it was the theme throughout our draft. And yes that seems like a small amount for 2024. But it’s part of four years of paying for play this season. I’d rather have cleared the cap instead of dealing with Chip so we aren’t borrowing from the future at all. Kind of weird how close that money in 2024 is to the raise that would have kept Bennett here. Or kept our starting RB last season. Seems like it does matter afterall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 7:11 PM, 1wrangler said:

Here is something to consider if you want a National Healthcare for everyone. I am not saying yeah or nay on it but I know a little bit about the process. My wife and I hosted foreign exchange students from Norway when my girls still lived at home and this is what went on over there to get a National Health care and free college education. First of all a minimum 39 percent Federal income tax for everyone and the higher incomes pay more. A 25 percent value added tax (National Sales Tax) on every thing except what the government deems a necessity. Not many Necessities over there. A 12 percent tax on groceries. I guess they aren't a necessity. A 50 percent tax on any automobile purchase less than 30 years old. You buy a car for 30 thousand, it is taxed 15 grand for a 45 thousand out the door price.  Plus gas is 9 dollars a gallon. Lots of folks riding bikes and motorcycles over there. Most families only own one car. Since you only have to pay for your books when you go to college a lot of students have to wait 3 to 4 years to get into the college of their choice so they work at something they don't really like until they get accepted into college.  There are a lot of ways to skin a cat but this is how Norway does it.

But Norway doesn't have 350 million people either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I think we all know Lurie thinks its Howie.   I think most people agree with Lurie.    

I couldn't agree unless I had all the information. I will never get all the inside information so I have to decide on the info I have at my disposal.  Joe Banner hired Howie and Don Smolenski at the same time and then left shortly after. Howie was initially hired as a personnel executive in charge of managing the cap and negotiating contracts. He has done an excellent job in that capacity. Howie was promoted to GM in 2010 has had no Super Bowl wins to his name until Douglas came along. That is the info I have at my disposal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

But Norway doesn't have 350 million people either

5.2 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now